Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD:

Last year, there was a woman with a perfect version of the 'BELIEVE' sign from Ted Lasso, exiting DHS.

I tapped the sign as I limped past, and I don't know why*, but I just broke down crying and kept at it for a mile or so. Thankfully, @marty3d caught up with me (we'd met at the DisBoard meetup that morning) and I was able to regain my composure for the rest of the race.

*Okay, I know why. I was tired, and hungry, and sore, and exhausted.

I feel the same way. I run with Apple Airpods Pro using Transparency mode, so I can hear everything once I pause my music. It was nice hearing the bands and the ambient sounds in the parks, but it would have been dreadful for me running countless miles without music between Epcot and Magic Kingdom or Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. Once again, to each their own!

I ran the marathon with the Powerbeats Pro - they have a longer battery life than most of the other Apple products and I worry about that given how early we're expected to get to the start area (4am plus 4 hours to run the marathon?)

Did you find the Airpods Pro lasted the full marathon (if you ran that)?

This is one of the reasons I got the Shokz OpenRun Pro bone conducting headphones. When they aren't playing they don't obstruct the ears at all and they are so light I forget I'm wearing them most of the time. The sound is not as good as my Airpod Pros but good enough for running.

And I'm glad to hear that. After the last Dopey weekend I've bought a pair of the Shokz - I've been using them off and on in training runs and am trying to get used to them.

SAFD:

Last year, there was a woman with a perfect version of the 'BELIEVE' sign from Ted Lasso, exiting DHS.

I tapped the sign as I limped past, and I don't know why*, but I just broke down crying and kept at it for a mile or so.

My SAFD is similar. During the Princess 2020 half, there was someone near the TTC with a sign that said "Remember when you thought you couldn't do this." The right saying at the right sign and, yep, I was a sobbing mess because I could remember that time and feeling perfectly. The sign stayed with me for quite a while. I wish that I had stopped to get a picture of the sign. After the race, I asked online and miraculously someone did have a photo of the sign, but it's was a low resolution photo so I can't print it out. However, that moment will stay with me forever.

The funniest sign that I remember was from the same race right as we entered Epcot and said "Could do worse. You could be doing burpees." After kicking myself for about 8 miles for not getting a picture of the first sign, I did get a photo of this sign and took a couple seconds to text it to my trainer, who likes burpees (I happen to disagree with him on this).

I ran the marathon with the Powerbeats Pro - they have a longer battery life than most of the other Apple products and I worry about that given how early we're expected to get to the start area (4am plus 4 hours to run the marathon?)

My AirPods basically died on me at around Mile 15. They weren't completely dead, but my right AirPod started beeping so I knew that it wouldn't last the entire run. Fortunately, I brought my case with me in my hydration belt. I put the AirPods in the case when I stopped to take a picture with Robin Hood and Little John and put them back in when I got by the restroom right before Expedition Everest. From there, my AirPods lasted with battery power to spare until the end of the marathon.

I've had a chuckle at a few race signs though the year but I can't really remember any specifically so they must not have stuck with me.

I used my AirPod Pros at Dopey last year, had no problems at all. I only use one at a time. I prefer that so I can be aware of everything around me and listen to my music. I turned them off many times and during the long highway stretches put both in. When not using them I put them in my charger which was in my waist pack. I never had an issue. I used this same process in a 50 miler (a little over 9 hours) and never had an issue either.

SAFD take two
I posted Disney earlier however here are some non Disney signs (2 from the Gasparilla half one from a local 5K)

Attachments

• 3201CE78-685A-4DFF-985E-A7123FE0E79A.jpeg
    3201CE78-685A-4DFF-985E-A7123FE0E79A.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 82A311AB-9EBC-47B1-9D2E-57EB608DBABE.jpeg
    82A311AB-9EBC-47B1-9D2E-57EB608DBABE.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 55
  • E912394A-CD91-4724-B5F3-91A075D6D293.jpeg
    E912394A-CD91-4724-B5F3-91A075D6D293.jpeg
    161.7 KB · Views: 55
I run with my AirPods Pro. The pods themselves didn't last straight through the entire marathon (they made it maybe 4 hours), but with the case you have more than enough juice. Once I hear the low charge warning sound, I take one off and put it in the case to charge for about 10 minutes, then swap out and charge the other one. That'll add 1-2 hours to the pods, and you can repeat if necessary. (The case supposedly has enough power to keep you going for > 24 hours.)

Regarding the earlier headphone discussion, I 100% train with music, in "transparency mode" to be able to hear traffic, etc. But for the races at Disney, I wear them in transparency mode with no music, so I can just take in everything. :-) (I wear them so that I can hear my RunKeeper stats every 5 minutes and for the hands-free convenience if I happen to make or receive a quick call.)

Very behind in the thread (I was down at WDW 🎉) but I'll add my experience with my AirPod Pros. I also ran with only one at a time for the marathon and only had to swap once.

We stayed at the Dolphin for part of this trip and I got my butt out the door in the early morning and ran around the Boardwalk. Loved it so much. What a peaceful way to start a busy day. I certainly enjoyed it and the quiet camaraderie shared with everyone else who got up early on their vacation. And the heat didn't bother me as much as I thought it would!

SAFD: Another vote for "You run Disney better than Chapek!"

I also always get a chuckle out of "This seems like a lot of work for a banana"

One I made for the Gasparilla Half that Meb ran (and obviously finished well before 90% of the field): "HURRY!!! Meb's drinking all the free beer!"

Also, has anyone been watching car rental prices? Everything is still in the $90/day range that I'm finding. We *could* get around without a car for the week, but DH really prefers to have a car, and I agree that it's a lot more convenient in most situations.

What I did last year was that I booked a rental early - at a pretty steep price - just so I knew that I had it. Then I kept checking on it periodically (around the same time that I would check my flights and hotel costs). The rental car price didn't drop until about 4-6 weeks out, but I wound up getting the same car from the same rental company for about a third of the price by the time I was done.

Been a while since I last posted - But I’m successfully signed up for Dopey in ‘23, and this past weekend I completed my second half marathon of the year. I’ve got one more scheduled for late September that will serve as a nice halfway point in my training - going to double up with 10 mile walk the day before to get my legs used to the burn :)

Starting to look at accommodations - I think we’ll be staying offsite this year, but I’m hoping to splurge on two nights at a Monorail hotel after the race as a bucket list/celebratory item. I’ve never rented a DVC points/room before but going to be pouring over the ins and outs on the Disboard forums and hopefully get something booked soon!

Starting to look at accommodations - I think we’ll be staying offsite this year, but I’m hoping to splurge on two nights at a Monorail hotel after the race as a bucket list/celebratory item. I’ve never rented a DVC points/room before but going to be pouring over the ins and outs on the Disboard forums and hopefully get something booked soon!

TBH, DVC tends to book up between 7 and 11 months out, so availability for those resorts is very very sparse right now. But, you might be able to snag 1-2 nights if you're a bit flexible. Good luck!

If you’re looking for post-MW like Monday and on you can probably snag something if you find an owner soon. The 7 month window opens up in a couple weeks though so what’s available now may not be available after that.

Speaking of, I just book Poly for post-dopey celebrations. First time staying there and we will be kid free!! The owner has CC for marathon weekend and offered it to me but I’d have to add an extra day (Sunday) at poly AND it would mean transferring on marathon day. I’m trying to talk myself into it and out of it at the same time. 😵‍💫 anyone ever transfer on marathon day?? I think I’d make it back to the room before check out especially if I had a late check out. I’d still bring my bags to bell services in the AM in case the race went sideways and I didn’t make it back. I’m mostly worried about not getting into my next room for a long time.

If you’re looking for post-MW like Monday and on you can probably snag something if you find an owner soon. The 7 month window opens up in a couple weeks though so what’s available now may not be available after that.

Speaking of, I just book Poly for post-dopey celebrations. First time staying there and we will be kid free!! The owner has CC for marathon weekend and offered it to me but I’d have to add an extra day (Sunday) at poly AND it would mean transferring on marathon day. I’m trying to talk myself into it and out of it at the same time. 😵‍💫 anyone ever transfer on marathon day?? I think I’d make it back to the room before check out especially if I had a late check out. I’d still bring my bags to bell services in the AM in case the race went sideways and I didn’t make it back. I’m mostly worried about not getting into my next room for a long time.
I have moved resorts on marathon day before and it worked out for me. My partner dropped off all of our bags except one small one with the things I’d need to shower and change post race. I was prepared to use the showers by the pool but was able to get back to the room in plenty of time before checkout to use the room shower. Afterwards, we headed straight to MK.

What do you plan to do after the race? That’s probably the best way to get an idea if it would work for you. If you want to lounge around and nap it probably isn’t a good idea.

I have moved resorts on marathon day before and it worked out for me. My partner dropped off all of our bags except one small one with the things I’d need to shower and change post race. I was prepared to use the showers by the pool but was able to get back to the room in plenty of time before checkout to use the room shower. Afterwards, we headed straight to MK.

What do you plan to do after the race? That’s probably the best way to get an idea if it would work for you. If you want to lounge around and nap it probably isn’t a good idea.
Thanks for the response. That would be my plan as well, to have a small bag with a change of clothes and toiletries and then drop the rest at bell services. My husband will eventually be meeting me in FL but we’re unsure what day so I need to plan to be solo for most of sunday (more importantly not counting on him being able to drop our bags later or hold my change of clothes).

After this last marathon I stretched, showered, and napped. But I can always find things to do until I get into my new room. I’m just worried about not getting to check in until 4 or later. That might be tough. I really want that microwave and toaster at CC 😂 I’m currently booked Gran Destino, which I loved staying at last time.

DVC does not offer late check-out, and 4pm is the earliest you can likely expect a room. The language is carefully written that Check-in STARTS at 4pm so even that isn't guaranteed. You might get lucky, but in my 20+ years of ownership I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten a room early. Just be prepared to be "homeless" for that period of time and plan accordingly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter