Minors allowed at bar?

One of our fondest memories was an extended wait at the bar at Prime Time with my 14YO. The bartenders and servers were engaging and made her feel very special. It surprised us too since we are also from New England and the bar was a distinct no-no at home. We ordered and tipped accordingly of course. I think the bar bill rivaled the dinner bill!

I realize at 18 he is no longer a minor, I meant to say underage. We were recently in Indiana and he was not allowed to be at the bar with us in a restaurant. This got me wondering if this could be the case in other places. It’s not an issue where we live. Thanks for the reply.

In Florida and in WDW, minors are allowed to sit at the bar. You may note the actual experiences are varied. Disney goes by local ordinance. For instance, in California...minors cannot sat at the bar or in a "designated bar area", the law is something ambiguous on that last part (it's a long debated issue), but the Disneyland Resort plays it safe and ouright forbids minors in many hotel bars and bar-adjacent areas, including inside Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel and the now-defunct Cove Bar in California Advneture.

Last edited:
Min
Thinking about stopping at the bar in Homecomin for a drink and appetizers. Would our 18 year old be allowed to sit at the bar with us?
Minors are allowed but they need to pay for their own drinks. Children under 5 can't get a credit card so they need to pay cash. :)

When our kids were younger, we never had an issue taking our kids into a lounge.

My kids sat with my at the bat in Frontera Cocina. There were no tables available and the hostess told me that they could sit at the bar. We had a great time and they were both under 10.

When I lived in the Chicago suburbs, kids weren't allowed in the bar area at all, some restaurants would seat families at the high-top bar tables but never at the bar itself. I could see why a bartender would frown upon a family taking up several seats at the bar = 2 adults, 2 kids, he's loosing two seats to alcohol consuming patrons. (who tip better than kids as well!) Drives me bonkers when kids sit at the bar, doesn't matter where it is.

In Florida and in WDW, minors are allowed to sit at the bar. You may note the actual experiences are varied. Disney goes by local ordinance. For instance, in California...minors cannot sat at the bar or in a "designated bar area", the law is something ambiguous on that last part (it's a long debated issue), but the Disneyland Resort plays it safe and ouright forbids minors in many hotel bars and bar-adjacent areas, including inside Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel and the now-defunct Cove Bar in California Advneture.

This was our experience at LL in DCA last month. We were seated at a table near the bar and our 3 year old was roaming around as she loves to do. She went over to a bar stool and DH was already on his way to get her as she started trying to climb on it, and a CM immediately said to us that she isn’t allowed to sit at the bar.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter