Marathon Weekend 2023

SAFD: I did WnD 2017 solo. I had a smile the entire time I was there. Yes, I was texting some pictures back home and sometimes would have like to share a moment with DH or DDs. Overall it was liberating. I was always in agreement with myself, assuming any decision I made, feeling good about park hopping whenever, eating snacks in lieu of meals if I wanted to and floating in the pool playing games organized by the animators without have teens rolling their eyes. I had the chance to meet some DISers at HH and follow the group to the Epcot party after.

I am always the trip planner in the family. No matter how well it is planned, there are always moments on a trip when someone complains about something, often because they are hot, hungry or tired. Traveling with family is also a great richness so I try to include them most of the time.

At my second runDisney weekend, for Dopey 2020, even extended family came. While I would be ok to travel with a subset again, I would not do the same mix.

Hence, when I go back, I might go solo. And maybe one day I’ll go solo and miss the days when everyone wanted to come. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I am always the trip planner in the family. No matter how well it is planned, there are always moments on a trip when someone complains about something, often because they are hot, hungry or tired. Traveling with family is also a great richness so I try to include them most of the time.

I can definitely relate with this. I am the forward planner for our group and even though there isn’t as much that can be done in advance it still largely falls on me to plan what can be planned. It doesn’t really bother me when there’s dissension in the ranks, as it’s impossible to please everyone, but it’s amazing how much more I can get done on my own. Group think leads to some truly terrible decisions.

My mom got in for her first Disney 5K through a charity for January! So excited for her and can't wait for her to experience it. Now to try and plan outfit ideas for me, her, and my dad for the 5K (along with me and my dad for the other 3 races).

SAFD: I've done many of my WDW trips (not just rD) solo, I love it!

SAFD: My DW is the runner, I'm the Disney planner, so I could go without her and not run, or she can go without me and have no clue how to get anywhere 😅

We used to go with more people: kids, friends... But as time went on, it's just been her and me, which is fine. We both like to go around the parks in a very similar manner, so we don't slow each other down.

SAFD: I did Dopey 2022 solo, also my first RunDisney event. I loved only having to worry about myself. The last couple years have mentally been tough and exhausting with two small kids at home and that time away was long overdue. My social anxiety and total awkwardness kept me away from any of the meetups but hopefully I’ll get over that and make it next year. Will be traveling down solo again. Definitely had moments of loneliness, like finishing the races and having no one at the end, but I’m hoping when my kids get older they can join.

SAFD: all of my trips are basically solo - my adult son has no interest in going to WDW anymore, and even less interest in tagging along while I run lol! I do meet up with friends during race weekends, and run some parts of races with them, but I don't do roommates and probably spend 70% of my time solo. I love the alone time and not trying to meet anyone's wants and needs but my own!

SAFD: I have gone to a few WDW race weekends solo and my one DL race was solo. As much as I love going to Disney with my family it is nice to go and just do what you want when you want without any dissenting opinions.

MW this year was basically solo. A few of my friends went down but we all went separately, stayed separately, and did our own thing. I met up with them a few times but we all had our own plans.

I've done them both solo and with family and friends there. What I like about solo is I'm not disturbing anybody really early in the morning and I can do the parks around the races on my own schedule. But my family and friends are pretty good about going with the flow, so it's been a great experience both ways and it's nice to have them there around the races.

I don't see much of a downside either way. If I had to pick something, I'd say that when I'm solo, I'm not always good at sticking to leaving a park by a certain time to get the rest I should get. When my family and friends are there, I have someone to remind me and keep me accountable.

SAFD: I had family with me when I did 2017 and 2018 Princess. It was fine because I feel like the shorter races don't impact vacation as much. In 2019, I decided I needed a Mommy vacation and did Dopey solo. It was amazing! Exactly what I needed at that time and I decided I wanted to make it a yearly tradition if possible. In 2020, I just went for the 5K and 10K, 2022 I attempted Dopey again and next year I'm going for all but the marathon.

As others have said it's really nice on a race weekend to be able to do what you want and to prioritize what you need for race preparation. Another thing I liked about being solo was that this year I went to the HH meetup and it was great to talk running with new friends. My family isn't into running and if they were with me I wouldn't have taken time away to do a meetup.

I do get lonely at times, particularly back in the room at night getting ready for the next day's race. But during the day I'm always talking to people in line or at the races, even though I'm super shy. Most of the rides are really fun solo, but I learned this year that I felt like complete idiot on Alien Swirling Saucers alone (I imagine this is true for the Teacups as well). LOL.

I do get lonely at times, particularly back in the room at night getting ready for the next day's race. But during the day I'm always talking to people in line or at the races, even though I'm super shy. Most of the rides are really fun solo, but I learned this year that I felt like complete idiot on Alien Swirling Saucers alone (I imagine this is true for the Teacups as well). LOL.

I know what you mean about feeling like an idiot on a ride alone. I was solo the first two days of MW 2022, plus I am usually solo on my annual work conference at WDW. This past January I got on 7 Dwarfs as a party of 1. Of course a family of 5 had to be in front of me. I got assigned to ride in the same car with their 10 year old daughter. That was the most awkward feeling. Last time I will ride 7 Dwarfs without my family with me.

Last edited:
I know what you mean about feeling like an idiot on a ride alone. I was solo the first two days of MW 2022, plus I am usually solo on my annual work conference at WDW. This past January I got 7 Dwarfs as a party of 1. Of course a family of 5 had to be in front of me. I got assigned to ride in the same car with their 10 year old daughter. That was the most awkward feeling. Last time I will ride 7 Dwarfs without my family with me.
Ahhh I should make a list of all the rides that feel awkward if you're going alone. Every time I've done a solo parks visit and ridden Pirates they give me my own bench and I'm left wondering if the boat behind me thinks it's weird. I've had better luck when put into groups.

Ahhh I should make a list of all the rides that feel awkward if you're going alone. Every time I've done a solo parks visit and ridden Pirates they give me my own bench and I'm left wondering if the boat behind me thinks it's weird. I've had better luck when put into groups.
I guess I just don't care what other people think. I love when I get my own bench! :P

On Pirates I don't mind riding solo and having my own row. I will take that instead of being stuffed into a row with some strangers. My awkwardness comes from getting on rides that are themed more towards younger children and then getting paired up/sitting with a child. Luckily there are not too many rides where that happens. Slinky is another one that comes to mind where that can happen. I do avoid that ride when solo.

I've had an entire boat to myself on Gran Fiesta Tour multiple times. I am the type of person who will ride Gran Fiesta Tour as many times as possible when it has no line, with or without other humans.

I'm also the 3rd/5th/7th/etc. wheel in my group so I have plenty of experience awkwardly riding next to solo riders. Oddly enough, despite my crippling social anxiety, it doesn't bother me. Maybe because I live in awkward 24/7/365 in everyday life it's just normal to me :confused3.

I've had an entire boat to myself on Gran Fiesta Tour multiple times. I am the type of person who will ride Gran Fiesta Tour as many times as possible when it has no line, with or without other humans.

I'm also the 3rd/5th/7th/etc. wheel in my group so I have plenty of experience awkwardly riding next to solo riders. Oddly enough, despite my crippling social anxiety, it doesn't bother me. Maybe because I live in awkward 24/7/365 in everyday life it's just normal to me :confused3.
I had the entire Gran Fiesta Tour ride to myself last Marathon Weekend! I think I was the first guest on since everyone else had rushed to the E-Ticket Attractions. Just walked up and got on a boat! It was fantastic!

I know what you mean about feeling like an idiot on a ride alone. I was solo the first two days of MW 2022, plus I am usually solo on my annual work conference at WDW. This past January I got on 7 Dwarfs as a party of 1. Of course a family of 5 had to be in front of me. I got assigned to ride in the same car with their 10 year old daughter. That was the most awkward feeling. Last time I will ride 7 Dwarfs without my family with me.

That stuff never really bothered me. I've met quite a few people going solo, when I lived in FL I made almost weekly solo trips over, and have some fond memories of talking to strangers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter