Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cape May Clambake---not really it specifically but eating at a resort restaurant that does not have easy transportation or eating "out of my way" (especially if it does not involve character dining). For the most part, I had scheduled our meals to go with our schedule, and I scheduled Cape May on a night where we had nothing else planned but in the end I would have been just as happy relaxing at our resort and eating CS there.

Driving to DTD. Everyone kept saying that buses are bad to DTD so we drove...well parking there is a freaking nightmare!! I actually think I will avoid DTD altogether for our next trip.

We LOVE Cape May’s and it is a must-do. We go on a HS day and take the friendship boat at the front of HS to get there. Maybe 15-20 minutes total, each way.

However, I agree with you in principle. :thumbsup2 After going to Sanaa for two years in a row, we realized that it takes WAY too much time, especially if you are trying to go back to your resort afterward. (you have to go back to a park, and then from there back to your resort). While we love the environment at AKL, and the meal was very good, the time it sucked up was just too much to waste.

Dan

However, I agree with you in principle. :thumbsup2 After going to Sanaa for two years in a row, we realized that it takes WAY too much time, especially if you are trying to go back to your resort afterward. (you have to go back to a park, and then from there back to your resort). While we love the environment at AKL, and the meal was very good, the time it sucked up was just too much to waste.

That's interesting because I go to Boma every year and I don't mind going to DTD in order to get back to my resort because I like to spend time there shopping each trip.

Were you at Disney during the Super Bowl one year....?:confused3

Yep.. When the Packers won a few years ago. And being from Wisconsin we are big Packers fans and Enjoyed the game a little too much!:rotfl2:

We are going to be there again this year over the Super Bowl but won't have to worry about that this time!

Throughout my trips I've got quite a few things I won't be doing again:

-Traveling anywhere near Thanksgiving weekend, it's just a mess, more crowded than summer!

-Stay at Coronado Springs

-NOT use Fast Pass (the first time we didn't know how to use them properly, and only used them once!)

-AM EMH at Epcot aren't really worth it

-AM EMH at other parks are GOLD

I must admit I agree with this one. I stayed at CSR in July and I did not enjoy it. Our room had a connecting room and the people on the other side were so extremely loud and I could hear every word they said late at night.
That is not a problem with CSR, but with connecting rooms. The noise travels
through the doors. I did not like our location at CSR, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if we had Preferred rooms.

Ugg! All of these CSR mentions have me a little freaked out! Hopefully it won't be too bad!

Here are a few things I *hope* to not do again :goodvibes. First is that I am going to try to not second guess our plans so much. Our last trip was our first family WDW trip and I caused myself a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety by looking too much into various options and details and second guessing our plans a lot. I've learned that what works for some people won't work for all, and that nothing ever really goes exactly as you envision it will so in the end the primary plan/goal should be to just have fun :thumbsup2

Secondly, we will not wait more than 15 minutes in line for a character meet and greet, especially if it is a character we already met in a different setting (or someone we will see at a character meal). Waiting in a long character meet and greet line was not only an inefficient use of our park time, but my kids lost interest in meeting the character because of having to wait too long :headache:.

Lastly, for trips that are seven nights (or longer) in length, I really want us to commit to having a day off from the parks to recharge our batteries so to speak, enjoy the resort, and just have a day to relax. Our last trip was 8 days/7 nights long and we initially "planned" to have a "no park day", but the lure of the parks was too strong (it was our first trip) and we ended up upgrading our six day park ticket to an eight day ticket! In hindsight, we could have definitely had our " no park day" if we would have made some more time efficient choices on some of the days we were in the parks.

"Ugg! All of these CSR mentions have me a little freaked out! Hopefully it won't be too bad!"

It's really a beautiful resort. The problem I had with the noisey neighbors was not CSR's fault, but it was a problem with the connecting doors. Our location was very far away. A preferred room location would have been lots better.

I have seen several people list the extended family and friends as a mistake. I will definitely keep this in mind, because I was considering this type of trip. I think I will take everyone's advice and reconsider.

Going with extended family or friends is not a mistake as long as you all know the ground rules up front.

We usually go with a big group every January. The rules are simple.
No one is required to do anything.
Everyone is welcome to do anything.
We will all let each other know what each other is doing so that if anyone wants to tag along together, they can.
No one can get offended because "you didn't invite me to do that".
We usually do 1 or 2 "group" things which are planned in advance so that the group knows.

KMarston said:
Ugg! All of these CSR mentions have me a little freaked out! Hopefully it won't be too bad!

We actually liked CSR a lot. Easy to get around and much nicer than CBR, I thought. The kids loved it too. And the food court was easier to get around and not as slow.

I love reading all of the posts.

I really only have one:

No more Value resorts. I hate the beds and never could get a good rest. Just not for us. We are trying the Poly for the first time in September and I think I might not ever go back to a MOD:rotfl2:

Don't freak out... we LOVE CSR!! In a few weeks we will be going there for the 3rd time. We do also go with a preferred room. We love the location of the resort we feel like it is in the middle of all the parks (except for MK) and we have never had anything but good things to say about the resort.

The busses are great, there are 4 stops so there is always one close to your location, and we really enjoy the look and feel of this resort. It is not too 'in your face Disney'

I have stayed at CBR and the Values and would choose CSR over both of those in a heart beat.

You will have a great time!!!

CSR is the ONLY moderate I will stay at. We usually stay at AKL, BLT or WL (trying BC soon), but if we need to budget for a trip more, or can't find a great discount, we are very happy to stay at CSR. It just feels more upscale than the other mods to me.

Not setting aside time to enjoy the resort - pool & other activities. On our last trip we stayed at WL and went to 3 pool movies at night and the kids had time to swim on 2 afternoons. The kids loved it, DH loved it, and I must say the adult beverage by the pool was a pretty nice treat.

One thing I will always do from now on, give each kid a Disney gift card that they can spend however they want BUT, it's all the souvenir money they get for the trip. Teaches them to budget & I don't have to deal with the "Can I have that" questions after every ride. I just ask, "Do you want your gift card?" and am shocked at how often the answer is no. A year later, both kids still enjoy the items they selected!

LSK said:
Not setting aside time to enjoy the resort - pool & other activities. On our last trip we stayed at WL and went to 3 pool movies at night and the kids had time to swim on 2 afternoons. The kids loved it, DH loved it, and I must say the adult beverage by the pool was a pretty nice treat.

One thing I will always do from now on, give each kid a Disney gift card that they can spend however they want BUT, it's all the souvenir money they get for the trip. Teaches them to budget & I don't have to deal with the "Can I have that" questions after every ride. I just ask, "Do you want your gift card?" and am shocked at how often the answer is no. A year later, both kids still enjoy the items they selected!

I will have to make a note and do this next time I go

We will never stay in a 2-bedroom with the entire family again! We wanted the kitchen and to be close to the grandkids, etc. That was a mistake.
DD & DSIL have different parenting skills than I do, so when the kids were running wild throughout the entire place it became a nightmare!

It will be 2 studios for sure!

Also, we will never go during the time that the Brazil groups are there!!! (right after July 4th). Horrible experiences with that.

May I ask why? We have never seen it & I had it on my "must do" list this time. I have heard it can be a little scary & I do have 2 little ones so I'm starting to second guess.

Our 6-year-old was terrified, as were tons of other kids around us. And honestly, I thought the "show" was just a mish-mosh of random images with no real cohesion. Basically, they take you through Mickey's worst nightmare - seriously. The effects of the picture on the water was kinda cool, for a minute or two. And then it's good luck not getting trampled leaving the theatre. We'd have walked out in the middle, but it was so dark, we couldn't see the stairs well enough to do so safely.

Our 6-year-old was terrified, as were tons of other kids around us. And honestly, I thought the "show" was just a mish-mosh of random images with no real cohesion. Basically, they take you through Mickey's worst nightmare - seriously. The effects of the picture on the water was kinda cool, for a minute or two. And then it's good luck not getting trampled leaving the theatre. We'd have walked out in the middle, but it was so dark, we couldn't see the stairs well enough to do so safely.

That's very helpful! I think we will skip it again. My boys do get scared pretty easily. I would hate for them to be terrified & stuck there in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter