May 2018 Pre Trip and Trip Report

Discussion in 'Camping at Disney World' started by CarnesFamily, Jan 24, 2018.

1. CarnesFamily

CarnesFamily Earning My Ears

Hello! I have never done a trip report but I thought I would give it a try!

We are newbies to the Fort but not DW. Our scheduled arrival is May 4-10!!! This is the longest we have pulled our camper trailer so it will be an experience. We drove through the Fort last time we were there and we were thinking about buying a camper... that helped us take the plunge and we have never looked back.

We have 3 kiddos DS 10, DS 8 and DD 4. This is suppose to be a celebration trip to celebrate DD adoption!!! Last time we when to Disney the state had just told us that she would be moved from our home the following week! We lived it up that trip but now a year later her adoption is starting.

I have read a LOT of post on here but I hope I will gain new insight. Hope to meet some people that will be there the same time!

2. CarnesFamily

This trip each family member has a new experience we are hoping for. DH new thing is the Fort, mine is all new restaurants (except Chef Mickey's for breakfast because it is tradition), DS11 Mini-Golf, DS8 Star Wars Fireworks, DD4 Meeting Pooh Bear. (They don't know we are doing a day at Universal!! Another new experience for everyone)

Current Plans-
    Leave Louisiana mid-day May 3 and hoping to travel to Falling Water State park in Florida. Google says 7 hours and I am planning on 8 1/2-9 hours pulling the trailer. Get to the Fort Mid-day May 4. Hit the pool, Mini Golf, Dinner at Whispering Canyon and Campfire with Chip and Dale.
    Day 1 - HS - Beaches and Cream
    Day 2 - Chef Mickey's - Blizzard Beach (New for us) - HDDR
    Day 3 - Epcot - Garden Grill PPO - Via Napoli
    Day 4 - MK - BOG PPO - Crystal Palace
    Day 5 - AK - Tusker House Rivers of Light Package
    Pull out and head to a Universal Resort!

mco65 likes this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

4. tigger92662

tigger92662 They're not really rules, More like guidelines

CarnesFamily, Welcome to The Fort :welcome:. And congrats on DD adoption

Usually we tell people that once they've camped at The Fort they're hooked :thumbsup2

Yours is a new one for me, you drove through The Fort, and then bought a camper, LOL. :woohoo:

You're schedule looks pretty full, if you can try to give yourself a little time to explore The Fort, or you can just plan another trip, just sayin' :scratchin

Enjoy your stay and we will be looking forward to your trip report and hopefully pictures please.

CarnesFamily likes this.
  5. CarnesFamily

Yes... we have a busy schedule. I am really hoping for time on our arrival day and after Blizzard Beach to have Fort time but.... we will just have to plan another trip:)

Ds4angels likes this.
  6. CarnesFamily

Things I have learned in my Disboard research the last few weeks...

Things to bring that I wasn't already planning:
    Bike Locks
    Squirrel Food
    Feel free to add to my list. We have the typical "Camping" stuff.

7. CarnesFamily

After reading about transportation...
    My plans are to use to boat to MK, use the buses for the times we aren't in a hurry (because my little one loves the buses), and drive our vehicle for the times we rope drop or have PPO breakfast.

8. FtW Mike

FtW Mike DIS Veteran

CarnesFamily welcome to the camping forum. Like Tigger92662 let me offer offer my congrats on DD adding you and yours to her family. Love that you are planning to devote some time to a particular attraction or destination to each member of your family
    Considering the ages of your children I would suggest (Only my opinion mind you) that you not try to full commando and tour parks rope drop to closing. You little one might need some nap time again just my opinion. That could be a good time to head back to campground and for dad and the boys to off and scout the CG.
    A good and well stocked first aid kit is a thing to stock. Some Sunscreen might come in handy too. Any and all meds needed are another good thing to have

9. CarnesFamily

Thanks! Yes we will hopefully build in some rest time. I love Epcot but can't go from Rope Drop to Illuminations so will will have to cut it short. We will be taking an afternoon break on our AK day so will can see Rivers of Light. I laughed when you said my little one may need a nap... She is the energizer bunny... she can go all day without ever seeming tired! Most nights I am asleep before her!

Ds4angels likes this.
  10. tripleb

tripleb Mouseketeer

Hey CarnesFamily, we will be there in May also but the opposite end of May as you. We camped there last October, our 1st time camping at the Fort, and had a blast. Like you, we had a schedule that didn't lend itself to really enjoying what the Fort has to offer. So, this May trip will be totally different. We intend to spend most of our time enjoying the Fort. Other than a couple of FP`s ... Flight of Passage and Soaring, our Fort adventure will be just relaxing and enjoying the Fort.

BTW, Falling Waters State park is nice ... hopefully, there will be or would have been enough rain for you to actually see water in the water fall :yay:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    CarnesFamily likes this.
  11. tripleb

tripleb Mouseketeer

Wow, it's been January since this thread has been touched. Don't know about the rest you the May campers but, I ready for our May dates to come along.

tigger92662 likes this.
  12. jandafortcampers

jandafortcampers Earning My Ears

Can't hardly wait for May, we head to the fort May 22 with some family members that have never been before. I would venture to say that they buy a camper when they return home. I'm going to do my best to show them how a real vacation is done.

tigger92662 and bama_ed like this.
  13. Glenn&Sharon

Glenn&Sharon Mouseketeer

We'll be there 5/11 - 17. I hope the snow melts off the RV soon so I can get started :)

tigger92662 likes this.
  14. Selliott82

Selliott82 Earning My Ears

We have a few of similarities with the CarnesFamily,

From Louisiana,
    First trip to the Fort,
    10+ disney vacations, On site hotel stays.. Normally stay at Port Orleans French quarter.
    Family goin 5 year old Son and 2 year old Daugter
    Wife and my Mother.

Will be at the Fort May 18th-26th

Really looking forward to the Fort experience, We camp 2-3 times a month year round . and love it. But curious to see what the Fort is about.
    We will have a 43ft 5th wheel and have a Premium site booked. Looking to be in the 600-700 loops.
    Stopping at Tallahassee rv on the way up. then on the return trip we are staying the weekend at Pensacola Beach RV.

Any insite would be great.

15. 2goofycampers

2goofycampers Sounds like something a camping trip could cure! Moderator

Welcome, Selliott82. Save time to enjoy the Fort. Check out the FAQ thread and ask us any questions you need help with.

16. iuki

iuki Mouseketeer

This will be our first time camping at FW. We’ll be there 5/14 and checking ou 5/18. This is on my bucket list. Thought I’d get this out of the way before Disney raises their prices beyond our reach. Lol.

Glenn&Sharon, bama_ed and 4077 like this.
  17. 2goofycampers

2goofycampers Sounds like something a camping trip could cure! Moderator

18. jandafortcampers

jandafortcampers Earning My Ears

Leaving Louisiana in twenty five day's and we are getting the camper ready. I have a new F-250 with the diesel in it and am looking forward to the drive. The wife has already got the chalk for the fort site. Come on May.

dummy, dalir, snowmedic and 1 other person like this.
  19. dalir

dalir Earning My Ears

We leave in 30 days. Well, sort of. DW & DD bought season tickets to Broadway in Atlanta just to get tickets to Hamilton, which falls on the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. So, instead of driving from Birmingham to Atlanta back to Birmingham, then off to The Fort, my plan is to haul the camper close to Atlanta and park at a Walmart (DD will have her car so I don't have to unhitch), go into town for the play, then get the camper and head south on I-75. Google says it should only take 13 minutes longer through Atlanta (I don't think Google fully understands Atlanta traffic). Our normal route from Birmingham gets us to the Ocala rest area in the middle of the night where stop for a few hours, then head in early the next morning. We should be able to follow that same plan, with a little extra sleep :).
    -Dave & Lisa

20. Ds4angels

Ds4angels DIS Veteran

2goofycampers likes this.
  21. garneska

garneska DIS Veteran

@dalir Google definitely does NOT understand Atlanta traffic. Good luck!

FtW Mike and Disneypeach like this.