Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: JIKOS!!! It open right before we got there for Princess and we were not able to get a reservation but sat at the bar. The food is amazing! And what I love is the food can be as exotic as you want with just a little twist on different or full on different. Every other dining exp you can get somewhere else in USA, but African food done at this level with African animals outside, you just cannot get anywhere else. The drinks are to die for! The service is the best we had. They even provide you a hot towelette to wipe away the sweat from the parks!! Here some example pics:
274710176_10160912084903968_8250950338469223558_n.jpg
Zebra drinks

274860049_10160912085938968_6453070488231829149_n.jpg
The bread and butter was amazing!!
274889484_10160912086278968_2679616263694565515_n.jpg
This flatbread was soo good!!

SAFD: I am meh about all dining at WDW (overpriced, uniform) with few exceptions (Sanaa). That said, this past MW, I went to Stir--the lobby bar at Swan Reserve--and had a lovely post-marathon cocktail (Golden Alps) and flatbread after a rousing game of mini-golf at Fantasia Fairways.

MW2020 post-marathon, I went to Art Smith's for a fried chicken sandwich and a beer (and the 20% discount that runner's got). That hit the spot in a deep-fried/totally bad kind of way.

On another note, I am not allowed to run right now. I had a really scary medical event on Wednesday that resulted in an ambulance ride, an overnight stay in the hospital, and a whole bunch of tests and procedures. I have two doctor’s appointments this week to follow up. I was supposed to run Peachtree, but that‘s out now, which is disappointing. I’m also registered for a half in August in WV. I have no idea when I’ll be cleared to run, and am currently on a heart monitor. I appreciate any and all good wishes sent my way as we try to figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

@princesspirateandrunner Will be thinking of you this week and hoping for a good appointment. I'm sorry about the scary experience.

SAFD: Sanaa would make a really good post run meal. Last time we ate there I left needing a nap though. My other option, but it breaks the rules of the question, is Topolinos for brunch. We managed to sag an ADR for after the wine and dine half, and it was sooo good.

I was looking at flights again, and turns out it'll be a lot cheaper (like, less than $5k in flights vs over $10k) for us to fly down to Orlando, fly back to Canada, and then fly back down to Brazil from here. So pending manager approval, that's what we're doing. With that change in plan, I also managed to snag a few nights at BLT around new years. I swore I'd never go to Disney for new years again, but now that we're AP and DVC members, it doesn't sound as bad since we won't be as concerned about riding rides. I think I might have lost my mind!! So I'll be doing my last few training runs at Disney!

SAFD: I’ll probably hit a lot of the same suggestions from others but I enjoy quite a few places so I figured I’d give them all a mention:

Sanaa- My absolute favorite. However long it’s been since I’ve been there is always too long. I dream of the bread service and my perfect bite of cucumber raita, red chile sambal, and coriander chutney.

Sebastian’s- We had a great meal there this past MW. It’s currently served family style but had a nice variety and they made special accommodations for the dietary restriction in our group (we have a cilantro non-believer:rolleyes2). I’ve found family style dining at Disney to be hit and miss though; so I’d understand if others may not have experienced the same quality that we received.

Les Halles- Cant go wrong.

Satuuli Canteen- Hard to beat for quick service. Unique and high quality every time.

Polite Pig-Another quick service that is really high quality. So many options in DS but I always lament if I don’t get a chance to go to Polite Pig during a trip.

Wine Bar George- I don’t drink so it took me a while to catch on that the food was worth it regardless.

Spice Road Table- All of the Moroccan restaurants have been good to me over the years. I hope Restaurant Marrakech and Tangierine Cafe return. Until then SRT will continue to get regular visits for small bites.

On another note, I am not allowed to run right now. I had a really scary medical event on Wednesday that resulted in an ambulance ride, an overnight stay in the hospital, and a whole bunch of tests and procedures. I have two doctor’s appointments this week to follow up. I was supposed to run Peachtree, but that‘s out now, which is disappointing. I’m also registered for a half in August in WV. I have no idea when I’ll be cleared to run, and am currently on a heart monitor. I appreciate any and all good wishes sent my way as we try to figure out what happened and how to prevent it from happening again.

Very sorry to hear this. I hope they come to a fast/good conclusion as to what the problem is, and more importantly, how to treat it. Good luck with the heart monitor. I had to do one about 20+ years ago--I would assume the technology has improved since then and it is easier/less bulky to wear.

@princesspirateandrunner I hope everything is OK! Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

SAFD: I went to Toppolino's for the first time in March and it was incredible. The views are stunning, service was fabulous, and the food was creative and yummy. Definitely a splurge meal because it was $$$
For a more moderately priced meal - agree that Sanaa is fantastic, and as a bonus you can see the animals on the savannah from the restaurant.

I’m throwing another vote out there for BOMA. My mom and I discovered it on our trip for 2017 SW half and it’s become one of our go tos for breakfast when we do longer trips. It’s the right around of exotic offerings to make it stand apart from other Disney breakfast buffets but with enough of the standard options that even picky eaters (like my sister) had plenty to eat as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter