My Intimate Wedding TR/ SBP / V & A's

Thank you to everyone! I really am glad you are enjoying reading this TR.

Disneydreamer: You live in GA? I live in Texas. See, it's a Southern woman thang. We act all sweet and we are, really--we will about bake a bundt cake for anyone. If we were over in Baghdad we would bake a cake for Saddam's widow(s). "Hey, we heard about your husband's hangin' and all, and we just think he needed it, now, but here! We baked you a lemon bundt cake, from Mama's recipe! You take care now!"

But we are just not to be screwed with. We put up with enough nonsense--people making fun of how we say "fixin' to" and "all y'all" and worshiping football--and thinking making cheer squad is the epitome of all life's aspirations for Womankind. ("Well, sure, Condelleeza Rice is Secretary of State, and has a doctorate from Stanford and all--but was she ever on cheer squad? Prom queen? No? tsk tsk. Well, bless her heart anyhow--she couldda stayed home! No wonder she's not married, we whisper behind our hands--she's too smart! Men don't like that sorta thing, you know? Then we wink at each other, because men just don't like to be reminded that we are smarter than them, that's all--and if you are Secretary of State, well; it's gonna be kinda hard to ignore. )

Difference between Southern Women and our Yankee sisters: Just about everything Southern women say ends in an exclamation point! It's true. ! We tend to think Yankee women are depressed because of the lack of exclamation points in their conversation.

Okay, well, Maggs, if you haven't lost weight it might just be because you don't need to. You are beautiful. Just concentrate on being healthy, don't worry about the dang scale. And, I can't write a romance novel, I don't think, because I just have this one story to tell. Other than that it's just a long string of depressing dates and stuff. You know, where I am sitting there listening to some guy yammer on about Texas football or NASCAR or how "evil" his ex-wife is (snort--yeah--she's evil--suresure-those witches that want that child support! The nerve!) and I would think to myself: I could be home organizing my laundry room shelves right now. And that guy has really skinny shoulders. Wait, how many times did he just say he was married before? What am I doing here?

Lady Di: It's okay about the photos, I understand. How are you feeling? Kel and I are sending y'all something, soon as we can find what it is we are looking for. (Hint: It's not a bundt cake.) I am working on taking down our trees, too! LOL! I did get everything else put away, and I have stopped plugging the trees in. Baby steps.

Work is still insane. I'd quit, but we have those whaadyacallits? Mortgage payments. So later today, or no later than manana! And I'll tell you about the wedding :love: and Victoria and Albert's :snooty:

Ciao! :)

This is my first post in this thread but I have been following along the whole time! I have to say this is the most entertaining trip report I have ever read in my life! popcorn:: :lmao: I can't wait for you to get to the wedding! Congrats!

me too. please keep it coming! I'm getting married at SBP and would love to hear all about it.. your TR Is fantastic! congrats!

I've subscribed! I have been laughing out loud! Can't wait to here what happened next!

Congratulations!

Kim, I saw your wedding pictures - you are such a beautiful bride! :goodvibes

Your dress is the most beautiful I have ever seen! :love:

Congratulations on you wedding! I am anxiously waiting for more installments of you trip report!

It has been so long since I posted I had to go back and re-read my own TR to see where I left off. :surfweb: Kelly surprised me with a long weekend ski trip, and work is still..work-like. We came home just in time to see our city shut down by an ice storm, and had to spend another day at home sitting by the fire...oh, darn! :goodvibes The dumbest man in the office--who is, of course--it's axiomatic-- higher in grade than I am (I just don't kiss @$$ like I should) just about accused me of engineering the ice storm. :lmao: "Yes, and you better be nice to me, or I'll arrange for a tornado to suck you up to Oz."

My friends at work were laughing about it after the meeting, but really: It's So Not Funny. This man has an important position ("important" meaning the decisions he makes affect a great number of people) and he is dumb as a post. Not only is he dense as my grandmama's pound cake but he is afflicted with envy, on a 7 deadly sins scale. Ah, my professional life. :scared: and :eek:

Anyway.

I told ya'll about the yapping desk clerk...we finished with photos at the GF and before I know it, it is time to leave to get married!

We took the limo over to the Boardwalk and as I had never been to WDW before I was surprised by the size of the place. It's huge! It took about 15 minutes to drive over there, but it was great to spend some quiet time with Kelly (and get a drink of bottled water!) Kelly thought of everything, wrapping my bottle in a napkin to absorb the condensation and putting a straw in the bottle. I had to laugh because watching him do that for me I had the same thought I had on our very fist date, namely, "Oh, maaaannn...this guy is a keeper," and three (3) dates later when he looked at me, kissed my hand and said, "You are a keeper," well, I KNEW. They say you will know when it is right, and they are right. Whoever they are.

There were some rain drops hitting the windshield of the limo on the way over--uh oh. Hey, is it just me, or are limos kinda goofy? I mean, in a sorta 80's disco club way?

We met Tanis in the lobby of the Boardwalk and I FINALLY (haha) got my flowers. They were gorgeous--I loved them! All in shades of white and ivory; gardenias, roses, freesia, mini callas, dendrobium orchids and stephanotis with pearl centers. There were several crystal hidden Mickeys and the stem was wrapped in ivory ribbon, criss-crossed with a thinner gold ribbon. Kelly's buttonhole was a calla. Rosie and Disney floral did a fantastic job--and I am a bit of a flower fiend; I know quality flowers because I worked part time for one of the best florists ever! while I was in high school. :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 :thumbsup2 to Disney floral and Rosie. BTW, my flowers stayed gorgeous for days and days--even the gardenias held up for at least two days. I hated leaving them when we left to fly home. Kelly got a huge kick out of this.

The Boardwalk is a really cute resort--if we ever go back I think we will stay there. It is walking distance to Epcot, and we loved Epcot. Tanis told us our cake cutting was brought indoors because of the threat of rain. Rain + wedding cake = disaster, she says. "Ha!", I think; "Rain + hair and make-up + dress = true disaster! Screw the cake!" But I just smile and nod. I have now reached the smiling and nodding apex of my entire life. I seem to have lost all brain function. Seriously. The last brain wave function I had was back at the GF, when I decided I might have to hurt me a little desk clerk.

Maybe wearing so much make-up killed my brain? Hmmm...interesting theory. I should conduct an experiment (with govt grant money, of course). I'll test some Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders and see if they are smarter before they put their make-up on. Wait. That won't work. I don't think they ever take their make-up off. Never mind. :cheer2:

Note to self, here: Focus on your trip report, Kim. Focus.

I talked to some people (strangers/new friends) in the lobby, and everyone was so sweet, wishing us well and being so kind. I think that is probably one of the nicer parts about being married at Disney--the :flower3: from everyone. In the case of Kelly and I, we had decided to "elope" because we couldn't really have a wedding of less than about 100 people without hurting peoples' feelings--and our guest list could have easily gone above 250-300--and this being our second marriage we just felt the money could best be spent elsewhere (like in helping our grown kids out) so the good wishes of strangers were very welcome. I missed some friends and family more than I thought I might. However, and OTOH, just being the two of us was so hassle free that I would do it the same way over again--to the same man, of course! ;)

We walked to SBP across the boardwalk and it was really threatening rain. The walk is sorta longish but I kept my dress up so it wouldn't get soiled around the bottom and my shoes were super comfy--I congratulated myself for going with the simple classic high heel pump in leather (not satin) since I knew I would be outside and satin just doesn't hold up well. Also they are just not as comfortable (satin doesn't give) and who wants barking dawgs on their wedding day? I was sooo tempted by some of the Cynthia Rowley's though...but...we interrupt this trip report for some UNSOLICITED ADVICE: Ladies, go for comfort over high fashion in this area. Your feet will thank you, and any brides that are having the full Monty wedding will be on those poor little dawgs for 6+ hours.

We got to SBP and "happylalagirl" and her brand new hubby (Diane and Andrew) were there! :goodvibes These two are so great; funny, considerate-- just all around awesome people. We liked them immediately, and felt like we had known them for much longer than we had. Which was, uh, about 5 minutes. We had made it up, via email, for them to come to our wedding since they would be at WDW for theirs.

Stop telling me what to do! Get outta the way! Let's get this party started! Or: My Wedding

Tanis and Randy saying "walk over here", and "No, walk over there" and me just smiling like an idiot. Tanis and Randy squabbling a bit. I'm still smiling. I think I might really have lost my mind. I seem to be in some sort of happiness bubble, impenetrable by outside forces. Rev. Jack talking to me while Tanis stands first on one foot then the other, glancing at the threatening looking sky every ten seconds. Making me a little nervous, she is. Hey Tanis, don't blow my bliss. :cloud9: Randy looking like he would cheerfully strangle "someone" but winking at me. Nice man, that Randy. He's got a protective brotherly vibe about him that is comforting. Tanis is all about pomp and circumstance, Randy was all about the photo ops--- and me? I just wanna say "I do" already!

It is the moment I have been waiting and hoping and planning for-- the (okay, can't think of anything to say here that isn't all cliche and trite. Sorry.) joining of two lives. Rev. Jack says a very sweet thing when he says, 'You all are such a great looking couple--Disney should keep you here as advertising.' I laugh and think to myself, "For whom? The AARP re-marriage crowd?" Still, it's a kind thing to say, and one thing we know for sure-my sense of humor will probably keep me from ever getting too high an opinion of myself. I'll never be a "Miss Biggie-Pants", as my grandma would say.

So there I am. Standing there with Kelly and trying to listen to Rev. Jack. Just wanting to look at Kelly. Glancing up at him, and see that he's looking at me. Smiling at him, and he squeezes my hand. Feeling suddenly shy. Standing there all I can think of is how blessed I am. I am so blessed, and while Rev. Jack is giving his homily (does any bride really hear anything being said that is not being said by her groom? I wonder.) The entire time I have my own inner soliloquy going; I am telling God how grateful I am. I am not sure what I ever did to deserve this man, this moment, this life, but I am so grateful.

Okay, I'm gonna digress a little, if anyone is still with me here. There is a lot of ugliness in the world. A lot of people hurting other people for no good reason. Oh, they think they have a good reason; wrong religion, wrong skin color, wrong political beliefs. In Afghanistan I have seen a woman hanging from a tree in her own front yard, put to death by her husband for some crime, real or imagined. Hell, he was probably just tired of her, wanted to marry his 14 year old cousin. All the men in the village congratulating him for handling things like a man. In Somalia I have seen people crushing children and old people so they could get food--well, they were starving, you say? Naw. They were war lords/thugs, and they would take the food and blackmail the truly starving people for it. And the blackmail was really ugly; give me your wife, your daughter, your house, and I'll give you this food so you can feed the rest of your family. Without it they die, with it you get to live the rest of your life knowing what it cost you. I have seen UN peacekeepers use bottled water as an enticement for sex with little girls, babies, really--younger than my daughters were at the time. Using their position entrusted to them to further abuse the world's most vulnerable. Yep. Lotta ugliness in the world. And unfortunately one doesn't need to go as far away as Afghanistan, Iraq or Somalia to find it. But there is a lot of beauty, too. There are a few moments in our lives that almost cancel out the ugliness: the first time we are kissed by the one we will spend the rest of our lives with, and we are lucky enough, we have lived enough, to know. The births of our children. Watching the kids grow up, helping them live their own dream, and seeing them graduate college, and marry the men of their dreams--and the first time I held my own grandson in my arms. :love: Mountaintop moments in time that go so far towards wiping away all the pain, monotony and horror of dwelling in the valleys.

Why have I digressed like this? What's my point? My point (and I swear I have one) is just this: Lots of brides planning weddings, all worried about this or that detail. Placecards. Favors. Shades of pink. Okay, I'm with ya. I know, it all matters. Just please don't forget what really matters. Take time to count all your blessings. Take a little time to thank God you live in a country that is free (even if the Disney wedding of your dreams isn't-har har). Maybe you can't have the coach, the fireworks or Mickey and Minnie, but you don't live in place where hanging you in your own front yard is not just condoned, but celebrated. Your children, God willing, will never have to trade their innocence for a bottle of water. And whatever your political beliefs, take a moment to be grateful there are men and women willing to put on some Kevlar (and wear pants that make your hips look HUGE) and for way not enough money, make sure it is ever thus.

End of lecture. Ahem. Too much? Sorry. I get like this sometimes.

Then, way too soon, and not soon enough, the wedding ceremony is over. A kiss for luck and the best rest of my life starts. :cloud9:

Diane and Andrew had a reunion with Randy Chapman (they had been married the day before) and Andrew told Diane Randy would feel as if they were stalking him...so Diane starts up "Hey Randy! Where are my photos? You got them for me yet?" :lmao: I think randy thought for a second he had a bridezilla on his hands.

The reception was held in one of the small reception rooms at the Boardwalk, and Disney did a great job on the cake table and set up. Very nice. Tanis is still bossing me around, but I need it because I still have that brain fart thing happening. We dance our first dance (Note: it is hard to dance on carpeting) and then Diane and Andrew dance with us. I am so glad they came; some people just know how to add to an event. Cut the cake (ugh, awkward--who started that tradition?) drink some champagne--tell Diane I don't drink, and then prove my low alcohol tolerance by almost falling out of my chair. LOL and sigh. What a dork. Had a great time, and Andrew and Diane gave us a card and very generous gift. Love you guys! :grouphug:

Dinner after was at Victoria and Albert's, where we had truffles and hummingbird tongues on a ganache of crouton imported from Mars, in a light filigree of blahblahblah sauce. Bottom line: $675.

Victoria and Albert's: TURN UP THE AIR, TURN ON A LIGHT, and SPEAK ENGLISH.

Highlight of the evening: Negotiating a potty break without soaking my train and/or or breaking my neck. :banana:

Lord, but I'm good. :dance3:

Next installment: Throw down with a bellman, or: Why does everything happen to me?

There is a lot of ugliness in the world. A lot of people hurting other people for no good reason. Oh, they think they have a good reason; wrong religion, wrong skin color, wrong political beliefs. In Afghanistan I have seen a woman hanging from a tree in her own front yard, put to death by her husband for some crime, real or imagined. Hell, he was probably just tired of her, wanted to marry his 14 year old cousin. All the men in the village congratulating him for handling things like a man. In Somalia I have seen people crushing children and old people so they could get food--well, they were starving, you say? Naw. They were war lords/thugs, and they would take the food and blackmail the truly starving people for it. And the blackmail was really ugly; give me your wife, your daughter, your house, and I'll give you this food so you can feed the rest of your family. Without it they die, with it you get to live the rest of your life knowing what it cost you. I have seen UN peacekeepers use bottled water as an enticement for sex with little girls, babies, really--younger than my daughters were at the time. Using their position entrusted to them to further abuse the world's most vulnerable. Yep. Lotta ugliness in the world. And unfortunately one doesn't need to go as far away as Afghanistan, Iraq or Somalia to find it. But there is a lot of beauty, too. There are a few moments in our lives that almost cancel out the ugliness: the first time we are kissed by the one we will spend the rest of our lives with, and we are lucky enough, we have lived enough, to know. The births of our children. Watching the kids grow up, helping them live their own dream, and seeing them graduate college, and marry the men of their dreams--and the first time I held my own grandson in my arms. :love: Mountaintop moments in time that go so far towards wiping away all the pain, monotony and horror of dwelling in the valleys.

Why have I digressed like this? What's my point? My point (and I swear I have one) is just this: Lots of brides planning weddings, all worried about this or that detail. Placecards. Favors. Shades of pink. Okay, I'm with ya. I know, it all matters. Just please don't forget what really matters. Take time to count all your blessings. Take a little time to thank God you live in a country that is free (even if the Disney wedding of your dreams isn't-har har). Maybe you can't have the coach, the fireworks or Mickey and Minnie, but you don't live in place where hanging you in your own front yard is not just condoned, but celebrated. Your children, God willing, will never have to trade their innocence for a bottle of water. And whatever your political beliefs, take a moment to be grateful there are men and women willing to put on some Kevlar (and wear pants that make your hips look HUGE) and for way not enough money, make sure it is ever thus.

End of lecture. Ahem. Too much?

No, never too much to be reminded that there are ALWAYS more important things in life than what's happening to me...and that someone else always has it worse. I too, am blessed.

Thank you for this reminder on a day when I'm personally suffering a huge disappointment, but in retrospect, I realize it's really no big deal.

Still loving your report!!
:thumbsup2

HAHA your still cracking me up!

I enjoy your lectures actually--- they always have good morals to them.

im going to be interested to hear how this bathroom with the dress went.. :scared:

I need to some some more photos lady.. and one more thing.. whats this AARP advertisement bull hokey? You arent THAT old... and you look like a million bucks... so dont be saying that anymore (....:rolleyes1 Although it was funny!).

I enjoy your lectures actually--- they always have good morals to them.

You arent THAT old....

Oh, good. I am glad you enjoy the lectures. There are plenty more where that one came from.

I know I am not *THAT* old, Maggs. There is older, old, and THAT old. I am merely...older. And besides, Oil of Olay says that 40 is the new 30, 30 is the new 20, and that makes 20 the new...10. Which is why I lecture ya'll.

You're loving me more and more, aren't you? Uh huh, admit it. :mad:

:eek: Put that gun down!

The powder room thing was fine. I handled it. Wearing the dress wasn't much worse than wearing a Kevlar vest in 110 degree heat. So see? There I was cussing it out, and little did I realize what great training it was going to be! Bridal Survival 101!

Lovestitch: Glad I could help you weather a disappointment. Disappointment stinks, it really does. Hang tough, girl. This too shall pass.

:eek: Put that gun down!

How did you know:stir:

haha.... am I now gonna get a lecture about stirring up trouble?? MOMmmmmm!!

I love love love your writing, Kimnkel! Your personality shines through and clearly it's fabulous!:flower3:

Although, selfishly, I feel panic that we're up to your wedding day already. Whatever will you write about when your TR is complete??:sad:

lindajoan: Thank you! Uhm...I'll probably go back to writing at WORK--which I am paid to do. :guilty:

I have ALOT of stories. People say I should write a book. I don't know. Maybe they mean it the way my brothers used to tell me I should be on TV--"I wish you were on TV, squirt, so I could turn you off." :happytv: But you know, it's weird: Either more stuff happens to me (This is doubtful. That would be an egotistical thing for me to think; after all, why would more stuff happen to me?) or I just notice more stuff, react to stuff more than other people---and maybe I thus become a "stuff magnet". Like the Mad Hatter thing. WTH? All I wanted was some cafe, some java, some cupppa joe... and I end up with the Mad Hatter sitting down with me and having to be rescued by Pooh and Tigger. I mean, really. It's so...pathetic. I can face down Somali war lords but I can't handle The Mad Hatter?

Hey, did ya'll hear about that guy filing a law suit against Tigger? Seriously. This family was down at WDW and asked Tigger to pose for a pic with them, and then, according to Tigger, the teen-aged son starting messing with him, so Tigger gave him a right cross to the face. (Go Tigger! T-I-doublegaa-ER!) BUT OF COURSE, instead of dear old Dad whapping his son and telling him not to screw with the characters because IT'S NOT NICE! Daddy files a sheriff's report :rolleyes: and sues Tigger and WDW. You can see on the videotape of the incident that the teen-ager is clearly doing something to Tigger behind him, and you can also see that Tigger doesn't harm the punk. I mean-- the boy. Tigger didn't harm the dear child. Padded paws. No claws. More's the pity.

Heck, for all I know it was a put up deal to try to get some major Disney $$$.

Okay, so after our 675 dollar repast of hummingbird wings on a melange of Ritz crackers served with a side of tree fungus at Victoria and Albert's, we head back to our room. I should say that V&A's gave us some lovely parting gifts: a loaf of some sort of fruitcake type bread product :eek: a red rose in one of those plastic containers; the kind cheap-o dates pick up at the local supermarket and bring you when they want to impress you--you know what I mean? (Oh, I'm impressed alright. Might not be the kind of impression you were thinking, though, buddy-roe.) Also, they packaged up the rest of our champagne. BTW, dinner took 4 hours. Oh, they did have this really cool coffee maker thing. Looked like a giant bunsen burner. And I wasn't kidding about it being stuffy in there. Stuffy from the other diners, many of whom really had a whole 'tude--like, "here I am at Victoria and Albert's, I'm so awesome, look at my little black dress, look at my Rolex, you may kiss the ring." Oh please, people! Let's turn up the lights a little-- and get over ourselves a lot! :snooty:

Okay, I admit it; I didn't get the appeal of the place. I am not one of those for whom high price is axiomatic to quality. In other words, just because something is expensive it doesn't mean I want it. I have that gene, you know? The gene of hard work and earning my own--and that makes me expect price and quality to be commensurate. Don't BS me with some french accent and then charge me four times what a thing is worth. Bah!

It was raining when we went in and warm--and they had all these candles lit, and a fire. Very romantic, except fire needs oxygen to burn. And I need oxygen to burn. And so, ipso facto, someone needed to turn on the A/C. I figure they can afford it. The coolest thing about the whole deal was that our names were printed on the menus and so I saw my married name in print for the first time. :love:

We head back to our room with our parting gifts and I wonder aloud if the bell desk had delivered my flowers and our cake and topper to the room as we had requested. We left them at the front desk because our room was in one of the annex buildings, and as it was pouring rain when we arrived for our dinner reservation we did not wish to be soaked, and the reason I am wondering is because the GF has shown an unfortunate trend towards having to be asked to do a thing at least twice.

They continued that trend and had not delivered the items.

Kelly calls down and they say they will be right up. In the manwhile Kelly and I are watching the electrical boat parade from our balcony, and it's all very romantic. You get the picture; wedding night, the GF, watching the parade...:teacher:

The bellman arrives and does the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Now, I have to tell you all that I have stayed in some of the world's truly great hotels, including several stays in the Hotel Del Coronado in Coronado Island, CA--the hotel the GF is a replica of, and I have NEVER seen a bellman behave as ours is about to. He knocks on the door, Kelly answers, and standing in the entry way he literally TOSSES Kelly the cake boxes saying, "Oh, this must be yours. Here <toss> and here <toss> and here <toss>" forcing Kelly to juggle these boxes, which I am taking from him as fast as possible. I am aghast. BUT IT IS OUR WEDDING NIGHT and I do not want a confrontation. Kelly and I are so happy, and feeling so :cloud9: who wants to blow it on some stoopid bellman?

For the record, proper bellman behavior would have been: Bellman knocks on door, Kelly answers, belman says, "Good evening. Where may I put these?" Never EVER expecting either of us to lift a finger.

The next morning when we wake up Kelly opens the cake boxes (my health nut husband is going to have cake for breakfast! That's okay; I am going to have cake and wash it down with warm, flat champagne. It's so decadent and depraved--exactly the way a honeymoon should be ;) Hey, I'll be back in the gym when these halycon days are past--today we live!!) and the cake is smashed. Both the left over and our anniversary layer. He opens the white chocolate cake topper (which we were going to bring home for our little home reception) and it is wrecked. okay, now I am officially :mad: I figure the GF has screwed up about 300 bucks worth of cake, including 150 dollar white chcolate topper.

But. Kelly hates to see me upset, and we had such a wonderful day and night and really, V&A's was romantic and all, we enjoyed it; it is not as if we weren't sitting there criticizing stuff, ya know? it was just not worth it, IMO)

It is kinda hard to stay mad under the circumstances (the circumstances being Kelly telling me how pretty he thinks I am, how happy he is, calling me his wife every ten minutes, etc. Who could resist?) and we eat cake and drink champagne for breakfast (which, now that I think about it, makes me kinda feel :sick: ) and then shower and dress for our day at Epcot.

I loved Epcot! Excellent procurement opportunities!

i hate that that happened to you with your cake topper. I would have called the front desk and told them-- atleast had them pay for another one, ya know?? Your right, your right... not worth it!! But crap- this stuff aint cheap!

I agree-- YAY for tigger!!:cool1: Sock him again!!

Wheres your photos missy?

I love your TR you are such a great writer. You have me in stitches laughing one minute and almost in tears the next. Great job!

Oh I'm sure in alot of ways dealing with a Disney wedding is worse than dealing with war lords in Somalia! That's what my Dad said ( he was there too)

first off, belated congrats on your wedding, which sounds like it was all you dreamed of.

you write beautifully and you're so very right : people should not forget what really matters.

what really matters - the people you love - the people who love you.

wishing you a truly wonderful life together. thank you for your wonderful insight and words.

Kim, your writing is magical. I'm sorry your V&A experience was so horid. Also, bummer about your cake. I hope your at home reception is nice. So.....do you get a honeymoon after your at home reception? lol Worth a shot. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter