Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

This Just In:
My Passholder magnet. It came today. It's on the fridge downstairs. I assume my brother will complain when he sees it.

Also ... the list of places where I shouldn't be allowed to open my mouth (/type) keeps getting longer ... but as per usual, I'm being stubborn about it.

Just checked the weather for tomorrow's race. At a T+D > 150, that's going to be a hellz no to running at anything faster than easy pace.
Also ... I wore Guava Lava today (actually made it outside, but forgot to set an alarm so it was just a short easy run), so that means Zantes tomorrow. Which means NYC skirt & gray shirt.

So that's all my decisions made for me. All that's left is running the race.

I've been hiding because I just haven't even been motivated to participate on the boards, so I just caught up. Loved all your pictures from Epcot. Bummer that Sadness wasn't there. My Inside Out Spirit Emotion is Disgust. I like that you choose which birthday you want to celebrate, regardless of what your brother says. So I hope that yesterday was a good one! :) I'll definitely be tracking you at your race tomorrow! I like that I won't have to wake up super early for this one. Haha. ;)

I've been hiding because I just haven't even been motivated to participate on the boards, so I just caught up. Loved all your pictures from Epcot. Bummer that Sadness wasn't there. My Inside Out Spirit Emotion is Disgust. I like that you choose which birthday you want to celebrate, regardless of what your brother says. So I hope that yesterday was a good one! :) I'll definitely be tracking you at your race tomorrow! I like that I won't have to wake up super early for this one. Haha. ;)

I love that your spirit emotion is Disgust. Very understandable.
I'm not big on birthdays, so being able to pick the one that I can do low-key works for me. I had a nice low-key day yesterday and it was nice.
Yeah, I figured you'd like the timing on this race. It's nice to be running a race when the rest of the world isn't still sleeping. Although the weather is a drop less brutal for the super early races :).

It's a little after 5. I haven't had any chocolate from my desk today (I'm also not at my desk today, but it's easy to go over there and grab some). Planning on leaving at 5:45-6ish. I'm out of snacks.
Do we think I can hold out?
(Per MFP, I have plenty of room for chocolate (although I think it gives me too many calories from exercise), but it's the principle of the thing - can I hold out for a day? I've been really bad about the chocolate lately)

And ... they're monitoring weather for tomorrow's race. I'm guessing because we're in a rainy period right now, but it also might be the heat. IIRC, if they cancel the race I still get the 9+1 credit, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Still, would rather have the race. It's the night before and I'm coming up with all sorts of ideas (like new playlists and other assorted craziness).

Also - no chocolate at work! Yay! (Had a big dinner, but I had room for it.)

Expect the next trip recap within the next few hours - it's in progress.

Also ... sorry about the extra chattiness.

And ... they're monitoring weather for tomorrow's race. I'm guessing because we're in a rainy period right now, but it also might be the heat. IIRC, if they cancel the race I still get the 9+1 credit, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Still, would rather have the race. It's the night before and I'm coming up with all sorts of ideas (like new playlists and other assorted craziness).

Also - no chocolate at work! Yay! (Had a big dinner, but I had room for it.)

Expect the next trip recap within the next few hours - it's in progress.

Also ... sorry about the extra chattiness.

Send rain here, plz.

Just packed my race stuff.
Things I did not almost forget: pants.
Things I did almost forget: socks, shoes (running this thing in my chucks would have been interesting...), belt.

Also ... I took the belt without the bib toggles because I didn't want to have to take my phone out of its case. So I have to remember to grab safety pins when I pick up my bib.

Last edited:
WDW July 2018 Recap: Day 5, Thursday July 5th - Hollywood Studios (& Epcot & Magic Kingdom & Animal Kingdom)

Back to Hollywood Studios! A little background before we go into the day: originally this was planned as a full day at DHS. We didn’t know if we were going to do EMH on Monday, and we figured lines would be longer, so we wanted a full day there later in the week. However, we got a lot done on Monday and realized that we wouldn’t need a full day, so we decided to take a mid-day break to go to Disney Springs, then back to the hotel to chill for a little bit. After a less-than-stellar experience at Disney Springs on Wednesday, Beth speculated that we might be better off going back to MK and doing our shopping there (mostly at the Emporium), so we decided that we’d do Thursday morning at DHS, lunch and shopping at MK, back to the hotel for a break, and then back to DHS for the late afternoon/evening/night.
Okay, back to the story.

We got up stupid early again and were headed to the bus stop around 5:45ish … and we saw a bus pulling away as we were approaching the stop. Grr.
But then … another bus came (or possibly the same bus circling around waiting for people), so we got on. And had a bus all to ourselves.

While on the way to DHS we heard our first bus driver rumor of the trip – the bus driver told us that they’d be opening DHS half an hour early. We got to DHS around 6ish and we were first (and second) in line at our tapstile – but we still had to wait until 6:15ish to be let into the park. So … no signs of early opening. I grabbed a spot to wait while Beth went to Trolley Car Café to grab us some coffee.
Beth returned with coffee, and a few minutes later, at approximately 6:23am, CMs started walking us back to Toy Story Land. I guess the bus driver was right. Score!

To skip the boring parts … I was freaking out and I couldn’t figure out why, all while trying to drink all of my coffee very fast. I ended up finishing my coffee before we hit TSL, and Beth finished hers during our 5 minute wait for Slinky Dog Dash. And by 5 minute wait, I mean that’s how long it took us to get through the queue and on to our Slinky Dog. We got off and the CM at the exit/entrance was saying that we could go through again … so we did. That time we waited about 7 minutes. But … we rode Slinky Dog Dash twice before 6:45am. After our second Slinky Dog, we made our way over to Alien Swirling Saucers, where not only did we not have to wait, but they were just opening up one of the sides, so we got to be in the first group on one side – we had to unbuckle the seatbelt! Next up was Toy Story Mania!, which we got off of around 7:02am. So we basically got all three attractions done almost before the park was supposed to open. Wow.

29773820088_a03538be14_c.jpg

43643226821_085a024df3_c.jpg

(Fun Fact: This picture of us and Slinky Dog's Butt is the background on my watch face)

We weren’t quite done with Toy Story Land yet – before exiting the land for the morning, we stopped by to meet our favorite Space Ranger, Buzz Lightyear, and some Western pals, Woody and Jessie. And then we left Toy Story Land. Still during EMH.

29773826508_99330e1ffa_c.jpg

29773823258_d1cb7f08e5_c.jpg

41836058240_16e95fe8f7_c.jpg

After stopping for a few pictures around the park, we continued the character theme of the morning with a few more meet and greets … Mickey and Minnie Starring in Red Carpet Dreams, Celebrity Spotlight (Olaf), and Chewbacca @ Star Wars Launch Bay.

41836058490_6329dab81a_c.jpg

29773824388_bc6cfea49b_c.jpg

41836058760_85762c5e93_c.jpg

29773824918_19866b873e_c.jpg

41836059190_87341d827e_c.jpg

29773825188_6775f632a3_c.jpg

Originally we had FP+ for late morning/early afternoon (plus a late afternoon Alien Swirling Saucers), but since we had gotten so much done, we wanted to try to move them earlier and maybe see if we had time to hop over to Epcot and hit up Spaceship Earth and Test Track before lunch. By this point in time the park was open to day guests, so next on our agenda was the first showing of For the First Time in Forever: A Frozen Sing-Along (I took a picture to send @jennamfeo, because she hates Frozen and I’m mean, but I didn’t send it until much later because of time difference), followed by a trip on Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster.

41836059580_5b69bed122_c.jpg

41836055000_69e4b4e755_c.jpg

(No idea why I look so terrified in this picture ... I actually like RNRC)

We knew we’d be back later in the day for our Aliens FP+ and Fantasmic!, so we decided to leave the park and take a boat over to …

29774037238_33850d328a_c.jpg

By 11:15ish we were entering our second park of the day. We wanted to meet Sadness, so we checked on the line, but it was longer than we were willing to wait in. Beth wanted soda, so we took a trip over to Club Cool, where she had a little bit of Fanta Melon something or another. It tasted very melon-y (I had a sip too). Next up was another Epcot icon, Spaceship Earth, which had a very long line, but we survived. We made our way to Test Track, which also had a very long wait, but single rider was manageable, so we did that (of course, there was a tour group right in front of us in the single rider line, but they were only medium annoying and we survived).

29773819528_5cb2f2fc59_c.jpg

We took some giant golf ball pictures (see above) before exiting the park and taking the monorail (to the TTC and then) to …

29773825568_23b90a88f1_c.jpg

For those of you keeping track … that was our third mode of transportation for the day (bus from hotel to DHS, boat from DHS to Epcot, monorail from Epcot to MK).

Anyway, Magic Kingdom. We were hungry, so our first stop was Plaza Ice Cream Parlor for ice cream lunch. There was some discussion of the Mickey's Kitchen Sink Sundae, but I wasn’t sure if we could have all the toppings. And that was probably too much for us anyway. We ended up getting double scoops (in cups/bowls) – Mint Chocolate Chip for Beth, and Cookies and Cream for me. When I got to the bottom of my bowl, there was some Mint Chocolate Chip there, which meant that they don’t clean the scoopers between scoops. I can’t really eat mint (it has to do with the smell), but it’s not an allergy, so I was okay. If I actually had a mint allergy … that would have been a huge problem. If it hadn’t been so crowded in there, I would have gone back in to complain. This is really not okay. But whatever.

Once we had eaten, it was time to shop. First step was Uptown Jewelers, where I dropped all of my spending money to pick up these:

29773826118_b2d69cef62_c.jpg

That’s the newest Fantasyland set. There are two spacers – a Peter Pan and an “I live in Fantasyland”, and an it’s a small world bead. I love it, but it made my bracelet kind of uneven (because I had three other beads, and I put these in the middle, so now I have two beads next to one spacer and one bead next to the other). Also, they make a lot of noise. But I love them. Especially the IASW one.

Next stop was the Emporium, where we planned to do most of our shopping. Except their selection sucked. We walked out with a 2018 pin for Beth and nothing else (and the CM gave us a hard time about me having to pay for things to get the AP discount – dude, we’re paying cash, and just because Beth’s holding the pin doesn’t mean I’m not the one paying for it).

Our shopping experience wasn’t the best, but we made up for it by seeing a character we had missed on our two previous MK days – we went to Meet Tinkerbell at Town Square Theater! She was very chatty. Beth is a winter fairy. I’m not a winter fairy, which makes me a summer fairy (actually, I’m more of a fall fairy, but Tink didn’t really let me express that). So that was our new MK thing of the day.

41836060130_210151f635_c.jpg

We were in need of a break and it was starting to get rainy, so we went to grab a bus back to the hotel. A guy in a Pats hat let us go in front of him (we were coming from different directions), and then he saw my Yankees hat and instantly regretted it (we ended up having a nice conversation with him while waiting for the bus).

We got back to the hotel and did some quick souvenir shopping (picking up a keychain for me, a magnet for my parents, and a picture frame magnet for my aunt and uncle) before heading back to the room to chillax for about an hour.

Eventually it was time to head back to the park for our last FP+ of the day, another ride on Alien Swirling Saucers.

28755849777_b93a872c6e_c.jpg

42740173945_026325c45a_c.jpg

We wanted to ride Slinky Dog again, but the line was long, so we decided to just head to the parking lot. We hadn't run in Florida in a few years, so we decided to run to a bus stop, hop on a bus, and eventually we were at …

29773823458_070742a527_c.jpg

(Yes, Beth is wearing a different shirt. It's a long story.)

So … explanation. Once we decided to head to Epcot, we realized that we would be hitting 3 of the 4 parks on that day. That’s pretty close to hitting all four parks … what if we went to Animal Kingdom too? We knew it would be tough, but the plan was to head to AK after Fantasmic! But then we ended up at DHS with almost 2 hours before Fantasmic! (and a FP+), so we figure we’d just hit up Animal Kingdom and get some Tree of Life pictures.

We got there faster than we thought we would, so we had some time. There really isn’t anything to do close to the entrance (and we didn’t want to wander far), and even It’s Tough to Be a Bug (which I hate) had a line, so we didn’t think we had time for an attraction, and we just ended up wandering a bit … and saw something we hadn’t seen on Monday – a Cotton-Top Tamarin. And so, we got our Tree of Life pictures, we experienced something we hadn’t experienced yet this trip … and it was time to head back to Hollywood Studios.

We had officially completed Four Parks, Three Modes of Transportation, Two Mice … One Awesome Day. (The two mice are because we saw Mickey & Minnie early in the day … we were really reaching for the two there.)
A four-park day was not something that was at all on our radar, and it’s kinda crazy that it happened. We couldn’t believe it. But this whole trip was a little crazy … and it was really cool to be able to do this on what might be Beth’s last trip for a while (because school).

Four Parks:
29773819888_c9ef3328e1_c.jpg

Three Modes of Transportation:

41836055360_9f580b4cee_c.jpg

With our crazy adventure complete, all that was left for the day was Fantasmic! and maybe some nighttime Toy Story Land. We made our way back to DHS and stopped in to deal with some PhotoPass issues (only one of which was resolved, but it mostly worked out okay in the end). By the time we were done there it was raining. Again. We put on our ponchos, tried to wait it out a bit, and eventually made our way to Fantasmic! We sat down in the wet, open theater and just were annoyed. We were done with the rain. We were tired. We just wanted to see Fantasmic!. Ugh.

The show did end up starting about 15 minutes late, but I didn’t take many pictures because I just wasn’t feeling it. The show was as cute as always (although there were some things that we couldn’t tell if they were new or if we just didn’t remember them because it had been so long). The show ended around 9:45ish, and we left because the park was closed. It closed at 9.

You may see some websites and/or times guides that say the park closed at 10:30. They’re wrong. The park closed at 9.

(We were tired, and while we wanted to see TSL at night, the rain had taken a lot out of us and we just needed to get back to the hotel. But since we have to stay in the park until after it closes, we decided that the park closed at 9. And I won’t let anyone convince me otherwise.)

We got back to the hotel, had some food, and packed our bags … since it was our last night at Disney and we were leaving early the next morning :sad:.

Beth looks like she is sleeping on RnRc. :rotfl2:

4 parks in one day seems like a great time! I believe it or not have never done it. I have done 3 parks + Disney Springs in 1 day but never 4 parks.

After the 2017 Dark Side Half, I wound up inadvertently pulling off the 4 parks in one day. Thing is, I didn't realize I had done it until I got to the Magic Kingdom. I went to Hollywood Studios in the morning, hopped to Epcot for about an hour and then headed to Animal Kingdom. After Rivers of Light, I went over to Magic Kingdom I think for the Tangled lantern photo op and while in the MK I realized that I had visited all 4 parks. You know this really should motivate me to get around to posting photos from my trips.

Beth looks like she is sleeping on RnRc. :rotfl2:

Sleeping, terrified ... same thing. :rotfl:

4 parks in one day seems like a great time! I believe it or not have never done it. I have done 3 parks + Disney Springs in 1 day but never 4 parks.

If you can do 3 parks + DS, then you can do 4 parks. That should be your goal for your Wine & Dine trip :)

After the 2017 Dark Side Half, I wound up inadvertently pulling off the 4 parks in one day. Thing is, I didn't realize I had done it until I got to the Magic Kingdom. I went to Hollywood Studios in the morning, hopped to Epcot for about an hour and then headed to Animal Kingdom. After Rivers of Light, I went over to Magic Kingdom I think for the Tangled lantern photo op and while in the MK I realized that I had visited all 4 parks. You know this really should motivate me to get around to posting photos from my trips.

Accidental 4 parks. I love it. (Our first three were unintentional, but #4 was done for the purposes of 4 parks)
And yes, you should post pictures.

Race Update:
Bib # is 5984
Tracking Link: https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NYRR-RUN5K-2018#/tracker

Apparently 5984-1 is the LEGO Lunar Limo, so ... I'm gonna be running this one in style. Here's a picture of my ride:
5984-1.jpg

The rain/thunderstorms seems to be out of the forecast. But it is humid as hell out there. Walking from the subway to NYRR (and back) was brutal. Dying. This race is gonna be super fun. I may bring my 32oz water bottle since I don't have my little one. Not sure yet.

Also ... I finally finally finally signed up for Spotify Premium this morning. So I can use a Spotify playlist for the race if I want. I just have to decide if I want to make a new playlist or use one I already have.

Also ... I finally finally finally signed up for Spotify Premium this morning. So I can use a Spotify playlist for the race if I want. I just have to decide if I want to make a new playlist or use one I already have.

Spotify Premium is probably the best, most worth-it monthly subscription that I have. Also make sure you "download" your favorites so it takes up less battery and data when you use it.

I got my tracker up and waiting for 4pm my time. Be safe out there in that humidity. Ugh!

Yay!
I went out for some fresh air earlier and it seemed a little less humid, so I'm hoping it stays that way for the race. We'll see. Either way ... not going for any PRs in this weather.

Spotify Premium is probably the best, most worth-it monthly subscription that I have. Also make sure you "download" your favorites so it takes up less battery and data when you use it.

I've got two playlists already downloaded!
I had a free 3-month subscription when I was in school (some Starbucks thing), but when the free expired I cancelled because I didn't want to be spending that money when I wasn't working. I meant to renew it when I started working, because I loved having Premium (not just the downloads ... I have no patience for the same Verizon commercial over and over again), but didn't get around to it until now (hey, I've only been at this job for like 5 months...)

Also, guys ... #deletemyaccount. I'm the actual worst this week (and always, but mostly this week).
Also ... no more after work races for me. I'm grouchy (although that's not entirely my fault - I'm not the one who broke the thing I'm supposed to be working on), my knee hurts (even though I have the standing desk and I've been standing on and off), I'm not drinking enough water (although I have peed like 5 times in the last hour), I'm tired, and I'm actually weirdly nervous about changing in the office bathroom (that's the really weird part). Ugh.
Hopefully all this nerves/grouchy/whatever will go away by race time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter