Mission Space

GOOFY4DONALD

DH finished his plate at 50's Prime Time. They wer
I am headed to Disney for our 6th trip in December. I have ridden every ride (that was open as of Dec 2014) except 1...mission space orange. My kids said it's no big deal however reading up and watching shows has had me so worked up I never even wanted to attempt it.
Can someone help describe it the best they can?

My best description is that the orange side is intense. You experience the sensation of being launched and pressed back into your seat, and then the feeling of weightlessness as you clear earth's gravity. And then there the landing on Mars. The cabin that you're in is part of a large pod that hangs from a long arm attached to a spoke, and there are other pods on other arms. When the orange side of the ride starts, the pods are swung by the arms in a wide circle. You don't feel any actual spinning motion, but it does serve to cause the pressure that pushes you back into your seat as you're "launched." The pod will lean backward or forward in keeping with whatever is happening. I've done it and I survived, although I will admit that I was a little shaky afterwards. A fair number of people find that lends itself to motion sickness, especially if you're already prone to that. The best tips for riding it the first time are to do it on an empty stomach and always keep your eyes open and focused straight ahead. If you close your eyes, you have no external reference point for what your body is feeling, and it can actually make things worse. There is a constant gentle stream of cool air blowing in your face, which also helps. Kids do tend to think it's no big deal, but anyone over 40 might not share that opinion. I do prefer the green side - it's the same ride but the pod doesn't swing around in the circle to create pressure - it just moves backward or forward a little.

Basically, you're in a simulator that simulates a rocket blastoff, orbit, etc. You have a view screen that shows these things happening, and the attraction simulates these events by spinning the ride vehicle at certain times and creating G forces.

I have issues with other simulators like Star Tours, but for some reason M:S doesn't bother me. DW is the opposite: she usually has no problems with simulators but she's given up on M:S Orange. Really throws off her equilibrium and makes her dizzy and nauseous for quite awhile after. She's decided it's just not for her and usually shops in Mouse Gear while the rest of us do it.

On Monday I went on the intense team. I can ride every coaster or ride in any park or on any fairground without problems. (I am used to German fairground rides!)

It was not the first time for me riding mission space, but it was the first time for me not having a meal or a drink for hours before. The spinning started and I started to feel dizzy for about one second. It was a feeling I have never felt before.

When the intense spinning began for the second time I felt dizzy again for a second. But I had so much fun and I was laughing so hard that I did not worry. I would do it again, but I would have something to drink before getting in line.

The spinning is really intense, but it is only spinning. It helps when you imagine that you are in a capsule which is just spinning around, not going high up or down. Just keep your head up and forward, do not close your eyes.

The ride feels quite short, but for people who are in panic it may feel like hours.

I love roller coasters. Can't get enough of them. If it's a spinny ride (Scrambler comes to mind), I'm done. I knew MS spins to create the g-forces. I thought since I didn't actually see it spinning and not have the visual of it spinning I'd be okay. Not so much. Thank goodness there's a pretty awesome arcade right there. That kept my son occupied while I found a bench and tried to regain my senses. If you can handle spinning rides you should be good to go. If not, avoid this like the plague.

The spinning is really intense, but it is only spinning, so nothing to worry about. Just keep your head up and forward, do not close your eyes.

It really bugs me when people say that, because I did that my one and only time on orange (there wasn't a green when I rode it), and I have never felt so crappy after getting off a ride - I ended up having to go to the first aid center and lie down for awhile.

We've only done the green side once and usually do the orange side. I think we did the green side that time because the line was shorter & we were tight on time or something. Anyway, I honestly didn't think there was a huge difference between the two. I expected a lot less motion. The ride I don't like is the tea cups! :rotfl:

So glad this thread was started! We have never been on Mission Space..we skipped it 11 years ago because kids were little and it scared me. We thought for our upcoming trip to just try the green side... I am thinking now not even green would be worth it for people with motion sickness of any kind? For sure NO orange.. but over 45 years old and cannot ride Star tours would surely be a no go...right?

Honestly I can't tell I am spinning. All I feel are G forces. My 4yr old rode it with no problems. It is a must do on every trip.

To be clear, the only difference between Green Team and Orange Team is that Orange Team will spin the simulator to simulate g-forces at three points during the ride, for about 10 to 15 seconds each time. That is the only time it spins. It doesn't really feel like a spin because you have no visual reference, so it just feels like your body is heavier and your arms are heavier to lift to hit your buttons. This can mess with your equilibrium and such, especially if you turn your head. Someone above mentioned a "Gravitron" ride (one of those flying saucers at a carnival), which is very similar except sustains a spin for the entire time. Arguably, Mission: SPACE is less intense than that is.

I am headed to Disney for our 6th trip in December. I have ridden every ride (that was open as of Dec 2014) except 1...mission space orange. My kids said it's no big deal however reading up and watching shows has had me so worked up I never even wanted to attempt it.
Can someone help describe it the best they can?

I have done it a few times without issue but what i recommend to anyone who wants to try it for the first time is to try it at the end of your day or right before you head back to your resort for a long day.
It's not a "must do" for us and while I think it's fun, it's not worth getting sick over or possibly ruining my plans for the rest of the day.

So glad this thread was started! We have never been on Mission Space..we skipped it 11 years ago because kids were little and it scared me. We thought for our upcoming trip to just try the green side... I am thinking now not even green would be worth it for people with motion sickness of any kind? For sure NO orange.. but over 45 years old and cannot ride Star tours would surely be a no go...right?

I have ridden green multiple times (also over 45 and can barely tolerate Star Tours) and it is totally tame. The vehicle tilts forward and back at different points but it's really do-able).

I tried orange once after a friend (his first time to WDW) rode it and proclaimed it to be "hardly noticeable". I got off it and felt lousy for close to an hour.

I got back at him by making him sit through Captain Eo while I waited outside.

I got back at him by making him sit through Captain Eo while I waited outside.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

All y'all talking about Star Tours is makin' me nervous! I've never ridden it and was looking forward to riding it this trip. Now I'm nervous. :worried:

It's such an individual thing...a personal reaction to this ride. People experience it very differently based on their own sensory sensitivities. Ride it once to see if you like it. I happen to love it, but I can see where some would not. But you'll never know until you try! I hope you enjoy it.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

All y'all talking about Star Tours is makin' me nervous! I've never ridden it and was looking forward to riding it this trip. Now I'm nervous. :worried:

I have always hated spinning rides (tea cups) and looping roller coasters (RnR). They make me feel so sick, but when I was younger I could ride Star Tours multiple times. Now that age is catching up with me, I can do Star Tours once per trip.

well, actually it is intense....really intense. I love it, but I admit that the forces are quite strong. it's not a ride for everyone.

But the green team is a big ok for the family. not intense but really fun (since the cabin is full of interactive buttons etc.)

so, really think well before deciding to try it.

Don't mean to start a debate but contrary to some lines of thought, it is a misconception that an empty stomach can mitigate motion sickness. As a matter of fact, the contrary is true and in reality an empty stomach is the worse thing you can do. It has been known for participation in things such as deep sea fishing or ferries, etc. that empty stomachs are bad. Not to start a debate. Now that said, obviously don't be stuffed full of food either. Consult the Google - decide for yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter