Merchandise Quality

Grumpy1977

Earning My Ears
I was in Downtown Disney for a short trip to California and I stopped in the World of Disney store....
I really am disappointed that the quality of items like T-shirts has gone way down from when I used to buy them all the time in years past.
I mean I guess I should be happy that nothing really interested me to buy $$.

As prices continue to increase on everything Disney I really don't get the move away from higher quality goods as crowds continue to become more affluent.

Not really ranting here I just wish Disney would provide a mix of higher and lower quality goods instead of just mostly junk in my opinion.

I bought a beautiful vintage Disney Store shirt off eBay (embroidered with Jiminy Cricket) that is probably at least 10-15 years old…it’s in better shape than most of the stuff at the parks.

If anyone sees me wearing it next Wednesday (OMG that’s only a week away!), stop me and say Hi, Tink!

And while FOMO might take over, check out the Disney Store online…they will have many things that are found in the park and they will go on sale eventually…I just bought the same Piglet and Eeyore t-shirts that were $34.99 @ Pooh Corner for $19.79 each at the Twice A Year Sale.

I bought a beautiful vintage Disney Store shirt off eBay (embroidered with Jiminy Cricket) that is probably at least 10-15 years old…it’s in better shape than most of the stuff at the parks.

If anyone sees me wearing it next Wednesday (OMG that’s only a week away!), stop me and say Hi, Tink!

And while FOMO might take over, check out the Disney Store online…they will have many things that are found in the park and they will go on sale eventually…I just bought the same Piglet and Eeyore t-shirts that were $34.99 @ Pooh Corner for $19.79 each at the Twice A Year Sale.
I have also been able to find some different items Online that I liked.

I seem to get a t shirt every year as a gift, most are unwearable. Bad fit, stretched neck, horrible after one wash. I bought a T shirt on a Disney cruise once and it lasted for years. Its not that hard, a good t shirt is not hard to order. I buy surf T shirts all the time they last forever. They are pinching pennies

The vast majority of the fashion merch that has been sold at the parks over the past 5 + yrs looks like the junk at a low budget cruise ship port. I haven’t purchased any merch at the parks in many years.

My daughter worked in merch at Disney. She was shocked how much people would pay for cheaply made junk. The garbage from the dollar store is of higher quality.

I have a tie-dyed Minnie T that I bought in 1993 and it's still in good shape. But the Fantasyland T I bought in 2016 is showing major signs of wear. That's pretty sad.

I've complained about the sizing in Ladies' shirts already elsewhere so I won't go there now. But I also think the designs are starting to go downhill. It used to be that the Ts were adorable and the 'annual' Ts (you know, DLR 2024 etc) were cute and original. Now they look repetitive and some of the annual Ts are almost garish.

I bought a beautiful vintage Disney Store shirt off eBay (embroidered with Jiminy Cricket) that is probably at least 10-15 years old…
I think I have that same shirt! Bought it in DCA about 5 (?) years ago. It's cream colored and has kind of puffed sleeves, with his name embroidered on the front. I was so impressed with the quality because it's rare to see these days.

I rarely find t-shirts that are nice like that at DLR these days. I had one not long before Jiminy that was aqua and had the skyway buckets on it. Since then, I've not seen anything much I'd be willing to pay for. I agree with you about the quality decline, but I see it everywhere, not just at Disney. Higher prices for junkier merch seems to be the trend, and we kind of set ourselves up for that by depending on cheap imports.

As a man, I have also been disappointed in the choice for guys shirts. Feels like every time I go, there are fewer selections. Several of the t-shirts I have bought ended up shrinking in length, which for a rather tall guy, sucks.

I did recently come across this place which appears to sell an incredible variety of shirts that are Disney licensed:

https://www.rsvlts.com/

Most aren’t t-shirt style, but are instead button down but I appreciate that. I sent a couple along to the family and hope to get an Emperor’s New Groove themed one this Sunday. Hoping the quality is good considering the price. I can let folks know how they are, if interested. They have ladies styles too!

I know what you mean about the shirts. I have a great Mickey Mouse t shirt I got in like 1998 that still looks great, and these nice fleece pullovers that still look and feel new. But the shirts I only bought a year or 2 ago already have faded designs and are wearing out.

As a man, I have also been disappointed in the choice for guys shirts. Feels like every time I go, there are fewer selections. Several of the t-shirts I have bought ended up shrinking in length, which for a rather tall guy, sucks.

I did recently come across this place which appears to sell an incredible variety of shirts that are Disney licensed:

https://www.rsvlts.com/

Most aren’t t-shirt style, but are instead button down but I appreciate that. I sent a couple along to the family and hope to get an Emperor’s New Groove themed one this Sunday. Hoping the quality is good considering the price. I can let folks know how they are, if interested. They have ladies styles too!

I bought a couple of RSVLTS shirts for my DW trip this year because I really liked some of the designs, and I was blown away by how much cooler and lighter I felt in them than t-shirts. I was kind of wary about the breathability of something that was a button-up style, but now I'll likely continue to expand my collection with how great they felt.

I also have one of their hoodies and highly recommend them. The lack of a front pocket on a hoodie is a downer for me, but they're extremely comfortable and would be perfect for those cooler DL evenings.

I bought a couple of RSVLTS shirts for my DW trip this year because I really liked some of the designs, and I was blown away by how much cooler and lighter I felt in them than t-shirts. I was kind of wary about the breathability of something that was a button-up style, but now I'll likely continue to expand my collection with how great they felt.

I also have one of their hoodies and highly recommend them. The lack of a front pocket on a hoodie is a downer for me, but they're extremely comfortable and would be perfect for those cooler DL evenings.
That sounds great. Hopefully I pull one out of a gift bag on Sunday. 😅

It’s not just Disney. I used to buy Tommy Bahama t-shirts but now they’re thin and cheaply made but the same price or higher. We leave the Disney shirts on the shelf. Garbage.

It’s not just Disney. I used to buy Tommy Bahama t-shirts but now they’re thin and cheaply made but the same price or higher.
Yikes! I have not noticed that at all. Tommy Bahama seems to be a last bastion of quality product, albeit at a premium price. Another is Crazy Shirts--their product quality is still as wonderful as ever.

Nice. Would be interested in an update here once you get them!

I agree! Lots of cute stuff there. I'm wondering about the material. How breathable and stretchy is it? I've never heard of 'Kunuflex'. Google just came up with a subreddit where someone stated 93% Poly, 7% spandex. My concern would be breathability in hot weather & humidity. They're expensive shirts and I'd hate to feel "Well, this is only comfy in cool weather".

But also how true to size. One of the big problems with Disney's Tshirts is that they're all either sized for Juniors or for 'Pooh-sizes'. And men's sizes don't work for those of us with, ahem, bosoms & hips.

@MonocularVision Let us know what you think as far as the material goes. I know that sizes are very subjective.

I agree! Lots of cute stuff there. I'm wondering about the material. How breathable and stretchy is it? I've never heard of 'Kunuflex'. Google just came up with a subreddit where someone stated 93% Poly, 7% spandex. My concern would be breathability in hot weather & humidity. They're expensive shirts and I'd hate to feel "Well, this is only comfy in cool weather".

But also how true to size. One of the big problems with Disney's Tshirts is that they're all either sized for Juniors or for 'Pooh-sizes'. And men's sizes don't work for those of us with, ahem, bosoms & hips.

@MonocularVision Let us know what you think as far as the material goes. I know that sizes are very subjective.

Yeah, "Kunuflex" is their branding for the blend. I'd say it feels like an Under Armour workout shirt or something similar. It's not as stretchy as a workout top would be, but it definitely has way more stretch and give than your typical button-down shirt.

Shirts are consistent in sizing and run true to size. I'm right between a S and M in most men's clothing and can wear either comfortably. The small is obviously a little snugger, but looks more like a slim fit on me because of the stretch, while the M is a looser fit like a traditional dress shirt. Many of the older shirts have lots of reviews with photos if you want to get more of a real-world view than the stock images.

The hoodies meanwhile tend to run a size larger than the dress shirts. If you wear a L in the shirt for example, you'd probably want a M hoodie unless you want it baggier.

There is just something about a poor fitting t shirt that feels like it is from Hanes that sends me over the edge…. Especially if the price tag shows a price I would find at Nordstroms.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest