Mickey light post directions

Bump !!

I've sent out a half-dozen sets of detailed instructions for Mickey Lamp Posts in the last few days.

If you would like a set simply PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send them along!

Gary

I just wanted to let folks know that if you are looking for lipped 6" acrylic globes I found that ACE Hardware carries a porch lamp with the right globe for about the same price as HD sells the globe alone, about $7.50. Still no good source for 12" globes (in my area, at least). I have bought some on Amazon, and over the phone with a FL HD (huge pain), but both were pricey. If anyone finds a good source, please post it!

:santa:

I'm sure you've already posted this, but what size globes did you use and how did you put yours together? I think it looks great!! AND where did you get that way cool light?!?!

My deepest apologies. I totally didn't reply to your query. Not sure how I missed it but I did. I used a 12" for the head and 8" for the ears. I used the dimple at the top of the globe and measured equal lengths on both sides (I think 3") using the line from the mold. I traced 4" holes (the top of the hole being at the 3" mark), cut them out using a hole saw then expanded as necessary with a Dremel until I could get the lip of the small globe in the hole. I used hot glue inside and out to secure the ears. The color changing LED light I found at C. Crane. I've added a string of LED Xmas lights to the post. The lights are the same colors that the LED light produces.

MickeyLampLarge.jpg

I just wanted to let folks know that if you are looking for lipped 6" acrylic globes I found that ACE Hardware carries a porch lamp with the right globe for about the same price as HD sells the globe alone, about $7.50. Still no good source for 12" globes (in my area, at least). I have bought some on Amazon, and over the phone with a FL HD (huge pain), but both were pricey. If anyone finds a good source, please post it!

Shan...Ive had the same problem here in my area...just cant find a big enough globe for the head to bother putting one together so far. I guess I have to break down and buy one off of the web if I ever plan ont making one!

Ive seen several different versions of instructions for making them as well....but i have to say that John...RvUsa's are the simplest and most detailed.

Shan...Ive had the same problem here in my area...just cant find a big enough globe for the head to bother putting one together so far. I guess I have to break down and buy one off of the web if I ever plan ont making one!

Ive seen several different versions of instructions for making them as well....but i have to say that John...RvUsa's are the simplest and most detailed.

The only place I've found that consistently has all the parts you need is the Home Depot at 7423 Southland Blvd., Orlando (near the Florida Mall) I've never been disappointed there!

Your best bet is to pick up all your materials while you are at the park!

I agree, Gary. I wish I had made more of an effort to visit that Home Depot while in FL. I did ultimately get them to ship me two 12" globes and two globe fitters, I just had to pay the $15-18 UPS shipping. I was very grateful, but it was hardly a simple matter. Buying while local is a far simpler matter.

With all due respect to John and others who have invested the time and effort to create instructions on building Mickey Lamps, I found Gary's (CDNCruiser) instructions to be exceptional. I'd get a copy of both before choosing which parts to take from which. I do use John's fernco clamp idea.

I am definitely talking my DH to make me one for our next fort visit now i just need to up my posts so i am able to send a PM and get instruction :)

I'd love a Mickey lamppost. Love, love, love. Love, not like... love.

So you get it, right? Here's my question, however: I drive what you'd probably refer to as a... umm... compact car (read Ford Focus hatchback here). No trailer-towing for me, either (should I ever find one tiny enough, though- and NO, a Radio Flyer wouldn't work, although I did think of that :laughing: - I'd buy it in a heartbeat). Which means, of course, that I'd need a much smaller than average Mickey posty-thing. What do you think about a 6" head and 4" ears (do they even make globes that small?)? And, say, a 3' pole instead of a big ol' giant one? I have an old Christmas tree stand like someone else used that I would put to use, too.

So, what do you think?

Rose, taking a break from all the packing and sorting.

They don't make globes that small, but you might be able to get some large vanity lights that would be in the right proportion.

They don't make globes that small, but you might be able to get some large vanity lights that would be in the right proportion.

Shan, you never ever cease to amaze me. That's really quite a brilliant idea. Vanity lights... who would've thought?

Not me, obviously. :laughing:

Thanks a bunch, Pumpkin-Shan! :hug:

Smooooooch,
Rose, still packing

PS- who's the doggy next to Pluto in the camper pic?

Here is our lamp. DH did two. We used 8" and 6" globes. Found plastic lamp post on sale after Xmas at Dollar General and decided they would be perfect. They come apart into three pieces and are lightweight - except for the bags of sand (or whatever) in the bottom to weight it down. We just threw away the top part and the decorations, improvised a little and wha-la.

IMG_3486.JPG

We could not find the globes anywhere near home. I found them online at 1000bulbs.com, then click on plastic diffusers. Hope this helps.

We could not find the globes anywhere near home. I found them online at 1000bulbs.com, then click on plastic diffusers. Hope this helps.

Yes, they look like the right ones.

If you are using my instructions you need 2 of the 6" globes (6 in. White Acrylic Globe - 3.25 in. Extruded Neck Opening, Manufacturer: American, Made Plastics Co., Manufacturer's Part #: 3201-50650) and 1 of the 12" globes (12 in. White Acrylic Globe - with 5.25 in. Neckless Opening, Manufacturer: American Made Plastics Co.. Manufacturer's Part #: 3201-12020-003

Has anyone found another source for the Globe Fitter pictured below??

MickeyLamp003.jpg
]​

I was told that Summit Lighting (and their parent that I've forgotten the name of) have gone out of business. Good luck finding more.

ShantaClausSm.png

We've got all of our parts together, so tomorrow the project of the day is to assemble the mickey light. Not really sure what to use to cut the holes in the head, think we're going to try a Dremel. 6 more weeks until we're at the fort, WHOHOOO :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter