Mazda CX-5?

AmyAnne

DIS Veteran
Anyone here knowledgable about the Mazda CX-5?

It looks like our plans to buy a new car next year might be getting moved up . . . We have a Mazda-6 that my MIL gave to us a few years ago. It's a 2004 but since MIL rarely drives, the car only has about 80,000 miles, most of which we have put on the car. Anyway, it's having some issues and might be past the point where it makes sense to repair, given how old the car is. All of the cars DH and I have purchased have been Toyotas, and we've been happy with them (drove to 200,000 miles+, still have a Highlander and Camry).

We had planned to purchase a RAV4 once the Mazda needed to be replaced. But we needed a rental over Thanksgiving and lucked into being able to pick a RAV4, and discovered that there are a few things that we don't like. Now thinking about looking at the Mazda CX-5. The Mazda 6 has been very reliable (actually no repair costs at all in the 4-5 years we've had it, just regular maintenance). Of course we'll look at Consumer Reports and such, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who's had one or otherwise knows about this car.

This is no help, but I can't think of anyone I know who has a Mazda these days. I can't even think of the last time I saw a Mazda on the road. Which is funny, because back when Mazda had rotary engines, a lot of my friends had them. RX-3s were the hot cars in the 1970s, and many coworkers had RX-7's in the 1980s.
Looking it up, Mazda sold 269,000 cars in the U.S. last year, Toyota sold over 17 million in the U.S. in 2017.

We bought a CX5 for my wife 4 years ago. We love it. The mileage is even better than rated. Mazda service by us is the best I've ever had. When my Kia Soul got totaled by a texting driver, I went and bought a CX3 for me. I love that to.

We have only driven mazda's for the past 15+ years. However, I'm in Canada and they sell a LOT of them up here. I currently drive a Mazda 5, but when looking for a new car, I test drove that along with the CX5.

I chose the Mazda 5 because it felt roomier, I like the sliding doors (so it's basically a small mini van), it has more cargo room and what I found out as I test drove them both, the CX5 had way more blind spots while backing up, parking, shoulder checking etc. This was my experience anyway :)

I bought a Mazda CX5 Grand Touring in July and it's my favorite car/suv BY FAR. I did a lot of research and looking in person and it was what I wanted from day one. I also had a 2001 Mazda Tribute for years and sold it to my in-laws in 2015 and they still drive it, no major issues.

I know other more expensive vehicles have the "active driving display" but I can't recommend it enough on the CX5. I knew I wanted it and once I test drove my model with it, I was in love. It's amazing how much safer that it is instead of looking down at the speedometer. It has all the safety amenities one could want and it's rated high on KBB and Edmunds (by them and drivers). It rides very well and very quiet as well. As someone else also mentioned, I also get better gas mileage than I thought I would based on their numbers and I do city driving as well and easily get average 29.0 mpg.

My husband is very picky and he drives a loaded Ford Escape Titanium model and he *loves* mine so that says a lot! :). I researched for awhile and it was always at the top of my list. Once my husband saw the car in person and rode/drove in it, he admitted it shocked him.

In my experience here and in Europe, Mazda is pretty popular and no complaints by me.

Good luck!

Heather

We have a Mazda CX-5 and love it! My husband is a mechanic and he is extra picky about what we drive. Like others have said it has great gas mileage too!

My MIL has a RAV4 and I definitely prefer our car to here.

We have a Mazda CX-5 and love it! My husband is a mechanic and he is extra picky about what we drive.

Wow, count your blessings. Every woman I know that is married to a mechanic is driving a clunker that wasn't even made in this century. Usually a car that a customer failed to pay a repair bill, or felt wasn't worth fixing, and usually has close to 200,000 miles on it.

My mechanic just bought his wife a 1998 Explorer with 150,000 miles on it.

A friend of ours is a mechanic at the Toyota dealer. We've known them 20 years and she is still driving the same 1983 salvaged titled Camry that he paid $500 for in 1993. I haven't ridden in it in 10 years and it had 200,000 miles on it then.

And a lady I work with, her husband was a mechanic at the Porsche/VW/Audi dealer, and she comes in frozen because her husband refuses to fix the heater in her BMW. Even at his cost, the part is too expensive he says.

Wow, count your blessings. Every woman I know that is married to a mechanic is driving a clunker that wasn't even made in this century. Usually a car that a customer failed to pay a repair bill, or felt wasn't worth fixing, and usually has close to 200,000 miles on it.

My mechanic just bought his wife a 1998 Explorer with 150,000 miles on it.

A friend of ours is a mechanic at the Toyota dealer. We've known them 20 years and she is still driving the same 1983 salvaged titled Camry that he paid $500 for in 1993. I haven't ridden in it in 10 years and it had 200,000 miles on it then.

And a lady I work with, her husband was a mechanic at the Porsche/VW/Audi dealer, and she comes in frozen because her husband refuses to fix the heater in her BMW. Even at his cost, the part is too expensive he says.

I’m thankful my husband thinks a little different! For starters we have a child and he doesn’t want us out in a car that could be unreliable.

He also says he does enough working on cars at work, and doesn’t want to spend his free time fixing our car unless he has to.

We buy brand new, but usually keep our cars for 10 years though or until the maintenance gets to be too expensive. He likes having a car that he knows exactly what’s been done to it.

I’m thankful my husband thinks a little different! For starters we have a child and he doesn’t want us out in a car that could be unreliable.

He also says he does enough working on cars at work, and doesn’t want to spend his free time fixing our car unless he has to.

We buy brand new, but usually keep our cars for 10 years though or until the maintenance gets to be too expensive. He likes having a car that he knows exactly what’s been done to it.

Thinking about it, not sure they have ever had reliability issues that left them stranded. They keep up the engine and brakes. They just may have to add a quart of oil every month, and the heater, radio, power windows, sun roof, cruise control, etc may not work, and the upholstery may be a mess. They all have kids. I just traded in a car I had 31 years. It only stranded me once.

I don't have a CX-5, but I've been happy with my Mazda 5 mini-minivan for 8 years and have only great things to say about Mazda. As much as I'd love to graduate from minivan-hood to an SUV, the Mazda 5 is still going strong with minimal repairs or upkeep. I can't justify a car payment when that money could instead be spent on vacations :thumbsup2. When I do start looking again, though, I'll definitely start with a Mazda.

We have a CX-9 and like it. Our other car is a Toyota Venza.

Thanksgiving 2013, we were replacing both of our cars (2002 Toyota Highlander and 2004 Nissan Murano) and ended up buying both of these on the same day.

Since you were considering tbe Rav 4 and CX-5, I would also suggest looking at the Venza. Very similar to Rav 4.

We like both of our cars a lot and have not had any major issues with both being owned for 5 years now - just routine maintenance. They are both comfy rides and do a decent job fitting 3 people in the 2nd row.

Our ownly regret is that the CX9 has everything but the tech package - and we really wish we got that. We miss the garage door homelink the most...

I hate SUVs, so there's that. However, if you insist on one the CX-5 is about near the head of its' class. Mazda has very good reliability and the CX-5 is the sporty vehicle of the group. It's based on the Mazda3 sedan. I'd highly recommend it.

However, what's wrong with the Mazda6 that has only 80k miles that you don't think it's worth repairing? If you don't want it because you don't like/want it, that's one thing. But those cars are darn reliable, I'd wonder what's so bad that it's not worth fixing?

I hate SUVs, so there's that. However, if you insist on one the CX-5 is about near the head of its' class. Mazda has very good reliability and the CX-5 is the sporty vehicle of the group. It's based on the Mazda3 sedan. I'd highly recommend it.

However, what's wrong with the Mazda6 that has only 80k miles that you don't think it's worth repairing? If you don't want it because you don't like/want it, that's one thing. But those cars are darn reliable, I'd wonder what's so bad that it's not worth fixing?

I wondered the same thing and thought that if my car only had 80K and it was getting too expensive to maintain I wouldn't be getting the same manufacturer when I was looking to replace it.

OP, my father has a CX-5 and is very happy with it. His car before that was also a Mazda (can't remember what kind) and he had over 200K on it. He did not hesitate to get another Mazda. We looked at Mazdas when we were looking for a car for dd. We didn't end up with one but they are definitely on our look at list when we have to replace the cars we drive now.
Its funny around her Mazda's, specifically the CX-5 have just about beat out the Honda Civics in terms of popularity on the road. I see them everywhere. I think there are 4 in my subdivision alone.

We dumped our one and only Mazda over Labor Day weekend and will never go back. Ironically we moved over to a Rav 4.

We had bought a CX-7 in 2010 and had been having headlight problems for years. It got to the point we were using our older vehicle for night travel as we had no headlights at all. It was blamed on bad seals on both headlights, leading to moisture entering the headlamp itself. Multiple estimates lead to close to $2,000 to replace. There are numerous complaints regarding Mazdas and this problem with the NTSB, but nothing has been done yet.
In addition, the driver's seat was broken, we could not move it up. They wanted $900 to fix that.
We had sudden acceleration issues also, we'd go to back up and the vehicle would literally take off. Same going forward, we had to be careful in a drive thru line or at the bank. That was another grand.
The final straw was the driver side window would not roll down anymore. Didn't even bother with an estimate as that was it, time to dump.

We keep cars til the wheels fall off, but this car was only 8 years old with 110K miles and it was either put upwards of $4,000 in repairs into it, or dump it to some other poor soul. We traded it in and are thrilled with the Rav 4. We were quoted 28 mp highway, we're getting 31. The Mazda had been recalled multiple times, the dealership never had the loaner car promised by Mazda in the letters. Took several days off from work, had to cancel doctor appointments due to no transportation, it was a nightmare with both the car, and the dealership.

Never again.

While we did not buy a Mazada in the end I would not hesitate too...
My wife commutes to work a little over 50 miles R/T and she likes smaller SUV type Cars. We looked at the Mazada CX3, Honda HRV (which just came out) and Subaru Cross track... We ended buying the Honda just because it was the largest of all and my wife liked it.... One thing I will agree with is the Rav 4 is not really up to par with the rest in the class as far as interior goes which is way out of line for Toyota as in general they really excel in that area..

I am not the OP but even with low mileage a 14 year old car is a ticking time bomb of reliability.

We dumped our one and only Mazda over Labor Day weekend and will never go back. Ironically we moved over to a Rav 4.

We had bought a CX-7 in 2010 and had been having headlight problems for years. It got to the point we were using our older vehicle for night travel as we had no headlights at all. It was blamed on bad seals on both headlights, leading to moisture entering the headlamp itself. Multiple estimates lead to close to $2,000 to replace. There are numerous complaints regarding Mazdas and this problem with the NTSB, but nothing has been done yet.
In addition, the driver's seat was broken, we could not move it up. They wanted $900 to fix that.
We had sudden acceleration issues also, we'd go to back up and the vehicle would literally take off. Same going forward, we had to be careful in a drive thru line or at the bank. That was another grand.
The final straw was the driver side window would not roll down anymore. Didn't even bother with an estimate as that was it, time to dump.

We keep cars til the wheels fall off, but this car was only 8 years old with 110K miles and it was either put upwards of $4,000 in repairs into it, or dump it to some other poor soul. We traded it in and are thrilled with the Rav 4. We were quoted 28 mp highway, we're getting 31. The Mazda had been recalled multiple times, the dealership never had the loaner car promised by Mazda in the letters. Took several days off from work, had to cancel doctor appointments due to no transportation, it was a nightmare with both the car, and the dealership.

Never again.

OMG - we had the same issue with our 2013 CX-9 headlights this year!!

We have a 2016 CX-5. Not one single issue with it, but of course it is still under 30,000 miles. I live in central NJ and Mazdas are EVERYWHERE around here. :rolleyes: My son worked at Mazda so we got a very generous family price for a lease. (He no longer works there, sadly)

That said, we are coming off lease in 5 months and I will look at other brands as well before making a decision. I may try to go smaller, but still want the all wheel drive. They contacted me about exchanging it early and I told my husband, we will call on Dec 31 and see if they want to make a deal. :-) hahaha.

Just to add, we never leased before. We always had cars until they fell apart. 10-13 years. My husband drives a clunker. We decided to get one reliable car, we share it but mostly I drive it. We are getting older. The upkeep on the old cars was getting crazy, we replaced engines, transmissions, etc over the years.

I am not the OP but even with low mileage a 14 year old car is a ticking time bomb of reliability.

Absolutely not. Maintenance and brand play a huge role, but in broad terms a 14 year old car is nothing close to a ticking time bomb of reliability. Mazda has a pretty strong track record with reliability. Not quite up to Honda/Toyota standards, but pretty darn good...even in the years when they were owned by Ford.

Last edited:
Absolutely not. Maintenance and brand play a huge role, but in broad terms a 14 year old car is nothing close to a ticking time bomb of reliability. Mazda has a pretty strong track record with reliability. Not quite up to Honda/Toyota standards, but pretty darn good...even in the years when they were owned by Ford.
I agree.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter