Marathon Weekend 2022

SAFD:

Doing this 2 ways...

Assuming stomach has unlimited capacity
Breakfast: EP Garden Grill
Lunch: HS Sci-Fi... we always took the kids there when younger and this is always fun/nostalgic
Dinner: AK Flame Tree
Snack: MK Plaza Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich

Slightly more normal (not even sure this is less food, but at least doesn't start the day with GG)
Breakfast: MK Sleepy Hollow Nutella Waffle (honorable mention to Gaston Cinnamon roll)... also RIP Starring Rolls in HS
Lunch: AK Flame Tree (maybe split something)
Dinner: EP San Angel Inn. Classic EP and have always loved the setting
Snack: HS Takeout PB&J shake from Tune-In Lounge

Hey all, just bursting with excitement and needed to share. My wife and I were looking seriously at DVC over the last few months, and have been considering it for years. When we go to WDW we have always been POP/AOA/All Stars resort stayers. On a few occasions we splurged and stayed at a moderate. For January we had decided to splurge and were planning to go to Caribbean Beach which would have been awesome. But we finally pulled the trigger on DVC and today our welcome kit arrived and we shared it with our girls at dinner. We told them, well you know how we planned to stay at Caribbean Beach, well we have changed plans. My younger daughter said that was fine, she really liked Pop. Then we got to say we are not staying at Pop, we are staying at Copper Creek in Wilderness Lodge!

So fun to watch that percolate for a few seconds and then we shared that we were now DVC members and they were so excited. We spent an hour looking at videos of WIlderness Lodge. Very fun evening!

I am even more excited about January now. So come on runDisney give us some good news!

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite time of year to visit Disney?

I’ve only gone in January for MW and the spring. Of those two, I’m always happy to be at MW, though there tend to be more refurbishments going on.

I’d love to visit in the fall or early winter sometime.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

SAFD: I love to visit in November or December, when the Christmas decorations are already up. Thanksgiving is a fun time to be there, but crowded. W&D is a great weekend, too. Early December is much less crowded. The temperature is usually good, too.
There’s really no bad time, of course. It was 95 degrees this past week, but we had such a great time. We got home Friday evening, and are sad for the trip to be over. We are already well into planning for MW!

SAFD:

It’s not the detailed answer I want to give and it’s cliché but my answer to this is definitely any time of year. I’ve been there at a bunch of different times of year and have never had a bad time. I’d prefer not to be there during a hurricane or holiday, but other than that I find the parks pretty manageable at any time. Ive been for Festival of the Arts, Flower and Garden, and Food and Wine and enjoyed them all enough to say I don’t really have a preference.

Forced to choose it would be after Labor Day-October 1. People tend not to do trips with their kids that early in the school year, so crowds are a bit lighter (ETA: That’s not a complaint about children at the parks, just an acknowledgment that families are a big portion of their demand and its a unique time of the year where that demand is lower). MNSSHP is running but not at peak demand, same for Food and Wine. It’s hot, but that goes for most of the year. Since they’ve cancelled MNSSHP this year it looks like it might be another year before I do this trip again though (although I will be monitoring exactly what the Boo Bash includes).

Last edited:
SAFD: We like Nov-Jan. The weather is better than at most other times, the crowds are lower (not counting the Christmas holiday blackout period), and some of our favorite events happen during those months - holiday decorations, Thanksgiving & NYE at Victoria & Albert's, and marathon weekend.
Been to WDW at nearly all time of year, and this is my favorite time too for all the same reasons. We've been incredibly lucky with the weather in early/mid December. The one time we went in early January was when FL had its coldest outbreak in decades back in 2001.

SAFD:
I can’t wait for MW2022 so I can compare it to my answer here today. My favorite is timing our trip for W&D so we can catch MNSSHP, do the W&D races and race party, and see the overnight transformation from Halloween to Christmas. I also like going around Epcot at Christmas and seeing the different Santas and Christmas traditions.

SAFD:
...I’ve been there at a bunch of different times of year and have never had a bad time. I’d prefer not to be there during a hurricane or holiday, but other than that I find the parks pretty manageable at any time. Ive been for Festival of the Arts, Flower and Garden, and Food and Wine and enjoyed them all enough to say I don’t really have a preference.
Agree, but I will add that we were there a few years ago just before Hurricane Irma, and other than the Polynesian show being modified for wind and drizzle (fire dancer couldn’t perform and some dancing was curtailed because of a slick stage), it was great. Everybody was going home and no one was coming in, so all rides and attractions were walk-on’s, we had excellent viewing for parades and fireworks, and restaurants were less than half full. When we got off Frozen, the cast member asked, “Do you want to go again since nobody is in line?” So we did. Our check out time was Saturday morning, and, sadly, Irma struck, I think, Sunday afternoon and closed the parks for a couple of days. Most people had already evacuated so our trip home was almost traffic-less, and later I read that Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard weathered the storm at Disney World and that she helped entertain the people who were left in the (Polynesian?) lobby. So maybe Disney isn’t the worst place to be during a hurricane!
P. S. Last summer we were in Destin when Hurricane Sally came through. I’d think I’d rather be at WDW than the beach during a hurricane.

SAFD: I thought that we would be asked about four meals again but outside the parks…
We went mostly in August, but the heat and the afternoon storms are not our favourites. Best resort deals ever though!
Out of the other three trips (April F&G, November WnD, January MW), I think that we preferred the one during F&G: Great weather, low crowds, amazing flowers, especially good when the Spring is grey. I also like taking a break from Winter so end of February, beginning of March sounds great. We have to try Princess!

SAFD:
I really like the Christmas season to MW Bring from Michigan it is always so nice to get a break from the tundra and enjoy the warmer weather. But just about anytime us a good time to go to Disney!

The only time I am not fan of is summer. I was just complaining about the cold, but the Florida heat can be relentless! I remember being there in July as part of a larger family vacation; standing in line for the Safari ride in AK at 9am and already a complete sweaty mess and thinking never again in Summer. Of course we went again the very next summer...

SAFD: I always like MW due to the great memories of years gone by and the joy of another MW. I also enjoy the Festival of the Arts, so that time is good. We had a wonderful trip in May towards the end of Flower and Garden at Beach Club. Even though it was hot, we are a bit used to it due to the similarity to Houston's weather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter