• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mousekeeping ~ suggested tip amount?

Tipping is getting out of hand. Companies would love to have more and more of thier employee's wages tip based. When will Walmart want you to tip if you actually use a real cashier for check out?
Exactly!!!!!!!!

I think we are learning a company will try to get away with many things .
Nothing would surprise me any more .
It seems we are being pushed towards ordering online and delivery service. Which is a bonus cost factor for the industry. And easy way to push costs off in hidden ways.
Disney loves use any sub contractor because they can charge them a fee for the “Disney” connection with the name Disney/ trust factor that we believe in. And sell all our tracking information that they collect.
Get ready for the fine print for the exciting new feature for the Polynesian Resorts with the Hello Disney App positioned inside the guest rooms . Just announced . No thank you from me.
Hope we actually have the option to decline this.

Last edited:
Generous. I tend to always tip, but IDK if I would tip in this situation. It just starts to feel like enabling.

But that being said I might also talk myself into how bad they must have it that they couldn't even clean the room once (i.e. severely understaffed) and then maybe tip for that not being their fault
I mainly gave the $20 because after 5 days it needed cleaning. I figured I should thank them for their work. I was using DVC points so the lack of house keeping is normal.

I don't know how it ever became "customary" that you tip the person that spends five minutes taking your bags from the lobby to your room, but not the person that vacuums your floors, changes your sheets, makes your bed, gives you fresh glasses, refills/cleans your coffee station, scrubs your bathtub, scrubs your toilets, restocks your towels, restocks your soap, restocks your toilet paper, and takes out your trash......... but this is completely bass ackwards.

If a housekeeper isn't worthy of a tip I really don't know who is.

At a deluxe we leave $15/day and $5 for turndown service if it is available. Make sure if you are tipping you do it EVERY DAY because your housekeeper may change so if you leave a tip the last day it might go to someone who only cleaned your room once and all the other days.

Caveat for me is I have not been there since the pandemic so my tipping is/was based on full service on a daily basis.
Housekeeping agreed in their last contract to be classified as non-tipped in exchange for a higher hourly rate, more than park workers. Bell Services has a lower hourly rate classified as tipped.

It hasn't returned to most of the resorts. Deluxe resorts are the only ones that have daily housekeeping at the moment and from the reports I've heard it still isn't full service housekeeping
I didn't say it has returned to all or even "most" of the resorts. I said it had returned to "many" of the resorts, and I was responding to a conspiracy theory that it wouldn't be returning at all, which is obviously false.

And Disney has 11 Deluxe resorts, 5 Moderate resorts, and 5 Value resorts. So even if it was just the Deluxes, that's still "most," if I had claimed "most," which I didn't.

Disney may return housekeeping (as it used to be) as a paid service to the value and moderate resorts if they could ever get enough staffing to do so.

Daily housekeeping has not returned to Deluxe resorts. Club Level yes (has been offered since CLs were reopened late last year/early this year) but not all Deluxe resort rooms.

Reports of daily housekeeping are generally anomaly situations (rogue housekeeper, Disney screws up the schedule, etc), official policy is every other day light service across property. There are more reports from the deluxes of getting more full service - beds made, etc.

ETA, I think GF is one exception, they have been quietly offering daily normal service even for non-CL rooms.

Last edited:
Reports of daily housekeeping are generally anomaly situations (rouge housekeeper, Disney screws up the schedule, etc), official policy is every other day light service across property.
I could have sworn it was reported somewhere official that it was returning from the "top down" depending on staffing levels. It's vivid in my mind because it started with the Grand Floridian and then next in line was Yacht Club.

I don't tip. We stayed deluxe in January and had zero housekeeping. We had to ask for trash to be taken out often b/c the room trash cans are so small and constantly ask about towels.
I had better service in Sept at a Universal hotel.

I tip according to what I would tip my mother if she was cleaning strangers' toilets for low wages.

I could have sworn it was reported somewhere official that it was returning from the "top down" depending on staffing levels. It's vivid in my mind because it started with the Grand Floridian and then next in line was Yacht Club.

There were some blog posts from the spring that were (IMHO) misleading as the headline was about how Deluxe housekeeping was returning to normal, but in the various writeups you see unsourced info stating things like “Deluxes are returning to the original pre-pandemic every other day schedule” ….which never made any sense as every other day was never the case pre-Covid. For the life of me I never understood why that was not questioned/discussed?

You are right on GF, I edited my post above to note that is one that has been quietly doing daily service even on non-CL rooms.

So yes, deluxe guests have generally been reporting more “return to normal” services like beds being made, etc, but the “every other day” thing (anomaly reports aside) is still widespread.

There were some blog posts from the spring that were (IMHO) misleading as the headline was about how Deluxe housekeeping was returning to normal, but in the various writeups you see unsourced info stating things like “Deluxes are returning to the original pre-pandemic every other day schedule” ….which never made any sense as every other day was never the case pre-Covid. For the life of me I never understood why that was not questioned/discussed?

You are right on GF, I edited my post above to note that is one that has been quietly doing daily service even on non-CL rooms.

So yes, deluxe guests have generally been reporting more “return to normal” services like beds being made, etc, but the “every other day” thing (anomaly reports aside) is still widespread.
Regardless, it still pushes back on the narrative that "Disney is never bringing this back and the staffing issues are just a made-up excuse." If they were never bringing it back, then even the Grand wouldn't bet getting daily service right now.

Regardless, it still pushes back on the narrative that "Disney is never bringing this back and the staffing issues are just a made-up excuse." If they were never bringing it back, then even the Grand wouldn't bet getting daily service right now.

Well I agree with you there. I am personally in the camp that increased services will eventually return across the resorts.

At a non-Disney hotel that has great housekeeping- real turndown etc - I will opt for daily housekeeping ($10-20 a day depending on different factors).

Disney is pretty meh on this (even in the before times) so I usually just leave $20 (more if it’s like a 2 bedroom 7 people have been staying in) the day we check out and opt out of daily housekeeping.

I don’t tip the people who take out the trash daily. I really wish you could opt out of this - b/c it’s more annoying than helpful (for us).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter