Marathon Weekend 2018

I think you can expect something a little extra on each of the shirts for the race/challenge anniversaries, and the medals obviously will have the anniversaries noted (though, I guess they didn't do that for the 5K or 10K)...

As for extra expo swag, this is what I've gotten from anniversary events I've done with runDisney (that I can remember, I could be forgetting some):

- 20th marathon (2013): shoelaces and a pin (a big round pin, like the "I'm Celebrating" pins)
- 5th Wine & Dine (2014): a cork coaster that my dog ate
- 10th Goofy (2015): a credit card holder that you stick on the back of your phone
- 10th Disneyland Half (2015): luggage tag
- 20th WDW half (2017): luggage tag

Soooo yeah, luggage tag is probably a safe bet. Along with a Clif bar or whatever. I think that's literally all you can expect from your expo bag.

That's the biggest picture available right now! It comes from here: https://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/registration (scroll down toward the bottom)

Zooming in on my computer, I can see the partners statue, "13.1 miles," "Goofy Challenge," etc....Epcot Center, 3 Caballeros, the fab 5, park maps, stuff like that. Basically just a collage of stuff from the parks. I think it's one of the better Dooney designs to have come out recently (and GOOD LORD have they come out with a lot recently).

It's funny because I first saw this picture posted in a Dooney Facebook group, and some of the members are complaining that it's a runner-specific bag........

......it's the Marathon Weekend Dooney!! Come on. :rolleyes2 Not like there aren't plenty of other patterns to choose from.

Thank you! But I think I am still blind as I can't make any of that out, lol!

Here is my example at least if that helps. My proof of time I submitted to RD for the 2017 Marathon was the Star Wars Half and my time was 2:11:25. If you enter that time into the McMillan Calculator, it shows a marathon time of 4:36:34 which put me in Corral G since that time is less than 4:38:00 and that is where I was for the 2017 race.

About corrals... the last two WDW race weekends went back to fewer corrals with more people per corral. Not all the way back to 2012-2013 days, when the corrals were more evenly divided, but Dark Side and W&D both had a couple GIGANTIC corrals instead of multiple smaller corrals for the same finish time range. I have no idea if rD plans to continue that trend into Marathon weekend, but it's a possibility, I think. (They released those giant corrals in mini-waves, BTW: all 7,000 of us in corral F for Dark Side did not start at once, lol! They did the same at W&D, but with fewer mini-waves - it did not work as well as it did at DS.)

You know it's getting closer to Marathon weekend when.....you get a flu shot now, just in case!

Yeah, and just this morning I started taking Emergen-C chewable tablets. I work in a 24 hour living facility for developmentally disabled adults and although I do work up in the administration building I volunteer in the mornings to transport our clients from their homes to their training areas. And someone is ALWAYS sick!

Oh I like those! I wasn't planning on a Dooney and didn't preorder, but maybe they will have some available at the Expo.
It's hard to say with the pre-orders...part of me thinks they aren't as necessary anymore, especially if you can get to the expo on the first day. It's more of a thing for Princess and Tink, I think, but even at Princess this year I remember going to the expo and there still being tons of bags available...where the year before they sold out pretty quickly. :confused3

It's hard to say with the pre-orders...part of me thinks they aren't as necessary anymore, especially if you can get to the expo on the first day. It's more of a thing for Princess and Tink, I think, but even at Princess this year I remember going to the expo and there still being tons of bags available...where the year before they sold out pretty quickly. :confused3
To expand on this...I think they make the Princess and Tink bags more "vague" so to speak, like you could take the hang tags off and never know they were race bags - they're just bags with Tink or the Princesses on them. That makes them more appealing to non-runners ("shoppers" in the Dooney groups will start lists and pick up bags for people - non-runners - and ship them) - note that these patterns have ended up for sale at Disney later, not as part of a race - they will just change the colors/styles and remove the race weekend hang tags.

The marathon weekend bags normally actually (gasp!) have reference to the races in the prints, and I think that makes non-runners more hesitant to actually buy them. :confused3 In past years bags from this weekend as well as Disneyland Half weekend (again, where they actually put the races in the patterns) have ended up for sale at the outlets months later at a discount. My very non-scientific research (reading the Dooney groups) tells me this print is a little more well-received by non-runners, so it may sell better, but larger, more detailed pictures would really help I think.

I was actually really surprised to see a preorder for them this year. I don't think they had one last year for Marathon Weekend and I walked right up to the booth on the first day of the expo and there was no more than 3 people in there. Princess 2017 there was a line the first day (my sister bought one) but no issues with supply that I could see and it wasn't the crazy mob I saw the previous years at Princess, although the whole expo was less of a war zone so that might have helped too! I am undecided on these, kinda wish they had the wallet like they did for a few other races since I love my last years Marathon Weekend purse and really don't need another purse (haha, yeah, I say that now). I will take my chances to see it in person, plus I have my AP discount so it is worth waiting and taking a chance. I don't see there being an issue with selling out, and if I does, well I will just have to find a different D&B purse to splurge on if need be!

I was actually really surprised to see a preorder for them this year. I don't think they had one last year for Marathon Weekend and I walked right up to the booth on the first day of the expo and there was no more than 3 people in there. Princess 2017 there was a line the first day (my sister bought one) but no issues with supply that I could see and it wasn't the crazy mob I saw the previous years at Princess, although the whole expo was less of a war zone so that might have helped too! I am undecided on these, kinda wish they had the wallet like they did for a few other races since I love my last years Marathon Weekend purse and really don't need another purse (haha, yeah, I say that now). I will take my chances to see it in person, plus I have my AP discount so it is worth waiting and taking a chance. I don't see there being an issue with selling out, and if I does, well I will just have to find a different D&B purse to splurge on if need be!
Good point about the AP: they used to let you pre-order, return the bag and then re-buy it to use your AP discount. I have heard that they won't let people do that anymore.

I had to really wrack my brain to remember what this year's Dooney was...I think I remember that one popping up at the outlets too.

I had to really wrack my brain to remember what this year's Dooney was...I think I remember that one popping up at the outlets too.
I am pretty positive I heard they were at the outlets eventually. One of these trips I really need to rent a car to get over to those stores!

I think you can expect something a little extra on each of the shirts for the race/challenge anniversaries, and the medals obviously will have the anniversaries noted (though, I guess they didn't do that for the 5K or 10K)...

As for extra expo swag, this is what I've gotten from anniversary events I've done with runDisney (that I can remember, I could be forgetting some):

- 20th marathon (2013): shoelaces and a pin (a big round pin, like the "I'm Celebrating" pins)
- 5th Wine & Dine (2014): a cork coaster that my dog ate
- 10th Goofy (2015): a credit card holder that you stick on the back of your phone
- 10th Disneyland Half (2015): luggage tag
- 20th WDW half (2017): luggage tag

Soooo yeah, luggage tag is probably a safe bet. Along with a Clif bar or whatever. I think that's literally all you can expect from your expo bag.

Well at least someone enjoyed it! :rotfl2:

Interesting info/thoughts on the bags. This pattern looks intricate- I look forward to getting a more up-close look!

I like the dooney and just went on to active.com and added a pre-order for the tote! This may be my last marathon for a while, so I am buying ALL THE MERCH. I won't get to the expo until Saturday afternoon so I am pre-ordering all I can.

You don't even get the Clif Bars anymore! Haven't gotten those the last couple of races - now you get nothing at the expo other than your shirts/bibs.

Packet pick up: Please refresh my memory!

I am doing Dopey, and I pre-ordered a set of pins. If I remember correctly from last year, I only "have to" go to the Field house to pick up my bibs, T shirts, and then I exit and re-enter to pick up my pre-paid merchandise (pins), right? I don't have to go to the Jostens center at all, if I have no interest in "shopping?"

My Dh is doing the 10k--his bib and T shirt pick up is outdoors?

My 17 year old son is doing the half marathon. People doing the half must go to the Field house to pick up their bibs, and then the Jostens center to get their t shirt? Except, since he is underage, a parent/guardian must be the one to actually do this for him?

Just trying to figure out our schedule. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter