Marathon Weekend 2023

I have also had toe issues due to socks that were too small/tight, so I second @Herding_Cats suggestion. If you need compression for your calves, maybe look for calf sleeves and separate socks to give you more options.
My feet swell up on long runs without compressions socks. I never did the calf sleeves and foot thing cause my feet swell up so, would calf sleeve be enough to keep them from swelling?

There was some up hill and down hill but not too much. It was my first time going this fast for this long the in these shoes. All my long run, which was up to 14 miles, in these shoes I was doing 16ish min pace (easy pace) and this race was my first time doing 13 to 14 min pace at long distance. I already have wide version of these shoes. Socks are compression that fit my wide calves. So I do not have much option in that area since very few compression sock actually really fit wide calfs even when they say they do.

I could try a half size up. The problem is my heels are super narrow (and I have wide feet so they conflict a lot) so my heals do start coming up very easily if I go too big and then i get bad blisters. Right now my shoes are a half size larger than my normal shoes.
Can’t say that I’ve had the specific issue you reference come up often but I do have narrow heels and wide, flat feet so shoes are sometimes a challenge. I have had pretty good luck finding shoes with a narrow heel and wide toe box over the years; shoes can be a very individual thing though so I won’t make any direct recommendations. They are out there though.

I did get a black toenail a few years back. Shoes being too small, socks being too tight, and running downhill quite a bit were all possible causes. I narrowed mine to my socks, which had a tendency to slide back on my feet and become very tight on my forefoot during my runs. I liked the feeling of the tight fit when prepping, but it turned out they weren’t the best thing in practice. Again, socks can be very individual, but I’ve found a couple brands that have a little more cushion and aren’t quite as snug to start that work very well for me.

I’ve tried a lot of shoes and socks that look cool, or should be good for me, or have tech that sounds awesome, or all the best runners wear, etc. In the end, it was all about finding the right mix for me and forgetting all the other stuff.

I haven't been able to log in more than maybe every other week lately, so trying to play catch-up! I'll just skip a bunch of pages and jump in on SAFD...

Happy Sunday y’all! I’ll pose a SAFD: what are your favorite recovery and prep methods at the hotel when running the Disney race challenges?

I’ve never done back to back races and will be doing it for the first time at Princess.
I'll reiterate what I say every time a question like this comes along: NOTHING NEW ON RACE WEEKEND! Training is when you'll test tings out and find what works best for your body and I recommend sticking to that during race weekends, too. Because there is no one right way!

Lots of folks swear by walking around the park between races, but that does not work for me. I need downtime: away from noise and visual stimulation for my mind, and off my feet for my physical being. Recovery always starts in the room immediately after a race, with food, active stretching/foam rolling, a hot shower, and lying down for an hour or so (not a nap - I usually use that time to catch up on social media and sort through pics I took during the race.) I go to bed EARLY before races, so I'll usually eat dinner in my room and start winding down from there. An epsom salt bath, some reading, laying out everything I'll need for the next morning, and early to bed. During the day, I aim for a little movement, but not too much time on my feet. For Dopey, as an example, I'll usually hit a park for lunch and a couple rides after the 5K and 10K - maybe 3 hours or so with as little walking and standing as possible. I stay in after the half, watching TV, taking a short nap, wandering out for lunch to move a bit: no parks. I'll head out somewhere for dinner after the marathon, but that winds up being an early night, too, just from exhaustion.

My feet swell up on long runs without compressions socks. I never did the calf sleeves and foot thing cause my feet swell up so, would calf sleeve be enough to keep them from swelling?

Maybe? I guess it depends why your feet are swelling. If it's circulation, the sleeves could do the trick alone. If it's more about salt or just the way your body responds to running, you may truly need the full sock. Might be worth trying it out, though!

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn near Disney Springs during Marathon Weekend? Have they provided race transportation in the past?

Happy Sunday y’all! I’ll pose a SAFD: what are your favorite recovery and prep methods at the hotel when running the Disney race challenges?

I’ve never done back to back races and will be doing it for the first time at Princess.

Prep: I start with early dinner, bedtime and early wakeups the day before race day. Not 2am early but go to be around 8-9 and set an alarm for 5am. I'm not great on little sleep so I shift my schedule for the challenge weekends. I lay out my clothes, bib, and any nutrition the night before. I have food in my room for a quick breakfast and coffee while I get ready. Catch the first or second bus. My warmup is mostly walking to the corrals but when it is chilly I will do some strides or dynamic stretching type stuff in the back of the corral just to keep from freezing. Otherwise, try to sit down.

Recovery: For the 5k and 10k I usually skip the food boxes and just grab a water, maybe a banana if I am hungry. Again, the walk out from the finish to the busses is enough of a cool down. I will usually take 10 minutes or so to stretch before hopping on a bus. Back at the resort I get a quick breakfast if I don't have a reservation somewhere then head to my room for a shower. For Dopey this year I will go to a park after the 5k for a bit but I know all the walking adds up quickly so I am skipping a park after the 10k. For the HM (and marathon this year) I grab a food box and eat something asap. I get nauseated and hypoglycemic if I don't eat pretty quickly after longer runs. I take a little longer to stretch and will sometimes grab ice at the med tent on my way out if my knees are grumbling. I like to get a brunch/late breakfast reservation after longer races. After I shower, I head to my late breakfast for a substantial meal. No park if there is a race the next day; pool time instead. I will go to the park after my last race though for medal pics.

I have a horrible internal measure of how much I am walking at disney so I just have to avoid parks between races. My legs need downtime. Learned that lesson the hard way!

I'm thinking about changing to CSR for marathon weekend, but I'm worried about the race buses since there are multiple stops. Can anyone share their experiences?

I'm thinking about changing to CSR for marathon weekend, but I'm worried about the race buses since there are multiple stops. Can anyone share their experiences?

CSR is the least favorite resort I've stayed at for a race weekend. If you're just worried about the race buses, they were fine during the Marathon Weekend I spent there. The size of the resort is my biggest complaint. It can be as much as a 3/4 mile walk to the food court, depending on where your room is. I tend to rely on the food court, especially for drinks, heavily during race weekends and that additional walking was not pleasant.

We stayed at CSR for Princess weekend this year and didn’t have any problems with the busses. We stayed in Ranchos. I do think the main stop out front for the tower may be a little busier. Also love 3 Bridges, good food and a great place to relax for dinner before races.

Changing from where?
I like CSR - probably my favorite moderate. The buses weren't an issue - yes, there are multiple stops, but many resorts are like that.
Like @camaker said - it is very spread out, and you could potentially be pretty far away from the main area with the dining and shops. There is an internal bus (I think), but that is a bit of an inconvenience.

We also stayed at Coronado for Princess Weekend and it was great. We were in Casitas 1 so my bus stop was first pickup. I did all 3 races and there were multiple buses waiting at the Casitas stop before 3 am every morning.

I loved having the hot tub and the numerous food options like 3 Bridges. My room was a bit far from the bus stop (which is closer to Casitas 5), so it made for a longer walk after the half, but that's my only complaint.

Only reason I'm not going back for next Princess is to try out a different resort. Otherwise we would go back in a heartbeat.

As BigEeyore wrote, apart from POFQ, all moderates are as spread out so I don't see the big deal.

I stayed at CSR for Springtime Surprise, and I really liked it. I had a room in the Casitas section, which had the first bus stop for the parks, and the first or second stop, depending on the driver, for rD buses. I had no problems at all, and I’m staying there again for Wine & Dine.

And don’t forget, if you like a hot soak for your legs, that CSR had the largest hot tub on Disney property

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm currently booked at POFQ, but I'm thinking of doing a no park trip so I feel like CSR might be better for that, more restaurants, a spa, better pool area and the option of quiet pools. I'm not too concerned about the walking since I won't be tiring my legs in the parks. I just don't want to be stressed on race mornings that if I'm at the second or third stop the buses will be full.

Just got my birthday present in!! It is my costume for the marathon!! What do u guys think? View attachment 695194
I even have a little tail! I went with the We've got your fluffy back for 26.2 miles. Esp since I have a good size butt, lol. I could not help myself.
View attachment 695195
Love it! And your hair goes great with it as well!
Picking your brain: where did you get the visor? My friends and I are thinking of running as the aunties for the 10K.

My hopes of successfully registering for the Marathon are thinning. Has anyone succeeded in July or August when it opens for 5 minutes?

Because of that I am considering Springtime Surprise instead. Has anyone done both and prefers SS to MW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter