Mall Stores That No Longer Exist

AtlantaSue said:
My mom and I used to love to go to a place called Karamelcorn and get this really yummy caramel popcorn. I haven't thought about that in a long time....anyone else ever heard of it?

Yeeeesssssss!!! I loved the smell of it but we never had enough money to get any. :guilty:

Winklemens,and Hughs and Hatchers. I hope I spelled them correct. These stores where very poplular when I was growing.

Katerbug said:
I loved The Wild Pair. How about Northern Reflections. Not sure if it was a chain store or not but I know they used to be in several malls in Michigan. :sunny:
Our Northern Reflections had closed a couple of years ago, but reopened last year at our mall.

Northern Reflections is one of the stores I miss most. I used to buy most of my clothing there because it was casual, comfy and not extremely expensive. I still have a couple of their sweatshirts- they must be about 12 years old, but you'd never know it!

when I was little there was a local store called Styles - it had this metal bee - that bounced. the thing was so big that my 3 cousins, myself and my brother sat on the head, torso, and "hands" and it bounced. it was so cool.
same strip mall also had a cool jean place called Two Leggs.

then there was this chucky cheese type place called Pizza, Pipes and Pandemonium. before chucky cheese even was thought of!!

also miss cherry and webb debs and york steakhouse!

I read this whole thread and it brought back some great memories!
I remember Cherry and Webb-got my first credit card there (this was back in the days before anyone could get a credit card).
And Caldor-I remember when they were in the Auburn Mall.
And I remember getting Orange Julius's from the Worcester Center.
Someone mentioned Maurice-is Maurice the Pants Man out of business now? I used to buy all of DS's pants there.
Is Filene's still in business?

Simba's Mom said:
I read this whole thread and it brought back some great memories!
I remember Cherry and Webb-got my first credit card there (this was back in the days before anyone could get a credit card).
And Caldor-I remember when they were in the Auburn Mall.
And I remember getting Orange Julius's from the Worcester Center.
Someone mentioned Maurice-is Maurice the Pants Man out of business now? I used to buy all of DS's pants there.
Is Filene's still in business?

yes Caldor in Auburn Mall was the one I was talking about It's now Filene's Home store. And yes Filene's is still in the Auburn Mall but the rumor is that it is turning into a Macy's. Maurice was suppose to close down last time I checked. If it'sm still open its not like it use to be. We have an Orange Julius in the Auburn Mall as well.

i really miss the real banana republic, the decor with the jeep, and the sounds and music that was piped in, and the blackboard with the weather info from all those tropical places. and the clothes were so great, not like the gap copied line that they became after the gap bought them, i wish that someone who was committed to the original idea had bought them. i probably still have some of those catalogs in the attic, i should put them on ebay.
i need to look around up there for the gift boxes we had i know we had all three of them, the bi-plane and the rhino and i forgot what the third one was. someone needs to go back to this concept.

i did also like county seat and miller's outpost, we also had john's jeans, which had outhouse doors on the fitting rooms.

I actually SAW a Foxmoor just last week in one of the malls in Columbia, SC! I can't remember the last time I saw one. I was in total shock.... :)

Jules76126 said:
yes Caldor in Auburn Mall was the one I was talking about It's now Filene's Home store. And yes Filene's is still in the Auburn Mall but the rumor is that it is turning into a Macy's. Maurice was suppose to close down last time I checked. If it'sm still open its not like it use to be. We have an Orange Julius in the Auburn Mall as well.

There must still be Maurice's around. I had to do self inventories on several stores last week in my company and we had some equipment fail. When I called the tech support line there was a recording that said "If you are calling from Hallmark, Harley Davidson, or Maurice's press 2". I was wondering what a Maurice was. :rotfl:

Maurice's got bought out by Dress Barn. I have a friend, who up until about 3 months ago, worked for them

Our Cinnabon just opened back up in the mall in the last year.

I think someone also mentioned Deb - we have one of those here too.

Kimya

People you are forgetting the most important use of mall space ever.....THE ARCADE!!!!! :cool1: Ah yes, the big hangout in the 80's & 90's ...this was the place to be seen and show your skills!!!! :rotfl2:

chipmunkfan said:
People you are forgetting the most important use of mall space ever.....THE ARCADE!!!!! :cool1: Ah yes, the big hangout in the 80's & 90's ...this was the place to be seen and show your skills!!!! :rotfl2:
I recently visited a small town about an hour's drive and dropped into their mall. I was so surprised to find an arcade that I came back with DS when I next got the chance. I remember arcades being in ALL of the malls but now they're just scattered here and there which is kind of sad.

momrek06 said:
ANYONE from MASS remember a store in WALTHAM called

GROVER CRONIN's....great store....long gone....

YES YES YES - It was an "old time" department store on Moody Street, right next to the Charles River, and my family shopped there quite a bit during the 60s and 70s. In fact, a good amount of my childhood wear came from that store.

Grover Cronins was started by Jeremiah Cronin as a small tea store in 1885. His son Grover took it over in 1912, and within 20 years put the store in a class by itself. In 1931, at the beginning of the big depression, the exterior of the store was rebuilt in the art deco style. The interior was made with such class that women from wealthy Boston suburbs like Newton, Wellesley, Weston, Lincoln, and Lexington frequented the store.

After World War II, Cronin started Easter and Christmas Parades. For over 30 years they provided the veterans of the war and their growing families as well as people from all over the Boston area with much pleasure.

In 1953, Grover died, and his wife Helen carried on his policies until 1970, when their son Robert took over. Around 1960, the first Boston area mall (Shoppers World in Framingham) started a change in local retail trends, and one by one, Cronins' brother stores on Moody Street (J.C. Penny, Sears, Gilchrist, Grant's, Parke Snows, Lincolns, Enterprize, Touraines and others) were forced to move or go out of business. After celebrating its 100th Anniversary in 1985, Cronins closed 4 years later. The picture below was taken shortly afterwards, the building was torn down in 1996, replaced by apartments.

199510GROV.jpg

chipmunkfan said:
The arcade at our mall was called "The Fun Factory". :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter