May 18-21-06 Anyone traveling with toddlers?

GJM said:
What is everyone doing in the Bahamas, I'm thinking we may rent a room at Comfort Suites and go to Atlantis for the day. Me & DH have been there before, great place and I think DS may like the pools.

Is anyone staying the night before, I'm thinking of the Radison - not sure. I hate last minute planning, I'm a planner!
Joyce,
Most likely we will be staying on the ship in Nassau. We were just there in January, and because this is just a 3-day cruise, we won't have much time on the ship. There are tons of things I missed last cruise that I want to try this cruise. Atlantis sounds like great fun! If we are ever in Nassau again, that might be something we'd do when our youngest is older.

We are flying in the day before (since we are coming from the west coast). Between the time change and the 5 hr. flight, we lose almost a whole day. We will stay at the airport Hyatt again and then take the DCL bus to the port. Last time we stayed at the Hyatt, and then rented a car and stayed two nights in Cocoa Beach at the Hilton. I loved Cocoa Beach! It was a great little beach town, and so different than what we have here in CA. We almost stayed at the Radisson, but we changed to the Hilton because we were there for longer and the Hilton is right on the beach.

A poll of sorts:
Hey do you guys have early seating or late?
Are you dressing up for pirate night?
Are you going to Palo?
Have you started packing yet?
Which is more expensive... the vacation or the all the stuff you buy to go on vacation!?!

kstrib said:
A poll of sorts:
Hey do you guys have early seating or late?
Are you dressing up for pirate night?
Are you going to Palo?
Have you started packing yet?
Which is more expensive... the vacation or the all the stuff you buy to go on vacation!?!
We have late seating.
We won't be dressing up for pirate night this time, because.... (see next line)
We are going to Palo on Nassau (pirate) night.
Nope! Haven't started to pack yet.
Well, it sure feels like all the stuff we buy to go on vacation is more expensive :teeth:, however we are able to use a lot of the stuff over again for this vacation. SO, this time, this vacation is more expensive!!

Hi Kat,

We have early seating. I think 6pm. from what I was told.
No, we can't go to palos. We have 2 monsters ages 2 and 4.
We are doing pirate night sort off. I bought dh a mask at the local party store with neon earring and a plastic hook. he doesn't know it yet-but he's dressing up. He has a lot to make up for. LOL.
I am completely pack. YAY>>>>
I think that the things we purchased for vacation is just as much as the darn trip. I works well though-atleast we will have our summer shopping done. :)
I live by any excuse to go shopping.......hehe
how about you? Are you done?

My answers:
Are you dressing up for pirate night? DS is definitely dressing up. Dh and I have a few jewlery items and I'm looking for shirts. That'll be it.

Are you going to Palo? Nope. Couldn't see missing one of the nights at the restaurants (or a show or party) on our first cruise. On our second, or on a longer one I would definitely go.

Have you started packing yet? I have a pop-up hamper full of the stuff I don't want to forget. Other than that - it's in my head what I want to take. Ill pack sometime around the first week of May.

Which is more expensive... the vacation or the all the stuff you buy to go on vacation!?! I think it would be a toss up. I have spent a lot getting ready for the trip, I'm definitely using it as an excuse to buy more new clothes. It's "cruise wear, honey."

I'm certainly ready. I was looking at my calendar for the next few weeks and I'm definitely going to NEED a vacation. Boy - how did our lives get this busy?

I have a hold right now but i think I am going to book. The only thing is - I am going all by myself!!!! I went with my sister back in January as a last minute getaway and became friendly with the crew. Work's been crazy and I have over 40 vacation days .

Anyway - this will be my 4th cruise and I have gone both with and w/o kids - any questions - send them my way. Any adults interested in linking dinner let me know (as I have night ares about eating by myself).

How many days left?
S

fredms,
Good for you for traveling by yourself! I would totally do it if I had extra time but I know there are lots and lots of people out there that wouldn't dream of taking a trip solo.

This will be my 4th cruise as well, but first with DCL. I'm a little sad that we're only taking a 3 day but hey, it's better than nothing! And I bet we book on board for a future cruise. Since you went in January did you do any prebooking onboard? Or do you just wait to see what life brings your way and then book then?

Hey Kat-

I think of it as Henry David Thearu (On Walden Pond) like (although DCL is slightly more posh). Its taking a pretty hefty dose of my guts. It has the potential of being a very awesome trip and I think I am just going to take that chance.

Be prepared to be shocked and amazed at what a great job Disney does (although I haven't cruised with anyone else). Like an idiot who doesn't plan ahead, I did not rebook (never had the time). I am kicking myself now.

As far as the three day - it does go fast. I'd recommend staying on the ship in Nassau - otherwise you never get the chance to appreciate the boat and experience. Also, if your DS likes the clubs - I would recommend you rethinking not going to PALO (you could always double dip). Personally I would do it over Tritons. Nothing wrong with Tritons - its just not as special as PC or AP. (plus you could go to Tritons for breakfast or lunch).

fredms!
Glad that you're with us! When in January did you cruise? We were on the Jan 22, 4-night. You are quite "brave" going by yourself! However, it sounds wonderful. I would love to get away by myself. Once upon a time, I loved doing things alone--living alone, etc. But no more! Now I just have an occasional evening when the kids are in bed early and my husband has an evening meeting....

Karin - I got on when you got off. Did the three night with my sister. We had a blast. Appreciate your support regarding my cruising alone. If you see me in the corner crying, invite me to sit with you (just joking).

How many more days left - I actually have to book today or I will loose my hold. Still having jitters.

fredms said:
Karin - I got on when you got off. Did the three night with my sister. We had a blast. Appreciate your support regarding my cruising alone. If you see me in the corner crying, invite me to sit with you (just joking).

How many more days left - I actually have to book today or I will loose my hold. Still having jitters.
So did you book??! Because this is our anniversary cruise, I can't guarantee linking dining, esp without checking with my husband, but of course we wouldn't let you sit alone! Disney would seat you with others, though, right?? They may not be as nice as DISers, but you won't be alone. We are at Palo the second night, and hopefully I won't be sick again the first night. We have late seating--I'm sure you do too since you just booked. We requested our same servers from the last cruise, but who knows if they're still there or if Disney can arrange it.

That time of January when we cruised had beautiful weather! Did it continue for you? 80 degrees on CC!

No, like an idiot, I didn't book.

Regarding being alone, I am sure I'll be fine. The only thing I am little apprehensive about is walking on the ship and them announcing "Welcome Sheara! All by herself!" (that's my name - yes like the cartoon character).
And the other time is during dinner - but as you said I'll probably be with other people. Hopefully nice and if not I'll bring a book.

In Jan we had good weather - a little windy but altogether beautiful.

So how many days left?

Just my DW and I. No kids (ours is 21, anyway...) Celebrating our 25th anniversary...

N2DVD said:
Just my DW and I. No kids (ours is 21, anyway...) Celebrating our 25th anniversary...
Glad you're here! There's a few of us here who have cruised Disney before and can answer questions! We're also cruising without kids this time.

fredms said:
No, like an idiot, I didn't book.

Regarding being alone, I am sure I'll be fine. The only thing I am little apprehensive about is walking on the ship and them announcing "Welcome Sheara! All by herself!" (that's my name - yes like the cartoon character).
And the other time is during dinner - but as you said I'll probably be with other people. Hopefully nice and if not I'll bring a book.

In Jan we had good weather - a little windy but altogether beautiful.

So how many days left?
Sheara, did you book yet??! Maybe you can slip by and pretend you're with another family to spare yourself the "embarassment" of being announced! ;)

Not yet - but I have a category 7 on hold until 4/18 - last minute eh?

Good idea about sneaking in with another family - although not sure they'd be happy having me in their embarkation photo (hee hee).

Welcome aboard N2DVD. Is this your first Disney Cruise?

Sheara--I asked my husband last night how he wanted to handle dinners (requesting a table for two, getting the luck of the draw, OR linking with fellow DISers), and he and I agree that linking with fellow DISers is what we want to do. SO, when you book, PM me your reservation number, and I'll have my TA link them for us (she's very reliable). And if you want a particular rotation, let me know that too. (Just an FYI--we do have Palo reservations for the second night, so we won't be at dinner--bring your book! I also want to save room that night for the Pirate Night buffet, which we missed last time.)

AND for anyone else who has late dining: We would love to link dining with you too! So PM me your reservation numbers as well. We had an incredible time on our last cruise, as there were 18 DISers all at one big long table. :goodvibes

Hi All,

Karin,

Who should I make a table request to? Is it DCL? Can I do it now?
I will be requesting a table for 4..Don't want to take a chance with my girls. They are really not that bad, but the little one still has problems interacting with others. about 6 mths ago, we went on our 1st Disney World Trip. Every time a character approached her-she would cry bloody murder. How embarassing! Some old folks that were sitting next to me at crystal palace for dinner were angry-they didn't like the fact that Ally my 2 yr old kept crying when Eyore and Tigger approached her. I didn't care at the time, but when I got back to the hotel, I thought of a couple of things that I could have told the couple. What is it with people that don't have children? I remember being an anti-child teenager and still didn't mind a sreaming kid.
Now I have 2 dd-and I still don't mind the uneventful meltdowns. I just don't like when people look at me with judgemental eyes as if they could do better with a now 23 mth old and a hyper 4 yr old. That's the world for us.
My kids are diciplined, but they are still little ones. What can I do?
Just vent!

mamaof2 said:
Who should I make a table request to? Is it DCL? Can I do it now?
If you have a travel agent, you can have him/her request it. If you made the reservations yourself or through Disney, then you can call their 800 number. No matter what, I would double check once you get on the ship. On our January cruise, they took requested changes on the day of boarding at WaveBands from 1-3:30 pm.

Beautiful day in the poconos today. Hi 73 and sunny. Old man winter is going bye-bye.YAY. Karen, we made it to less than a month to cruising time.
I can't believe it. How is your dd feeling? She must be better by now-I hope.
My little girl is coming along just fine-with the occasional aches and pains.
Did you see the sunblock that comes in a spray can. It is spf 50. It's my 1st time seeing it-that's what I get for living in the boonies.
Did I mention that I am selling my house. It's a big thing for me. It's a lot of work.. Our closing is 3 weeks after our trip. We were not expecting to sell so soon-but it was unexpectedly on the market for only 22 days. That is a really good thing because there are over 900 homes in my city that are for sale. We are expecting to move back to Jersey. Raising the girls alone has been a challenge that will now become easier. My dh will be home early-my mom will be near enough to send the kids if needed be. It will all in all be a good move. I am so happy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter