Mistake you will not repeat next time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
xipotec said:
Taking the bus to Animal Kingdom and HS . We had our car, next time we will use it so we do do not have to wait for over packed buses with "men" who don't know common decency to give up their seat for a lady or child....

Please don't judge those you don't know. This man has Vertigo as well as arthritis in both hips, makes it almost impossible to stand on a moving vehicle. But to look at me you would just see a healthy looking 40 something man.

While I would love to add to this discussion, I won't. I can see this derailing this entire thread and taking it off topic. The whole "bus etiquette" topic has been discussed to death.

Dan

Another mistake for me is to take a good look at the park map before we enter the park. I hadn't been in 8 years and thought I had a good idea of where things were in MK but I sent my DH the wrong way to get FP's at PP. Later, we went the wrong direction to get to the Tiki Room. Next time I need to write out our TP and map it instead of keep it in my head.

I will not take family members whose company I do not enjoy just because they make me feel guilty. We spend a fortune on vacation and I'm not going to let it be ruined by spending it with someone that I don't like!

My BFF is going thru this right now...her inlaws are major buzz kills but want to take their granddaughter for the first time! My BFF is freaking that they'll ruin the trip...and they probably will! I know them, they're not Disney people and like to complain about everything!

Wow that is a true bummer. Maybe take a break from taking her there, and maybe when she is 5, 6 or even 7 she will like it better. Have you taken her to Dutch Wonderland in Lancaster?

So funny bc we had the option to go there with our Hershey tix (went for the Winter festivitites and LOVED it) but didnt go...plan on going next Winter...we drove by it on our way to Strasburg Train Station, looked very cute and I know she'd love it. Wish I didnt already book our plane tix for WDW this April so we're already tied in to going this yr. I know she'll have fun, she really does absolutely love Disney. But she's nervous about going on rides she doesnt want to go on. I keep telling her we do NOT have to go on those rides but she asks me everyday to please not go on Peter Pan. I'm like "Ava, relax! Its ok, we wont go on it!". So I booked the BBB as something else to do and kill time. She is a girly girl to the max and loves all things hair, makeup, nails, princess. I think she'll absolutely love that! She just needs to work on her anxiety! Once we're there, she'll see and be fine.

The BBB is awesome and my daughter loved it, but they pulled her hair back so tight that she was uncomfortable the rest of the day.

The BBB is awesome and my daughter loved it, but they pulled her hair back so tight that she was uncomfortable the rest of the day.

It does look kinda tight, LOL! But she may be used to it bc I do her hair up every day :rotfl:Personally, it would give me a headache but I have a sensitive head! This may end up being the mistake for this trip!! haha! As far as the glitter goes tho, she loves it, wants to bathe in it, :rotfl2:

You guys are making me even more nervous about my upcoming trip with the inlaws. At least we are staying in different hotels.

Dont panic - we have gone to Disney with my inlaws all but one trip and that one was with my parents, and all have been great.

While all relationships are different, dont underestimate the value of having the grandparents along - we have loved traveling with both sets of them and appreciate all of the help they provide with the kids immensely.

One important requirement is that you set your expectations correctly. When people go to WDW they do not magically change - they are who they are. And if you go in with that clear in your mind, and plan accordingly around that, it helps everyone.

Example - the inlaws like their morning coffee and sweet, we like hitting rides at rope drop. We agree that we will go to the park together but that after they spend 30 min at MS bakery waking up while we are riding - we meet wherever we are in our intinerary. Or, off site years we purchased mugs and good coffee to brew at the house for them to bring along to the parks.

Now, we do have pretty fantastic parents on both sides so it is admittedly easy for us, but everyone - including me and DH - has their quirks!

Sydnerella's Mama

SpectroMagic*o* said:
My BFF is going thru this right now...her inlaws are major buzz kills but want to take their granddaughter for the first time! My BFF is freaking that they'll ruin the trip...and they probably will! I know them, they're not Disney people and like to complain about everything!

So funny bc we had the option to go there with our Hershey tix (went for the Winter festivitites and LOVED it) but didnt go...plan on going next Winter...we drove by it on our way to Strasburg Train Station, looked very cute and I know she'd love it. Wish I didnt already book our plane tix for WDW this April so we're already tied in to going this yr. I know she'll have fun, she really does absolutely love Disney. But she's nervous about going on rides she doesnt want to go on. I keep telling her we do NOT have to go on those rides but she asks me everyday to please not go on Peter Pan. I'm like "Ava, relax! Its ok, we wont go on it!". So I booked the BBB as something else to do and kill time. She is a girly girl to the max and loves all things hair, makeup, nails, princess. I think she'll absolutely love that! She just needs to work on her anxiety! Once we're there, she'll see and be fine.

You could always try Sea World and maybe Bucsh Gardens if you already have plane tickets. More outdoor rides, maybe it is the dark throwing her off. My youngest DD didn't like them either when she was younger.

Other than day trips, we will never invite anyone on extended Disney trips again..... I love my family, but meh, their expectations and ours are quite different.

You guys are making me even more nervous about my upcoming trip with the inlaws. At least we are staying in different hotels.

Its easy... just know the tricks before you go :thumbsup2

1) I got stuck waiting in front of the Magic Kingdom for 1 hour. I should have told our friends to meet us inside the park. And now that I know they are often late... I give them time zones. I will wait for 15mins and then I'm going to ride some rides if you haven't showed up (morning park hours are too valuable to waste). If we miss each other, we will meet-up at lunch at our planned appointment. If you are late to lunch we will look for you in front of the castle at 3:00pm.

2) I got stuck sitting in my parents hotel room for an hour while they were still getting ready. We now tell them we are leaving for the parks at 8:30 and if they aren't ready... we will meet them at lunch for our planned appointment.

3) We plan to split into small groups and meet back for dinner. Large groups are difficult at Disney, we split into three groups of 2 or 3 people each, and let people with like interest, the same ability to walk longer distances, stamina, energy... go and do their own thing.

Everyone is so much more happy at the end of the day. :lovestruc

Also remember.... Disney is BIG! Everything takes twice as long to get to, as you had original planned. LOL

We are staying at a different resort than my inlaws so I think that'll actually help. We'll head over for RD while they sit down for breakfast. No pressure to join them. No feeling guilty for not waiting. They can just call our cell phone when they arrive at the park.

They don't like the character breakfast I picked (TH) so they aren't joining us for that. In fact, I won't be surprised if they skip AK all together as my MIL, heat, and animals do not go well together. :rotfl:

We've also made it clear that we won't be joining them for sit down dinners and they seem fine with it. So really, we won't have that much time together. :banana:

rizzo0904 said:
We are staying at a different resort than my inlaws so I think that'll actually help. We'll head over for RD while they sit down for breakfast. No pressure to join them. No feeling guilty for not waiting. They can just call our cell phone when they arrive at the park.

They don't like the character breakfast I picked (TH) so they aren't joining us for that. In fact, I won't be surprised if they skip AK all together as my MIL, heat, and animals do not go well together. :rotfl:

We've also made it clear that we won't be joining them for sit down dinners and they seem fine with it. So really, we won't have that much time together. :banana:

Sounds close to what we are planing for our trip this summer. My parents will also only be there part of the trip, so that should help. We're staying at the Swan Dolphin, so my guess is well have dinner together most nights. If, which will likely be the case, the don't do rope drop we will just meet with them later.

Sent from my iPad mini using DISBoards

When we went to Disney World earlier this month we were super prepared and had the best time of our lives.

One of the things I wanted to do was try a Dole Whip the first day we were at MK. Didn't happen. Second time there... Didn't happen. Third time at MK... Didn't happen. On the last day (4th time at MK) I told my wife that trying a Dole Whip was a priority and it was going to happen.

Well I did get that Dole Whip. I had a taste, my two boys had a taste, my wife had a taste. That Dole Whip was devoured like we were cave people eating a turkey leg!!!! It was Awesome!!!

I wish we would have tried one on day 1!!!!! If we had I can guarantee that the snack credits would have been used up way before our last day at the parks. So next time we go and have the opportunity to try something new earlier in the week we will!

First thing on the agenda next December when we go back is hitting up the Dole Whip stand!

:goodvibes They are amazing!!! I shared one with my brother and it was gone in minutes! They are just too good to eat slowly LOLOL :rotfl2:

You could always try Sea World and maybe Bucsh Gardens if you already have plane tickets. More outdoor rides, maybe it is the dark throwing her off. My youngest DD didn't like them either when she was younger.

Thanks for the suggestion! Im interested in Legoland too...we are doing Disney because she's so excited about it. No matter how scared of dark rides she gets, she still always wants to go, she wants to go on Soarin this year, we'll see!! Hopefully she likes!!

Although it can't happen again, because our youngest is 12yo...

I will never go to a park again with a 3 month old and no formula! I have no idea how we forgot that, but we ended up buying what they had in the park--it was $9 for 4 ounces!

june@imsarc.com said:
Although it can't happen again, because our youngest is 12yo...

I will never go to a park again with a 3 month old and no formula! I have no idea how we forgot that, but we ended up buying what they had in the park--it was $9 for 4 ounces!

Oh my! That is expensive. One day I forgot my sunglasses. I had to buy a pair in MK or take the time to go back to the resort. I bought a pair in MK. Now I check my bag like I have ocd lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter