Mickey light post directions

I am using ceiling fan lamp bases for my new lamp. They are stamped metal bases, with a candelabra lamp socket, and three set screws to attach to the lipped neck of the smaller globes. I put the base inside the large globe, stick the globe neck through the hole and then secure with the set screws. Tightening the screws is far from easy, but once secured it's a nice, clean look, and the whole head is brightly lit. No sloppy glue at the intersection and easily disassembled are major benefits of this design. I'll post pics soon.

ShantaClausSm.png

I use Christmas lights to illuminate the ears.

I cut a length containing two sockets from a regular string of exterior lights (C9 sockets) then attach a plug and rivet a metal strap to each of the sockets. Bend the ends of the metal straps so they provide a snug friction fit on the flange of the 6" globes (the flange is inside the 12" globe). They slide off and on easily if you need to replace the bulbs. The Christmas lights plug into the base for the bulb (the white base in the picture) which illuminates the 12" globe. All the wires are hidden inside the 12" globe.

EarLights1.jpg

Here's a closeup which shows more detail of the rivet and the strap.

EarLights2.jpg

It's easy, it's dirt cheap and it's convenient.

Has anyone tried this concept but with globe-shaped vanity light bulbs for Mickey ears? Drill two holes in the head globe just big enough for the end of the bulbs to fit through, then screw them into the sockets which are positioned on the inside. Don't know if this would be do-able... just a thought.:confused3

Hi everyone, thanks for all the support and info. Our trip is planned for next October but we camp all summer so I want to build one for our summer camping and one for the Fort for our travel trailer. Does anyone know about how long it takes to make this? Lil' Lisa & My3Princess do you lady's have pictures of your completed lamps? I can't wait to get started. My mom will be here from Maine in November and her & I will be starting our journey on making our Lamp post. Retired and Happy, cutting the holes is the scary part for me. Was it hard? Larry J, thank you for posting all the detailed pics. Thanks again to you all :tinker:

Cutting the holes is easy. Anyone can do it with ease!

You drill a 1/4" hole where the centre of the larger hole will be, then attach a 3 1/4" hole saw to your electric drill and start drilling in the 1/4" hole you made earlier. The drill does all the work and gives you a perfect 3 1/4" circle, just the right size for the flange on a 6" globe.

The hole saw is the orange piece in this picture.

EarLights3.jpg

You should be able to find one in any Home Depot or Lowes for under $20.00

CDRJJMA@Disney - when you have enough posts simply PM me your e-mail address and I'll send you my detailed instructions. This will all make sense once you read them

Hi everyone, thanks for all the support and info. Our trip is planned for next October but we camp all summer so I want to build one for our summer camping and one for the Fort for our travel trailer. Does anyone know about how long it takes to make this? Lil' Lisa & My3Princess do you lady's have pictures of your completed lamps? I can't wait to get started. My mom will be here from Maine in November and her & I will be starting our journey on making our Lamp post. Retired and Happy, cutting the holes is the scary part for me. Was it hard? Larry J, thank you for posting all the detailed pics. Thanks again to you all :tinker:

I used a dremel tool to cut the holes in the head. I took the fitting I had made to mount the ears in and put masking tape on the head and marked it with pencil. I then cut out within like 1/4 of the line with a toothed cutoff wheel and then used one the the drum sanding disks to carefully enlarge the hole where my fitting just fit snugly in the hole. I couldn't use a hole saw since the PVC fitting I made to hold the ears on had a wierd outside diameter so I had to custom fit the fitting onto the head.

I would caution folks like the suggestion to use screw in globes for the head that you don't want water to get to the socket or any electrical connections that haven't been waterproofed and create a shock and/or fire hazard.

Larry

These are mine

After drooling over the lights in this thread I have finally tried my hand at making them. I made 2 Mickey's and a Minnie. My DM will get one of the Mickey Lamp posts for Christmas as we saw so many at FW in August and she loved them as much as me. The other Mickey and the Minnie will travel with us in our camper, but also look terrific on our new Deck.

Here are is a daytime photo.

Nicks12thBirthday048.jpg

I'll try to take a night time photo tonight and post it for you.

Thanks for all the inspiration. I am so happy.

Thanks My3princess for the pics! I can't wait to see them at night time. I showed them to my hubby and my son says that he doesn't think that daddy should let mom use the saw!! But I know I can do it! Thanks again for the pics! I can't wait to start my MLP project!

Thanks My3princess for the pics! I can't wait to see them at night time. I showed them to my hubby and my son says that he doesn't think that daddy should let mom use the saw!! But I know I can do it! Thanks again for the pics! I can't wait to start my MLP project!

Here are the night time pics of X-mas mickey and Halloween mickey. I might try a green bulb vice the white over X-mas in the X-mas mickey, but the head is now stowed away in the TT for our upcoming X-mas trip so that will have to wait. 'The colors are great and the X-mas red looks a little washed out in the pic, but is brillant in real life.

X-mas mickey with a white head ...

2930699780035848260S600x600Q85.jpg

Halloween mickey on our home outside MLP ...

2730270690035848260S600x600Q85.jpg

Larry

Nice photos you guys. I love them! My3princess what did you use to make Minnies bow? They are cool!

Minnies bow is a red robe light held together with zip ties and wired through the globe along with the internal socket. Then I hot glue fabric to the rope lights to create the full bow effect. The hardest part was figuring out where I could cut the rope lights without breaking a circut.

Would love to get a copy of CDNcruiser's direction but my post count is too low. This looks like a great idea. Gonna make some posts and I will send my PM!

I recently heard from kaguilbeau who is following my instructions to make a Mickey lamp.

She has found the two "hard to find" parts at Home Depot's online store. They really are hard to find, so if you're looking for parts to make a lamp I suggest you order them online.

Here's the link for the 12" globe:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...1&ddkey=Search

And here's the link for the globe fitter:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

This should help those of you anxious to build a lamp.

Once again, if you would like a copy of my detailed instructions simply send me a PM including your e-mail address.

My lamp has illuminated ears and a stable "tip proof" base. It looks like this:

FinishedMickeyLamp.jpg

I need to construct one of these. Right now we have a large blue rope light Mickey head but it is showing it's age. Maybe if I build one I can get DW to let us make a trip to test the light out!

Hi Daddyphat808,
CNDCruiser has been helping me with the directions for these. I can wait to make one. Good luck! Happy Camping.

I recently heard from kaguilbeau who is following my instructions to make a Mickey lamp.

She has found the two "hard to find" parts at Home Depot's online store. They really are hard to find, so if you're looking for parts to make a lamp I suggest you order them online.

Here's the link for the 12" globe:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...1&ddkey=Search

And here's the link for the globe fitter:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

This should help those of you anxious to build a lamp.

Once again, if you would like a copy of my detailed instructions simply send me a PM including your e-mail address.

My lamp has illuminated ears and a stable "tip proof" base. It looks like this:

FinishedMickeyLamp.jpg

Links don't work :( What section of the website did you find them under? Lighting?

Found em by ttyping 12" globe into the search. In store sku #'s for anyone interested:

Newport Coastal 12 In. Opal Acrylic Globe: 312840
Newport Coastal 6 In. Opal Globe with Neck: 312884
Newport Coastal Black 2 In. Post Top Globe Fitter: 347376
Newport Coastal White Post Top Globe Fitter: 348480

Interestingly enough none of these are in stock anywhere near me (6 Home Depots in my area lol)

On the Home Depot site, search for Product number 100671529 (globe fitter) and 100671507 (12" globe) and 100671525 (6" globe)

That should get everyone started!

Awesome! They have globe fitters online! Yahoo! (I endured a major trial trying to do an inter-store order this spring!).

ShantaClausSm.png

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter