Mickey light post directions

We've got all of our parts together, so tomorrow the project of the day is to assemble the mickey light. Not really sure what to use to cut the holes in the head, think we're going to try a Dremel. 6 more weeks until we're at the fort, WHOHOOO :cool1:

We used a Roto-Zip to cut our globes and it worked well.

I'll post this again as it did not elicit any response a while back. Does anyone know where I can buy the cross piece that some people have in their poles for hanging signs or family names? I can't seem to find anything anywhere.

We found it at Lowe's, next to the lampposts.

I found everything on Home Depot web site. Its under Outdoor Lighting- Post Lamps- on the last two pages with shipping globes and fixture is about $65 and came in two days

Here is a link to my page on making these, http://www.rvusa.org/rv'ing_tips_and_guides.htm I did it a long time ago, and if you look way back at the beginning of this thread you will see my first attempts. I have made quite a few since and modified the base, I am making another one tonight and will take more pictures.

I just bought all the parts at home depot to make my new one, and they stock EVERYTHING in store here.

Hey Gary, what do you use for a post... is it the real lamp post? I just ask because $30 for a post seems pricey when I'm used to using 3" PVC... but it doesn't fit in the fitter base.

ShantaClausSm.png

Hi everyone! This is my first post. I found this board yesturday in my search of the Mickey Lamp Post. My family has been to Fort Wilderness a few times and everytime I see these lamp post I'm afraid to ask if they are homemade or bought. So I set out to search for them yesterday on the web and found this site. After reading some of the instructions it has me a little scared. So I was wondering is this hard to make? I want to try this without the help of the hubby! Am I crazy or should I ask for help? Thanks for any info that you send my way!:tinker:

Shan-man, I use a piece of 2" ABS drain pipe for the post. I attach it to the globe fitter using one of the connectors which you normally use to join pieces of ABS pipe. Simply remove the three retaining bolts from the globe fitter, insert the ABS connector where post is supposed to go (it's a very loose fit) and then use 3 1" screws to secure the ABS connector. Adjust the screws to centre the connector. The screws firm it right up and give you a very secure fit, but it breaks down easily to store in your camper. (Don't glue the joint)

I use a standard patio umbrella base (about $20.00 at Walmart) as a base. Use a chisel or hacksaw to remove the hex nut on the post and the ABS pipe slides right over the post. Drill a couple of holes and secure it with bolts and wing-nuts. Mine has never blown over.

CDRJJMA@Disney - if you send me a PM with your e-mail address I'd be happy to send you a copy of my instructions on how to make a Mickey Lamp. The most complicated tool you will need is a 3 1/4" hole saw.

Ahhhh! Change out the screws for one-inch-ers! What a great idea!

ShantaClausSm.png

Hi CNDcruiser thanks for the info but I can't PM you until I have more post. As soon as I have enough post I will PM you!:tinker:

I completed my MLP today and I posted what I did in a separate thread on the Community Board since a MLP is not really about Camping at FW. You can see that thread HERE and I have an album detailing the specifics HERE.

I'm pleased with the way mine came out, but was not really a cheap way to go when it was all said and done ... about $125, but $15 of that is in just the three CFL light bulbs I used.

Larry

CDRJJMA@Disney - I too have been trying to figure out how to make a lamp post for our trip to Fort Wilderness NEXT Christmas - everytime I mention it to my DH, he replies "..your talking about something a year from now?" So on my own, I've read just about every posting, been to Home Depot several times looking for ideas for my MLP. I even bought an old outdoor plastic Christmas decoration from a junk store last week for $6 to practice on..or if I can get it to work out, it might be very different from the other MLP's talked about - Remember the old outdoor Christmas candle sticks?? Think of something like that..

In the mean time, I've gotten to like the lamp post at Dollar General that someone else used - plastic, portable, with a stand and already wired. A few modifications (over the next year) and I'll have what I want.

My major problem with the entire planning? If to purchase full price or wait and see if I can find one on sale after Christmas. $28 now, or $14 on sale later. Globes will run about another $30 and then there's bulbs.

Just thought I'd give my 2cents worth, talk about a woman's point of view without the help of her husband to make a MLP and get my 1st post in on the journey to earning my 'Ears'.

My DH didn't help with ours either. I made Mickey and Minnie without any help. It wasn't bad at all.

I'm a husband who built ours. The hardest part was cutting the small holes in the big globe. And DW did not like the Wal Mart green party bulb I put in it, so I don't know what color it will be this year. I bought an extra set of acryllic globes assuming I would break something, but all went well, so now I have to build another so as to not waste the extra globes. I also used black plastic pipe so I didn't have to paint it, and the extra 5 feet of 4" pipe will also not go to waste. When I found them I bought extra cross arms to hang our DisBoards Member sign on. From what I hear, the cross arms are not readily available. My Home Depot had them on close-out.

Just wondering,

Has anyone tried to make a smaller version of one of these? My kids expressed (repeatadly) interest in having one for thier rooms. Like a desk lamp.

I havent looked around yet, so I thought Id ask here.

So, would it be possible and has anyone else done one so small?

I would think you could rig one up using CFL vanity lamps (less heat) and a 6"-8" globe. If you make one be sure to post your results... I'm sure a lot of folks would like one!

ShantaClausSm.png

Hmmm, never thought about using vanity lights for the ears and then an acrylic globe for the head. That just might work and produce more light.

Maybe a 3 way switch so the "ears" could be turned off and leave the head on......its starting to form in my head. I may have to goto Home Depot next week and see what they have.

I have a Fort trip this weekend for Halloween and my Mickey Light Post will adorned with a gohstly sheet and an orange light. If anyone is there look for us.

I dropped in the Home Depot at 7423 Southland, Orlando today (Near the Florida Mall) and they have plenty of 12" globes, 6" globes and the globe fitters in both black and white.

The new stock of globe fitters are now branded under the "Coastal" name, but it's the identical product. So look for the Coastal line of products from Newport.

Hmmm, never thought about using vanity lights for the ears and then an acrylic globe for the head. That just might work and produce more light.

Maybe a 3 way switch so the "ears" could be turned off and leave the head on......its starting to form in my head. I may have to goto Home Depot next week and see what they have.

I have a Fort trip this weekend for Halloween and my Mickey Light Post will adorned with a gohstly sheet and an orange light. If anyone is there look for us.

The two MLP heads I have made so far have used the 13W ultra compact CFL lights in the 8" ears for my X-mas and Halloween MLPs and the top of those ears do get quite warm. I was really surprised just how hot these bulbs get. You can get 7W and 9W tear drop shaped bulbs. I'm not sure for inside I would use anything smaller than an 8" globe for the head and the vanity CFLs or even regular round incandesant vanity lights sounds like a great idea. For mounting if you can find some of the ceramic screw together sockets in candalabra size might fit the bill if you can easily get the right sized ear bulbs with a candalabra base.

Larry

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter