Meningitis Shot: Did you get one before going to college?

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
I was wondering if colleges require you to have one for admissions?

Hmm, I have no idea if I got that one. All I remember is getting about 4 different shots/tests :eek: before going to college since a couple of them were "recommended."

you should definately get one before going to school...at most schools around here its required, but there's really no reason not to get it.

actually Staphanie as the mother of a vaccine injured child, there are plenty of reasons NOT to get it = #1 being you can die or be disabled FROM a vaccine.

I would not say do not get vaccinated - but I would say - please make this choice carefully and research this decision as you would any potentially life altering medical decision.

My college requires a meningitis shot and a cholesterol blood test.
It is really important to get this shot before you go to college simply because any type of illness flies around campuses.

noone can FORCE anyone to have a shot - there are only 2 states I believe who do not offer waivers from immunizations.
I never heard of a cholesterol test for college, any idea what the reasoning is for that?
that said - research is absolutely essential.

YES, my son did get a one time Meningitis shot before he left for college two years ago. Sadly we did have a local college student die last year from a fast moving Meningitis virus. It's better to be " safe" in the crowded dorm enviroment and take the vaccine.

I never even lived on campus and I still was required to get a meningitis shot & a tetanus (sp?) shot. Ugh, I hate needles. :sad2:
~Kelly

We just had a 12yo child(at my Hospital) die within 24hrs from meningitis-it can be a horrible viral infection-very fast moving-I suggest college kids to get one :)

kdtwiss said:
actually Staphanie as the mother of a vaccine injured child, there are plenty of reasons NOT to get it = #1 being you can die or be disabled FROM a vaccine.

I would not say do not get vaccinated - but I would say - please make this choice carefully and research this decision as you would any potentially life altering medical decision.

I believe my college either requires it or STRONGLY influences that the freshman get it.

Honestly, yes there are reasons not to be vaccinated, but at the age of 18, and the risks of the disease, I believe it would be VERY unwise at college not to get one.

My roommates friend came down with it this fall and was in the hopsital for awhile extremely sick and wasn't doing so well for awhile.

Things spread like wildfire in the dorms.

DH was in college from 96-2000, I have been in college since 99 (at grad level now). Between the two of us and all these years, we have only known TWO people who have gotten it: my DH's roommate. But he got it from getting drunk, doing who knows what, and sleeping in Golden Gate Park (SF, CA); and another friend who contracted it at army boot camp.

Yes, it is a scary disease but I would do my research and be wary of over-imunizing. I didn't get it as it was not required, nor did my DH... and neither of us have gotten it even though exposed to it by two people at two different times.

kdtwiss said:
noone can FORCE anyone to have a shot - there are only 2 states I believe who do not offer waivers from immunizations.
I never heard of a cholesterol test for college, any idea what the reasoning is for that?
that said - research is absolutely essential.
I have no idea why they require it but i am so glad they did because i found out my cholesterol is through the roof. Without the required test, I would have never known.

UCLA only required the Hepatitis B series, but my doctor recommended the meningitis vaccine so I received that as well.

My school makes you get that and a few others are required to live on campus.
You aren't "required" to get them but I have known a few people who weren't allowed to live on campus without them. I'm a commuter but still had to get most of them.

A kid in my old high school actually just got meningitis over the weekend and is in the hospital in "good" condition... :confused3

I had to get it, I also had to be tested for TB and got the Hep B series.

My mom is a public health nurse who specializes in communicable diseases so I of course got one, I'd say no matter what the benefits of getting any vaccine outway the risks...and MUCH outway the temporary discomfort of a needle prick...jmho :confused3

there is a wonderful PBS special about this and believe me after you see it you will RUN to get the vaccine!
but then again I am a RN so I am pro vaccines~
Do your own reaserch on it but if it were me I would do it
The PBS documentary is very educational and scary! :earseek:
It is rare but you dont want to be the one that gets it!

I was able to have it waived. It was indeed required to live on campus and I did live on campus for awhile without the shots. I have a compromised immune system and my dr's wrote the school saying it would be more of a risk for me to get the shot then chance it without it. So I was able to squeak by.

Though for those with normal immune systems I would reccomend it the way stuff does spread. I eventually plan on teaching and will have to sign another waiver so that I do not have to get the Hep B series because they pose the same risks.

I didn't get one before going to school because I had surgery 2 weeks before moving in. But I did end up getting one a few months later, when my immune system was a little stronger.

However, I do know people who ended up not getting the shot (and to be honest, there has been no scare of meningitis so far... lets hope it stays that way :) )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!