Mission: Space

dizneygirl55

Mouseketeer
Hi,

For those that have been on the MSP ride-can you let me know how it went? We are going this May and someone in our group is a bit claustrophobic and will get occasionally nausea on rides. Especially if the ride goes on and on. They can handle RnR, Tower of Terror, Dinosaur, and Star Wars. They are really concerned about MS. About how long is the ride once you are in the seats? We would love to all have the 1st experience together if possible. Please let me know for those that have been on the ride!

Thanks!

:wave:

Does this person get dizzy on the teacups? If so, forget it. I had a funny feeling in my stomach after the ride and was dizzy. Not so bad that I was sick, but I didn't go on this ride again. I am ok in closed in spaces and this was alittle closed in. Maybe the rest of you can go on and see how it goes. Otherwise have this be the last ride of the night for this person in case it doesn't go well. I am probably in the miniority that felt that the ride could have ended earlier for me and I would have been just fine! Good luck.

I went on Mission Space in July 2003 and LOVED it! It was awesome. I get car sick, but I didn't have any nausea. Others that have posted said they did get a little sick, but if you take a motion sickness pill, you could avoid that feeling. There is cold air blowing in your face too.
Sorry, I don't get claustrophobic, but I never felt closed in at all. It is not really close until the monitor moves up to you and by that time, you are into the ride scene and interested in the storyline. I thought it was a great ride and everyone in my family did fine with this ride.

How long was the ride? Mainly the motion part. I feel that the person can take the ride for a few minutes-they can ride RnR with no problem.

:earsboy:

The ride itself lasts about 4 and a half minutes. No one can tell you how this attraction will affect you. It's amazing anyone goes on the ride considering all of the caution warnings and danger signals. The ride is not worth getting sick over; just skip it.
Personally, I thought it was a piece of cake!

I don't have a problem with motion sickness(i.e. riding in cars, people mover conveyers) but I do have a problem with rides like teacups or tilt-a-whirl type rides. I was slightly apprehensive about MS, but was willing to give it a try. After reading several postings the common denominator that I could come up with is to do as instructed. Don't move your head around and look straight at the screen.

I survived my first ride, and although I wasn't ready to turn around and get right back in line, doing the ride again was definately in my plans.

After my second ride I was ready to test the waters and move my head on the take off portion of the ride. I quickly learned why they say not to move your head. After that little experience I returned my head to its proper position and looked at the screen.

I didn't get sick, but could understand how someone could, especially if you are prone to motion sickness. If someone didn't know ahead of time this was a spinning ride and they followed the instructions they would never realize the sensation was created by spinning. I think some of the difference is due to the fact you are in an enclosed unit and you don't see things whizzing by in your periferal vison. MS however is definately a very unique experience and in my opinion worth giving it a try. Just follow the instructions.

One other thing, once you enter the building it seemed to the building had movement to it. Sort of the feeling you get in an elevator but much more subtle. This was probably all in my head, but its something that someone that is apprehensive about the ride might want to be prepared for.

Saa62,

Thanks for the feedback! I think that the person in our group will be much willing to try it now. They can't do the tea cup ride either but I think they will try this one! We are all so excited and can't wait until we get there to let the magic begin. I do appreciate the responses each time I have inquired on the board regarding anything Disney and have had so many positive responses!

Thanks so much again! I appreciate your time!

:sunny:

Made the trip once. I will put off going to Mars again until it becomes available for real. They warn you constantly before boarding that if you cannot take high spinning rides and closed spaces, you should not go on. Note, they do not say "just consider" not going on, they say don't go on and I highly recommend you heed those warnings. I get somewhat queazy on Teacups and going upside down in RnR but it is nothing major. I have no problems with things like Tower, Star Wars and Dinosaur. But this ride is the extreme and it plays tricks on you -- your body is telling you that you are spinning at high speed but your mind thinks otherwise because you are staring in a dark tube at a TV screen. This contradiction makes the ultimate effects worse than if the two parts of you agreed. I was disoriented for almost an hour after exiting this ride. If someone in your group is a bit claustrophobic and gets occassionally nauseous on spinning rides then do both of yourselves a favor and do not even try to convince the person to go on.

We are just back from our trip and we rode MS our first day there. DH and DS are prone to motion sicknes and took dramamine an hour before they rode. I was feeling a little queasy before I got on, and the ride didn't make me feel nauseas at all. The ride to me was just a very strange sensation almost like getting gas at the dentists office. I ate a ginger candy afterwards and felt fine. DH wasn't sure if he liked it or not, with all the hype we expected a lot more. I also did not think there were that many more warnings than some other rides. They do have bags mounted on the control panel if you need it during the ride, and a CM is standing as you exit looking for people who don't feel well, they are also holding bags if you need it. We didnt see anyone get sick while we were there. DS (who gets motion sick) closed his eyes at one point and when he got off felt a little disoriented, but it went away very fast. My other DS loved it and had no effects from the ride. On friday we went again, DS prone to motion sickness didn't ride again as he wasn't feeling well, but other DS went on 3 times in a row! I went on it this time feeling a little congested, when I got off I felt a little dizzy my first 3 steps, but was fine after that. I think it is really very individual how every one reacts, and you just don't know until you try it.

Both my kids (15 and 12) went on it twice in a row the other day. They loved it, and my DD gets car sick. You know the feeling you get when the plane changes altitudes? Well, I don't particularly enjoy that feeling, and my son said, "Then it's a really good thing you didn't go on MS."

This is a very unique ride that can't be compared to teacups or TOT or whatever. People who have no problems with any of the other rides may still experience "problems" with Mission:Space. I went on and had no troubles, but my daughter ( who goes on many thrill-type rides that I don't ) was a bit under the weather for a couple of hours afterwards. I think it's worth a shot as long as you're prepared to cut your day short if it doesn't work out. Good luck!

Originally posted by Twigs
They do have bags mounted on the control panel if you need it during the ride, and a CM is standing as you exit looking for people who don't feel well, they are also holding bags if you need it.
Thanks! I always wondered if they had something for those people who felt ill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter