marathon training thread for 10/17-10/24

Well I did get a 3 mile "WOG" done today. (Love that word) in 50 minutes. now I just have to knock off a bit of time and do it 4 times. No problem. I have to say that my working out with the eliptical (finally found a real spelling) machine is making me stronger and therefore dropping my time because I can run longer distances and walk less. I am feeling a bit down , not sure why. At least I have Thurs , Fri. off for MN Teacher convention. Only two meetings tomorrow and then time for me. Maybe I just need some me time.

Don't remember who mentioned Turkey Trot, but I am organizing a 5 K Turkey Trot for the day after Thanksgiving as a fund/food raiser for our food shelf. Don't ask how I got my self into this but I'm getting really excited. It might be snowing sideways here, but were pretty tough.

Does anyone know what the temp was at last years marathon? Just curious.
Cold is not one of my fears. I am an ice fisherwoman and I snowmobile and snowshoe.

Love this 40-50 degree weather for running, just perfect.

Have a great Thursday!!

Last year's marathon was *heck*ish!!!! Terrible cold winds...we will have NOTHING LIKE THAT in '05 thank you very much!

You do need to be prepared with layers of disposable clothing. It will be COLD at 6AM, no matter how nice the day turns out. All clothing that is removed during the race is donated to charity. One thing I don't know is.....where do you put your race #...on the 'bottom-most' layer?

I've been fighting this stupid cold all week, and haven't done my workouts!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: I'm doing SOMETHING tomorrow no matter how I feel.....well, something gentle if I'm still feeling bad, but I WANT my 4 mile walk this weekend ::yes::

Well, I'm off to watch "Lost"...yes I'm addicted. Then I'm going to bed early so I'll hopefully feel better tomorrow

Keep up the good work everyone!

Karen I'm here, I'm here!

Sorry I haven't posted in awhile but we were having computer problems for awhile and things have been hectic. DD has been playing volleyball and between her games, practices and tournaments that has been keeping us doing alot of extra running. This is her first year playing volleyball and I will actually be sad to see the season end next week even though it has taken up alot of time. It has been so much fun watching the games and seeing here and the other girls improve! They came in third in their last tournament and got tropheys and they are currently in a tournament where they play again on Sun. and if they win they will get first place tropheys!
I also recently signed up to be a Stampin Up demonstrator (mainly to support my own stamping habit ;) ) and my friend has been helping me get some things going with that which has been a bit time consuming. So I'll admit it I am very behind in reading the training thread, I only skimmed through this page of this week so I need to get caught up with that (and last weeks) and today I walked/jogged for the first time in a week (but I have done a little cross training too). I need to refocus on my training (and my eating again) and I need to get back to this inspiring thread. I did really good with the eating today but I am STARVING right now but I have my bracelet on and I WILL NOT eat anything because it is long past 7:00. I must resist, I must resist!!!!

Sorry this got so long and all about me now I need to get some sleep because tomorrow is my looooong day/night at work but I am going to print this thread so that I can hopefully read it and get caught up at lunch or dinner at work.

Keep up the great training everyone and keep moving! I promise to get recommitted to this!

Cheryl :wave:

Just time for a quick post - I am sure I will post a nice smilie filled post later ;) - but I wanted to answer the number question....

According the MFM, he suggested cutting a 'tv' hole in the layer above your number so it shows through. I believe he was talking about the plastic bag we will all probably be sporting at the start line!

Bebr, could you PLEASE share the travel web site with me?!? Airfare from St Louis is pushing $300 round trip. That's insanity!! :crazy2:

I did my crossing training today. I have been experiencing quite a bit of pain in my right thigh, but it is at my injection site, so I am simply moving on. Tomorrow is my looooooooong day. Okay - long for me. 4 miles! We're walking, walking, walking.... :hyper:

cheryl- I so understand the pain and joy of watching your child play a sport. Most of my posts in the past 3 months have had some reference to SOCCER. I have two girls that play. Last Sat. i watched them lose a tough fought battle in 32 degree temps with wind. They were such troopers!!!

I'm not really sure what to do with myself right now. I think it is withdrawls. I think I will fill my extra time with training. Yah-Right! I'll increase it somewhat but I need to rest after our 6 mon season. Both girls are kind of wandering around lost too. THey are such darlings.

Just lurking around because I have free time and don't have to get up before the sun tomorrow.

Hi all! Things have been pretty hectic here. I've been doing pretty good with my eating choices and I've gotten in a few mall walks this week. However, the great big news in our house is...the bathroom is finished!!! It really is beautiful. In fact, I think it's the nicest room in the house now. Even better, it's the last room in the house that we'll have to live in while it's being renovated. DH is going to start turning the attic into a master bedroom suite this winter, but it's now completely empty and we don't use it for anything.

I had a question about this wogging. Can anyone explain the movent involved? I'm having a hard time picturing how it's done.

I also wanted to let you know that there is a code for the general public available for the time of the marathon. As far as I can tell though, there is little availability for that weekend. It just came out this morning and they didn't have any rooms at POP for that price ($55). There were rooms at the other three values and a few premium rooms at some of the moderate and deluxe resorts. We're going to keep our POP reservation with the AAA discount. We've been looking forward to staying there. Hopefully someone else has better luck applying the code to their reservation.

Oh yeah! I did it!!! Michelle and I completed our - okay - *MY* first long distance training session. We did 4 miles today at the local park. I encountered a lot of tightness in my calves but as we walked and got into the 'groove', my leg loosened up some. No record breaking speed but I finished! Woo hoo!! I am happy happy!!

Now, if I could get a discount on my room, I would be even happier! A decent airfare would put me on :cloud9: !!

GO CARDINALS!!!!!

Good Thursday Afternoon Everyone!!!

My foot is still giving me some trouble but I still went out walking last night. I did a slow 30 minute walk which was about 1 1/2 miles. I actually found it hard to walk slow when I wanted to pick up the speed a bit. I'm pretty sure it's my shoes!! I have two pair of Adidas and they both hurt my foot in the same place. My spare shoes (Reebok--which is what my physiotherapist told me not to walk in) seem to work fine but don't really have a lot of support. I'm not doing any long walks until after I get back from Disney. I don't want my vacation ruined with a sore foot. It doesn't hurt when I wear my Birkenstock sandals so that's what I'll be wearing while touring the Kingdom.

Terry, good for you walking four miles. I remember the first time I did that. I felt like I had just walked the marathon. It's amazing how quickly we can walk longer and longer distances with not too many ill effects. Keep it up and you'll be over the finish line way ahead of me.

It's too bad that life gets in the way of us being 100% on program, both training and eating. It doesn't really matter because we are waaay ahead of where we were this time last year.

You all inspire me and I'm looking forward to seeing you in January. Ashley, I have some artwork that is a non-licensed Mickey type head that we could use for the logo. If you want I could email it to you to see what you think. PM me if you think this is a good idea.

Have a magical day everyone!!:wave:

Everyone is going along quite well. Don't give up now! I am heading off to bed so I won't make this too long.

Ashley, I hope you can figure out where to squeeze in more time for you. Keep looking.

Kim, I hope you didn't get pushed to much. Don't they know you're in training!

Susan, hope you get that shoe thing worked out. That is a major problem there.

Terry, Whooo Hooo on those 4 miles!

Dawn, Yay for your new bathroom. Hope you are finding training time now too. That would be me about the Wogging. I mentioned that I kind of walk and jog and it isn't exactly pretty. I just call it a Wog and the word kind of hooked.

Beckie, yes, more training now that you have all the time in the world.

Cheryl, don't get lost now. You can do this. Keep at it. Yay for volleyball! I played that in college back in the day.

Jackie, thanks for the info on the marathon day. I know I will be asking again so sorry in advance. Hope you are feeling better. You are right to not push it. I know that you want to be out there. I haven't been and I miss it much.

Molli, thanks for the jumbo hugs! Hope you are getting through to.

Bev, I have been wearing the bracelet you sent and send prayers to you for it and hope that you are doing great too.

I went to the gym with DH today and did some recumbant bike work, a machine circuit, jogging the small track for about 30 minutes then swam a couple of laps.

Everyone, I am sorry if I missed you. I didn't mean to overlook. I am just lazy and only worked from this page that lists under my reply.

Keep on keepin' on. We can do this!

TGIF:)

It is a bit chilly here but managed a whopping 7 mile walk:Pinkbounc :bounce: I still feel a bit chilly but I'll warm up after my grilled chick dinner:tongue:

This week ds was soo sick so I've been the nurse mommy and I'm exhausted:crazy: know what I mean? and now dh thinks he's coming down with something:rolleyes:

AEG - please pm me the site for airfare - love to compare rates. Looking to snag something soon.

Jackie - I'm a LOST fan too:earseek: love it! who drowned swimming - missed the first few min?

Thanks Karen for the location of the marathon bars! I bought 1 multi grain & 1 chewy choc, any preference? sending me to walmart is dangerous, I don't know what I bought but my bill was was tooo much:teeth:

Kim - sorry to hear about training! thanks for joining, I love your idea of linking arms, will we be chanting also? it reminds me of the airforce training in an Officer & a Gentleman;) you think Richard Gere would be willing to help us?

To all of you - thanks for your inspiration:wave:

Originally posted by Debbie

I've heard of a pedometer, but the Heart Monitor? Where did you get it, and how much $$$?

:eek: Sorry I missed this, Debbie! :o

In my post I was referring to the heart monitor that came with my treadmill. I also have a Polar Heart Monitor. You can find more info here . I selected the basic A3 (cheapest) model and found in at a bike shop in TN. I believe I paid around $65, but I know the owner of the shop and got a discount. :D The monitors can be found in many sporting goods stores, as well as specialty stores.

There is a strap you wear under your clothing, just under your bra line. You also wear the 'watch' which will show your heart rate. It helps me make sure I am staying in the zone I want, whether is it 65-75% or higher. I hope that helps!

Today was my day of rest, thankyouverymuch. See everyone tomorrow!! :wave2:

Hello, everyone. It sounds like we're doing okay. I could use some help and significant butt pushing on the eating front.

My training is going just as I want. Easy walks, long walks, rests :bounce: , some crosstraining at Curves -I'd like to do more, but I think that a 30-60 minute walk is more vital to me than an extra day or 2 at Curves. . . and I don't want to wear myself out by doing both:rolleyes:

My weight, however, is another thing. You know how you tend to "eat for two" when you're pregnant? I think that I somehow got it in my mind that I have to eat (a lot) more for this training. Don't want to get into a "starvation mode" now, do we???

The weight has continued to climb. I am now walking (good 16-17 min/mile pace, mind) carrying at least 2 10-pound bags of potatoes with me. :sad2: I've GOT to overcome this! Just think how my pace would improve with 20 pounds gone!

For me, I know that exercising in the morning is the key. I have GOT to get out of bed at 5:30 :eek: to do something. I need some real badgering, I think, to get this done.

That said, I'm on the right track--it isn't 8:00 am yet :tongue: --today. I got up at 6:15 (normal time) and did the 2 mile WATP. THEN, I went outside and did (my first) stride drills. Only 5 minutes or so, but I did 6 walk/WOG sets (light pole to light pole), really concentrating on the form, speed, and time of the sets. I came in and had a bowl of cereal, 3/4 oz of cheese, and some tea. I'll have a small banana later. Somebody slap the food out of my hands!

On a totally off topic track, I did some Christmas shopping yesterday, and am almost done the extended family stuff. YEAH!!!

Good luck everyone! But especially to my 2 sisters who are doing the Niagara Falls (Canada) Half Marathon tomorrow. I can hardly wait to hear all about it!!!! LYMI

DH suggests that I use ice on my "hammies" after exercise so this post is not kkeeping me from cleaning the "messiness" around me - this one is therapeutic :teeth:

Just did 8.5 miles and I was pleased that I did it in 1:58:40. Today I tried eating an english muffin and honey and I felt so much stronger starting out. I was 1-1/2 minutes faster than last week at the first 1.5 miles mark and 4 minutes faster at the next check and did the last 1.5 miles in a 1 -1/2 minutes faster than when I started today. I think there IS something to be said for making sure that you have fuel before you start out. I was tired when I got home and if I had planned on more than 8 miles I would have taken an energy booster of somekind with me too.

Other thing I want to start jotting down (cause my memory is bad) is what the temp is and what I am wearing and how I do in the clothes I choose. I have been starting out with a short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve one and end up taking the lg sleever off (I am getting good at it - but I try not to think what I look like while I am accomplishing it) This week I wore shorts (temp 51) but last week I had on legging type pants and I was way too hot. I remember that the reports from last year was that it was very cold and windy (Ibounce said that too) so it might be tricky to figure out an "outfit" - I vote for a warm, balmy morning and don't have to think about it :yes::

Time to shove off - my walk today was a "breeze" compared to this messy house that needs attention (and there are just 2 of us here).

Wishing the Canada gals a great 1/2 marathon tomorrow - can't wait to hear the report!

Happy training everyone - OMG - it is getting closer and closer - hey - we will be ready - so just think positively

((((((HUGS))))) to all

We will be off to the gym soon. Spending this BEAUTIFUL day indoors. I just can't figure me out.:rolleyes:

Deb, I am so with you on that eating problem. I don't have an answer just :hug:

Team Canada, or well team sisters, good luck tomorrow and have fun.

Bev, I'm wondering about the clothing options too. Seems I am having similar issues and not certain how to layer it up yet. I am saving allmy old things to be able to toss off, but that will certainly make me look oh so bag lady-like.
:crazy:
Has anyone gotten a space blanket yet? I remember the very early post list had something about space blankets for that early morning time. I also see someone who suggested garbage bags. Which one do you all think?

Oh, and I do use the heart rate monitor. I too have a Polar brand, but think most any would do, or none I guess. I just like checking out my time on it. My HR won't go too far beyond what I am capable of anyway, My body just shuts down first I notice.

Hello Everyone.

I don't quite know everyone's name yet so until I do, do you guys mind me greeting you all with a general hello?

Anyway I have had two days of uniteruped rest. So today I will jog/walk the base again to jump start things. My shin is feeling 100% better. I have not gotten any weight lifting in yet for the past week, so I need to jump on that, but not today.

Last night a couple of friends of mine, we drove to New Orleans and hung out on Burbon Street until 2am. Needless to say, I just woke up at 1pm and am starting my day. Yeah I know I'm a bum but we had a good time. Now I must get focused on my training.

I was able to change my current ressie @ the CSR when the new codes came out. We are going to travel to WDW for the marathon on the 6th and we are not leaving until the 11th. At first we had a waterview at the CSR for $132 (the AAA) rate and when the BDP codes came out I was able to change my res over at snagged a rate of $100 including tax. We are quite pleased with that. No complaintes here.

So what is everyone else doing this weekend?

Kimickey- don't know if you're inetersted or not, but we have a WISHES cruise reserved for Monday evening (Jan. 10) and there are still openings. If the boat is full, it'll be about $14.00/pp.

Grammy- GREAT TIME! I'm in AWE! Keep it up gilr! BTW- I think you should not be cleaning house today- it seems to me like you have already exhausted yourself with your walk- ummmmmmmmmmmmmm..... isn't your knee (or something0 hurting???? :rolleyes: I like the idea of keping record of clothes and temps. I'll ahve to start doing taht too.

Lily- I haven't gotten a space blanket yet- but I know they give you one at the marathon- just don't know if it's the end or the beginning. OF COURSE- we're not "marathon" runners.... we're only halfers. Who knows if we'll get one????

Debbie- happy to hear your training is going so well. ANd I wouldn't worry too much about your weight. It'll come off!

GO TEAM CANADA !!!!!

I am thinking about you both today- as I am sure everyone else is! You should do great! I'm sending lots of pixiedust your way!!! We want to hear all about it when you're done- so PLEASE be sure to post your experience!

MeMe- I like the chocolate/peanut ones.... yummy!

Geetey- GOOD JOB ON THE 4 MILES! I know how hard it was for me to get that 4 mile trek out of the way. From this point on it's all downhill! It just gets easier and easier. PROMISE !

Decaff- we need your support- keep posting and stop lurking! PLEASE!

Well- I have this whole week off from training because of my SI joint. It's feeling better, and I'm hoping to be able to walk tomorrow. I went to REI today and I bought a fanny pack taht holds 2 bottles for water and has a compartment that will hold my puffer, blister packs, gummy bears, tissues and everything else I want. It was pretty expensive - but it was kinda nice looking too. I'm gonna start walking with it right away so I can get use to walking with that weight on my back. It actually supports my back really well- and felt GREAT when I had it on.

We're almost down to 75 days 'til we're off. When that 75 hits in the count down- it's gonna be SERIOUS training for me. Cross training etc. Watching food too.

I missed walking this week. I think that IT, in addition to all of you, has become a very good friend of mine.

I looked for Disers doing the Marathon training thing back in August--but everyone who seemed to be there was miles ahead of me.

I got my e-mail for the codes a couple of days ago--they claimed that AP holders were getting a sneak peak--I guess it was only a 24 hour peak--since you all were lucky enough to snag them.

I am training with Team In Training so am getting the group rate of $118 at POFQ. We added the an extra night over at All Star Movies--I called the day of the "sneak preview" of the rates and 6 hours after the mailing--they only had preferred view over there. Not a problem, hubby has always wanted to stay in the Fantasia buildings--and for $69 total per night--he gets to do so :) .

Today we did our long run and it about killed me...my personal best was about 2 hours for 10 miles (actually 2:04 for 10.3 b/c I mismeasured as usual). Today it took me 2:14 to do 9.84 (someone had a GPS device that measures actual distance travelled). We had to run the bridge over the river twice. I thought it was only once and as I am going over, their telling me only 1 more time. Oops. So no time best today--but more than 100 miles logged since September 11th, so I did accomplish a milestone today :)

I just wanted to share that eating properly is important--and that our coaches stress that distance training (for both the half and full--but especially the full marathon) isn't a time to Diet per se. Those long run days you need your energy. They advise "carb loading" the night before a long day--like a pasta dinner or something. I was using it as my cheat night to have a cookie or two, but that weighs me down--so cookies are for the p.m. of long days. The only way to control your weight is to eat the good and avoid the bad--b/c you need lots of calories. I lost 13-15 pounds on South Beach before official training--after 2-3 weeks of training--I had to sort of abandon it--I still try to follow the principles though. I have been measuring my inches for further evidence of "loss".

Sorry if it has been mentioned before...1 more thing that I didn't know before the coaches told me--you need to eat when you run--strange concept. You need to "practice" this as part of your training to know what you can consume during your run or walk during the actual marathon. Any distance about 6 miles or more. I've tried ginger snaps and fruit cups. It has also been suggested to use the "gel packs" similar to what will be offered race day. Just make sure any carb you consume, just like the gel pack is consumed with water or it stresses your body too much. If you eat nothing--you won't finish (at least for the full marathon.)

I'm looking forward to hearing about everyone's training!

Happy Walking/Jogging/Running :)

Lisa

Thanks so much for the good wishes for tomorrow's 1/2 marathon. Mary Liz and I went to get our race numbers and took a look at the health and fitness expo. When we saw everyone else, we kind of thought "what have we got ourselves into?" After all - "we're not athletes!" But there were people of all shapes and sizes. And everyone was so nice. The expo was quite a small one, but the temptation to buy merchandise was great (I resisted but Mary Liz DID end up spending some money). I think I'm going to have to save up a whole lot of money for the Disney marathon merchandise. :)
We are really debating about whether to wear shorts or pants tomorrow. The early morning temperature should be about 50 degrees. There's about a 60 percent chance of rain, so there won't be any sunshine. It sometimes get pretty breezy beside the Niagara River. We're kind of leaning towards shorts, though.
I think this will be a great practice run for Disney. Hopefully I won't be so nervous in January. We'll let you know how we did tomorrow (if we can crawl to the computer LOL!)

Hi there ... it's Mary-Liz in Nancy's ID ! When I was purchasing a Canada jacket from the Running Room booth, I was saying to Nancy that if it's really cold in WDW in Jan, I'll wear the jacket that day. The girl who checked me out said, "good luck tomorrow ... and you said you're doing Disney in January? Going for that Donald Duck medal are you ?" I was so impressed that she knew about the Disney Marathon, and that the 1/2 was a Donald Medal ! We're both feeling pretty good right now, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow. Thanks so much for all of your good wishes. It's so incredible to know that we have a whole team of Wisher's sending PD our way!

Mary-Liz

Stressful week last week. On Wednesday "they" announced that they are closing the centre where I work.....230+ employees will be out of work anytime between the end of December and end of April. I have 18 direct reports who are now stressed and panicked not to mention myself.

DH said we can still go the DW for the 1/2 marathon in January regardless of whether I have found work or not! He says I will need the reward. He can say the right things at the right time ocassionally.

Had a girls spa weekend this weekend, has been planned for 12 months, didn't do any real training, went for some short walks, but didn't time. However the weekend off and the Sea stone massage, sea body polish, back cleanse and pedicure did wonders for the body and mind. So now I am already to hit the road again this week.

The running/walking will be great stress relief for the stress I know will be heading my way in the up coming weeks.

Last October (2003) I completed a 1/2 marathon in 3 hours and 20 minutes, and right now I am on target for the same time, but my goal is for under 3hours and 15minutes.

I run for 3 minutes and walk for 2 minutes, but adjust to how I feel. I have dropped the running to a minute and walked for 4, and at other times I have run for 5 and walked for one.

My goal is to cross the finish line and not drop dead, or throw up!

Rachael

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter