Marathon Weekend 2018

@Keels
The key for me was the fuzzy socks. I bring a bunch of fuzzy socks every year ($1.50 each at Target), cut out feet and then wear on my legs (very nostalgic - looking so 80s.) For the marathon this year, I wore another pair of fuzzy socks on my arms over long sleeves with arm warmers underneath. I ditched both by the end of the race - but never let go of the long sleeves or the arm warmers underneath. Cold!
This is such a great idea!! My mother-in-law always (very sweetly) sticks holiday themed socks in the packages she sends me, and this is such a great use for them- thanks!

<--- throwaway stockpiler ;) A teenage son = lots of outgrown items that fit me! I also hoard old rD long sleeve shirts as a throwaway layer on cool, but not cold, race mornings. I have a metric ton of them and really do NOT need that many for daily use, lol! Worn out cardigan sweaters are great, too: once pilled and/or faded to the point where I can't use them for work anymore, they become race throwaways.

My favorite throw-away attire was a post-Saint Patrick's Day markdown of green and white striped knee socks that said 'I love beer.' Great arm warmers. I also use long sleeve race shirts. Haven't been able to bring myself to use a Disney shirt, except the 2005 half shirt, which was pretty plain.

We buy Hanes sweatshirts from Walmart every year for throwaway. They are warm and soft and we buy them big. They are great for lounging around the house too when it's chilly. We try to buy some at the end of the season when they get marked down to around $4 each. They come in some great obnoxious colors too like highlighter yellow and hunter orange. :D

Thank you for the idea re: fuzzy socks @pixarmom! Fuzzy socks are used frequently in this household during the winter, due to complaints from DH about my cold toesies! I was about to get rid of a pair with the start of a hole, but aha, I shall pack them for marathon weekend!!!

just a heads up and reminder that fast pass season is among us for WDW race weekend trips. I head out on Dec 27th, and was able to make all my fast passes for the 27th to January 8th at 9pm PST tonight. Concierge had told me that I would need to do it day by day, but nope, could do the whole trip. Happy planning!!!!!

just a heads up and reminder that fast pass season is among us for WDW race weekend trips. I head out on Dec 27th, and was able to make all my fast passes for the 27th to January 8th at 9pm PST tonight. Concierge had told me that I would need to do it day by day, but nope, could do the whole trip. Happy planning!!!!!
That’s weird concierge would tell you that. If you have a WDW resort stay booked you can book FP for your entire stay (60+10) at 60 days:

That’s weird concierge would tell you that. If you have a WDW resort stay booked you can book FP for your entire stay (60+10) at 60 days:

agree. I thought it was the length of trip, but they were adamant that it wasn't.

they also told me it was 6am florida time. it wasn't. it was midnight florida time. (so 9pm on the west coast)

glad I looked when I got home
All good. Got the parks I wanted on the days I wanted.
Flight of Passage a couple times now that I am addicted after my trip the past week.
and Photos with the Fab 5 scheduled for the afternoon of the marathon to keep my butt moving around. LOL

Well, my half marathon plan may potentially have been too good to be true. The travel agent I'm talking to still has a race spot left, but there may not be any hotel rooms. He says he's gotten 2 different messages, one that there are no more rooms and one that there might be a few, so he has emailed someone to get it clarified and is waiting for that info. Fingers crossed that there is something, but if there's not then I guess I won't be making it work. :(

10K and 1/2 marathon training is officially underway and what better way to celebrate it with my local store having a BOGO sale on fig newtons! Good news /bad news, the sale ends next Wednesday so there could be a lot of BOGOs between now and then. Move over twizzlers and make room for the fig newtons!

Well, my half marathon plan may potentially have been too good to be true. The travel agent I'm talking to still has a race spot left, but there may not be any hotel rooms. He says he's gotten 2 different messages, one that there are no more rooms and one that there might be a few, so he has emailed someone to get it clarified and is waiting for that info. Fingers crossed that there is something, but if there's not then I guess I won't be making it work. :(

He’s not wrong - 1/5 is sold out via Disney/Disney Travel and most charities are sold out for 1/4.

:sad1:

Got my hopes up too high and now I'm really disappointed. I would have planned sooner but it's so hard with a school schedule.

That said ... blocks close on Nov. 1, so you might be OK!

The good thing about working with a TA is we have waitlist access that only specialty groups (weddings, DVC) have access to.

Ok...newbie to Disney races here!! We are in the 5k. Can someone tell me how we are supposed to get to the Expo to pick up the race kits? We will be at Hollywood Studios on Jan 3rd. Can we go from there or from our resort?
Also, what do people wear? Not a lot of experience with Orlando weather on Jan 4th at 4:30-6:30 AM!! I’m from Canada...so used to cold meaning below 0 Celsius! How “cool” is it??
Thanks!!!

Ok...newbie to Disney races here!! We are in the 5k. Can someone tell me how we are supposed to get to the Expo to pick up the race kits? We will be at Hollywood Studios on Jan 3rd. Can we go from there or from our resort?
Also, what do people wear? Not a lot of experience with Orlando weather on Jan 4th at 4:30-6:30 AM!! I’m from Canada...so used to cold meaning below 0 Celsius! How “cool” is it??
Thanks!!!
There are buses from the resorts only (not the parks). You could take a cab/Uber or Walk/boat to an Epcot resort (Swan/Dolphin/Yacht Club/Beach Club/Boardwalk) and get an expo bus there.

Weather varies - prepare for anything and pack layers, but I’m sure it won’t meet your definition of “cold.” :) Make sure to bring throwaway clothes for the wait in the corrals - just extra layers to keep warm that you can toss. Disney will pick up the clothes, clean them and donat them to charity.

Happy Sunday! As always Sundays are for Disney.

Today’s Sundays are for Disney question: what’s the first thing you do when you arrive on Disney property? Hang out at the hotel? Head to the parks? Find something to eat? Something else?

My answer: I’m usually one to drop off the bags at the hotel and head right for the parks. Usually when I arrive it’s too early for the room to be ready so no point in waiting around for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter