Marathon Weekend 2023

Thank u! Though I run at what I like to call a "sexy pace" of 14ish mins ( for my halfs, probably going slower with marathon) So not breaking in records.
For the half, you might spot my daughter and I dressed as Leia and Darth Vader (father/daughter combo). I haven't decided yet, but I'm leaning toward going with a classic Mickey shirt for the marathon.

My hopes of successfully registering for the Marathon are thinning. Has anyone succeeded in July or August when it opens for 5 minutes?

Because of that I am considering Springtime Surprise instead. Has anyone done both and prefers SS to MW?
I did the Marathon in 2019 and the only Springtime Surprise 10 miler this year. I wouldn't say I necessarily liked Springtime Surprise better, but I did have a great time. And there's something to be said for having the freedom to enjoy the race a little more after the shorter day, both from a time perspective and an "impact on the body" perspective. Though in fairness, the Marathon was my first, whereas the 10 miler was just something I did without really training coming off fitness from a marathon training cycle.

I am (hopefully) going to sign up for the 10k during Springtime Surprise weekend. My much faster friend who I've run every Disney race with will be four months post partum, we love the Monsters Inc. theme, and I've told her this is probably going to be my only chance to keep up with her.

My hopes of successfully registering for the Marathon are thinning. Has anyone succeeded in July or August when it opens for 5 minutes?

Because of that I am considering Springtime Surprise instead. Has anyone done both and prefers SS to MW?
I did the Marathon in 2019 and the only Springtime Surprise 10 miler this year. I wouldn't say I necessarily liked Springtime Surprise better, but I did have a great time. And there's something to be said for having the freedom to enjoy the race a little more after the shorter day, both from a time perspective and an "impact on the body" perspective. Though in fairness, the Marathon was my first, whereas the 10 miler was just something I did without really training coming off fitness from a marathon training cycle.

I am (hopefully) going to sign up for the 10k during Springtime Surprise weekend. My much faster friend who I've run every Disney race with will be four months post partum, we love the Monsters Inc. theme, and I've told her this is probably going to be my only chance to keep up with her.

Talking through MW plans here bc my travel agent wants to make my park reservations.

I will be at MW alone until my DH flies in Saturday night. I’ll be there Tuesday (flight arrives around 8:30 am) thru Monday, when we are going on the Disney Wish (!). I have 4 park tickets because I want to make sure I am walking it out after the races. I am not planning to go hard at the parks but just enjoy my alone time.

Here is what I’m thinking:

Tuesday: arrive to hotel around 10 am, drop off stuff if room isn’t ready, head to park. What park?
Wednesday: no park. Expo day and Disney Springs.
Thursday: 5k then Animal Kingdom.
Friday: 10k then ??? (HS?)
Saturday: Half. No park. Pool.
Sunday: Marathon. I’ll have one park ticket left. I want to go to a park for pictures but am just now realizing it will be January and it will be dark early. I am not confident in my ability to do much after the marathon but I want pics and maybe a celebratory dinner. So should I book MK? Or EPCOT?

What do y’all think of this plan? Any advice?

Talking through MW plans here bc my travel agent wants to make my park reservations.

I will be at MW alone until my DH flies in Saturday night. I’ll be there Tuesday (flight arrives around 8:30 am) thru Monday, when we are going on the Disney Wish (!). I have 4 park tickets because I want to make sure I am walking it out after the races. I am not planning to go hard at the parks but just enjoy my alone time.

Tuesday: arrive to hotel around 10 am, drop off stuff if room isn’t ready, head to park. What park?
Sunday: Marathon. I’ll have one park ticket left. I want to go to a park for pictures but am just now realizing it will be January and it will be dark early. I am not confident in my ability to do much after the marathon but I want pics and maybe a celebratory dinner. So should I book MK? Or EPCOT?

I feel like for HS, if you don’t want to stand in a lot of lines, and especially if you don’t want to spend $$$ for G+ or ILL you need to rope drop it.

For your medal pics, I’d say to pick your favorite park and go there. I will fully admit to pretty much being comatose for the rest of the day once I got into our room (we changed resorts that day and it was an awful choice) but I’m also tempted to get a park ticket for that day just for pics.

Just did this for my weekend! I am arriving later than you on Tuesday so it’s a no park day for me. Wednesday I am going to MK first then expo later in the afternoon. Thursday is 5k then AK. Friday is no park for me. Saturday same. Sunday I am going to MK just for pictures. Anything extra will be up to how I feel but I really want pictures in front of the castle. I’m saving Epcot for Monday and DATW.
I would say for you, pick your favorite park and do that on Sunday. If it’s possible you will just be getting pictures, base it on your that. What backdrop do you want for your pictures? Or is there a restaurant in one of the parks that you think is the perfect end to your MW?
For Tuesday, Epcot is a good option because it’s got so much outside of rides to do. I have only been to WDW once since genie started but I found it much harder to ride without standing in lines if I wasn’t at the park at rope drop. Epcot is a good park for not stressing about rides for me. And it’s a park I find it easy to be alone in.

I'd do Epcot after the marathon. I did open to close after the marathon this year and the constant movement actually aided my recovery. I woke up Monday feeling like I had just done a training long run the day before instead of my fastest ever marathon.

I don't know if it's because the race finishes there but it seemed like there are more runners in Epcot than I've ever seen in any other Park after a race. You also have the widest range of options for food and drink so you can choose exactly how you celebrate.

I've personally never been a fan of doing a park on arrival or get away day so I would have probably gone with one less Park day but that's just me. The rest of the plan looks good.

For me, after my first Dopey, it was all about where I wanted photos. I've seen people use plenty of backdrops at resorts, ESPN, and other areas outside the parks, but I wanted the castle. The Photo Pass photographers were well prepared for runners and had me do several different poses I never would have thought of myself.
I also wanted to get my marathon ear hat embroidered, which I know they do at MK. Be aware that a LOT of people do this, so the pick-up time may be several hours after you drop off. But iirc they also do embroidery at Springs, which wouldn't require a park pass and might give you more leeway for picking up another day. (I think maybe Studios does embroidery too.)

I feel like for HS, if you don’t want to stand in a lot of lines, and especially if you don’t want to spend $$$ for G+ or ILL you need to rope drop it.
I’m going in a couple of weekends and will be rope dropping HS, so hopefully I get the rides I haven’t done before (railroad, rise, and tower of terror lol don’t judge me) out of the way then so MW is less about rides. I actually haven’t been to HS since it was MGM.
For Tuesday, Epcot is a good option because it’s got so much outside of rides to do.
Ooo, good point. I can start the carb loading early :p
I've personally never been a fan of doing a park on arrival or get away day so I would have probably gone with one less Park day but that's just me.
Yeah, I see this. I also know myself though and if I don’t do something I’m going to take a nap when I get to the hotel since my flight leaves so early. I need something to keep me awake so I can try adjusting to a new sleep schedule. Last year I was only getting like 3 hours of sleep, and it was bad.
but I wanted the castle
Yeah, I think that’s what I want too. I’d also like to celebrate at CRT but only if the rest of the princesses are back which I have no idea if they will be.

For me, after my first Dopey, it was all about where I wanted photos. I've seen people use plenty of backdrops at resorts, ESPN, and other areas outside the parks, but I wanted the castle. The Photo Pass photographers were well prepared for runners and had me do several different poses I never would have thought of myself.
I also wanted to get my marathon ear hat embroidered, which I know they do at MK. Be aware that a LOT of people do this, so the pick-up time may be several hours after you drop off. But iirc they also do embroidery at Springs, which wouldn't require a park pass and might give you more leeway for picking up another day. (I think maybe Studios does embroidery too.)
Yes. They do. It's adjacent to "The Art of Disney" and is down by Rainforest Cafe/the Christmas store. And *cough cough* Art of Disney is where you can get those sketches as well.

Last edited:
Good Morning runDisney Allstars!

I hope you all had a good week. For today’s question - what is your favorite ride from a Disney park, and if that rides exists at more than one park tells us which one is your favorite and why?

My answer: Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland (it is far better than the one at Disney World IMO). It holds such nostalgia for me. My family like to quote different parts of the ride. The one at Disneyland of course goes through The Blue Bayou, has two decent drops and is a bit longer than the one at DW. I like both, but Disneyland’s is my favorite.

I hope you all had a good week. For today’s question - what is your favorite ride from a Disney park, and if that rides exists at more than one park tells us which one is your favorite and why?

My answer: Pirates of the Caribbean at Disneyland (it is far better than the one at Disney World IMO). It holds such nostalgia for me. My family like to quote different parts of the ride. The one at Disneyland of course goes through The Blue Bayou, has two decent drops and is a bit longer than the one at DW. I like both, but Disneyland’s is my favorite.
SAFD: Tower of Terror is my favorite ride. It’s one where they got everything right from start to finish. The pre-show is still entertaining, the queue and post-ride scenery and surroundings have lots of interesting and fun details, and the ride itself is always thrilling.

SAFD: Oh, Pirates is a good one and the one at DL is better for sure. For me, it’s Big Thunder Mountain, Paris version. I love BTM in all its versions but the one in Paris is *chef’s kiss*. It is longer for starters. It also goes under the water out to a separate little island and back. I could have ridden that one so many times!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter