• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MoviePass? $9.99/month 1 theater movie a day

I dropped movie pass this past weekend. My renew date was 07-31-18 and I didn't trust it to be worth the cost in August. We usually don't go to the movies more than 1-2 times a month (we don't go at all lots of months). But with movie pass we started going at least once a month so we would break even.
Between them running out of money so they are somewhat unreliable, peak pricing raising my cost substantially since we usually only go on friday or saturday nights, and now we won't necessarily be able to see the new releases right away, well it was all just too much for me. I don't have an AMC near me so that subscription is out. Might try the other one I've read about but I'm in no hurry at this point.

Mother n law came over this morning to spend the day with my kids. She just texted me at
work she got 3 tickets to Christopher Robin tonight. WTH? She checked in on her phone and my
kids and no surge pricing no greyed out nothing. I just looked at my phone and its not even
listed!

Have no idea what they are doing. Seems to be the luck of the draw. What a poorly run
business.
We are seeing that tonight, and it's greyed out in my dd's app, so no go for us on that one.

I haven't used the service but since I kinda put it out here so I wanted to pass along this update from the website where I first heard about it.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/moviepass-there-are-no-more-screenings-message/
Basically it says "etickets" might be a work-around to availability issues and someone in the comments section mentions they got a refund from Costco (obviously you only have a shot at that if you purchased this from Costco).

I wasn’t going tonight but checked movie pass and no movies are available. It saids there are no more screenings at this theatre. I checked five theatres all say the same thing. I’m sure it’s like that all over. They must be out of money again.

We canceled, but we probably got our money's worth. Just glad we didn't do an annual membership. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

I will say though, it probably didn't help that people were gaming the system. First time we tried to use it at a local theater, there was a guy there "buying" his daily ticket. He wasn't going to see the movie, just getting Regal points!

Been watching the app yesterday & today. Early in the day, all times are avaviable. By 5 :30 or so, every theater has no shows available. We will definitely be cancelling. We can’t get to the theater early in the day to buy tickets for later. And we often go to the drive in which just joined Movie Pass this year. Their box office doesn’t even open til 7 or 8. Not gonna pay for something I can never use.

Seriously, maybe it’s time for them to just fold. I’m actually waiting to read that the NY state attorney general is investigating them. NY is big in stuff like that. If you sell me a service, you better provide the service.

The last three days I have checked movie pass. No movies available in the late afternoon. Check it early morning/ afternoon movies are available but later no movies are available.i have movie pass since end of August last year. During that time I have watched 57 movies. In November I got the yearly pass. So movie pass has been great for me so far. But going forward looks like it’s going to be bad. I can live with the higher amount and not seeing a movie in the first two weeks of opening. But not knowing if any movies are going to be available is unacceptable.

Now movie pass has only made available a movie two times a day even thou it’s playing 4-5 times a day. The movie I want to see is showing but probably won’t be available later.

Last edited:
We were going today at noon. I got ready and double checked and nothing is available until 4:00 or later! I agree that I can live with the higher amount and not seeing movies when they first open. What is going on now is unacceptable.

I had bought 5 of these Yearly Memberships from Costco. Went online the other day and could get nothing. I contacted Costco and they refunded the $ for all 5 of them. Very good customer service. Went to check again yesterday just to see if anything had changed and many movies blacked out and only a few times late in the evening available for the showings they had available. Certainly not what we signed up for. Glad I went through Costco.

More changes coming.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/moviepass-slashes-offering-to-three-films-a-month-1533560401

Sounds like they have decided to cap it at 3 movies a month for the $9.99 fee. No more surcharges, no more blocking of new releases, and no more having to upload photos. Movies past the allowed 3 might have a $2-5 discount if bought through the app.

This sounds much more sustainable.

aww man, I would have kept the kids memberships if I'd known they were going to do that. DH and I switched to AMC but they don't offer any options for the under 18 crowd.

Has anyone tried Sinemia?

I had bought 5 of these Yearly Memberships from Costco. Went online the other day and could get nothing. I contacted Costco and they refunded the $ for all 5 of them. Very good customer service. Went to check again yesterday just to see if anything had changed and many movies blacked out and only a few times late in the evening available for the showings they had available. Certainly not what we signed up for. Glad I went through Costco.

The last five days I have been checking what movies are available. Once a movie gets within a few hours of it showing it disappears. Around 5 o’clock all movies disappear. This probably has been going on for a week and a half. Great move cancelling and getting a refund. So what I have seen there is no way too watch a movie now with movie pass. With the email I got today I thought this will change. Should of known better.

THERE IS NO MORE SCREENINGS AT THIS THEATRE.

The last five days I have been checking what movies are available. Once a movie gets within a few hours of it showing it disappears. Around 5 o’clock all movies disappear. This probably has been going on for a week and a half. Great move cancelling and getting a refund. So what I have seen there is no way too watch a movie now with movie pass. With the email I got today I thought this will change. Should of known better.

THERE IS NO MORE SCREENINGS AT THIS THEATRE.

Today's plans go into effect Aug 15...so you'll probably continue to struggle til then...

The new plan is a drastic change from the old one. However if our family just sees one evening movie
a month we are ahead because of high ticket prices around here.

I'm fine with the new plan IF there are no blackouts or restrictions. I see they are removing ticket verification
which was annoying to do but they should do more than that. Also talking to cust service today the change
will take place depending on your billing cycle date.

aww man, I would have kept the kids memberships if I'd known they were going to do that. DH and I switched to AMC but they don't offer any options for the under 18 crowd.

Has anyone tried Sinemia?

How long ago did you cancel their accounts?
If it wasn't that long ago try logging back in and seeing if it gives you an option to accept the new terms.

How long ago did you cancel their accounts?
If it wasn't that long ago try logging back in and seeing if it gives you an option to accept the new terms.

Thanks, there is something on mine but I don't want to try it as I like the AMC account better. I'll check the kids when I get home tonight. I'm fine with only 3 movies a month. We are ahead price wise at 1 a month. Crossing my fingers that it will work.

Thanks, there is something on mine but I don't want to try it as I like the AMC account better. I'll check the kids when I get home tonight. I'm fine with only 3 movies a month. We are ahead price wise at 1 a month. Crossing my fingers that it will work.

Heck, I just got an IMAX ticket for The Meg tomorrow night...that just about put me at break even for the month. And I'm still going to the theater.

IMAX isn't allowable, even if you pay an up charge. You got it for tomorrow. Sound like you're on of the lucky MP customers with a participating E-Ticket theater. That's one of the reasons for ticket verification.
Christopher Robin is now available in most theaters near me. Mission Impossible is greyed out at one theater but not another (neither is an E-Ticket partner). I bought an annual MP through COSTCO. I may join those who cancel. Too many games. If I don't go to the theater and buy tickets by lunchtime I'm out of luck. Shows get greyed out closer to show time.

I read the real problem with MP. Their statistics show the average movie goer sees about 10 movies a year with an average ticket price just under $8. The math just works. Real profit would be if MP got discounted tickets, % of popcorn sales and money from data mining.

Reality--People who sign up for MP are more likely to be in areas of the country where ticket prices are $10-$14. A person who pays for MP is likely to go to more then 10 movies a year. Even with the changes....A business which gives you a ten dollar bill in exchange for a dollar or two is doomed. Same business changes the deal to a ten dollar bill in exchange for a five isn't going to last that much longer. Average ticket price of $10 (or more). Monthly fee of $10. Forget 3 movies a week, 2 movies a month and MP is sunk.

AMC took the lead. Theaters don't need MP if they want to experiment with different plans.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter