Miss Piggy Goes Over to the Dark Side (They Have Cookies ;) )

I SAW YOU IN TONY'S THAT DAY!

We were just a couple tables over! I saw someone standing up to take pictures directly above their food, and I thought to myself #1 - That's different, I usually just take the picture on the angle from which I see it sitting... never would've thought of that. #2 - I wonder if she's a DIS-er, I have to take a mental note of what she looks like in case I see a picture of her when I get back to these boards.

Well, I saw the picture of you earlier in the review and thought, hey, she looks familiar and she was there the same time as us! Is that the one we saw taking pictures in Tony's? Next thing I know, I see a Tony's review... it WAS you! :lmao:

We were putting the little Mickeys on our glasses as well... fun times!

And I also ordered the calzone! I liked it! I usually salt my food, but this one didn't need any additional salt - you're right about that! Sorry if it was too much for you - that's too bad!

Anyway... had to post...

It's a small world after all... :rolleyes1

I LOVE coffee and definitely plan on getting it (is it covered on the dining plan?). Mark already has his eyes on the Big Kahuna (I think I even posted a picture of it in my PTR (someone let me use their picture). I'm going with the omelet and will taste some of his stuff (I don't like bananas so won't eat Tonga Toast and I don't like nuts so the pancakes are out).

I love potatos. It may have just been an "off" night for them.

we were on the dining plan and were told we could get the pressed pot as our drink because you ordinarily get two drinks with breakfast (in place of dessert) so each of us could get our own pot. It did take up "two" drinks, so no juice (which was fine, we're not that big on juice.) There's a steak & eggs breakfast, too if you're not liking the nut pancakes. I do like bananas, but about 3 bites of tonga toast was 2 bites too many for me...just too sickeningly sweet.:sad2:

I SAW YOU IN TONY'S THAT DAY!

We were just a couple tables over! I saw someone standing up to take pictures directly above their food, and I thought to myself #1 - That's different, I usually just take the picture on the angle from which I see it sitting... never would've thought of that. #2 - I wonder if she's a DIS-er, I have to take a mental note of what she looks like in case I see a picture of her when I get back to these boards.

Well, I saw the picture of you earlier in the review and thought, hey, she looks familiar and she was there the same time as us! Is that the one we saw taking pictures in Tony's? Next thing I know, I see a Tony's review... it WAS you! :lmao:

We were putting the little Mickeys on our glasses as well... fun times!

And I also ordered the calzone! I liked it! I usually salt my food, but this one didn't need any additional salt - you're right about that! Sorry if it was too much for you - that's too bad!

Anyway... had to post...

It's a small world after all... :rolleyes1

I was having a heck of time in Tony's to get the photos to come out...tried flash on, flash off, this angle/that angle...think the big problem was the dark paneling around us made it kind of dim in our immediate area, but all the light coming from that glassed-in part towards the front confused my camera. Don't have a real expensive camera, so the poor thing often has a heck of a time getting the correct light levels. I had to stand up to get far enough away & avoid the flash-glare on the plate, lol.

But that is sooo cool you saw me there...wish you would have said something (after all, you have to figure it's probably another crazy dis'er taking pictures of food, crazies that we are.) Would have loved to meet a fellow fanatic in person!

As for my food, well it could be my calzone just got hit with an extra shake of salt...I usually like salty food so "too much salt" doesn't happen very often for me. The insides were good, anyway.

You're doing a review, right? :woohoo: Love to read you review of Tony's...always good to see the different experiences people can have at the same time at Disney!

I was having a heck of time in Tony's to get the photos to come out...tried flash on, flash off, this angle/that angle...think the big problem was the dark paneling around us made it kind of dim in our immediate area, but all the light coming from that glassed-in part towards the front confused my camera. Don't have a real expensive camera, so the poor thing often has a heck of a time getting the correct light levels. I had to stand up to get far enough away & avoid the flash-glare on the plate, lol.

But that is sooo cool you saw me there...wish you would have said something (after all, you have to figure it's probably another crazy dis'er taking pictures of food, crazies that we are.) Would have loved to meet a fellow fanatic in person!

As for my food, well it could be my calzone just got hit with an extra shake of salt...I usually like salty food so "too much salt" doesn't happen very often for me. The insides were good, anyway.

You're doing a review, right? :woohoo: Love to read you review of Tony's...always good to see the different experiences people can have at the same time at Disney!

I've got my beginner "cool" camera... a Cannon Rebel - my first dSLR. I have to say, it's fun playing with it. I like being able to focus on subjects better, while blurring the background - stuff like that. Except that because I'm playing around with it so much, if I'm trying to snap a picture in a hurry (like before someone takes a bite of that __), my camera won't be on automatic, and I may not have a chance to get it as focused as it should be. But when I do have a chance to focus, it can take some really neat shots.

I started learning about photography using just my point and shoot. After you've done all you can with a point and shoot though, if you really like photography, it's time to upgrade. Hubby actually took on a special job one December, just with the purpose of getting me a digital SLR! So sweet! I was shocked he pulled that off! (I didn't know he was working extra hours elsewhere because his main job at the time had some funky hours anyway.) I really didn't think I'd be getting a camera like that for years! I've got a really special hubby. :goodvibes

Only problem is that there are so many features, it's hard to get used to a digital SLR at first! And in Disney restaurants, the atmospheres differ so much! Lighting and glares do pose a problem at times... I understand the frustration! You've either got too many options with a dSLR, or not enough options with a point and shoot!

Yup, I'm doin' a review, except it's a bit of a triple-header (three trips we took this year), so I've got a while to go before I do my take on Tony's... There's a link in my signature...

Well, last year we attended a Star Wars weekend and joined really long lines when we arrived 30 minutes before park opening. They started letting people in about 20 minutes before opening, but held everyone in a big crowd at the ropes there at the first intersection, just like usual openings. So this year, we thought it would be great to get into Hollywood Studios for breakfast before the park opened, figuring that would give us good position at the ropes before 9:00 a.m.

Well, best laid plans, and all that. Hmm…although we checked in right around 7:50, and there was only like 5 families standing there waiting to be seated...they didn't actually start seating people until well after 8:00 due to some computer glitch. Our waitress took our drink order (coffee for all, and cranberry juice for me), we headed to the buffet.

The buffet area devoted to breakfast at Hollywood & Vine was smaller than the Crystal Palace buffet, for starters. OK, I actually only took two pictures because the food was just not worth taking more, sad to say. Not only was the selection more limited, but what was available seemed to rely on a lot of food that was of the canned/frozen/prepackaged variety…and quality control was lacking. Here’s Kermie’s plate:
HVbiscuitsgravypotatoeseggshash.jpg

As always, he had the Biscuits & gravy (good) but the rest was not so good: bacon (really chewy - like jerky), corned beef hash (this had the consistency of canned hash--blech-- with veggies added) and chunky breakfast potatoes (undercooked)
This was my plate (Yoda’s was similar)
HVfruitchoccroissantbaconcheesyhash.jpg
Upper right, fresh fruit (very good). On the plate, chocolate croissant (also very good) but unfortunately, that was about it for “good”…the rest of the plate: bacon (jerky) & sausage (bland), cheesy hash browns (undercooked frozen hash browns with velveeta-like cheese-eww), ham (too salty), egg casserole (rubbery scrambled eggs, with tiny bits of pepper added.) Meh breakfast, for sure. We also had Yoplait yogurt (individual packages) and regular croissants (stale, with the usual rock-hard butter packets.) There was a fairly large selection of small danish pastries, but nothing special there.

So to sum it up, the biscuits & gravy were good, as were the chocolate croissants and the fresh fruit. Other than that, not so much. When we returned to our table, the waitress brought our drinks, including my juice. Which was warm! Our waitress says "it’s never cold until about an hour after we open…would you like ice in it?” Are you kidding me…if you know it’s warm, why not ice it before serving? I mean, really, how many people actually want to drink it warm? I said yes to ice..and that was the last we saw of her (or any other servers) until we tracked her down to get our check.

This is a character meal, but we really didn’t know these characters from the Disney channel. We just said "Hi" when they came around, but the kids around us did seem to enjoy the little get-up-and-dance gig the characters did, along with a singing castmember. Looked cute & fun.

By 8:30, we were pretty much done eating…there just wasn’t a whole lot to linger over. We had to track down our waitress (don’t know what she was so busy with, because at 8:30 I don’t think 20 tables total were being used in there, and there were at least 10 servers/bussers around.) Anyway, when she came to the table, we told her we were ready for our checks - and pointed out that we needed two checks, because we were not all in the same room. It took her more than 15 minutes to get the checks straight (and when she returned with them, she also delivered us a lecture on how difficult we made it by having two cards, and it was a lot of work to split the bill.) Really…you have 3 adult buffet meals, all the same price. No variation at all - no drinks or apps or side dishes that have to go on a specific check. Just how difficult is that to put two meals on one check and one meal on another check? Almost every time we’ve done the dining plan , we’ve had parties with 2 different rooms at the table and this was the first time ever that any server said this was “difficult.” I guess she just needs some practice ringing up dining plan tickets. When she was done with her little spiel about how much work it was, we did tell her this was the first time ever in 20 or 30 Disney restaurants that splitting checks was an issue…

Anyway, we finally got out of there at about 8:50...to find that they had already let the waiting hordes in, and there were now multiple ropes set up through out the park…all of which were about 20 people deep already. So not only was it a mediocre breakfast, but we didn’t even get any rope-drop advantage by getting there so early. (We still managed to have a nice morning at DHS…though the crowds were insane by about 10:30 a.m.)

So, final thought: this breakfast ran $26.62 each (with tax) making this place about $5 more per person than Crystal Palace…WTH? They were both character meals, in parks…and H & V had far less variety (not to mention worse quality.) I just don’t get why the price was higher? Anyway, it was covered by the DxDP. But start to finish, this just did not work...slow to seat people, mediocre food & service. I‘d give it one point for the cute characters, and one point for the biscuits & gravy, chocolate croissants, fruit - so a rating of 2 out of 10. Would we return: no way. :sad2:

Great TR & Photos. I was particularly pleased to read your review on the Turf Club because we wanted to give it a try when we stay at SSR in October. :goodvibes

Sorry that your H&V breakfast was so unpleasant.

Great TR & Photos. I was particularly pleased to read your review on the Turf Club because we wanted to give it a try when we stay at SSR in October. :goodvibes

Sorry that your H&V breakfast was so unpleasant.

Thanks...and have fun at SSR - it's a beautiful resort, lovely grounds.

H & V, oh well. It gets bad reviews so often, but I always took them with a grain of salt, because we actually have eaten dinner there before. The dinner buffet food was good (service was a little slow.) So we really expected breakfast to be at least OK.

We've had so many good meals at Disney, guess there has to be an occasional loser there.

Our original plan was to hang out at DHS until about 1:30. It was Star Wars Weekend, and we expected crowds but lordy, these crowds were crazy! The lines were everywhere…even One Man’s Dream was jam-packed with people (have never seen a line at One Man’s Dream!) And the heat/humidity: at noon, it was already 92 F. Before the lines got too bad, we’d done TSM twice (once with fast pass); also One Man’s Dream, Great Movie Ride, and the Muppets. We did a little shopping in the SWW shop (was not yet mobbed for the day…I’ve read that at times they had a snake line set up to get into the shop! Wasn’t that bad when we were there.) We also had a nice break mid-morning in Writer’s Stop. Sorry, no pictures, but we had mocha slushies…I had a carrot-cake cookie, and Yoda had a muffin. We sat at the corner windows…had a great view of SW characters walking by. Some were park guests in their own costumes: brave, brave souls in full-face make-up/fur/leather, etc. Had to be soooo hot! By the time we finished Muppets, the lines everywhere were crazy-long. Felt so sorry for people hurrying over to get fast passes at TSM…even though closing time had been extended from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., the fast pass machines were giving out FP with return time of 8:45 p.m. at 10:00 a.m., so all of the fastpasses for that day were long gone by noon! The stand-by for TSM at noon was 120 minutes…and people were still getting in line. Mermaid Fastpasses were also gone at noon. So after walking back to the Magic of Disney Animation and seeing the line backing out the door into the sun (have NEVER seen that, either) we decided to call it a day and head over to DTD, even though it was only a little after noon.

We arrived at WPC shortly before 1:00 and told them we did have an ADR for 2:00. Was no trouble being seated early: there was only about ½ dozen tables occupied at 1:00. It was so nice to be out of the sun, sitting in air conditioning with a lovely view of the lake from our table. I’ve seen complaints that WPC is very loud…I can see that it would be, when full of people, since all the décor is “hard” surface…tile/metal/glass. But since it was mostly empty when we were there it was actually very quiet. Our server, Tyler, appeared immediately to tell us the specials and take our drink orders…have to say this guy had to be on the top-ten list of best-servers we‘ve had anywhere. He was always there, ready with re-fills, clearing plates, serving the next course, etc. There‘s a fine line between obnoxious hovering and good service: this guy walked that line perfectly. There when we wanted/needed anything, but not intrusive at all. It was a wonderfully relaxing, enjoyable meal.

We opted for no alcohol…after the heat of the morning we were all thirsty & decided to stick with beverages we could chug (without adverse affects, lol.) I chose coke, Yoda went for strawberry lemonade and Kermie picked iced tea. Tyler kept those glasses full the entire time we were there.

The Wolfgang Puck Café is really pretty extensive for lunch…or maybe they use the dinner menu on the weekends? Anyway, we were used to menus with about 5 or 6 appetizer choices…at WPC, there’s more like 20 choices for apps. Decisions, decisions! In addition to all the usual appetizers like salads, soups, cheese dips & onion rings they have several sushi choices which are allowed as appetizers on the DxDDP. Yippee!

Yoda chose these beauties, loaded with fish: “Rainbow Roll: California inside out roll with tuna, whitefish, salmon, shrimp and avocado.$14.95” …and he ate every bit (well, he offered me a bite.) Big serving: this could have been a full meal if he’d added a salad!
WPCRAINBOWROLL.jpg

I wanted something a bit lighter so went for the California Rolls, which appear on the menu as “Deluxe California Roll: Cucumber, avocado and kanikama, inside out.$12.95” …sorry, I forgot to take the picture until I’d eaten ½, so this photo is missing a few, lol. This were delicious, but too filling to finish…had to leave some room for my entrée!
WPCCALIFORNIAROLL.jpg

Kermie has a hard time passing up calamari on any menu, and WPC was no exception:
“Crispy Calamari: Monterey Bay calamari, marinated English cucumbers with sweet curry aioli.$12.95” This also was a huge serving…like many Disney World restaurant appetizers, it surely could serve 2-3 people. I wonder why they don’t make the servings smaller, or list these as “for 2.”
WPCCRISPYCALAMARI.jpg

Soon it was time for our entrees…Kermie chose from the sandwich menu: “Beef & Gorgonzola Pocket Sandwich: Sliced beef with gorgonzola blue cheese, diced tomatoes, sliced red onion and romaine lettuce with horseradish caesar dressing, served with chips, $12.95” As you can see from the picture, this pocket bread was over-stuffed.. Sorry, I didn’t try it (NOT a fan of gorgonzola, or horseradish) but Kermie loved it, and finished most of the sandwich.
WPCBEEFANDGORGONZOLAPOCKET.jpg

One of my favorite restaurant entrees is Macadamia Nut chicken at the Kona Grill (the national chain, not the place at the Polynesian Resort) so the WPC version sounded very good to me.: “Macadamia Nut Crusted Breast of Chicken: Panko and macadamia nut-crusted boneless breast of chicken, sho-yu cream sauce and garlic mashed potatoes. $25.95.“ This chicken did not disappoint - crispy, crunchy breading on the outside, moist tender chicken inside. Perfect. The garlic mash was very good, but I could take or leave the “sho-you cream sauce”…which basically tasted very much like a plain old cream based white sauce. I would have stirred in some chicken broth & made chicken gravy out of it, lol.
WPCCHILEANSALMON.jpg

Yoda loves seafood, so he went for the "Oven Roasted Salmon: Center cut filet with marinated fennel, roasted fingerling potato frisee and arugula $26.95" This did not disappoint. He ate all the salmon, though he was so full, he skipped most of the veggies.

WPCCALIMARI.jpg

Though we did get desserts, we were actually too full to eat them, so we did get these boxed up to take home…they traveled fine and were a pleasant snack later that day.

Yoda, our resident crème brulee fan, chose the crème brulee cheesecake. He was a bit disappointed by this…he was expecting the cheesecake to taste like crème brulee…but actually, it is just very thin layer of crème brulee on top, which had a very burnt taste to it. He ended up scraping the crème brulee layer off and just eating the cheesecake. The cheesecake was good, but just plain ol’ cheesecake. Here it is:
“Crème Brulee Cheesecake: classic cheesecake topped with Crème Brulee $7.95”
WPCMACADAMIANUTENCRUSTEDCHICKEN.jpg

Kermie & I both chose the “Classic Carrot Cake $7.95” This cake was delicious…loaded with nuts, topped with nuts. The icing was lighter & fluffier than the usual heavy cream cheese frosting, although it was cream cheese flavor it was definitely a whipped variety. We both loved this carrot cake.
WPCCARROTCAKE.jpg

Total bill for our food at WPC, including tax, was $144.25 Though that does include apps & desserts, it’s still a bit pricey for lunch for 3 people! Of course, it was covered on the DxDDP. The food was all very well prepared & beautifully presented…and delicious. Service was excellent; décor was just OK (theme was kind of industrial-café fusion) but the view was wonderful (the lake.) All in all, I’d give WPC a 9 out of 10...though the dishes were very tasty, I have to take away a point due to that over-priced menu - just don't think those prices are justified. If I don't consider the cost, then on the taste/preparation/presentation of the food & the service, it would be a 10. Would we eat here again...well, yes: if we were on the DxDDP, but have to say we probably would not eat here if paying cash…those prices are just silly for lunch.

Sorry H&V was a disappointment. We've done it for dinner twice; we should have stopped after the first time. The food was medicore at best and that is only when there was food and what was there was lukewarm. The service was terrible and the restaurant filthy. It is one of two Disney restaurants we will not return to.

We've not done WPC since it originally opened on the West End...we keep debating it. What do you think?

Sorry H&V was a disappointment. We've done it for dinner twice; we should have stopped after the first time. The food was medicore at best and that is only when there was food and what was there was lukewarm. The service was terrible and the restaurant filthy. It is one of two Disney restaurants we will not return to.

We've not done WPC since it originally opened on the West End...we keep debating it. What do you think?

we really liked the food, just thought it was over-priced...if you can tolerate those prices, I say go for it. Especially during an off time when it's not busy and you can get a table with a view of the lake.

To sum up our May 2010 DxDDP experience...we got to try some new restaurants, as well as a couple we've been to before but for a different meal this time, and one old favorite. The only place we'd give a real NO to was Hollywood & Vine breakfast.:sad2:

Otherwise, we had good food most everywhere. We did spend 11 out of 12 snacks (left one on the card), but didn't take pics & I didn't keep snack receipts. I can say we got some cheapie snacks as well as expensive pastries, so will just figure them as an average cost of $2.65 (including tax) for a total on 11 snacks of $29.15. I did have the actual receipts on the restaurants, so that was $674.10 on the table service (includes tax, but not alcohol or tips.) Also add in the value of the 3 refillable mugs ($41.50)

The totals for the weekend (cash price, including tax but no tips or alcohol) would have been $744.75 for the 3 of us for Friday-Sunday, 18 meals and 11 snacks used by the 3 of us, as well as 3 refillable mugs (which we each used a couple of times a day.) The cost of the DxDDP was $431.94...so we saved $312.81 over the cost of OOP. :thumbsup2 Not too shabby!

Would we have ordered the same food paying cash? Probably...we may have shared two appetizers instead of getting all 3 now & then; or one of us may have skipped a dessert now & then. But with a savings of more than a $100 each, I think we would still come out ahead. We tend to order the more expensive menu items anyway because that's how our tastes run. Our preference of steaks helps us kind of naturally maximize the value of dining plans. If you're eating mostly buffets & counter service, you might not get your $$$ worth on the deluxe plan, but when you do it with no counter service & few buffets, the discount really adds up.

Would we do it again...you bet. I used to be "against" the deluxe plan as being way too much food, but if you space the meals out well it's quite enjoyable. And keeping in mind that you don't have to order everything, or "clean the plate", lol. Especially with. as hot as it was, we really enjoyed all the A/C time in the restaurants. Think next time we do a long weekend with the DxDDP, I'll probably book several 2 TS meals...hopefully in mid November (yay, get to see the Christmas decor:woohoo:)

The sushi at Wolfgang's looks so good. Thank you for the review of H&V as I will make sure to never eat there:lmao:

The sushi at Wolfgang's looks so good. Thank you for the review of H&V as I will make sure to never eat there:lmao:

it was very good...we were really glad it was covered as an appetizer on the dining plan. Seems like some places it's not allowed...I think Cali Grill? might be only available as an entree, not an appetizer?

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pics. Thanks for taking the time to post. :hippie:

We have never tried any of the dining plans, but after seeing your breakdown, I think we may give it a try in the future.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your pics. Thanks for taking the time to post. :hippie:

We have never tried any of the dining plans, but after seeing your breakdown, I think we may give it a try in the future.

Thanks. So far, the dining plans have worked out very well for us, well over the 20% savings mentioned now on the Disney website. But if you do try a dining plan, check out those menus online, and do your math in advance...see if the plan will match up with how & when you want to eat. If you'd be going for salad entrees, no desserts and few table service if'd

And all these rumors about major changes to the dining plans next year...well we might be trying out Tables in Wonderland if they really mess with the plans and make it less of a good deal.

Fabulous report! I love all the detail you took the time to write. Thanks for answering my question about H&V, it help me find your report. We have also succombed to the "dark side" and are doing the DxDP in September. I will be cancelling our H&V ADR. My kids are 2 and 5 and like the characters at H&V, but I need to cancel one of my ADRs and H&V is not standing out among my other ADRs right now.

I've also been debating where to have lunch on our departure day (immediately before driving back to Atlanta). I made an ADR for Kona Cafe, because we are staying at the Poly. But after seeing your pics of Wofgang Puck, I'm wondering if we should drive to DTD and eat there. We love sushi, and your sushi looks so fresh. Did you drive there? Was it hard to find the restaurant and a parking spot? We would be having Sunday lunch (at around 1 pm).

Fabulous report! I love all the detail you took the time to write. Thanks for answering my question about H&V, it help me find your report. We have also succombed to the "dark side" and are doing the DxDP in September. I will be cancelling our H&V ADR. My kids are 2 and 5 and like the characters at H&V, but I need to cancel one of my ADRs and H&V is not standing out among my other ADRs right now.

I've also been debating where to have lunch on our departure day (immediately before driving back to Atlanta). I made an ADR for Kona Cafe, because we are staying at the Poly. But after seeing your pics of Wofgang Puck, I'm wondering if we should drive to DTD and eat there. We love sushi, and your sushi looks so fresh. Did you drive there? Was it hard to find the restaurant and a parking spot? We would be having Sunday lunch (at around 1 pm).

Thanks! Hope you have a great time in September...we were scheduled for bounceback free dining (we went in 9/08 & 9/09) but then son announced wedding on Labor Day weekend so will have to put our Florida trip off until later in the Fall...we're hoping for good AP rates in November.

That's a tough one on your departure day lunch...we really like Kona, but also thoroughly enjoyed WPC...and if you're on the DxDP, WPC is a great deal. The sushi was great. For convenience, Kona would be good...but since you're driving anyway, DTD is just not that far. Parking for WP Cafe was excellent on a Sunday afternoon (that's when we were there) since it's down on the west side - long ways from the stores, which is where most of the traffic/parked cars were in the afternoon. We were there at 1:00 --empty restaurant & fairly empty parking lot at that end. If you want sushi, I'd go for WPC

These are *wonderful* and very detailed reviews !

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post them. :goodvibes

These are *wonderful* and very detailed reviews !

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post them. :goodvibes

I enjoyed sharing the info & pics...Disboards has given us so much good info & tips, just have to give back! Glad you enjoyed my input.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter