March 90s Nite and Skywalker Ranch! UPDATE 7/14 TR COMPLETE

OhioStateBuckeye

DIS Veteran
It's been a while since I've done a trip report.

I decided to start writing a pre-trip report about a trip to Disneyland in March for 90s Nite and Skywalker Ranch.

I've also added details about my D23 in this report, though I think I might change that over to it's own pre-trip report to avoid confusion in this one.

So if you were following along for D23, that will now be in it's own, separate report.

I'm pretty excited about these two upcoming trips so I thought I'd write a big report for both of them. You know, keep the fun going.

The main actors will be me. 30 something, just moved from Austin to Kansas City (don't really like it, except the amazing DISboards group of people we hang out with once a month). Right now I'm a contractor for the government but I'm very excited to have just received an exceptionally nice rejection letter from Universal Creative. It really was great. I'd applied for two jobs with them, I got a rejection email from one of the jobs right away that basically said thanks but no thanks. This second one took months, and when I finally got it they said it was a pleasure to read my resume and it was a hard choice but they were going to keep my resume on file. It's the little things in life, right?

My boyfriend of 15ish years if the other participant. He just recently got into grad school for welding engineer.

First trip March 4-10. We will fly into San Francisco to visit our friend who works for Lucasfilm. She is going to get us into Skywalker Ranch. We both have a birthday on March 2 so it's going to be our big birthday extravaganza.

From there we'll fly to Disneyland for the rest of the trip. Thanks to a Natural Foods convention, hotel availability was super low :( We're at the DL Drive Super 8. We stayed there before and it wasn't our favorite. We're debating staying a bit farther away and just ubering in.

We're talking about going to Universal for one day, and we got our tickets to Disneyland After Dark's 90's Nite, which I'm very excited about.

after dark.jpg

I'm also happy to say we just got our DL tickets today and were able to get the $10 Max Pass price, which just went up to $15. But looks like Disney was slow on updating the website (I know, everyone is surprised about that).

Second trip D23 in August. For this one we'll be staying with our good Austin DISboards friend @soniam

We don't have too many details worked out for this trip yet. I think I might be running low on PTO from work at this time of the year, so I'm not even exactly sure how many days we can swing.

I just really had to go to D23 again, we went last year and I had so much fun. If I had to pick a top memory from 2017's expo it would be hearing, in person, Richard Sherman play 'Feed the Birds' on a piano.

mickeyd23.jpg

So those are the trip intros! More later. Please join in if you want to help me plan out the trips.

Last edited:
Sounds like lots of fun, especially the Skywalker Ranch part! If you do stay at the Super 8 again, don't forget that you can walk to/from the M&F tram -- straight down Disneyland Dr. to Magic Way, then cross and go right into the tram lot. Maybe 10 minutes max, depending on the signals? And bag check at M&F almost always goes super quick, even if it looks like there is a line. (During peak times, they take the line in large groups, so you might think the line isn't moving, but it will move pretty quickly.) Saves on Uber fare which you can easily spend on other things in the parks! (And don't forget phone battery back up this trip!)

Yeah, a trip! California sounds fun. I have really been wanting to go to Universal Hollywood. Yeah for getting a nice rejection letter! It is totally the little things somedays.

How fun to have two trips in the works! My daughter and I will be there for 90s night too! We've never done an after hours event so we're pretty excited. We've never been in March either, hopefully it won't be too cold that night!

Sounds like lots of fun, especially the Skywalker Ranch part! If you do stay at the Super 8 again, don't forget that you can walk to/from the M&F tram -- straight down Disneyland Dr. to Magic Way, then cross and go right into the tram lot. Maybe 10 minutes max, depending on the signals? And bag check at M&F almost always goes super quick, even if it looks like there is a line. (During peak times, they take the line in large groups, so you might think the line isn't moving, but it will move pretty quickly.) Saves on Uber fare which you can easily spend on other things in the parks! (And don't forget phone battery back up this trip!)

I think we figured out that walk the last day. But to be honest I remember being very put off by the tram to get us to the parking garage. It was very busy that night and there weren't clear queue lines and it was just a massive surge of people pushing to get on.

Oh yes, the phone battery is definitely coming.

Yeah, a trip! California sounds fun. I have really been wanting to go to Universal Hollywood. Yeah for getting a nice rejection letter! It is totally the little things somedays.

The letter gave me a bit of hope, haha.

I'm still not sure if we'll do Universal. It's definitely on the list. We were thinking of Knott's, but I was disappointed when I went to the website and didn't see too many dark rides left.

How fun to have two trips in the works! My daughter and I will be there for 90s night too! We've never done an after hours event so we're pretty excited. We've never been in March either, hopefully it won't be too cold that night!

I've never done a DL after hours event either! I was a bit nervous that it sold out but Pete on the podcast said he went to a sold out party in 2018 and it still seemed pretty empty. I hope it's the same way this time.

I think we went once in March a while ago, and it really did get chilly at night. I think the most important thing for that is to bring a hat, hats always make me feel so much warmer than any other warm clothing item.

So today its snowing pretty hard in Kansas City. Probably have close to a foot and it's supposed to keep snowing all day.

I was trying to find a good rental car. It kind of makes sense, I think Super Shuttle for both of us to get there and return to LAX will be close to $80, we might be going to Universal or Mickey's of Glendale. Super 8 has free parking, though I'm still not sure if I don't want to save money on a hotel and stay a bit further out and just uber in for about $15 each way. Right now I'm paying about $170 a night for the Super 8 and I don't feel great doing that.

We have our tickets to 90s Nite and to the parks.

We have 2 of our flights, we still need our flight from San Fran to LAX.

We have a hotel booked but i dunno if we're staying with it.

And we're looking into rental car.

So almost have all the essentials covered.

The snow outside today is making me pretty excited for this trip.

sirius.jpg

I'm still not sure if we'll do Universal. It's definitely on the list. We were thinking of Knott's, but I was disappointed when I went to the website and didn't see too many dark rides left.

Knott's sounds really cool too. I think my family and I are going to have to do a week out there sometime, because I really want to hit Knott's and Universal Hollywood. I never did Knott's as a kid, so luckily, I don't have any expectations. Heck, Disney are about the only people with dark rides anymore, and I don't see too many new ones being built anytime soon.

All I have to say about the snow is YUCK!!!! We got cold today here in Austin when it was in the 60s and breezy:rotfl2:

Check Mousesavers.com for deals/coupon codes for rental cars for your dates. Costco has great deals for rental cars, too, if you are a member.
And the trick for not getting caught in the scrimmage for the return trip on the M&F tram is:
1) Don't try to return with the masses right after fireworks or after any mass exit from the parks. Wait a bit, go to Starbucks, get an ice cream, do some shopping, etc. Then get in line for the tram. This is the same philosophy as leaving the F! area after a show. Wait for the hordes to make their way out first -- then leave.
2) Don't get in one of the lines closest to the parks/fountain. Go to the the farthest lines, back toward the Naples patio. Everyone else will get in the first lines they see. Keep walking and looking for the less packed lines. Makes things much easier, especially you've read trick 1.

Last edited:
In case anyone is wondering, we used AutoSlash to find a car. You have to enter your email and their search algorithm finds you the best rates for your dates and then you get an email.

We always use Southwest for our US flights. You can take up to two checked bags for free, and you can change your flight at no cost. We weren't entirely solid on our dates for this trip but I wanted to get a flight on the books just in case. So I booked with Southwest. We ended up keeping our dates, but if we hadn't, I could have called Southwest or gone on the website and cancelled my flight. Once you cancel, you don't get your money back but you get a Southwest credit for the value and you must use that within a year. I also check my flights each morning, and if they go down I can cancel them, rebook, and use the difference in costs as a credit for a future flight.

Now I'm onto dining reservations.

I know they're not always needed at DL, but I have a couple high profile ones I want to book.

I booked a Lamplight Lounge for Saturday night at 8:15. I was curious to try out the view of WOC from Lamplight. Though, I guess this all depends on whether WOC is back by early March. Also, if WOC is back, I might be interested in the sit down dessert party.

I want to try to get a Plaza Inn character breakfast reservation for before park opening one day. Storyteller's used to be my favorite character breakfast, but now that they've changed up the characters and don't have anybody rare, I'm not as interested. Though I did enjoy the food there a whole lot more than Plaza Inn.

I'm undecided on booking Blue Bayou. I usually like to book for 11 am start of lunch and request a water table because I'm obsessed, so obsessed, with the view. The meal is just so expensive though, and I'm unsure if I want to do that again this trip or if I should try something else. Maybe Carthay Circle or Wine Country Trattoria (never ate there).

I think those will be the only sit down reservations I make.

I know they're not always needed at DL, but I have a couple high profile ones I want to book.

I booked a Lamplight Lounge for Saturday night at 8:15. I was curious to try out the view of WOC from Lamplight. Though, I guess this all depends on whether WOC is back by early March. Also, if WOC is back, I might be interested in the sit down dessert party.

I want to try to get a Plaza Inn character breakfast reservation for before park opening one day. Storyteller's used to be my favorite character breakfast, but now that they've changed up the characters and don't have anybody rare, I'm not as interested. Though I did enjoy the food there a whole lot more than Plaza Inn.

I'm undecided on booking Blue Bayou. I usually like to book for 11 am start of lunch and request a water table because I'm obsessed, so obsessed, with the view. The meal is just so expensive though, and I'm unsure if I want to do that again this trip or if I should try something else. Maybe Carthay Circle or Wine Country Trattoria (never ate there).

Go for Carthay Circle. The food is so good. We did Blue Bayou this summer. The food was fine. The view wasn't great, since we were far from the water. Also, the wait stuff was kind of rude, not accommodating, and tried to rush us out. There are other places that I want to try out first before going back there.

i'm on the fence about Blue Bayou too. I love it in there but the food is so over-priced. But I usually regret not going. So there ya go.

We ate at WCT on our last trip and I was not impressed, and I'm pretty easy to impress! It just tasted very frozen dinner-y. It's such a nice spot I really wanted to like it!

oh! And I love your snow picture! We live in the Pacific Northwest now and rarely get snow where we're at. I miss complaining about the snow! :-)

Go for Carthay Circle. The food is so good. We did Blue Bayou this summer. The food was fine. The view wasn't great, since we were far from the water. Also, the wait stuff was kind of rude, not accommodating, and tried to rush us out. There are other places that I want to try out first before going back there.

I think Blue Bayou is out :( I'm kind of sad about it because I love that view but I guess I'll get over it.

i'm on the fence about Blue Bayou too. I love it in there but the food is so over-priced. But I usually regret not going. So there ya go.

We ate at WCT on our last trip and I was not impressed, and I'm pretty easy to impress! It just tasted very frozen dinner-y. It's such a nice spot I really wanted to like it!

oh! And I love your snow picture! We live in the Pacific Northwest now and rarely get snow where we're at. I miss complaining about the snow! :-)

I probably will regret not going, but I tried to finalize my schedule today and I didn't make any Blue Bayou reservations.

Hmm, after you said that about WCT I looked up some other reviews and not a lot of people seem too impressed. I think we'll drop that one.

The snow is nice when you don't have anywhere you have to be. At least that snow was accommodating and happened on the weekend. But snow is terrible if you have to go to work.

I think I about have my schedule finalized:

3/4 Monday: Fly to San Francisco 11:35 pm arrival

Not a great arrival time, but at least this way I can do a full day's work and use less vacation days.

3/5 Tuesday: Skywalker Ranch

I guess this probably won't take the whole day. If we have time we might do hiking in the forest near the Golden Gate Bridge.

3/6 Wednesday: Fly to LAX 6:25-7:55. First park day.

We finally found a good hotel deal through my work's corp discount. I booked the La Quinta baout 5 miles away. We are just going to suck it up and pay for ubers. I really don't like the Super 8 on Disneyland Drive very much and it was going to be $700. The La Quinta, which will be much nicer, will only cost $430.

We might go to Trader Vic’s which has a Happy Hour Wednesday-Friday 4-6 pm. I love tiki bars.

3/7 Thursday: Jazz Kitchen lunch? Imagineering, 90s Nite 6 pm

Our very nice cast members friends are going to take us to Mickey's of Glendale for some shopping. We also might do Jazz Kitchen depending on what time Mickey's of Glendale happens.

I think we can get into 90s nite at 6 pm? I need to figure that out.

3/8 Friday: character breakfast

So Disney has 4 character breakfasts: Goofy's, Donald's Surf thing, Plaza Inn and Storyteller's. So far we've eliminated Goofy's. I'm not pleased at the Storyteller's character changes, but the food is definitely the best there.

3/9 Saturday: EMH entry Lamplight Lounge 8:45 pm

Lamplight is schedule for this time in case WOC comes back, we can see if it's any good watching from there.

3/10 Sunday: Carthay Circle lunch Fly from LAX to Kansas City 8:35-1:45 am

I think I about have my schedule finalized:

3/4 Monday: Fly to San Francisco 11:35 pm arrival

Not a great arrival time, but at least this way I can do a full day's work and use less vacation days.

3/5 Tuesday: Skywalker Ranch

I guess this probably won't take the whole day. If we have time we might do hiking in the forest near the Golden Gate Bridge.

3/6 Wednesday: Fly to LAX 6:25-7:55. First park day.

We finally found a good hotel deal through my work's corp discount. I booked the La Quinta baout 5 miles away. We are just going to suck it up and pay for ubers. I really don't like the Super 8 on Disneyland Drive very much and it was going to be $700. The La Quinta, which will be much nicer, will only cost $430.

We might go to Trader Vic’s which has a Happy Hour Wednesday-Friday 4-6 pm. I love tiki bars.

3/7 Thursday: Jazz Kitchen lunch? Imagineering, 90s Nite 6 pm

Our very nice cast members friends are going to take us to Mickey's of Glendale for some shopping. We also might do Jazz Kitchen depending on what time Mickey's of Glendale happens.

I think we can get into 90s nite at 6 pm? I need to figure that out.

3/8 Friday: character breakfast

So Disney has 4 character breakfasts: Goofy's, Donald's Surf thing, Plaza Inn and Storyteller's. So far we've eliminated Goofy's. I'm not pleased at the Storyteller's character changes, but the food is definitely the best there.

3/9 Saturday: EMH entry Lamplight Lounge 8:45 pm

Lamplight is schedule for this time in case WOC comes back, we can see if it's any good watching from there.

3/10 Sunday: Carthay Circle lunch Fly from LAX to Kansas City 8:35-1:45 am

We loved the Trader Vic's in Emeryville. I would go there way too often if I lived near one. I think Jazz Kitchen, Lamplight, and Carthay sound really good. Can't wait to get back to Disneyland in August.

We loved the Trader Vic's in Emeryville. I would go there way too often if I lived near one. I think Jazz Kitchen, Lamplight, and Carthay sound really good. Can't wait to get back to Disneyland in August.

Pretty soon it'll be time to start planning for d23!!

except the amazing DISboards group of people we hang out with once a month
Well shucks
heart eyes.gif

I finally got it they said it was a pleasure to read my resume and it was a hard choice but they were going to keep my resume on file
That's the most promising rejection I've ever heard.

Thanks to a Natural Foods convention, hotel availability was super low
DARN YOU Natural Foods!!

we got our tickets to Disneyland After Dark's 90's Nite, which I'm very excited abou
This sounds like sooo much fun. Can't wait to hear how it goes and see pictures.

but at least this way I can do a full day's work and use less vacation days
I'm all about this!! Who needs sleep anyway?

Wow, much better deal! And at only 5 miles away the Ubers shouldn't cost too much, either.

Fun side story about Skywalker Ranch- we were just had DHS with some friends and they saw at the Launch Bay that they sell some of the wine from Skywalker Ranch. Our friends didn't know what it was so they thought it was just made up and probably didn't taste very good. Thanks to you, I was able to tell them that they were WRONG (one of my favorite things to do, according to Jon) and that it's actually a very beautiful area not too far from wine country so it's probably actually pretty tasty. So I appreciate being able to use your experience to prove a point.

I'm following on! Loving your plans. We did Lamplight and Jazz Kitchen and loved them both. We used Ubers in LA. The cheapest and best way to get around.

How exciting to be able to go to Skywalker Ranch with someone who works there! San Francisco is a city I would love to visit again. We went there in 2009.

I'm jealous of your snow. We are having heat wave conditions here in Australia and I miss our time in Canada.

Looking forward to following your adventures :)

Well shucks
View attachment 377492

That's the most promising rejection I've ever heard.

DARN YOU Natural Foods!!

This sounds like sooo much fun. Can't wait to hear how it goes and see pictures.

I'm all about this!! Who needs sleep anyway?

Wow, much better deal! And at only 5 miles away the Ubers shouldn't cost too much, either.

Fun side story about Skywalker Ranch- we were just had DHS with some friends and they saw at the Launch Bay that they sell some of the wine from Skywalker Ranch. Our friends didn't know what it was so they thought it was just made up and probably didn't taste very good. Thanks to you, I was able to tell them that they were WRONG (one of my favorite things to do, according to Jon) and that it's actually a very beautiful area not too far from wine country so it's probably actually pretty tasty. So I appreciate being able to use your experience to prove a point.

Welcome back from ignore Ann! I dunno, I hate DISing on my phone, what can I say.

It really was a rejection that gave me hope. I've never had one like that before. I need to move to Orlando like, yesterday.

I am pretty mad at Natural Foods. Gonna be sure to eat something out of a box in spite.

I'm very glad we were able to team up and do our favorite things of being a know it all (me) and telling people they're wrong (you).

I'm following on! Loving your plans. We did Lamplight and Jazz Kitchen and loved them both. We used Ubers in LA. The cheapest and best way to get around.

How exciting to be able to go to Skywalker Ranch with someone who works there! San Francisco is a city I would love to visit again. We went there in 2009.

I'm jealous of your snow. We are having heat wave conditions here in Australia and I miss our time in Canada.

Looking forward to following your adventures :)

Eh you might think you're jealous of the snow but when you have to drive to work and get around in it and your state sucks at snow removal the novelty wears off very quick.

I am pretty excited about all of our restaurants. We went to Lamplight right after it opens and my boyfriend still dreams about the Ratatouille.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts