• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

My Family Trip Report for March 2013

You have friends who are CMs at POR, and no one offered to move you and your ill daughter to a clean room immediately? So much for the connections. I find it very hard to believe Disney would spray the room while you were occupying it.

Surely, with all the photos you took, you took some photos of this roach infestation?

I do have a pic of the one in the tub before I killed it. Just figured no one wanted to see that. And they just said pest services would be by to look over the room and asked us to not be there.

Oh and just posted this in POR to hush ya up here ya go here also.

Just so we can settle this other issue with the attention getters with no life but to stay up all night and stir issues.

This is the cockroach in the tub we found and I killed. Anybody who has been in a royal room knows that is the wallpaper used in the royal room bath areas.

DF962062-D2F3-4995-B9B6-368B13A24427-3492-0000026076485B3E_zps356db970.jpg

Here is another photo I found online showing better detail and the smaller one is the ones we found in the drawers.

3A28DBC2-CDC7-4AE6-A0DA-AFD6D7233DAB-3492-00000262C5E8B7C6_zps376f5d66.jpg

My concern is this: Are you turned off from POR because of the way they handled it? (It does seem like they didn't show nearly enough concern over getting you moved quickly enough. Telling me they'd send someone down while we were out would not be a great response to me. And not offering to move me right away... Because those things get in your luggage and you have them all over your dang house.). Or turned off because of the bugs themselves? I realize that they may have initially thought you were mistaken about the bugs identity due to some palmetto (?) bug that is also common down there. (Don't care what you guys say it looks like a flying one to me.). I ask because I've had a similar experience on a vacation in a different state and don't want to be disappointed at Disney. Cause everyone knows spraying them just irritates them. Also, was the hotel crowded or not at the time? We are booked at POR in about 67 days.

By the way, I never doubted. I follow along on the POR thread and you've always been very helpful. Sorry this trip was so terrible. I would be so disappointed afterwards. Especially starting with the BOG experience.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

My concern is this: Are you turned off from POR because of the way they handled it? (It does seem like they didn't show nearly enough concern over getting you moved quickly enough. Telling me they'd send someone down while we were out would not be a great response to me. And not offering to move me right away... Because those things get in your luggage and you have them all over your dang house.). Or turned off because of the bugs themselves? I realize that they may have initially thought you were mistaken about the bugs identity due to some palmetto (?) bug that is also common down there. (Don't care what you guys say it looks like a flying one to me.). I ask because I've had a similar experience on a vacation in a different state and don't want to be disappointed at Disney. Cause everyone knows spraying them just irritates them. Also, was the hotel crowded or not at the time? We are booked at POR in about 67 days.

By the way, I never doubted. I follow along on the POR thread and you've always been very helpful. Sorry this trip was so terrible. I would be so disappointed afterwards. Especially starting with the BOG experience.

Thanks in advance,
Amy

The move not happening quick enough I blame to one person not doing their job and probably thought I was just seeing. Water bug or something and blew it off.

Seemed to be to me it was a combination of how it was handled to the fact that anything brought up to you in the words by your love in the words they probably crawling over us while we're sleeping. Kinda creeps you out of wanting to be there.

That makes sense. Thanks for the response! It does seem like it wasn't handled very well initially.

Amy

amybaud said:
That makes sense. Thanks for the response! It does seem like it wasn't handled very well initially.

Amy

Agreed! I don't think the complaint was handled well at all by the resort in the beginning. I will admit to being worried about our future reservation or POR. We will be in the Bayou section in a preferred room but regardless we will be thoroughly checking the room for critters before we settle in. Venom, I am so sorry about your trip.

Agreed! I don't think the complaint was handled well at all by the resort in the beginning. I will admit to being worried about our future reservation or POR. We will be in the Bayou section in a preferred room but regardless we will be thoroughly checking the room for critters before we settle in. Venom, I am so sorry about your trip.

I usually did checks just before bringing things out for bed bug and such, and thought if I ever saw anything else, I would just kill it and call it a day. But never thought I'd see actual roaches. In some fairness to the resort they probably get calls, lots even of people who claim they have roaches when it is just a water bug. So they probably assumed that at first. Which we no what assumptions get.

[

Sorry to hear about your trip:(

I was wondering, you said you used the services disney provided as far as determining the food poisoning. What services specifically? Did they send a doctor to your room, In the parks? To a lab to have her vomit tested? I'm new to Disney and I would like to be aware of these services since I have two children.

Thanks

[

Sorry to hear about your trip:(

I was wondering, you said you used the services disney provided as far as determining the food poisoning. What services specifically? Did they send a doctor to your room, In the parks? To a lab to have her vomit tested? I'm new to Disney and I would like to be aware of these services since I have two children.

Thanks

I have the medical pamphlet here somewhere still, but the clinic they provide picks you up, takes you to get everything checked out. They can have samples tested like blood, bile, etc. Get you hydrated and even work with your insurance carriers. Then when your done there and your on the road to recovery. They provide you with a claims number so if it is food prosioning or their fault at all Disney will reimburse you for your expenses getting treatment.

You are livid with Disney because your family caught a bug? I am sorry that your trip was ruined, but you cannot possibly expect that Disney is able to prevent the spread of germs. As far as I know, spraying down surfaces with Lysol is NOT the standard for cleaning hotel rooms. In fact, a lot of people that I know bring their own Lysol along to spray down their rooms because this is common knowledge.

They literally caught bugs, roaches to be exact. So yeah, that's preventable and totally on Disney. As for the stomach bug? I'm a chef instructor and worked in the industry for years. I teach the food safety course that prepares students for both the NYC and ServSafe exams. Food poisoning is almost ALWAYS on the kitchen and it's almost always because of poor training and managerial controls. Someone didn't clean their board, wash their hands, temp their chicken, whatever.

I remember ordering a burger at POFQ on my first trip and the grill cook was actually temping the burger on the grill to make sure it was at a proper temp and I was really impressed by that level of managerial control there. BOG is new, probably has a lot of new cooks and the back of the house is probably hectic as anything as a result. While this may explain why something might have gotten through, it's certainly not an excuse for it.

Venom, I am so sorry that all of these things happened on your trip. I will be saying a prayer that you and your family get & stay healthy and that your next vacation is beyond magical! I do want to thank you for for being so diligent following up with the resort. Hopefully they are now taking this very seriously and doing everything they can to rectify the situation. Preventative measures are also being taken, I hope, to keep this from happening again! We are not changing our reservation. We will be at POR in June, but I certainly understand why your family won't be going back. I'm sure that I would react the same why in your situation. I just wouldn't be able to sleep comfortably after that experience.

On aother note: I always bring clorox or lysol wipes with me to any hotel. It just makes me feel better. Obviously this would not prevent any virus or food poisn. from a meal, but again, it just makes me feel better to be able to wipe the bathroom and tables down.

Venom, I am so sorry that all of these things happened on your trip. I will be saying a prayer that you and your family get & stay healthy and that your next vacation is beyond magical! I do want to thank you for for being so diligent following up with the resort. Hopefully they are now taking this very seriously and doing everything they can to rectify the situation. Preventative measures are also being taken, I hope, to keep this from happening again! We are not changing our reservation. We will be at POR in June, but I certainly understand why your family won't be going back. I'm sure that I would react the same why in your situation. I just wouldn't be able to sleep comfortably after that experience.

On aother note: I always bring clorox or lysol wipes with me to any hotel. It just makes me feel better. Obviously this would not prevent any virus or food poisn. from a meal, but again, it just makes me feel better to be able to wipe the bathroom and tables down.

Thank you so much. We bring Lysol Wipes also, which I used on the dust layered around the coffee tray and wiped the whole tv top surface down, as well as the phone, tv remote, bath fixtures, ac panel, etc.

That is weird they offered to spray but said we just could not be there when they went in. But no offer to move us to another room before spraying. Just what were they going to spray in there after all. Hmmmmmmmmm......

Years ago when our room had a housekeeping issue, we were asked to leave the room for 3 to 4 hours so they could take care of it. So I guess it's not uncommon to ask the guest to leave the room.

Ours was an issue of cleanliness not bugs. There was thick mold on the shower curtain and shower, food under the beds (back in the days they didn't have "boxed" bottoms), corners of the carpet were digusting, the bedspreads were dirty, and the pillows and sheets had stuff on it, and I got my hand in some sticky green goo on the blanket. As though the room was vacant and not cleaned for a long time. I took all kinds of pictures and was ready to report it, but my dh didn't want me to cause a stir. By 6am the next morning I couldn't take it anymore and went to report it.

I didn't go to the front desk. I spotted a manager on the floor and went straight to him and showed the pictures. We were asked to leave the room for 3 to 4 hours. When we got back, we had a brand new shower curtain and liner, new sheets, blankets and comforters. In fact, they put the mansion spreads on and we were in the alligator buyou so it was very obvious. We weren't comped. Rather it was taken care of promptly and with follow up. They handled our situation very well. The manager said he wished I had reported it immediately as they can't fix a problem until they are aware of it. So my advice to people is to check the room thoroughly and if there is an issue or one arises, address it right away.

It's gross to ask this, but in the pm you explained about roaches everywhere. Did you take pictures of the nasty critters everywhere?

When will you get the results back from the food poisoning test? Will they also check for norovirus? I live in central Florida and stomach bug and norovirus seem to be a problem now. Hand santizers won't work on norovirus, only proper and frequent hand washing will.

From your pictures, it does look like you were able to get to see and do several things despite feeling crummy. I'm glad the vacation wasn't a total bust. I hope your daughter is feeling better, and you and your fiance as well.

It's gross to ask this, but in the pm you explained about roaches everywhere. Did you take pictures of the nasty critters everywhere?

When will you get the results back from the food poisoning test? Will they also check for norovirus? I live in central Florida and stomach bug and norovirus seem to be a problem now. Hand santizers won't work on norovirus, only proper and frequent hand washing will.

From your pictures, it does look like you were able to get to see and do several things despite feeling crummy. I'm glad the vacation wasn't a total bust. I hope your daughter is feeling better, and you and your fiance as well.

We only got the one photo at 3am because we thought we needed that to show them it wasn't waterbugs. We were too busy when the fiance discovered the other ones she wasn't going to go near them I had to grab the item that was in the drawer and grab the phone because she wanted out of the room then. I was on the phone for most of the time when we were scrambling, and when I got off I was grabbing suit cases and rushing them out the door to set on the walkway. They said they would test and get back to us which I have to call POR anyways I will call them also today. Also check my address in the column to the left, yeah we have been hearing about the Norovirus also, but the doc said right off that it would be her constantly feeling horrible where she would only feel it in waves and then right after eating. So I took his word. The little one made a recovery somewhat around the 5th give or take. She still milked the wheel chair requests, I think. ;)

So I was in a POR Royal room just a few doors down from Venom for the same dates (except he was moved.) I didn't see any roaches while I was there but we went to sleep pretty early and weren't up in the middle of the night so that's probably why. I have also heard that there were confirmed roaches in a room past my room - so I was in the middle of two confirmed rooms with roaches. I am absolutely disgusted that there were roaches confirmed in my building and the resort did not notify me or offer to spray or move me or anything. I found out about this two days after I came home so for all I know I have now brought roaches into my home. I completely understand that these things happen and don't expect that Disney is 100% insect free 100% of the time, but how they handled it is what is so upsetting. To think that we had roaches around us while we were sleeping (DS1 in a pack and play just a few inches off the floor!) is SO gross!!!!!

Venom - I hope you are all feeling better!

To think that we had roaches around us while we were sleeping (DS1 in a pack and play just a few inches off the floor!) is SO gross!!!!!

My Fiance immediately turned to me upon finding them in the drawers and said the same thing.

Thank you...

So I was in a POR Royal room just a few doors down from Venom for the same dates (except he was moved.) I didn't see any roaches while I was there but we went to sleep pretty early and weren't up in the middle of the night so that's probably why. I have also heard that there were confirmed roaches in a room past my room - so I was in the middle of two confirmed rooms with roaches. I am absolutely disgusted that there were roaches confirmed in my building and the resort did not notify me or offer to spray or move me or anything. I found out about this two days after I came home so for all I know I have now brought roaches into my home. I completely understand that these things happen and don't expect that Disney is 100% insect free 100% of the time, but how they handled it is what is so upsetting. To think that we had roaches around us while we were sleeping (DS1 in a pack and play just a few inches off the floor!) is SO gross!!!!!

Are you sure the confirmed other room wasn't Venom's room?

Venom, if they will release the info to you, could you find out just how many rooms in the area were sprayed (even if pre-cautionary)?

We only got the one photo at 3am because we thought we needed that to show them it wasn't waterbugs. We were too busy when the fiance discovered the other ones she wasn't going to go near them I had to grab the item that was in the drawer and grab the phone because she wanted out of the room then. I was on the phone for most of the time when we were scrambling, and when I got off I was grabbing suit cases and rushing them out the door to set on the walkway. They said they would test and get back to us which I have to call POR anyways I will call them also today. Also check my address in the column to the left, yeah we have been hearing about the Norovirus also, but the doc said right off that it would be her constantly feeling horrible where she would only feel it in waves and then right after eating. So I took his word. The little one made a recovery somewhat around the 5th give or take. She still milked the wheel chair requests, I think. ;)

Glad she is feeling better.

Did you give your suitcases a good check? Hate to bring them home.

Interesting that you mention it was intermittant. My husband and son had some type of bug last week where they said they had the worse stomach pain they ever had in their life. My son said it was worse than when he had appendicitis. Lasted about 2 days each where they were so sick in their stomach. It was intermittant too. I didn't catch it, neither did our youngest.

Venom, if they will release the info to you, could you find out just how many rooms in the area were sprayed (even if pre-cautionary)?

Yeah Ill see what they tell me.

Glad she is feeling better.

Did you give your suitcases a good check? Hate to bring them home.

Interesting that you mention it was intermittent. My husband and son had some type of bug last week where they said they had the worse stomach pain they ever had in their life. My son said it was worse than when he had appendicitis. Lasted about 2 days each where they were so sick in their stomach. It was intermittent too. I didn't catch it, neither did our youngest.

Yeah we definitely checked them good at SSR as we were unpacking each item after moving. She was sick for more than two days. She definitely didn't have that. We even had her go through the routine once we got back with our usual doctor.

Yes, I'm sure it wasn't his room. From what I understand, roaches don't stick to just one room or skip rooms. They are everywhere in between. I would think an exterminator would spray the entire area and if so they either didn't do it or they didn't tell me about it. I am really mad about this because had I known about it I would have done a thorough search of my stuff before I left and when I came home. I came home and semi-unpacked and left some suitcases in my room and some in the den. I could have roaches in my house now. I hope I don't but they fact that Disney let me leave without warning is outrageous. Actually, the more I think about it the angrier I get!

Yes, I'm sure it wasn't his room. From what I understand, roaches don't stick to just one room or skip rooms. They are everywhere in between. I would think an exterminator would spray the entire area and if so they either didn't do it or they didn't tell me about it. I am really mad about this because had I known about it I would have done a thorough search of my stuff before I left and when I came home. I came home and semi-unpacked and left some suitcases in my room and some in the den. I could have roaches in my house now. I hope I don't but they fact that Disney let me leave without warning is outrageous. Actually, the more I think about it the angrier I get!

Ugh. I sincerely hope you didn't take anything home with you. Its funny, when we travel im paranoid about bringing bed bugs home. Never even thought about roaches. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter