Movies surprisingly based on true event

luvmy3 said:
No, the name is The Mothman Prophecies and stars Richard Gere and Laura Linney (sp?). If you like psychological thriller movies, its a really good one, I definitely recommend it.

Thanks, looks like the other is actually a documentary about the origional events, I think I'll watch both :)

The thing I hate about "Based on a true story" movies is the underlying thought that "this happened" when often the movies may have little or nothing to do with the truth.

In my book, the worst example of that was The Perfect Storm. I watched that movie and couldn't believe everything that happened to the boat's crew... only to find out later on that it was all made up. Ticked me off. Just say at the beginning, "We heard about this event and we're going to make up a completely fictional story that never happened but using that event as a jumping off point, okay?"

At the beginning of Fargo it says based on true events. Within the first 3 minutes of the commentary, one of the director fesses up and says they just put that in for **** and giggles.

Not sure why they would do that.

The thing I hate about "Based on a true story" movies is the underlying thought that "this happened" when often the movies may have little or nothing to do with the truth.

In my book, the worst example of that was The Perfect Storm. I watched that movie and couldn't believe everything that happened to the boat's crew... only to find out later on that it was all made up. Ticked me off. Just say at the beginning, "We heard about this event and we're going to make up a completely fictional story that never happened but using that event as a jumping off point, okay?"

That one you kind of had to expect a lot of it to be made up. None of them survived so there's nobody to tell what happened.

Oh, the woman boat captain is/was (not sure if the show is still on) is on one of those Discovery Channel shows. Its like Deadliest Catch but with Sword fishermen.

We were actually vacationing in Gloucester when the movie came out, so of course we had to go see it! The next day we went to the bar from the movie....nothing like it. There was a older woman at the bar who was cashing in on her 15 minutes of fame! She was very entertaining (and a little drunk!)....telling everyone stories and talking about the differences in the movie.

There's a movie called Bully, not the recent documentary, but an indie movie from 2001. It's a pretty brutal story, and not for the faint of heart. When you're watching it you can't get over that it really happened.

I remember seeing that story covered on an episode of American Justice years ago, I didn't realize it had been made into a movie. Yes, VERY brutal story.

I never expect them to be totally factual. It is a movie, not a documentary (though one could argue many of those are also quite fictional based off of who is doing the doc).

I just watched this one a couple of weeks ago on PPV. I love historical movies, and I thought it was good.

While the relatives say great liberties were taken with the story, Lawless is/was based on real moonshiners.

I just read somewhere that the Rocks new movie, Snitch is based on true events. It also was a very good review. IIRC it was on the USA Today website.

Boys Don't Cry was pretty factual, unfortunately.

The movies "Psycho" , "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and "Silence of the Lambs" were all very loosely based on the same true story of a serial killer

Catch me if you can with Leo DeCaprio. The man this was based on still lives in Tulsa, OK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter