Marathon Weekend 2023

Disney has announced the last operating day for Splash Mountain in its current form will be January 22nd! It closes the 23rd for the Tiana Bayou Adventure transformation, reopening sometime in late 2024. Looks like we'll have time for one last ride on Splash during Marathon Weekend!
Rip Uncle Remus. As a child I loved that man. Will miss the memories

I'm having to incorporate an indoor bike as I'm carefully monitoring the onset of plantar fasciitis (or at minimum a strained arch) that happened 2 weeks ago. It's feeling much better but I want to be mindful during these last weeks heading into Dopey.

When biking- do I bike for a time equivalent to running miles or overall mileage? The interwebs say 1:3 which is what I've done but I want to be sure that's getting me where I need to be training wise... as much as it can since running and biking aren't the same. For example, I had a 4-mile easy run today on my plan so I cycled for 12 miles. The 4 mile run would take me 1 hour but the bike ride took me 40 minutes.

So I guess my question is- should I have continued biking for the hour and not worried about the mileage to have the equivalent time that the plan called for?

Will there still be an actual stand-in-line, real-person queue for merchandise as well, or only the virtual queue for day one?

I'm trying to decide the best approach to get my bib and hopefully some Dopey merch on day one without missing a lot of park time.
The VQ is ONLY for day 1. So you could just go get your bib first thing (be prepared for a line for bib pickup since people will be waiting around for their VQ) and then come back later or at a later day for merch if you wanted too take your chances with the amount of stock.

I think if you go check the W&D thread you'll get better specifics, but I *think* I remember reading that by around 2:00 (possibly later) that the VQ wasn't needed and you would queue/walk right in. The VQ works by you showing up within 2 hours of your group gets called and then you queue in the "holding" room because they are controlling capacity inside the merch area.

There were definitely some complaints about that since there were apparently some people who basically set up camp once they got in with piles of stuff (re-sellers?) or taking pics of a bunch of stuff and then being on their phone a ton (getting stuff for friends? or also re-sellers seeing how much stuff they could sell before they actually bought it?) that some people felt like was holding up the line for those who had been called and were waiting in the holding room. I saw reports of people waiting in there for 30-40min.

The VQ is ONLY for day 1. So you could just go get your bib first thing (be prepared for a line for bib pickup since people will be waiting around for their VQ) and then come back later or at a later day for merch if you wanted too take your chances with the amount of stock.

I think if you go check the W&D thread you'll get better specifics, but I *think* I remember reading that by around 2:00 (possibly later) that the VQ wasn't needed and you would queue/walk right in. The VQ works by you showing up within 2 hours of your group gets called and then you queue in the "holding" room because they are controlling capacity inside the merch area.

There were definitely some complaints about that since there were apparently some people who basically set up camp once they got in with piles of stuff (re-sellers?) or taking pics of a bunch of stuff and then being on their phone a ton (getting stuff for friends? or also re-sellers seeing how much stuff they could sell before they actually bought it?) that some people felt like was holding up the line for those who had been called and were waiting in the holding room. I saw reports of people waiting in there for 30-40min.

runDisney just needs to implement a rule that in order to get into the merch area, people need their bib and their ID, and the names have to match. Then they can only buy stuff that matches the race on the bib, limit 1 per item). I'm still trying to figure out what to do with challenges.

I'm having to incorporate an indoor bike as I'm carefully monitoring the onset of plantar fasciitis (or at minimum a strained arch) that happened 2 weeks ago. It's feeling much better but I want to be mindful during these last weeks heading into Dopey.

When biking- do I bike for a time equivalent to running miles or overall mileage? The interwebs say 1:3 which is what I've done but I want to be sure that's getting me where I need to be training wise... as much as it can since running and biking aren't the same. For example, I had a 4-mile easy run today on my plan so I cycled for 12 miles. The 4 mile run would take me 1 hour but the bike ride took me 40 minutes.

So I guess my question is- should I have continued biking for the hour and not worried about the mileage to have the equivalent time that the plan called for?
When trying to use cycling instead of running, it’s better to track the time than the mileage. You’re after the training load of time, not the load from miles.

This really isn't a surprise. The VQ worked pretty well for Wine and Dine, particularly considering it was the first time that they've had it for the Expo - and considering how much people were freaking out in advance. I loved it because I was able to get my VQ # (41), get in a couple hours of prime park time, and then head over to the Expo. It was soooooo much better than what it used to be.

There was a line in the holding area at the beginning, but I think that Disney got better at estimating how long each VQ group was going to take as the day went on. It also help A LOT that the merch was very well stocked. Also, I heard an Expo vendor that was very, very, VERY happy with the VQ because fewer people ran in, grabbed their shirts, and ran over to the Disney merch. Instead people stayed and shopped with them. And since most of the Expo vendors are small businesses, that's a great thing, IMHO.

To everyone who hasn't used the VQ before, do NOT freak out over it. It's fine - really.

Do we get our bib numbers and/or starting groups at the same time the event guide comes out?

Nope, you used to be able to find that on the waiver, but now with digital waivers you don't get your bib number or starting group until you get the physical bib.

ETA: I do think maybe some folks got their bib number from runner tracking when it went live? (I ran the 5K for the last three races so no tracking.) From the bib numbers there will be a guess as to the ranges that will be in each starting group based on previous years.

Actually, post-pandemic the bib number has been on the expo pass that was sent out a few days before the event. It doesn't help though because we have no guide to show us the start corral for the number.

The expo pass is emailed to show proof of a signed waiver, and although I’ve seen some people say the volunteers don’t ask to see it, I have always shown mine, AND you have to know your bib number that’s on it to know which line to stand in at bib pick up!

The VQ was super annoying at W&D. I was hoping that VQ would negatively impact merch sales and Disney wouldn't do it again. Guess not!

There is still a ton of W&D merch on eBay. I hope resellers lost money and it will dissuade them in the future.

If they do VQ for Princess, I'm curious how they will handle the preorder merch pickup on the first day. If I just want to get what I've already paid for, I would hope a VQ entry isn't needed.

This really isn't a surprise. The VQ worked pretty well for Wine and Dine, particularly considering it was the first time that they've had it for the Expo - and considering how much people were freaking out in advance.

It did work pretty well, though it did create longer-than-usual lines for bib pickup later into the day. I had club access but my step-dad had to do VQ, and his number was called early afternoon. Normally when we go that time of day, there is no wait for bib pick-up, but he waited about 30 minutes to get his. Not sure how long into the day that went, because not long after his window, they were just letting folks into the merch area without checking VQs. But plan for a little extra time for bib pick-up if you're going before maybe 2pm on day one.

Actually, post-pandemic the bib number has been on the expo pass that was sent out a few days before the event.

Thanks for that -- I forgot all about the expo pass!

Re: VQ. I just want to be able to go when I want to go. I don’t usually buy merch, but I walk through and see if anything catches my eye. And with this being my first/only dopey, I probably will buy something this year. But, I want to plan my day the way I want to. Even a 2 hr window could really throw a wrench in that. What if it doesn’t go to walk up at 2pm? I just hate that I can’t have anything be at my convenience anymore with Disney. Dining reservations opens later, park reservations required so last minute decisions are impossible, genie +/ILL. Now VQ at a location that takes 45 mins at least to get to if you are at a park. I’m usually someone who rolls with changes pretty easily, but it just feels like all these little things are changing the experience in a way i don’t love.

Re: VQ. I just want to be able to go when I want to go. I don’t usually buy merch, but I walk through and see if anything catches my eye. And with this being my first/only dopey, I probably will buy something this year. But, I want to plan my day the way I want to. Even a 2 hr window could really throw a wrench in that. What if it doesn’t go to walk up at 2pm? I just hate that I can’t have anything be at my convenience anymore with Disney. Dining reservations opens later, park reservations required so last minute decisions are impossible, genie +/ILL. Now VQ at a location that takes 45 mins at least to get to if you are at a park. I’m usually someone who rolls with changes pretty easily, but it just feels like all these little things are changing the experience in a way i don’t love.

Totally agree with all of this! The other thing I hate is having to get up early to try and get in the queue. Wednesday is the only day of my run-cation that I could possibly sleep in and also the only day that I was hoping to have no schedule and just go with the flow. For those that used it at W&D, did anyone grab a VQ spot later in the morning, like 9 or 10am?

I was called back around 1:30, and at that time they weren't using the holding room anymore. The merch area wasn't overcrowded either.

And yeah sometime later that day they dropped the VQ.

Totally agree with all of this! The other thing I hate is having to get up early to try and get in the queue. Wednesday is the only day of my run-cation that I could possibly sleep in and also the only day that I was hoping to have no schedule and just go with the flow. For those that used it at W&D, did anyone grab a VQ spot later in the morning, like 9 or 10am?

Yep, I got my VQ when my plane landed around 10am. And as I just wrote, I got called back around 1:30.

Normally when we go that time of day, there is no wait for bib pick-up, but he waited about 30 minutes to get his.
I got to the Expo around 12:30, went straight to bib pickup and there was literally no one there, so I'm surprised about your step-dad. But maybe I just got really lucky at that time!

Agree 100%. And I’ll add that I live 100 miles from WDW - so too far to enter the VQ until I drive over, and then will have no idea if the VQ is still open or what return time I might get when I find somewhere to park and fiddle with my phone. It’s entirely set up to accommodate only folks who are already at WDW and able to be very flexible.

W&D did go to letting people walk right in day 1 around 2 or 3pm, but that was a race weekend half the size of MW. IDK if the same will happen. I’m glad I’m not going until Thurs!

runDisney just needs to implement a rule that in order to get into the merch area, people need their bib and their ID, and the names have to match. Then they can only buy stuff that matches the race on the bib, limit 1 per item). I'm still trying to figure out what to do with challenges.
I would think that if your idea was in place, people with the challenge bibs would be able to buy any merch that their challenge includes (so Dopey bib holders would be able to buy all of the items). If it wasn’t for the fact that many people think resellers would just buy bibs and take away spots from people that actually want to run, I think this could help.

This really isn't a surprise. The VQ worked pretty well for Wine and Dine, particularly considering it was the first time that they've had it for the Expo - and considering how much people were freaking out in advance. I loved it because I was able to get my VQ # (41), get in a couple hours of prime park time, and then head over to the Expo. It was soooooo much better than what it used to be.

There was a line in the holding area at the beginning, but I think that Disney got better at estimating how long each VQ group was going to take as the day went on. It also help A LOT that the merch was very well stocked. Also, I heard an Expo vendor that was very, very, VERY happy with the VQ because fewer people ran in, grabbed their shirts, and ran over to the Disney merch. Instead people stayed and shopped with them. And since most of the Expo vendors are small businesses, that's a great thing, IMHO.

To everyone who hasn't used the VQ before, do NOT freak out over it. It's fine - really.
I can understand the draw from the Expo vendors. I usually spend the majority of my expo day in the runDisney merch building, and the majority of that time is waiting on line - getting into the building, waiting on the passholder merch line, waiting on the checkout line (pre-mobile checkout), waiting on photo lines… By the time I get through there, walk through the bib pickup building, and then get to the actual vendor building, I’m usually done for the day. I usually pick and choose certain booths to stop at (if any) on my way to and from picking up my shirts. I’m all for supporting small businesses, so I’m glad that the VQ is benefiting them, but I still wish there was another way.

The VQ was super annoying at W&D. I was hoping that VQ would negatively impact merch sales and Disney wouldn't do it again. Guess not!

There is still a ton of W&D merch on eBay. I hope resellers lost money and it will dissuade them in the future.

If they do VQ for Princess, I'm curious how they will handle the preorder merch pickup on the first day. If I just want to get what I've already paid for, I would hope a VQ entry isn't needed.
I was hoping that the fact that they dropped it in the afternoon of the first day would mean that they wouldn’t find it worthwhile to do it again. I didn’t think that would be the case, so I’m not surprised it’s back, but I was hoping!

I’ve never done W&D, but I know the number of participants is less, and I read on social media that the generic merch seemed to be moving faster than the race specific merch. I don’t know if that’s because they actually had enough items in stock to make it possible for almost everyone to get everything they wanted, or if it’s because the race specific merch wasn’t as popular. I heard the race themes weren’t well received by many. Again, I wasn’t there so this is solely based on other’s comments.

I know I’ve said this before, but I dislike the idea of the VQ for a few reasons. First, it reminds me of the shopDisney merch pass. I know it’s not exactly the same, but it leaves my opportunity to purchase Dopey merch for my first (and likely only) Dopey experience up to chance. Before VQ I could choose how early I wanted to arrive and wait in line, and if I decided the wait wasn’t worth it, that was on me. Now it’s up to what group I‘m assigned, along with my luck with Disney Wi-Fi and/or my cellular data plan.

My bigger issue with the VQ is that it seems to be just another draw to get people to join Club runDisney. I have absolutely no problem with the membership as a whole, but I have a problem with the things they’ve taken away in order to make membership more appealing. When Club runDisney was first announced, the high price was a no for me with the benefits that were included. The one that seemed the most worthwhile to me was the race registration opportunities, but it wasn’t worth it to me because I always used early registration for APs/DVC members. Once that was taken away, the next draw was the early merch access. I was more tempted, but I felt I’d be better off saving the money on the membership knowing I’d be spending at the expo. It seemed like a money grab to have to pay to get in to spend more money. I didn’t see it as an issue because I knew I could make the decision to get to the expo early and wait on line, and at this point I just expect it and see it as a part of the runDisney experience. Now this is no longer the case with the VQ. If these changes were announced prior to Club runDisney registration, I might have felt differently and made the decision to purchase. This is just my opinion, but it feels like they’re continuing to take away from the general runners in order to make Club runDisney more appealing. I wish they’d add perks for the Club runDisney members (like the priority pick up, early merch access, maybe a lounge on race mornings with breakfast, etc.) without taking away from the non-members.

While I know it would probably cost more for the runners in the end, I wish they‘d just offer all of the race merchandise for pre-order, or give you the opportunity to buy any sold out items online and have them shipped to your house. Knowing I will have the opportunity to get whatever I’m interested in (even if it’s after the race weekend) could significantly reduce the reseller situation. I know some people would still buy from them, but I think most wouldn’t bother if they knew they could order directly through Disney.

I’m also curious to see how preorders work with the VQ. The first time I preordered for Princess we were able to go straight into merch to pick it up and still look around. After that year, you still had to wait in the long line to pick up preordered merch. I’m imagining that the same process will be in place for the VQ, but time will tell…

Will there still be an actual stand-in-line, real-person queue for merchandise as well, or only the virtual queue for day one?

I'm trying to decide the best approach to get my bib and hopefully some Dopey merch on day one without missing a lot of park time.
At around 4-430ish I think the VQs ended with W&D we got group 50 and were called noon ish

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter