Marathon Weekend 2023

Disney has announced the last operating day for Splash Mountain in its current form will be January 22nd! It closes the 23rd for the Tiana Bayou Adventure transformation, reopening sometime in late 2024. Looks like we'll have time for one last ride on Splash during Marathon Weekend!

Disney has announced the last operating day for Splash Mountain in its current form will be January 22nd! It closes the 23rd for the Tiana Bayou Adventure transformation, reopening sometime in late 2024. Looks like we'll have time for one last ride on Splash during Marathon Weekend!
Excellent - glad we can ride it in January... and excited for the update!

I’ve been seeing friends and Internet strangers comment on riding Splash in Jan all day and as a cold-averse Floridian it makes me chuckle… I won’t ride that one unless the outdoor temp is at least 90 - she’s a summer ride, no matter the theme, lol!
Coming from the snowy north....I've never ridden Splash and I don't know that I will. Not interested in getting soaked (or wet at all really) during a park day. Maybe we will go this year if it's really cold and they have the water turned waaaay down. 🤣 We're switching from the GF/Poly during one of our park days, so a change of clothes could be VERY nearby if needed.

I don't love Splash but it's DH's favorite, so I've developed lots of techniques. It's honestly pretty easy to stay dry on Splash in colder temps. They have various features they can and do turn off when it isn't hot, so the only real risk is the big hill. If you're in the first row, you can duck, so really the only risk is the second row of the boat. Just ask to sit in one of the back two rows and you should be okay. And I I've also been known to put a poncho on the seat before I sit down.

I don't love Splash but it's DH's favorite, so I've developed lots of techniques. It's honestly pretty easy to stay dry on Splash in colder temps. They have various features they can and do turn off when it isn't hot, so the only real risk is the big hill. If you're in the first row, you can duck, so really the only risk is the second row of the boat. Just ask to sit in one of the back two rows and you should be okay. And I I've also been known to put a poncho on the seat before I sit down.
I never really liked Splash Mountain and as I got older, I quit going on it. I just don't like the feeling of that quick drop and my stomach meeting my throat. I avoid ToT for the same reason, but give me all of the roller coasters.

Can someone help me feel better about the marathon medal? Every time I look at it I feel sad lol. I hate the big 30. I wish they had done something like this (inspired by DLP) if they were that insistent on incorporating the 30. That way it also looks like Mickey ears:

View attachment 722739
I can't stand the garish look of this "special" anniversary medal. In fact, I wrote to runDisney when they initially released the artwork for the retro theming and begged them to not have that artwork on the anniversary medal. This was the exact opposite of what I had in mind for this medal. Nonetheless, keep in mind that after running 26.2 miles you will be happy about anything that they hang around your neck. You're not running just for the medal but for the entirety of the experience, right?

Can someone help me feel better about the marathon medal? Every time I look at it I feel sad lol. I hate the big 30. I wish they had done something like this (inspired by DLP) if they were that insistent on incorporating the 30. That way it also looks like Mickey ears:

View attachment 722739
That's a cool design! ... but I'm kinda "meh" on medals overall - they just end up in a shoebox with all the rest, LOL

I can't help you feel better about the medal. We can hold out hope for a really cool ear hat for finishers, right?!

View attachment 722739
I can’t help you feel better about it, since I also hate it, but I’ve told myself that after running my first marathon, my opinion of the medal will likely change. I actually wish they hadn’t previewed it, since I think everyone opinion of it would actually be very different if the first time they saw it was at the finish line

Do we get our bib numbers and/or starting groups at the same time the event guide comes out?

Nope, you used to be able to find that on the waiver, but now with digital waivers you don't get your bib number or starting group until you get the physical bib.

ETA: I do think maybe some folks got their bib number from runner tracking when it went live? (I ran the 5K for the last three races so no tracking.) From the bib numbers there will be a guess as to the ranges that will be in each starting group based on previous years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter