March Break at the Yacht Club! - UPDATED 07/21

Here is a hideous picture of me, showing the drawstring bag I use on my trips. This one was made by a DIS member, Mickeystoontown. She has lots of custom fabrics and on most of her bags she stitches a mouseears pattern, but I asked for mine to be generic.

P1000403.jpg

The idea is if you carry/wear everything in (camera, waterbottle, sunglasses) and fold the drawstring bag and carry it in your pocket, you don't have a bag to check and you won't be bogged down at the bag check line. Then, once you are in the park, you can throw anything you no longer want to carry and you are now hands free.

Ah, now I gotcha!

Our evening plans took us to Epcot. One of our favourite places at Epcot is La Cava del Tequila. The problem with La Cava is that it is tiny so finding an available table is hit and miss, and on this night it was more of a miss. I was concerned about La Cava because I knew my husband had his hopes set high, so I was worried we wouldn’t get it. I let the worry get the better of me and I was a bit on edge that night. Sadly when we walked into Mexico it was clear that La Cava was full. I wanted to try out the boat ride so we decided to go for a ride and see if the crowds thinned out at all. The boat ride wasn’t working correctly so we had a bit of broken up ride which didn’t help my mood. When we got off the boat we went back to La Cava which was sadly still too full.

So, to come up with a dinner plan I started rattling off all the Epcot CS options I could think of, thanks to the wisdom of the DisBoards. By now we were all cranky enough that everything I mentioned was vetoed by someone and I was getting crankier by the minute and successfully transferring my cranky around. Eventually it seemed like we were best off going with some generic fast food so we settled for eating at the Liberty Inn in America. We were all pleasantly surprised by our meal and were in much better spirits having eaten some good food.

After supper we decided to head towards Test Track by taking a boat. We went to one of the boat docks and wound up headed towards Canada, so when we got off the boat we decided to walk over to Soarin. Along the way we saw this little guy hanging out on a light stand. He looked so cute sitting in the middle of the spotlight looking like he was the star of the show.

300_small.jpg

Sadly :sad1:, when we got to Soarin there was a 100 minute wait. Happily :goodvibes, a random man walked up to us and said he had three fast passes he wasn’t using so we were able walk right down the ramp and onto the ride. We loved the random act of kindness and the ride! We go on Soarin every trip but I always forget how enjoyable it is.

Next up was TT. My husband chose to sit and wait out front for us and my son and I chose to do the single ride line. The regular wait was 110 minutes, but the single line was listed as 20 minutes.

308_small.jpg

We were through the line and off the ride in less than 40 minutes total, which is much nicer than 110 minutes. TT is one of my favourite rides, but I really don’t like the queue. I find the queue area noisy and stressful, so I’m always voting for the single rider line. Most times when my son and I use the single rider line we still wind up in the same car, so it is definitely the way to go for us.

After TT the fireworks were on so we made our way through the crowds and headed out. My son went back to the room and my husband and I chose to walk along the Boardwalk and stopped for a pretzel and margarita from the Boardwalk stand. They had a few different margaritas and their premium version sounded good but I decided to save a couple of dollars and ordered a Boardwalk Margarita. I knew as soon as he started pouring I had made a mistake, but I tried to roll with it. It was a blue and red slushy concoction that I did not like. I was saddened by my poor drink choice but not to worry, we made much better drink choices in the coming days.

Back at the CL we stopped in for some desserts and I really loved the raspberry cheesecake, peanut butter mousse and a brownie. Soooo good.

We made it back to our room in time for the magic of Wishes to begin. Here is what makes the Standard View great. These pictures show our view of the Wishes fireworks. These were taken with my little point and shoot without any zoom. As you can see we had a perfectly acceptable view of wishes and this is why I loved our room view.

318_small.jpg

369_small.jpg

373_small.jpg

Well that is enough prattling on for one day. Next up, growth charts, better drink choices and ice cream.

Hi Janet!

I am also over here peeping at your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write all this. It is thoroughly entertaining!

Hi Janet.
I've found you thanks to the Beach Club thread:thumbsup2 Love your night-time view! Oh and I totally understand how "difficult" being a teenager is:rotfl: but bet you were glad to find your son tucked up in bed when you got back to your room:)
Looking forward to more!

Hi Janet!

I am also over here peeping at your trip report. Thanks for taking the time to write all this. It is thoroughly entertaining!

Welcome! Always happy to have a new reader. :)

Hi Janet.
I've found you thanks to the Beach Club thread:thumbsup2 Love your night-time view! Oh and I totally understand how "difficult" being a teenager is:rotfl: but bet you were glad to find your son tucked up in bed when you got back to your room:)
Looking forward to more!

Glad you found your way over. The teen years are a definite rollar coaster of fun, but I think we have it pretty easy. I knew there was a good chance that he would make it back to the room first, which is why we gave him unlimited time at the MK.

Great update!

Sorry to hear about the hunger-induced crankies. I am all too familiar with those.

Yeah on the pixie dust for Soarin' ! We love sharing extra FP when we have them, but we are always amazed at how difficult it is to give them away. First, you have to find the right number of people. Then you have to convince them you are not trying to scam them!

I totally agree with you about the TT line. UGH- light and sound overload. It really should be Test Track, sponsored by Excederin!

What is the deal with alcoholic bevvies? You can buy one and walk around EPCOT. You can buy one at Boardwalk and walk around there. But according to posts on the BC thread, you can't take one OUT of EPCOT and bring it to the resort area?

GREAT pictures of the fireworks from Wishes from your room!!! When did you realize you had that view?

In 2010, we saw Nightastic from our Standard View room at the Beach Club. I had no idea until the morning after our first night when Mark told me what he saw while I slept.

Just read through the entire TR and lovin' it. The bag tip is a good one. We have two kids and manage not taking a bag, but sometimes it would be nice to have one. I'll keep that tip..ahem....in my back pocket for next time. We do have several "growth" spots for pictures. I too love watching my family "mature" over the years. It is so funny to read everyone's explanation of Sci-fi. Everyone always says that the food isn't that great, but the atmosphere is. That is so true. You think they would improve the food. Looking foward to more updates!!

Great update!

GREAT pictures of the fireworks from Wishes from your room!!! When did you realize you had that view?

I realized we had the great view when the fireworks started. :) I had some hope for a fireworks view, but had no idea it would be that good.

We live on the 7th floor of a high rise and every fireworks holiday (Victoria Day in May, and Canada Day on July 1) I peer out our window with the hopes of seeing some of the major fireworks displays from the amusement park just north of the city. I know I won't really be able to see the fireworks but I never give up hope and I peer out hopeful to catch a tiny glimpse of the odd firework that goes higher than the rest.

I figured I'd be doing the same at Disney - stretching my neck out hoping to catch a few flickers over the trees. I was so surprised to see the entire show. Very nice view indeed!

Just read through the entire TR and lovin' it. The bag tip is a good one. We have two kids and manage not taking a bag, but sometimes it would be nice to have one. I'll keep that tip..ahem....in my back pocket for next time. We do have several "growth" spots for pictures. I too love watching my family "mature" over the years. It is so funny to read everyone's explanation of Sci-fi. Everyone always says that the food isn't that great, but the atmosphere is. That is so true. You think they would improve the food. Looking foward to more updates!!

Thanks for joining in and following along on my report! To be fair to Sci-Fi, the food is good, just not as good as some of the other restaurants at WDW.

Hi Janet, followed you over from the BC thread. Enjoying your report!

Thanks for helping me pass the time :hourglass until my trip!

Hi Janet, followed you over from the BC thread. Enjoying your report!

Thanks for helping me pass the time :hourglass until my trip!

Happy to have you following along.

At the rate I'm going with this report, I might just be done before you leave for your trip. :)

On Tuesday, our plans centred around Epcot. We decided to head over first thing in the morning. Here is a morning shot of the YC (what’s not to love, it really is a beautiful resort.)

377_small.jpg

On our way into Epcot, walking through the empty World Showcase, it was time to update our official growth chart. Here is my son through the years.

In 2004, 7 years old and happy to be at Disney and play in the phone booth, while posing for the camera.

2004phonebox.jpg

In 2007, 10 years old and more focused on the phone booth than mother’s wish for a photo.

2007phonebox.jpg

In 2010, 13 years old and willing to pose for a photo, but needing some control he insists on using a different phone booth.

2010phonebox.jpg

Also in 2010 when I begged and he finally returned to the original phone booth.

2010phonebox2.jpg

In 2012, 15 years old and barely able to tolerate the photo (but secretly willing) and showing his attitude by leaning against the phone booth and crossing his arms.

378_small.jpg

I love those photos!

We continued on our way heading towards Mission Space. Here are a couple of shots from along the way.

Donald and Daisy – Flower and Garden style

381_small.jpg

The drummers (I forget their name.) They are so good. They make it seem so effortless and easy, but they are clearly very talented.

383_small.jpg

And then, Mission Space. There was a 60 minute wait at 10 am.

385_small.jpg

My husband and I chose to skip this ride so we parked ourselves on a bench and watched the crowds. We saw a cute little Flower and Garden car.

387_small.jpg

I amused myself by taking pictures of the monorail. This is my favourite one.

391_small.jpg

When my son was done with Mission Space we headed over to The Land to pick up some Soarin fast passes for the evening.

While in The Land I wanted to go on the Living With the Land ride which we had never done before. It was great – not as action packed as most rides, but quite interesting. There as a 40-minute wait for the ride which I assume is excessive since they had to extend the queue line beyond the permanent posts.

Here are some shots from Living With the Land.

393_small.jpg

401_small.jpg

398_small.jpg

403_small.jpg

405_small.jpg

After riding through the Land, we parted ways and my son went back to the room and my husband and I went off in search of one of the highlights of the trip.

407_small.jpg

OMG the Grey Goose Slushies from France are amazing!

413_small.jpg

After the refreshments we headed back to the YC by boat this time, just to enjoy the ride.

421_small.jpg

426_small.jpg

428_small.jpg

441_small.jpg

Off the boat, we headed up to the room to get our son for our lunch plans at Beaches and Cream. I loved this place! I don’t remember what time we arrived, but we didn’t have to wait long to get in. We took three seats at the counter.

443_small.jpg

444_small.jpg

They asked if we were there for lunch and ice cream, or just ice cream. We said that we just wanted lunch. While we do love ice cream, we don’t usually have dessert with our meals and the thought of a big meal plus a big dish of ice cream was a bit much. I did have a float with our meal and my son had a milkshake, but we were really there for the burgers that day – and the burgers were wonderful.

While we were eating a few corporately dressed people came in from the back and were milling around behind the counter, generally underfoot. It gave us something to watch while we ate our food. We also saw someone get the Kitchen Sink and someone else was celebrating a birthday so it was a fun-filled meal with lots to see.

After we finished eating our waitress kept asking us if we wanted dessert and we kept declining so she brought us our bill and we paid and were just about to leave when one of the suit-wearing men from behind the counter comes us and says “hello, we are training some new people today, so here is a treat for you” and he plunks down a No Way Jose in front of us.

446_small.jpg

We were so surprised and it was soooo good. My son isn’t much of a dessert eater (I can’t even begin to understand or explain that) so while he tried a spoonful, it was my husband and I who polished off this wonderful creation. You can see in the (poorly composed) picture that the whip cream on top of the sundae wasn’t perfect, but we didn’t care, it was still an amazing taste experience.

Well just looking at that picture makes me full, so that is enough prattling on for one day. Next up, an evening at Epcot.

Loved seeing the pictures of your son in the phone booth. Great way to see how much he's grown by what window pane he is up to! Handsome young man he is. Love how relaxed your visit is. I am looking forward to getting a grand manier slushie in September.

Loved seeing the pictures of your son in the phone booth. Great way to see how much he's grown by what window pane he is up to! Handsome young man he is. Love how relaxed your visit is. I am looking forward to getting a grand manier slushie in September.

Thanks for the compliment on my son. We think he's a keeper.

We love taking it easy at Disney. People always look at me strange when I tell them we stay on site because we aren't big amusement park people and we don't like crowds. They don't understand even when I try to explain that by staying on site we don't have to worry about anything and we can go to the parks for as little or as long as we like.

Here's hoping the time between now and your slushie flies by fast!

Beautiful pictures of the Yacht Club from your morning. What an amazingly blue sky! Also loving the monorail picture and the before and after GGS photos.

Great shots of your son in the phone booth! I love that these are gauges of his size AND attitude!

Next time, call him and tell him to stand up straight!

Phone numbers for booths in United Kingdom

Right Booth 407-827-9861
Left Booth 407-827-9862
Center Booth 407-827-9863

Mmm- does you sundae look yummy? Yes Way Jose! As I have mentioned before on the BC thread, I have never had a hamburger or ice cream at Beaches & Cream

:duck: as a whole can of whipped cream is tossed at my head

Janet-love the phone booth growth chart pics:thumbsup2

Lovely yacht club pics & so agree with the yummy burgers at B&C!

And you call yourself Beach Club Dee! :sad2:

:rotfl::rotfl:

Love all your pics! Isnt it amazing how fast boys grow! Sounds like you are having alot of fun:)
People who havent stayed onsite or at WDW really dont "get it":confused3 We've been visiting most years since 1993 and I'm constantly asked "WHY?" or "wouldn't you rather go somewhere else?" Try as I might to explain, I just get blank looks which is fine-leaves more room for the rest of us:rotfl:

I love the pictures of Yacht Club! Such a beautiful resort, I'm looking forward to checking it out myself in a just a few weeks.

Did your son enjoy Mission Space? At some point I will have to experience this ride and I'm not really looking forward to it. What does he think of the ride? I guess it didn't make him ill so that's a plus.

Loving your latest installment! And I can't believe the wait times compared to what we experienced... WOW!

Love the pictures, especially of your DS. How great that you remembered to take them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!