Marathon Weekend 2018

So, I'm new to the DIS Boards. Just joined today. So please excuse any mistakes I make in my first few postings. I'm running in my first Run Disney event - the January 7th Marathon. Can one of you fantastic people tell me where I can find a 2018 marathon course map? Thank you!

The course hasn't been posted yet. You can look online at last year's to get a rough idea of what it will be, though there will be some changes.

More like #ByeClifBarFelicia ... I don't think we get the bars ever since RD changed from Clif gels to SportsBeans.

I miss the mini builder's bars in the snack box. Whomp whomp.

Thanks, John! I have a bunch of questions overall, but Ill ask them one at a time. I'm not an easily overwhelmed person, but there seems to be a laundry list of items that need to be completed before anyone can even take a first step. I think I'm pretty well prepared for this. I won't be setting any course records, but am very excited to be taking part in this event. I'm love reading about others experiences. Thank you again, John!

So, I'm new to the DIS Boards. Just joined today. So please excuse any mistakes I make in my first few postings. I'm running in my first Run Disney event - the January 7th Marathon. Can one of you fantastic people tell me where I can find a 2018 marathon course map? Thank you!

Welcome, Jim!! This is a great group here - we're all happy to help make your first RunDisney event full of magical miles!

since RD changed from Clif gels to SportsBeans

I hate clif gels. Taste, consistency, packaging...nothing I like about them. BUT, are you saying there are no on course gels? I carry my own but figured they would have some in case of an "emergency".

I hate clif gels. Taste, consistency, packaging...nothing I like about them. BUT, are you saying there are no on course gels? I carry my own but figured they would have some in case of an "emergency".

I would not count on gels being offered. Cliff is no longer a sponsor, which means the course is likely to offer Sportbeans instead.

Packet pick up: Please refresh my memory!

I am doing Dopey, and I pre-ordered a set of pins. If I remember correctly from last year, I only "have to" go to the Field house to pick up my bibs, T shirts, and then I exit and re-enter to pick up my pre-paid merchandise (pins), right? I don't have to go to the Jostens center at all, if I have no interest in "shopping?"

My Dh is doing the 10k--his bib and T shirt pick up is outdoors?

My 17 year old son is doing the half marathon. People doing the half must go to the Field house to pick up their bibs, and then the Jostens center to get their t shirt? Except, since he is underage, a parent/guardian must be the one to actually do this for him?

Just trying to figure out our schedule. :)
I think you're on track for how it was set up in the past (just checked the '17 event guide) BUT for Wine & Dine it was a different layout so things could change in '18. It will be interesting once the event guide comes out to see if it's the same or not.

Thanks for posting the breakdown by proof of time submissions. I was curious on that since I haven't run a full since 2014 and my last half was a PR by a long shot. If they keep that same structure, I'll be in either A or B thanks to that HM PR time.

I would not count on gels being offered. Cliff is no longer a sponsor, which means the course is likely to offer Sportbeans instead.
Thats terrible. I understand the agreement with Clif ending and if you have a new "nutrition" sponsor and they cant supply gels you should find somebody who should.

I have used a ton of products, including SportsBeans. They work as well as most products for me, but you have to be careful of high/low blood sugar swings. It is all about training with what you are going to use in the race so you know how to manage it on race day.

More like #ByeClifBarFelicia ... I don't think we get the bars ever since RD changed from Clif gels to SportsBeans.
Ohhh that excites me. The gels were always hit or miss because the caffeine ones did not work well for me while any sports beans will do.
The marathon weekend bags normally actually (gasp!) have reference to the races in the prints, and I think that makes non-runners more hesitant to actually buy them. :confused3 In past years bags from this weekend as well as Disneyland Half weekend (again, where they actually put the races in the patterns) have ended up for sale at the outlets months later at a discount. My very non-scientific research (reading the Dooney groups) tells me this print is a little more well-received by non-runners, so it may sell better, but larger, more detailed pictures would really help I think.
From what I can tell this definitely has references to the races so I'm surprised non-runners want it. I guess because it's small they like it better? The angry looking Donald says '13.1 Miles' from what I can tell and the Goofy Challenge also looks to be one of the icons. There is also the words marathon on the one with the red background but that's all I can make out.
- 5th Wine & Dine (2014): a cork coaster that my dog ate
Tragic.

From what I can tell this definitely has references to the races so I'm surprised non-runners want it. I guess because it's small they like it better? The angry looking Donald says '13.1 Miles' from what I can tell and the Goofy Challenge also looks to be one of the icons. There is also the words marathon on the one with the red background but that's all I can make out.
Yep! I never understand why non-runners want the race bags. :confused3 Maybe once there are larger/more high-resolution pictures of the bags released people won't want them, because I agree, there are definitely references to Marathon Weekend on it besides the hangtag.
Good thing he's cute! ;)

Welcome to the boards and to this forum in particular. I think it's the best forum on the DIS, but I'm biased. :D Be careful running your first runDisney event. They are addictive. And, ask away. We are a very welcoming group.

Another great resource for questions is the runDisney Events and Registrations FAQ thread and for just good general running talk and a great place to get to know other members is The Running Thread . Jump right in.

Yep! I never understand why non-runners want the race bags. :confused3 Maybe once there are larger/more high-resolution pictures of the bags released people won't want them, because I agree, there are definitely references to Marathon Weekend on it besides the hangtag.
I do understand if the Princess/Tink don't reference the race outside of the tags if a non-runner is a big Princess or Tink fan but otherwise why would you want something for an event you didn't participate in. Unless you have every Disney D&B pattern in which case... wow.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter