Marathon Weekend 2018

My girlfriend and I have a soft spot for The Princess and The Frog, so we love Port Orleans. That's where we're probably going for the Marathon, unless some super deal pops up, and I can get a monorail resort for the same price.

Nothing wrong with POR. We have stayed there the past three marathon weekends we have attended and have enjoyed it every time. Easy access to Disney Springs and, a fairly easy bus ride to and from the races, and good bus service to all the parks. Really have no complaints at all.

Next year we just decided to stay at BCV villas to do something different for marathon weekend, and to have easy access to Epcot.

Sunday Disney Question!
Today's question: What is your favorite resort to either stay at or go to (since I know some of you stay offsite) and why?.

Animal Kingdom Lodge, for two major reasons: 1) the savannahs and 2) the restaurants. I especially love AKL during race weekends, since I don't usually do the parks, and I can spend many, many hours watching the animals and exploring the resort. Plus, Jiko! (well, and Boma and Sanaa, too, but mostly JIKO!!!)

Hoping the experts here can help me:

I am excited for our first marathon weekend in ‘18. My wife wants to do the half. I told her I would run it with her since she is not a runner and we will have fun doing it together. But since I am a runner and because I have never done one before, I am considering also doing the full (by myself). When I mention this to folks, everyone says, “if you are going to do the half and full, you might as well do the Dopey…”

First of all, I am not sure I am even up for the full marathon as I don’t have a huge desire to prepare for 26 miles. I can stretch my typical runs of 6-8 miles to 13 miles easily – but 26 is a different story. I usually run 3-4 times a week and did my last half in 1:47 so I am in pretty good shape but I have to think I will need to do a few runs of at least 15-20 miles to prepare for 26, right?

Then there is the idea of getting up for early mornings multiple days. Doing it once for the half – OK. Again for the full? Hmmmm. But to get up 4 days in a row?? Not sure I can do that.

So I have 2 questions:

1) If I sign up for just the half, can I “upgrade” to the Goofy or Dopey later assuming there is space available?

And 2) for those of you who run the Dopey, how do you deal with getting up so early 4 days in a row without it messing up your sleep and/or your entire vacation?
Thanks to all those who replied to my questions. Great feedback. I am planning to register later tonight. I am going to sign up for just the half for now. I will look at doing the marathon another time. If I change my mind and the Goofy is still open, I may switch but I, unlike many of you, still consider this a "vacation" and not just a trip to do the races. So, I just can't get past getting up early 4 days in a row. Perhaps after doing this race and getting hooked like everyone else, that will change. But for now, it will just be a fun 13 mile trot for me. :)

One more follow up question: Are there any resorts that work out better for the race than others? I am going to book at my home resort tonight Animal Kingdom Villas (11 month window) but if any of the veterans can share advice for the best race friendly resort, I may try to switch at the 7 month mark.

Sunday Funday question - I have only stayed at POR and OKW. I liked both, but POR has the edge because it was a more easily walkable resort than OKW - not so large and spread-out.

I stayed at POR for the 2013 marathon - I recommend going to the main lobby to find a bus to the races. I'm sure ours was a fluke, but we were at a stop and 3 full buses passed us by, and then only did one pick us up after 4 a.m. and it was standing room only. It sucked!

Hoping to hear back soon on a Poly studio for Marathon weekend in 2108
waiting too (for AKL)...OT but do you re-contact the rental agent, or just sit tight?? I don't want to be a pain, but I don't want to get "missed" either.

Wilderness Lodge is probably my favorite resort. We stayed there for our honeymoon, and it just smells like home in there. BUT - we typically stay at the POP because we are cheap and love the central location. Booked my first stay at the Poly in the fall this year. I'm really looking forward to it.

Help needed for tomorrow! Trying to make sure I understand everything correctly for tomorrow's registration opening. Our family of 4 is going to register for the half. If I understand correctly, we each have to have a separate active.com account set up. And, each of us has to sign up for the race separately. Correct?

How quickly does the half sell out? It is possible two of the four us us can be at a computer and we will have to register ourselves before getting back in queue to register the other two. Could it sell out before we get the other two signed up?

Any advice and pointers is greatly appreciated!

Help needed for tomorrow! Trying to make sure I understand everything correctly for tomorrow's registration opening. Our family of 4 is going to register for the half. If I understand correctly, we each have to have a separate active.com account set up. And, each of us has to sign up for the race separately. Correct?

How quickly does the half sell out? It is possible two of the four us us can be at a computer and we will have to register ourselves before getting back in queue to register the other two. Could it sell out before we get the other two signed up?

I think you can sign up minors with your active account but I'll let someone else confirm that. One thing you can do if you haven't already, is set up an active account ahead of time so that all your personal information will fill in. You can even put in your payment info if you so desire. Still have to answer some questions but have the account ready will cut down on your processing time. I'd be surprised if the half sells out in minutes but you never know.

I've registered multiple people to multiple races in the past all with separate active.com accounts, so you should be fine having two people register themselves and then registering another person. Looks like, from the ages in your signature, that all should be 18+ by the race and, I think, that means you will all need your own active.com account to sign up. My only hesitation is not knowing exactly how they handle someone who is 17 at time of registration but will turn 18 by race day.

I don't think there will be a huge time crunch on a sellout and with the multiple presales that they've done and the lack of sellouts during those periods I think I'd be more surprised with a quick sellout than I would be to see spots available for an extended period. I've changed my mind on this stance approximately 763 times in the last few weeks and would still be nervous and trying to sign up right at noon if I wasn't able to sign up as a past participant already.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

I've registered multiple people to multiple races in the past all with separate active.com accounts, so you should be fine having two people register themselves and then registering another person. Looks like, from the ages in your signature, that all should be 18+ by the race and, I think, that means you will all need your own active.com account to sign up. My only hesitation is not knowing exactly how they handle someone who is 17 at time of registration but will turn 18 by race day.

I don't think there will be a huge time crunch on a sellout and with the multiple presales that they've done and the lack of sellouts during those periods I think I'd be more surprised with a quick sellout than I would be to see spots available for an extended period. I've changed my mind on this stance approximately 763 times in the last few weeks and would still be nervous and trying to sign up right at noon if I wasn't able to sign up as a past participant already.

I agree, just to be on the safe side I would create an active account for each person and fill in as much information as you can. That way you can get through the registration much quicker. I really do not think you will have a problem registering for the half as long as you are ready when registration opens.

Sunday Disney Question!
Today's question: What is your favorite resort to either stay at or go to (since I know some of you stay offsite) and why?
I almost exclusively stay offsite these days because I get so much more for my money. But if I could afford it again, YC is a favorite place to stay, as is AKL: YC I just love the gleaming wood floors, lovely lobby, pool and grounds, and proximity to EP, AK wins because of its gorgeous theming, relaxing ambiance, and animal viewing. My favorite moderate is CBR - love the refurbished rooms, beautiful grounds, food court, and overall relaxed vibe. I hate all the values equally. ;) I won't stay at WL again after a number of disappointing trips there, but it's my favorite to visit around Christmas and we always plan lunch or dinner there on our annual holiday trip to take in the tree and decorations!

Sunday Disney Question!

I hope everyone had a good week! General registration is Tuesday! Glad I don't have to do the frantic rush for that.

Today's question: What is your favorite resort to either stay at or go to (since I know some of you stay offsite) and why?
It depends. For Marathon weekend Poly is my favorite. I like being able to walk to the ttc monorail stop. It makes it easier to get to and from Epcot in the morning. A close second is Contemporary but it's not as convenient getting back there as you have to switch monorails.

For non Marathon weekend Beach club it probably my favorite with Contemporary being a close second. I love being able to walk to and from the Magic kingdom.

First rD race, first marathon. YIKES. :scared: I'm in (AP) and since I'll probably be solo, I'll probably go for POP or AoA, even an AS. Looking now at the dates AFTER I already signed up, I'm getting worried for the crowds due to it being so close to NY's. Double YIKES. :worried:

I agree, just to be on the safe side I would create an active account for each person and fill in as much information as you can. That way you can get through the registration much quicker. I really do not think you will have a problem registering for the half as long as you are ready when registration opens.

Thank you!

Thanks you!

I think you can sign up minors with your active account but I'll let someone else confirm that. One thing you can do if you haven't already, is set up an active account ahead of time so that all your personal information will fill in. You can even put in your payment info if you so desire. Still have to answer some questions but have the account ready will cut down on your processing time. I'd be surprised if the half sells out in minutes but you never know.
Thank you!

You are correct. Parent or Guardian can do so from their account. Here's an excerpt of the disclaimer on Active.com:

Relationship
You are this person's parent or legal guardian.
You must be the parent or legal guardian to register someone under 18 years old. By registering a child under 13, you are consenting to the collection of the child's information you are providing for the purposes of registration.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!