Marathon Weekend 2018

I was trying to figure out what is the coldest it could possibly be in an effort to figure out what I need to pack.

The worst cold weather you could expect to see is a repeat of Disney on Ice in 2010. Saturday was 33-35 for the entire morning with freezing rain and sleet. That's about as cold and nasty as Florida gets. Sunday in 2010 was 28 at the start with clear skies and very brisk wind, and without the wetness, it was a beautiful day for a run.

For packing, the coldest you'll be is waiting in the corral before you start. Cheap sweats from Goodwill or Walmart make good throw-away clothes. Once you're running, you'll warm up quickly. The general rule of thumb is to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is because you heat up from running.

I was trying to figure out what is the coldest it could possibly be in an effort to figure out what I need to pack.

I think at the coldest end of the spectrum we have the 2010 Disney on Ice weekend. I think there was sleet and some snow flurries during the half and temps at the start of the full were below freezing. I think there were thermometer pictures showing temps about 25 degrees. My first marathon weekend wasn't till the year after that, but i heard lots of stories about it.

Curious -- where did you do a long run at WDW? I've tried to track out runs but find the lack of walking paths make it difficult. I'm staying a couple of days before Christmas at SSR before doing the half in January and I'm trying to find a route.
This is pretty close to my go to OKW to SSR to DisneySprings link. The last time I ran this loop was before the additional security measures at Disney Springs so I am not sure how early you can get in across that bridge. I know I've tried to run across from the Hilton and they were preventing people from getting into Disney Springs at about 6am .

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 12.02.13 PM.png

Last edited:
The worst cold weather you could expect to see is a repeat of Disney on Ice in 2010. Saturday was 33-35 for the entire morning with freezing rain and sleet. That's about as cold and nasty as Florida gets. Sunday in 2010 was 28 at the start with clear skies and very brisk wind, and without the wetness, it was a beautiful day for a run.

For packing, the coldest you'll be is waiting in the corral before you start. Cheap sweats from Goodwill or Walmart make good throw-away clothes. Once you're running, you'll warm up quickly. The general rule of thumb is to dress for 10 degrees warmer than it is because you heat up from running.

You beat me to it. I spent to long mucking with the photo upload feature.

If you are going to use sweats and they have elastic on the bottom you might want to slit the bottoms of the legs so you can get them off over your shoes with out much difficulty. A cheap throwaway blanket can be nice too, I've also seen that some people have good luck with bathrobes as a way to stay warm pre-race.

So, 2010 marathon weekend... I wasn't running, but I was there and I was outside early the mornings of the half and full. I'm originally from WNY, so yes, I really do know what cold is, despite being a 20+ year Floridian. ;) I knew it was going to be cold, but I was totally unprepared to see SNOW! I was sitting in my car, letting it warm up while texting a friend that we were on our way, when I noticed something in my peripheral vision... something landing on my windshield... something... solid-ish... and flaky... what on earth??? Yep, snow. Wet, and closer to sleet, than actual flakes, but 100% SNOW. In Florida! Madness!!

Anyway, that was weird, and it was indeed chilly, but when we absolutely froze was the next morning. I had on wool tights under jeans, plus cashmere knee socks, a cotton turtleneck topped with a wool sweater and down jacket, cashmere hat, scarf and gloves. I was numb by the time I got from my car in the EP parking lot into the Land pavilion. Could not feel my toes at all. That trip scarred me for life, lol! I couldn't imagine trying to run in that.

Sorry - we Floridians get all nostalgic remembering The Year It SNOWED! Carry on...

ETA: oh, and that was the coldest I've ever experienced since moving down here in the early 90s. The Frozen 5K was close, and the marathon this year was darned cold, but nothing has yet to beat 2010.

I had 7 layers of tops on for 2010 and didn't shed one. You saw people picking up clothes that had been discarded during the race and putting them on because it never really warmed up.
For the water stops, there were times you had to break a layer of ice on the cup to drink the water.

It was my first marathon and was definitely memorable.

Looking for 6-8 miles. I was thinking Disney Springs and OKW. I wasn't sure if it was possible to run on the LBV golf course.

Hey folks! Has anyone put out the data on corral assignments and times needed to get in those corrals for the 2017 marathon? For 2018 you wont find out corral placement until much closer to race day if I remember correctly??? If someone has the answer to my first question, could you point me in the right direction? TIA

Hey folks! Has anyone put out the data on corral assignments and times needed to get in those corrals for the 2017 marathon? For 2018 you wont find out corral placement until much closer to race day if I remember correctly??? If someone has the answer to my first question, could you point me in the right direction? TIA
Is this what you are looking for?

marathon-2017-corrals-650x445.jpg

Perfect!

Now, has anyone figured out the formula runDisney uses to convert your 10 miler or half marathon race time to marathon projected time?

Thanks for the help folks! I look forward to hearing how yalls races go and being a part of the version of this thread for the 2019 marathon.
I think it's pretty close to using this https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/
It's what I've always read to use.

Oh gosh Now I'm really getting all antsy for corrals, event guide, map, etc.....

Just jumping in here to say Hi. I've been following the conversation and have enjoyed the discussion. Wow, we are really getting close! Stalking weather, guessing at corrals, most of us reaching those higher double-digit miles, making fast passes. :) Soon I'll start having my typical "getting lost on the course" nightmares!

I really don't know what to expect for the 25th. I should not get my hopes up too high, but I would really like a little extra 25th anniversary swag. But overall, I am looking forward to just being able to be there for this race.

And on the topic of weather - I'm from the north and I'm still hoping for weather on the warmer side. How about 50-60's for the race, overcast, light breeze with a sudden heat wave in the afternoon for some pool time? This would feel great before heading back to a cold winter.

If RD holds true to form, we'll definitely be getting an anniversary luggage tag ...
I personally would like a luggage tag for all anniversary races. I understand that's slightly unreasonable so I'll take Dopey and/or just the Marathon.

I've definitely got the throwaway clothes down. 33-35 isn't too bad for me but the added freezing rain/sleet could be problematic. I'll have to consider a solution for that whether it's a garbage bag or a waterproof running jacket.

I think at the coldest end of the spectrum we have the 2010 Disney on Ice weekend. I think there was sleet and some snow flurries during the half and temps at the start of the full were below freezing. I think there were thermometer pictures showing temps about 25 degrees. My first marathon weekend wasn't till the year after that, but i heard lots of stories about it.
Seems doable. I would prefer it without the precipitation though.

Wow...its been a few years since Ive done WDW Marathon but thats a bit different than I remember. Wasnt the A corral much bigger in previous years?

Looks like the change was made in 2014 to more corrals (and thus less people per corral). 2013 was the last Disney Marathon with a larger "A" corral.

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 7.55.59 AM.png

I believe it's helpful to have the smaller corrals as to spread out the runners a bit more and have people of similar paces more closely packed together at the start. Although with a Disney race, the character stops kind of re-disperse the crowd on the course between faster and slower runners. One of the things I pay attention to when the corrals come out is the combined number of runners (Marathon/Goofy/Dopey) in the corrals ahead of me. This is important because the earlier corrals are weighted with less people and thus less of a % of the field.

In 2013, Marathon Corral A was 1762+50+1434 (goofy) = 3246 runners
In 2017, Marathon Corral A through D was 1513+412+1149 = 3074 runners, but corral E through H (same number of corrals at 4) has 2296+798+2894 = 5988 runners.

Perfect!

Now, has anyone figured out the formula runDisney uses to convert your 10 miler or half marathon race time to marathon projected time?

Thanks for the help folks! I look forward to hearing how yalls races go and being a part of the version of this thread for the 2019 marathon.

This is the past two years Marathon/Goofy/Dopey corral system. The "10 mile" and "HM" times are the McMillan "Marathon" race equivalents. Thus, if you ran a 1:24:40 10 miler POT, then you're likely to have been in corral D in 2016 and 2017. These are best guesses and by no means official.

Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 7.58.26 AM.png

I really don't know what to expect for the 25th. I should not get my hopes up too high, but I would really like a little extra 25th anniversary swag.
I think you can expect something a little extra on each of the shirts for the race/challenge anniversaries, and the medals obviously will have the anniversaries noted (though, I guess they didn't do that for the 5K or 10K)...

As for extra expo swag, this is what I've gotten from anniversary events I've done with runDisney (that I can remember, I could be forgetting some):

- 20th marathon (2013): shoelaces and a pin (a big round pin, like the "I'm Celebrating" pins)
- 5th Wine & Dine (2014): a cork coaster that my dog ate
- 10th Goofy (2015): a credit card holder that you stick on the back of your phone
- 10th Disneyland Half (2015): luggage tag
- 20th WDW half (2017): luggage tag

Soooo yeah, luggage tag is probably a safe bet. Along with a Clif bar or whatever. I think that's literally all you can expect from your expo bag.
Ok, is it just me or can anyone tell what that pattern is, exactly? I feel like I am blind looking at it, can't make out anything. Plus zooming in just makes it blurry? :confused3
That's the biggest picture available right now! It comes from here: https://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/registration (scroll down toward the bottom)

Zooming in on my computer, I can see the partners statue, "13.1 miles," "Goofy Challenge," etc....Epcot Center, 3 Caballeros, the fab 5, park maps, stuff like that. Basically just a collage of stuff from the parks. I think it's one of the better Dooney designs to have come out recently (and GOOD LORD have they come out with a lot recently).

It's funny because I first saw this picture posted in a Dooney Facebook group, and some of the members are complaining that it's a runner-specific bag........

......it's the Marathon Weekend Dooney!! Come on. :rolleyes2 Not like there aren't plenty of other patterns to choose from.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter