Minimum for direct benefits raising on 10/1

For the new buyer, especially those who may be financing the purchase, that extra 25 points will add very little to the monthly payment...and no, we don’t need to debate whether financing is or is not a good ide!

So, I wonder if Disney figures this or maybe they will lower their rate of interest too..
It’s not about raising the minimum for direct benefits being a game changer to buy in. I don’t think it’s a good move to do so right now while most of direct benefits are unavailable and useless. I bought resale first and I will eventually buy in direct but not right now. The AP discount is beneficial for us but that’s not even available to us along with other benefits. I don’t understand why they would raise the minimum during a time where buying direct is not desirable at all.

It’s not about raising the minimum for direct benefits being a game changer to buy in. I don’t think it’s a good move to do so right now while most of direct benefits are unavailable and useless. I bought resale first and I will eventually buy in direct but not right now. The AP discount is beneficial for us but that’s not even available to us along with other benefits. I don’t understand why they would raise the minimum during a time where buying direct is not desirable at all.

No idea their plan but AP sales are a different division so while they are on hold, it won’t be forever. And remember, the average DVC new buyer who goes direct does not do so for perks. They have little knowledge of the resale market.

We here all do but the people Disney is marketing to are not resale voters looking to add on to get perks but the new buyer going right to Disney.

And when I bought the minimum was 160.. the raise may have more to do with that then for perks. Plus we don’t know if DVC has info already about AP sales starting either.

Honestly, all the changes they have done seem to have had no major impact on their sales over the last 9 years since they began making those changes for resales.

No idea their plan but AP sales are a different division so while they are on hold, it won’t be forever. And remember, the average DVC new buyer who goes direct does not do so for perks. They have little knowledge of the resale market.

We here all do but the people Disney is marketing to are not resale voters looking to add on to get perks but the new buyer going right to Disney.

And when I bought the minimum was 160.. the raise may have more to do with that then for perks. Plus we don’t know if DVC has info already about AP sales starting either.

Honestly, all the changes they have done seem to have had no major impact on their sales over the last 9 years since they began making those changes for resales.
Unpopular opinion but I think the minimum should be even higher again. 160 would solve a lot of availability issues.

Unpopular opinion but I think the minimum should be even higher again. 160 would solve a lot of availability issues.

I mean in reality it wouldn't change much people would just take longer vacations in the cheaper rooms.

There isn't really an availability issue that can be solved unless you restructure point charts where 1br and studio are much closer in point difference.

I mean in reality it wouldn't change much people would just take longer vacations in the cheaper rooms.

There isn't really an availability issue that can be solved unless you restructure point charts where 1br and studio are much closer in point difference.

Smaller contracts lead to more owners for a given resort, it’s simply a math problem.

What's the difference if I got 10 nights in a studio or 2 owners go 5 nights each? The room is still filled.
The availability issues occur because people buy just enough points for a studio, and when they can’t get in they don’t have the option to move to a one bedroom. You have more people attempting to book a finite number of studios. I don’t have any availability issues, but the system does. We can agree to disagree.

The availability issues occur because people buy just enough points for a studio, and when they can’t get in they don’t have the option to move to a one bedroom. You have more people attempting to book a finite number of studios. I don’t have any availability issues, but the system does. We can agree to disagree.

Except 160 points is not a 1BR point amount and people will still go for the studio to start with and plan on longer trips or multiple trips.

To your point about 1BR you need that point requirement to be close enough to studios that people proactively book it.

You are talking more like 200-300 point requirement for the 1 week for a 1br.

As long as studios are substantially cheaper people will gravitate towards them.

Except 160 points is not a 1BR point amount and people will still go for the studio to start with and plan on longer trips or multiple trips.

To your point about 1BR you need that point requirement to be close enough to studios that people proactively book it.

You are talking more like 200-300 point requirement for the 1 week for a 1br.

As long as studios are substantially cheaper people will gravitate towards them.
I guess that all depends on when you travel, what resorts you stay at and if you travel for a full week at a time. Like I said we can agree to disagree.

I guess that all depends on when you travel, what resorts you stay at and if you travel for a full week at a time. Like I said we can agree to disagree.

I mean this isn't new its the same reason the standard rooms at BWV sell out first which have a full week in the fall cost of like 78 points. Oh and minimum back then was 150 points. For BLT it was 160 then 200 points yet the studio standards also disappear first.

In most resorts you can get a studio if you book at 11 months.

So I am not sure what availability you are trying to solve for anyways? If you think 1brs are a good deal compared to studios then stay in them and your problem is solved? You won't impact any but possibly RIV as this point with minimum buy ins but again the delta between 1br to studio is why people will opt for the studio.

Flip side they buy resale smaller contracts if they need shorter stays.

Another change is artificial changes to room capacity. But personally don't think that would go over well and possibly against terms.

Now what I do think is by raising the point requirement for direct benefits you actually can have better benefits in the long run since Disney will have made more profit off those who qualify.

IMO less than 100 points is frustrating - we own smaller contracts and it takes strength of will to hold to the strategy behind the purchase :crazy2:

I think they are greedy with the points charts at RIV. A tower studio is more points that a full studio at other resorts. It’s the most expensive closet you’ll stay in. DVC is going to have to step back and look at things. DVC in California will sell out fast. I think RIV will still be for sale direct for 3 more years. I’d rather stay in a 3 bedroom GV at OKW than a 1 bedroom at RIV.
I was very surprised to find that the tower studio does cost more than the studios in my favorite resorts, most of those with the ‘42 expiration. I was looking at 3 night stays when the tower studios were available.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to what economy they think they're selling into? With Moonlight Magic gone for the foreseeable future, no AP sales being offered because of capacity restrictions, and direct prices climbing higher and higher, it seems like a weird move.

I'm curious as to what economy they think they're selling into? With Moonlight Magic gone for the foreseeable future, no AP sales being offered because of capacity restrictions, and direct prices climbing higher and higher, it seems like a weird move.
Or their strategy could be with so much not available now, they can start making things just for DVC direct buyers. I definitely think this could happen.

Was told today that the minimum for blue card is raising to 125 points on 10/1. I’m sorry but WHAT??!! What are they thinking?? Most direct benefits are absolutely useless right now. You can not even buy an annual pass if you’re a new member. I kindly told my rep “No Thank You” and went back to looking at resale contracts.
Can I ask what guide/rep stated this?

Or their strategy could be with so much not available now, they can start making things just for DVC direct buyers. I definitely think this could happen.

What could they add to make it worth someone's while to pay the premium over resale, especially in the current economic climate? I don't know anyone who isn't counting their pennies right now (except for maybe Jeff Bezos).

The truth is there are a lot of professions that are excelling in this economy. Nurses are getting premium pay with pretty much all the OT they want. The mortgage industry has been exploding over the entire Covid shutdown. So no, everyone is not hurting. Those in the service industries have been absolutely devasted. The point I am making, let us not generalize. This economy effects people in different way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!