Me, Myself, and the Metal Detectors.

That breaks my heart to hear! I can't believe they are trained to push and pull a guest. Trust me if I'm the guest behind you I'm not complaining about you I'll be complaining to security! I imagine a lot of this comes from the service dog fakers though. You have a well trained dog that listens to voice commands but sadly a lot of service dogs that make it into Disney barely know sit let alone would sit and stay with out their handlers right on top of them.

Back to the OP ours was Test Track for awhile. I rode it a ton in CM previews but when my fiance came to visit me and ride it finally I think it took us almost 3 trips in a year span until he finally got on. It was a bummer to say the least for him as TT is a favorite of his.

I will not say they are trained to push and pull someone, it is my experience and another dissers experience that they "manhandle us", she told me the same thing she has tried to tell security to slow down and let her give commands, but they have not. Last year I went with granddaughter, I should have asked her to video, but this year, after I got the message from other disser I informed Disney that I would video and send them the tapes if the security put there hands on me. It is a matter of educating, both the security people and the thousands of Disney fans who wish to get thru fast because they are busy. I appreciate your understanding, I hope others will hear and understand, I can speed it up but it take so disney security to understand how to help rather than hinder, which is a learning process. Eventually they will get it, but I know it usually takes 3 to 5 years, it is a slow process, please everyone be patient if you see a guide dog or a hearing dog, not to exclude other dogs, but for us it is a to fold they are telling us what to do and what us to immediately do it, when we need to slow down understand what they want and command our dog to do it, and the minute the put there hands on us, we become nervous and then the dogs stress out and don't know what they are expected to do. A person in a w/c may have a dog but they can hear and see what is expected, a person with a dog for diabetes most likely can hear and see, I can hear butthere are thousands of talking people, did that lady over there just ask me to step this way or was she talking to her kid, is that person yelling come on the security guy or a husband yelling at his wife, or is that person who is saying this way talking to me, yes it takes me a moment to figure that all out, usually by then the security grabs my arm and pulls me thinking that is helping, sorry it does not. Then they are watching all those I am tying up, but I can't see your discuss that you got behind me, I can't see you giving the finger to me, so the security guy seeing everyone getting mad just tries to push me n thru then realizes that the dog handle is setting off the metal detector, then everything slows down more. At the airport they are trained, every school for guide dogs, goes to the airport and trains them, it is not easy but they always know the minute they see me, they start devert the crowds to other lines knowing they will need a few minutes, they never make me go thru the full body scan, they do something new now and remove the harness and make me just stand with my cane, then they put harness thru metal scanner, let us all get thru and then give harness back and then take cane and put that thru. I have had a guide dog for 20 years, they need to go slow and train better and we would be fine.

Have you considered applying for a trusted traveler program that gives you precheck? That would be precheck, global entry, or nexus (the last is my choice...gives you all three and is only $50...takes a few months to be preapproved and they don't have processing centers everywhere but if you can do it it's awesome).

Unless it's actually the metal detectors that are reading all this metal (vs the naked machines).

I have no idea what the issue is. I have a practical junk yard in my neck,never turns up anything.
But they really want to believe I pierced my breasts and crotch. Honestly, depending on my mood, even though I fully expect the feel up, I'm quite a bit sarcastic when asked. Any number of responses akin to "thought bubble popping" tend to come out of my mouth.

For me it's water that's become the joke in our family. Doesn't matter where we are, what we're doing-if there's water I WILL be the one getting wet. Spitting camel and tikis in Adventreland, they will hit me every time. I'm always the one that gets soaked on Splash and Kali no matter where I sit.

You sound like the perfect park companion to me! :earboy2:

This was us last year when we went in August. At that time metal detectors will still random and we were picked every time! I became very efficient in dumping my bag at the security table where everything was divided into three clear quart sized bags to keep items together like diapers and wipes. Security only took seconds since by the middle of the trip I was only bringing in the absolute minimum I had to figuring we still had a kid in diapers. I do remember the last day I was not asked to go through the detector , but I was already on my way over to it since I was so used to going and they let me walked through. I laughed and told them the only way I knew to get into the park is through a detector!! I'm glad everyone goes through them now!
I didn't know they've started sending everybody through, now I won't feel like the odd woman out lol. I began the Ziploc method, too,but one security fellow gave me a funny look when he pulled out my baggy full of beef jerky. We maintained intense and silent eye contact for about 15 seconds before he chuckled and finished rummaging. It really does become second nature to just head towards the detectors! I caught one security woman off guard and she goes "how did you know I was coming to pick you?" I guess there's nothing sketchier than a short, sweaty, chubby young woman hahaha

This was us last year when we went in August. At that time metal detectors will still random and we were picked every time! I became very efficient in dumping my bag at the security table where everything was divided into three clear quart sized bags to keep items together like diapers and wipes. Security only took seconds since by the middle of the trip I was only bringing in the absolute minimum I had to figuring we still had a kid in diapers. I do remember the last day I was not asked to go through the detector , but I was already on my way over to it since I was so used to going and they let me walked through. I laughed and told them the only way I knew to get into the park is through a detector!! I'm glad everyone goes through them now!
I didn't know they've started sending everybody through, now I won't feel like the odd woman out lol. I began the Ziploc method, too,but one security fellow gave me a funny look when he pulled out my baggy full of beef jerky. We maintained intense and silent eye contact for about 15 seconds before he chuckled and finished rummaging. It really does become second nature to just head towards the detectors! I caught one security woman off guard and she goes "how did you know I was coming to pick you?" I guess there's nothing sketchier than a short, sweaty, chubby young woman hahaha

My husband is the one who gets stopped now. But I'm convinced it's because he wears those cargo shorts. You know...the ones with, like, fifteen bazillion pockets.

In the days before the metal detectors, I would carry this tiny messenger-style bag when I would wear a dress or shorts without pockets. Just so I could carry my pass and phone. Well, I would have to go to the bag-check table. Meanwhile, they are waiving him right on through the "guests without bags" entrance. He quite literally has his wallet, phone, Annual Pass, two bottles of water, a granola bar, keys, and sixteen wadded up F&W receipts...yet he still ends up waiting for me impatiently on the other side.

Now that he has to pull all of his stuff out of those cavernous pockets, he's learned to only bring what he really wants!
Hahaha I'm picturing like safari-esque shorts and it's cracking me up! We always try to pack small bags but I'm such an over preparer I end up loaded down like your husband's shorts pockets

I kid you not, every single time we get in line to meet a character we get the "Sorry. XXXXXXXX is going on a break but will be back in 45 minutes!" Which of course is ALWAYS in the middle of our Fastpass window on the other side of the park. We've been trying to meet Gaston for the last SIX TRIPS!!!!! It's become a family joke.:tongue:
Oh no! This would drive me crazy. Like adult meltdown crazy lol I know they have to cut the line off somewhere but dang it doesn't it always seem like it happens to us? I'm glad y'all can laugh at it, though, because there readily isn't another option haha

Does heartburn count??

Heartburn. Every trip. Every day. It's totally my fault I have ZERO will-power when it comes to Disney dining!!

The last time I went I started taking the 14 day over the counter heartburn treatment 3 days before we left for our vacation so it wouldn't be a problem. Thankfully it worked like a champ.
Heartburn counts! And it can be a TOTAL Disney buzzkill because I totally understand you're failing will power lolol I swear we can eat at Pecos and I can be stuffed to the gills but the second I see a pretzel or a churro my brain is like oh we should eat one lolol

Things that always happen to us:

1: We are always chosen to carry the red card through the line.

2: We are always cut off to be let into the next show or on the next car.

3: Characters go on break as soon as we get in line.
Oooh the red card! They gave that thing to me once when we were trying to meet Daisy and I got so wrapped up in the moment I forgot I had it and Daisy chased me down to snatch it away lolol I hope y'all are more responsible with it than I was

FP+ queue cut off. They always stop the line at us for the standby to proceed, always.

Dh gets the metal detectors almost every time.

On the positive side, we often seem to be at the right place at the right time and Magical Moments seem to find us!
I'm glad magical moments find you! It's really spectacular how special you feel when they do and it feels oh-so-Disney

My son always gets selected to go through the metal detectors, every single time. The funny part is he is a retired Navy Corpsman and still wears his hair high and tight and walks with that military walk, it obvious he's military. He just laughs about it, says he must look like a thug since he does have a number of tatoos on his arms.

If there is any water on a ride, I will get wet even those you aren't supposed to get wet on. I got off frozen looking like I had been on splash mountain, got off Thunder Mountain wet (not sure how that even happened), Pirates - yep I'm the one who gets wet, heck I even got wet on Safari one trip. Had a bird poop on me on one of the trails at Animal Kingdom, little devil had been eating something purple and I was wearing a white shirt. Looked like I had been in a terrible accident.
My best friend god SOAKED on pirates! One of the cannon splashes saturated her clothes and of course that day she chose to wear a white cotton romper type thing. She'll be glad to know somebody else has experienced water on a not water ride lol

I get picked every time for the metal detectors and I am so happy that they no longer select randomly, and everyone has to go thru them. I will apologize to anyone who gets behind me when going thru, it is not easy to go thru a metal detector fast when you are blind and Disney has not yet trained the security to deal with blind individuals in the security line. I am hoping that since it is not random that they will no longer come up and grab my arm and pull me to to metal detector, since everyone will be going I am hoping that I can just follow everyone else, or have my dog follow everyone else. Since I usually skip the bag check I usually have nothing so it should be easier. But my dog always sets off the machine and it is worse because security people are trying to rush because everyone just wants to go thru, but since I become panicked when you start pushing me, my dog feels that I am nervous and she can't figure out why people are pulling and pushing me because she is able to walk me where I need to go, so she is waiting for me to give the command follow, but since the security men still have there hand on my arm pulling me I can't give the command. Then security for some reason picks up the handle, which is never allowed, it would be equal to throwing a w/c person onto the ground, that harness is my way to feel what the dog is seeing, the dog knows the handle is not to be touched by untrained people, there is a law that states that no one is allowed to interfere with the travel of a guide dog and a blind person, yet grabbing the harness of the dog to pull her out of line to wand her down interferes with our travel. Usually by the time we are done and it takes us much more tha 15 sec, I need to go and sit and collect my thoughts and give the dog time to recoup. So I apologize in advance to anyone who gets behind me as they now do not randomly pick just me out everyday but makes everyone go thru the metal detectors. I try to tell security that I go thru the airport at least once a month and never have a problem but the they are trained not to push and pull me, as a matter of fact I don't think any airport person has ever put there hand on me. I tell them how we do it, I take the harness off and let them take it thru metal detector, I the ask the dog to walk thru and sit, if the leash makes the medal detector goes of which it can happen but not usually, then I tell dog to sit and drop the leash, or if it does not, I tell dog to sit and I walk thru with the leash in hand. I then can not walk, I have to put harness back on and we are thru and I have my eyes again, I only had to take about three steps without harness. But since others are rushing to get throw, and staff refuse to keep there hands off me and want to just push me thru it slows it down even more. So please if you end up behind me I apologize but I will try to educate the security men to take an extra minute and learn to do it right, because in the long run it will be better.

I have already told Disney last year, and have already informed them that I hope they have educated there security this year (although just this week I got a message from a fellow dis member who tells me she is being man handled and touched by security and her dog is frustrated by the process also). I have volunteered to spend time with security if they would like me to show them how I do it, I would be more than happy to spend 30 minutes before park open showing them how to have me go thru the security without them touching me, and what would be helpful to get it done fast. without people behind me, and I assume many others, since this is how we are trained when we go to school for 28 days before we take our dogs home. I do not wish to argue that the law states or means something else, each state has a law, each state words it differently. My hope is to educate the people who come up behind me in line, it will take me longer, I am sorry but rushing it just so you get thru easier, does not help me, it actually makes it much harder and therefore slower for me to get thru.
This is disheartening to read. I am so sorry you're treated this way! I probably don't speak for everybody but please, never ever feel like you have to apologize. You have every right to be there. I hope Disney addresses this soon. And I hope the people behind you have the sense to know that any delaying your fault.

I get the "Special pat down" at the airport on EVERY SINGLE DEPARTURE from RDU. Ironically, they say I'm showing metal in all kinds of areas EXCEPT where I actually have metal. It's a running joke in our family as well. "Hey mom, You excited for your date with TSA?" The woman who last had me get into position for the pat down, asked me if I had any piercings etc, when I replied only in my ears, she asked quite loudly if I was "certain the did not have an exotic piercings". Uh, I'm pretty sure I'd remember, while she checked my crotch.

Needless to say, I'm just so looking forward to my upcoming fondling this May.
Your date with TSA lolol. How kind of her to question your bits and bobs in front of EVERYBODY. Oh TSA. We get through ICT absolutely fine but when we're coming home I swear, SWEAR, Orlando sees us and goes "those two! Pick them!" Once I got a full on pat down because the woman thought I was hiding something in my pocket and the last trip my Mom and I were told we had "suspicious shadows" on our scans. Mine was on my collar/shoulder (what could I even possibly hide there??) And moms showed up between her thighs (seriously) so in the middle of her pat down she announces that "nothin but big ole meaty thighs in there" and I died laughing, as did the TSA lady! Lord I'm sure we could start a whole new post on TSA "dates" lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter