Marathon Weekend 2018

18yo made a costume decision for the half. Hooray! Peter Pan, which is sweet because 18yo actually did grow up! Very nostalgic based on memories of him at Disney when he was little and loved Peter Pan. I already have the components of a Tink outfit that I wore for the 10K this year. And I'm recycling my Minnie stuff for the full. So I guess I'll be re-routing my costume funds.

Right there with ya @rteetz missed a run yesterday because of a cold after having missed 10 days because of an injury!!! Frustrating.

Hope you feel better soon!

My training is suffering this week. I got pretty sick on Tuesday so much so my whole body hurt and I felt like I got ran over by a truck so that made me cancel my run that day. Wednesday was a little better but not much. Today I finally got out for a run but only mustered 2.25 miles because I felt like I needed to throw up but luckily didn't. Hopefully I am back to 100% by the weekend.
Oh my goodness! I hope you don't have the flu!! Rest! Feel better!

This Floridian is taking notes on the winter gear info - thanks all! For the Frozen 5K of 2015, I wore: long sleeve tech shirt (brushed on inside), tech tights (brushed on inside), cotton short sleeve tee over base layer, wool hat, knit gloves, neck gaiter, down jacket... and I was comfortable. For the marathon this year, I wore: regular (non-thermal) tech tights, (non-thermal) tech long sleeve tee, tech short sleeve tee, mock-turtle thermal long sleeve top, knit gloves, fleece ear warmer, neck gaiter, my son's outgrown knit pajama pants, and his outgrown fleece jacket. I also had heat packs in both gloves, both shoes (until I started), and in my pockets. I made the mistake of ditching the pajama pants and jacket at mile 1 and regretted it the moment I turned onto World Dr, right into the wind - GAH!!! I literally had no feeling in my legs until the halfway point.

I'd like to not repeat that experience, lol, so I bought some thicker, brushed tech tights for this year, and found that I can easily layer them under another pair of tights, as needed. I'm thinking maybe I'd have been well served by throwing a windbreaker on top of my tech shirt layers, yes? I have one of those that I use for rainy days in the theme parks.

This Floridian is taking notes on the winter gear info - thanks all! For the Frozen 5K of 2015, I wore: long sleeve tech shirt (brushed on inside), tech tights (brushed on inside), cotton short sleeve tee over base layer, wool hat, knit gloves, neck gaiter, down jacket... and I was comfortable. For the marathon this year, I wore: regular (non-thermal) tech tights, (non-thermal) tech long sleeve tee, tech short sleeve tee, mock-turtle thermal long sleeve top, knit gloves, fleece ear warmer, neck gaiter, my son's outgrown knit pajama pants, and his outgrown fleece jacket. I also had heat packs in both gloves, both shoes (until I started), and in my pockets. I made the mistake of ditching the pajama pants and jacket at mile 1 and regretted it the moment I turned onto World Dr, right into the wind - GAH!!! I literally had no feeling in my legs until the halfway point.

I'd like to not repeat that experience, lol, so I bought some thicker, brushed tech tights for this year, and found that I can easily layer them under another pair of tights, as needed. I'm thinking maybe I'd have been well served by throwing a windbreaker on top of my tech shirt layers, yes? I have one of those that I use for rainy days in the theme parks.

Wow! That's a lot of gear to be wearing during a marathon, another good example example of how we're all an experiment of one. I wore compression tights, long sleeve top, cheap polyester gloves, a headband, and a minimalist jacket. The jacket and headband didn't last long.

Wow! That's a lot of gear to be wearing during a marathon, another good example example of how we're all an experiment of one. I wore compression tights, long sleeve top, cheap polyester gloves, a headband, and a minimalist jacket. The jacket and headband didn't last long.

I did a half last year in the snow/sleet.

This Baton Rouge boy froze. My saving grace is that I had some cotton gloves (that worked darn well) and a skull cap that covered my ears ... I always have my ‘throw away’ long sleeve shirt in the corral .... I kept it on ... I had my wind breaker too, thankfully. Ears, hands and core were cold, but ok. Legs and feet froze ... but it could have been worse.

I bring all kinds of stuff wherever I travel to now ... goodwill either loves me or hates me.

Wow! That's a lot of gear to be wearing during a marathon, another good example example of how we're all an experiment of one.
I think the hitch is that I never had any long training runs in that kind of cold, so I was flying blind; I genuinely thought I'd warm up over the miles and want to ditch stuff, so I just layered a bunch of FL-weight things. I did ditch the thermal mock-turtle at the end of the AK portion, but kept the rest until the end. I never could handle the cold as a northerner, and after 25 years as a Floridian it has not improved! ;) But I survived and now I know and am better prepared... which probably guarantees 2018 will be hot, lol!

My training is suffering this week. I got pretty sick on Tuesday so much so my whole body hurt and I felt like I got ran over by a truck so that made me cancel my run that day. Wednesday was a little better but not much. Today I finally got out for a run but only mustered 2.25 miles because I felt like I needed to throw up but luckily didn't. Hopefully I am back to 100% by the weekend.
Sounds like the virus I had last week. Nauseated but never threw up. Still I became dehydrated because of the sweats and chills and ended up needing fluids and missing a full week of running. Try to stay hydrated no matter what. I ran 6 mi. today and felt good for the first time in a week and a half. As a "youngster" I hope you will feel better much faster. Now getting pumped for W&D races!!!

I find the hardest part of cold weather/winter running is just getting out the door. It's hard to leave your cozy home and subject yourself to various, harsh elements, but it's always worth it and I rarely regret a run.

For anything above 50 degrees: shorts & tank
40-50: capris & T-shirt
30-40: pants & long sleeves, gloves
10-30: fleece lined pants & jacket, gloves, headband
Below 10: treadmill

Last February I ran a half marathon in the snow and the temperature only got up to a lovely 8 degrees. I had frost on my eyelashes. I remember thinking we runners are a crazy bunch of fools!o_O

Listen, pal - you saw it first-hand that I wore three pairs of leggings, three baselayers and a North Face jacket during Marathon this year.

ALSO -- don't forget that teal sweatshirt you loved so much!

ETA: PHOTO PROOF!!!!

Screen Shot 2017-10-27 at 12.58.15 AM.png

Last edited:
Not to get sappy ... but I had to scroll through quite a few Marathon Weekend pictures to find this ^^ one and it gave me all the "feels". The gal on the far left, I've been tight with for 15 years. And then the other two - well, I met them via these boards and they've become two of my closest friends as well.

Crazy.

Listen, pal - you saw it first-hand that I wore three pairs of leggings, three baselayers and a North Face jacket during Marathon this year.

ALSO -- don't forget that teal sweatshirt you loved so much!

ETA: PHOTO PROOF!!!!

View attachment 279797

That teal sweatshirt was a great way to keep warm on the walk to the corral, where it was sadly discarded. It lived a short but happy life. :)

That teal sweatshirt was a great way to keep warm on the walk to the corral, where it was sadly discarded. It lived a short but happy life. :)

Ah, the joys of race toss clothing. I am already stockpiling mine. I scored a nice fleece jacket at the school district garage sale last Friday while I was volunteering (I always pick prepping the clothes section for this reason!) Add in some WDW race volunteer shells , and the pile is progressing nicely.

i never thought about the old pajama pants until a few posters said that here. that's a great idea. I've got quite a few old long-sleeve race shirts that I never wear that I was going to use race mornings if it's cold.

For those of you training in northern climates...what is your go-to attire for running when the temps dip down into the 20s and 30s? I am mainly wondering in terms of long-sleeve shirts/layers that you prefer. I want to stay as warm as possible while not being bulky.

If it's below freezing I'll wear a merino wool base layer, then another layer and maybe a gillet, lined tights or just normal tights with shorts over the top. I usually wear a buff on my head, wool if it's cold, cotton if it's warm. Other than that it's trying to stay dry so a shower-proof shell jacket. Plus a bucket load of balm on my face.

@Keels, love the marathon weekend photo! My parents are in Florida too, so I often arrive in the general area at least a week before marathon weekend with at least one kid (if not all three) and stuff for different weather in the suitcases. So I had gear for that morning too.

The key for me was the fuzzy socks. I bring a bunch of fuzzy socks every year ($1.50 each at Target), cut out feet and then wear on my legs (very nostalgic - looking so 80s.) For the marathon this year, I wore another pair of fuzzy socks on my arms over long sleeves with arm warmers underneath. I ditched both by the end of the race - but never let go of the long sleeves or the arm warmers underneath. Cold!

Running gear by weather:

Above 60 - shorts and tank top
50-60 - shorts and t-shirt
40-50 - shorts (if low 40s, maybe capris) and long-sleeved shirt
30-40 - capris, long-sleeved shirt, lightweight jacket, headband, lightweight gloves (Just ran 11 miles when it was 33 degrees yesterday and wore all of this. Ditched gloves at 5 miles, jacket halfway unzipped most of the run, but otherwise comfortable)
20-30 - capris or tights, long-sleeved shirt, jacket, headband, heavier gloves
10-20 - no way!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter