Maybe a dumb question: will new Fantasy ice cream shop cost $$?

GBBTomorrow

DIS Veteran
Do people expect that the new ice cream shop on the Fantasy will cost money, or would it be included in the cruise costs? I have trouble getting excited for things that add to the "nickel and dime me to death" situation. DCL never used to do this like the other cruise lines. Tell me this isn't a step in that direction....

Do people expect that the new ice cream shop on the Fantasy will cost money, or would it be included in the cruise costs? I have trouble getting excited for things that add to the "nickel and dime me to death" situation. DCL never used to do this like the other cruise lines. Tell me this isn't a step in that direction....
Most likely, just like Vanellope's on the Dream, it'll be an extra cost venue.

I'm thinking they will charge for the ice cream. Just like they do for the popcorn.

You will still be able to get the soft ice cream for free on deck. If it is like the one on the Dream it also sells candy and other desserts for a price. You can get big Ice cream sundaes that is put in a huge trophy type cup or a race car. I think it is $15. for 6 or 8 ? scoops of ice cream and a lot of toppings.

Saw a few people last cruise order it and have it brought to the dining room for dessert.

edit...seemed like more scoops definitely a share kind of deal.

Last edited:

So for those that have been on the Dream, what are some of the reasons you would pay for ice cream at Vanellope's when it's free on deck?

I haven't been on the Dream since Vanellope's, but the difference is that the free stuff is that mediocre low-fat soft serve stuff. And Vanellope's is hard packed, premium ice cream/gelato.
I agree. I may be one of the rare ones that does not like ice cream but will have some if it is
REAL and gladly pay for it. (and i'm cheap)

Rule of thumb for the cruise industry: any "new" anything will cost extra going forward.

(Royal Carribean just fell in lockstep with NCL to start charging a room service fee.)

Unbundling is happening.

I had the ice cream on the Dream and I thought it was terrible. It left a film in my mouth and didn't really have any flavor. I actually like the soft serve better.

The soft serve ice cream is hit or miss. I wouldn't pay for ice cream or a shake( I'm not a dessert eater) but it's a treat for my kids. Heck, I'll pay 12 bucks for a martini so letting my kids go to the ice cream parlor and get a shake or some good ice cream for 5 bucks is not that big a deal to me.

We ordered a race car for the dining room one night, mostly for the novelty of it. We did have one bum flavor (agree with previous poster about a filmy thing going on), but the rest of the flavors were actually terrific.

Wasn't too pricy, made us laugh when it came (the servers made a huge deal about it), and overall we enjoyed it. Added to the fun for us. YMMV.

Rule of thumb for the cruise industry: any "new" anything will cost extra going forward.

(Royal Carribean just fell in lockstep with NCL to start charging a room service fee.)

Unbundling is happening.

Wow did not know that about RC. I remember the uproar when NCL started charging the fee.
I might have to go check out Cruise Critic to read the outrage. :)

This kind of reminds me when airlines started charging for checked bagged. The gasps
at the first one. Then one by one the rest stepped in line to charge also.

Wow did not know that about RC. I remember the uproar when NCL started charging the fee.
I might have to go check out Cruise Critic to read the outrage. :)

This kind of reminds me when airlines started charging for checked bagged. The gasps
at the first one. Then one by one the rest stepped in line to charge also.

I didn't dig into it much because I already went through the NCL one at the time, but I think the thread is about 33 pages long (in my app anyway) and people are calling each other "cheap SOBs" and such. Get out the popcorn.

I didn't dig into it much because I already went through the NCL one at the time, but I think the thread is about 33 pages long (in my app anyway) and people are calling each other "cheap SOBs" and such. Get out the popcorn.

I didn't read all the posts but did see where people were discussing ordering a LOT at one time and
stocking the refrigerator and another person mentioned bringing TUPPERWARE to the buffet or dinner
time to stock up.

Yikes:tongue:

Do they still have a couple of flavors of scooped ice cream in Cabanas on the Dream now?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter