Murphy Beds to Replace Sofa Beds at DVC Resorts

We are staying at the Riviera now, and this is our first experience with the new Murphy sofa beds. This sofa is the most uncomfortable thing my wife and I have ever set on. I hope it’s just due to the “European style” of this sofa and isn’t indicative of what they all will be like. You might as well be sitting on a box in a freight warehouse. I realize that it’s great for large families who want to cram 5 people in a 1 bedroom villa and use that sofa bed, but very disappointing for my wife and I who stay here alone and actually use the sofa to be a sofa!
Yet we were thrilled with the comfort of the Murphy bed sofa. On the old sofabeds, we sink down when sitting, then wind up sliding off the couch within an hour. We usually give up & sit on kitchen chairs instead.

Yet we were thrilled with the comfort of the Murphy bed sofa. On the old sofabeds, we sink down when sitting, then wind up sliding off the couch within an hour. We usually give up & sit on kitchen chairs instead.
I'm so glad that the Murphy bed sofa works better as a sofa. We too hated the sofa beds to sit on. They usually ended up as a dumping ground for bags

We stayed at RIV and SSR in July and found the new Murphy beds to be perfectly fine if not fantastic as both couches and beds. With two teenage boys, we now will only book rooms that have Murphy bed option for their bed. The sofa beds were never great, especially once they started to grow.

We are staying at the Riviera now, and this is our first experience with the new Murphy sofa beds. This sofa is the most uncomfortable thing my wife and I have ever set on. I hope it’s just due to the “European style” of this sofa and isn’t indicative of what they all will be like. You might as well be sitting on a box in a freight warehouse. I realize that it’s great for large families who want to cram 5 people in a 1 bedroom villa and use that sofa bed, but very disappointing for my wife and I who stay here alone and actually use the sofa to be a sofa!

While not as comfortable as a regular sofa, I found the Riviera Murphy sofas massively more comfortable than sofa beds. Actually had decent firmness as a sofa, didn’t sink and creak when sitting down.

Is the refurb at the Poly making the change to the pull-down beds rather than the old sofa beds? I thought I read that a while back, but I haven't seen anything recently, and is the refurb happening now at Poly?

Is the refurb at the Poly making the change to the pull-down beds rather than the old sofa beds? I thought I read that a while back, but I haven't seen anything recently, and is the refurb happening now at Poly?
Yes, they have switched.

I agree with the general comment that the sofa isn't immensely comfortable - but also agree that no past DVC sofa with a convertible bed inside has ever been comfortable. Comparing the old to the new Murphy sofas, I actually prefer the new Murphys. As a sofa, they're a bit hard...fine for when I'm sitting upright, wanting to chat or eating or on my computer - when trying to lean or lay a bit more casual for watching TV or a movie, they're a bit too hard - but I just grab some of the extra pillows from the bedroom and use those to soften where I want.
With the old pull out sofa bed couches, I hated how much I sunk down into them, to the point where the hard outer edge dug into the back of my knees - I had to stick the throw pillows under the couch cushions so I didn't sink down so far.
And as a bed, of course, the new Murphys are a significant advantage over any previous fold-out designs. Even the best, most recent pullouts, which were relatively flat platforms once extended, still squeaked and groaned getting out, and had super-thin mattresses that always required egg-crate cushions to make them tolerable, then they were difficult to fold back up with the egg-crates in place...and storing cushions all around the room when the bed was out made the entire living room basically unusable when the bed was out. With the murphy down, you can still move around the room, use the chairs, use the balcony, etc very easily.

I have long legs. When I sit on the sofa, my butt is usually lower than my knees and I find it hard to get up. Plus they usually use that industrial fabric that is scratchy as heck and you get burns just from sitting on the sofa. I'd love to see a comfortable sofa, with nicer fabric. I usually find myself sitting on the wood chairs for the kitchen table. It's hard to remember the last time DVC had a comfortable sofa for sitting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter