Must do Excursions

rere101399

DISmom
We’re looking at a May trip, first time family of 4 with a 9 and 10.5 year old. Probably only HI trip for at least 5 years. We’re looking at staying at Aulani for 7ish nights. I’d like to plan 2-3 must-do sightseeing events and plan to spend the rest of the time at/near the resort. I was thinking Pearl Harbor, Diamondhead (my kids would totally love to see a volcano but I’m not leaving Oahu so I figure that’s as close as we’ll get?) and am I missing something else that would be a major must-do? We’re planning to rent a car. We’re frequent cruisers and tend to like a mix of ship days and port days so I’m thinking this will be a little similar. I don’t want to miss too much resort time but want to be sure to hit some major highlights on Oahu too.

+1 for a trip to the North Shore. Stop at the Dole plantation for a Dole Whip, and run around in the maze. Then head up to Haleiwa - stopping for a plate lunch at a shrimp truck (Big Wave), before heading up to see the big waves (if surf’s up), or on to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Do NOT stop at Matsumoto’s for shave ice - worst tourist trap on the island.

Alternately, Kualoa Ranch has some great activities - and being in the valley where tons of famous movies and tv shows have been filmed will definitely give everyone a different viewwhen your watching a favorite show. Drive Over the Pali Highway, stop at the Pali lookout for amazing views (bring warm jackets), then head to the Byodo-In Temple for a visit (bring bug spray), before going to the Ranch for an ATV adventure, or the movie tour.

+1 for Kualo Ranch - especially with your kids' ages. Do the ATV tour (they are multi-passenger ATV's so you can all fit in the same one - or do 2 if you want to splurge). Beside being breathtakingly beautiful, you'll all get a kick out of driving through the valley where so many of the movies you've ever seen set in a jungle were filmed. You don't even need the "Jurassic Movie Site" signs... you'll just keep thinking, "oh my God, I've seen this!" (without the dinosaurs, giant gorillas or The Rock, of course). Side note - it's a working cattle ranch. The food at Aunty Pat's Cafe is good and VERY local. You can even bring some steaks or burgers home if you want to cook at Aulani.

Our family (5 of us) also LOVE doing the sunset snorkel catamaran cruise on the Kai'Oli'Oli out of Ko Olina Marina. Family friendly and right near Aulani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter