• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Most accurate crowd calendars?

friedela

DIS Veteran
I know Disney is always busy, but I like to get a general idea on how the parks are going to be before we go and of course plan for crazy anyway, lol. Which are the best free crowd calendars?

There are none that are useful.

Seriously.

Because DL crowds are largely made up of locals, the year-to-year data is pretty useless. Things like weather or limited-time events affect DL crowds tremendously. DL itself has a notoriously difficult time predicting its own crowd levels.

Just say no to DL crowd calendars!

I know Disney is always busy, but I like to get a general idea on how the parks are going to be before we go and of course plan for crazy anyway, lol. Which are the best free crowd calendars?
I second the tip to avoid relying on crowd calendars. They just can't predict crowds at DL. Also, I think the perception of crowds is more based on what time of day you are there, what you are trying to do, and your expectations -- and not so much on how many people are actually in the park. For example, I'd bet that the first 2-3 hours of a "very crowded" day will feel less crowded than the early afternoon of an "average" day.

Having said that, Spring is crowded because of Spring Break, summer is crowded because of Summer Vacation, fall is crowded because it's Halloweentime, end of year is crowded because it's Holiday time, and winter can feel crowded because - even though there might be less people in the park - there are shorter hours, less staffing, and refurbishments that reduce capacity!

If you have a couple specific dates in mind, you might be able to get a few tips about those times of year, but don't rely on crowd calendars for DL.

I find isitpacked.com to be a decent indicator, but I wouldn’t count on it as others say above.

LOL, the days we are going it's predicting "Ghost Town". That would be awesome! Not gonna count on it, but that would be awesome.

I quit using crowd calendars.
What I will do is check the first few posts of this thread to see what is set to be happening at various times of the year.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/2019-calendar-of-events-school-breaks-and-dlr.3708938/

Adding to the chorus of "none of them are worth anything lately!" As @Geemo points out, the calendar of events thread here is the best guess.

I liked IsItPacked.com for a while, but then I saw a lot their low-day predictions didn't seem likely when compared with known events (Spring Break, for example)... I feel like Disneyland Daily's crowd predictions may be a little more on-point--because it's done by a local lady who actually goes to Disneyland and understands that Disneyland isn't Disney World on a different coast (which seems to be in stark contrast to the other crowd calendars, who don't understand the local population aspect).

You've received some very good advice above. For DLR, the consistently best "crowd calendar" information that I've found is right here on this forum!
We've got DISers who are in the parks regularly on a weekly basis, year in and year out (thank goodness for our local passholders who can report current conditions, any anomalies, and compare current trends to past data!), and DISers who are on holiday trips at this moment who can report back on daily conditions. This isn't a computer algorithm -- these are real people reporting real conditions because they're actually right there in the parks.
Also, the crowds conditions at DLR will be affected by the school calendars (local, greater SoCal, Northern CA, OR, WA, NV, UT, AZ, etc.), convention calendars, AP blockout calendars (this is big!), holidays, DLR promotions and events, weather, etc. We have threads on this board that discuss this.
For example:
Holiday crowd info -- Halloween Time Superthread, DLR 2019... too early? Me thinks not!
School calendar & convention info -- 2019 Calendar of Events & School Breaks and DLR
Current crowd pattern trends -- Why are Mondays so busy?
Weather -- during the recent rain storms, threads like this one kept folks here up to date on crowds and practical rain gear: Can we chat rain?

Last edited:
Expect it to be crowded always. Some days are guaranteed packed and then there is everything else. If your there on one of those unicorn days when its not crowded, just consider yourself lucky and buy a lottery ticket when you leave. But you can't plan on those days because tens of thousands of other people are thinking the same thing and going to go then as well.

On days when Disneyland expects it might be slower they will greatly reduce staffing so, even though fewer people are there, it feels just as crowded due to longer lines. So just go when the times and prices best suit you.

And don't try to over think it and only go on week days. No shows and fewer operating hours on many weekdays as well as reduced staffing.

But whenever you go, get up early and be there before they open the gates. In the first hour or two you will ride more rides then the rest of the entire day. And have a great time.

Last edited:
Agree with them being useless.

Three main reasons - people learned to use the calendars (negating their effectiveness), Disney blocks passes, Disney has started peak pricing further shifting visits.

I think you are good with some general rules T-F morning quieter than Friday night-M.

I like going in the winter because Californians think 60 degrees is cold and rain will melt you like the Wicked Witch of the West. But on some weekends in the winter the place is an absolute zoo.

There have many reports of crowds in recent years about summer weekends and holidays being quite manageable.

Disneyland crowd calendars just set you up for disappointment. Whenever you go is going to be busy. Just plan on it and enjoy your trip.

I think the best thing to plan around is using the calendar of events list here on these boards. You can see what wave of crowds are coming. (Conventions, School breaks, grad night).

I always thought those crowd calendars are best for tourist and supplied by travel agents. Locals make up the bulk. We don’t look at crowd calendars. AP holders can wait it out on the busiest day (and some come after work/School). But there are plenty of locals that decide at the last minute depending on weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter