Make a Wish (and other organizations!) - Wish Trippers...UNITE!! Volume 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as an FYI - we asked for a double stroller at every park and the upgrade with the car version at Universal....they always gave it to us no problems!

I'm glad Sue answered your question about the double. Here's one more thought.
If you are using a wheelchair (or stroller tagged as such) and another regular stroller, can you take the regular stroller through the exits, and special entrances or do you need to park that one outside with the others? I thought I remembered reading that some rides drop you off at a different exit than where you got on so I was just wondering.

People using wheelchairs or strollers as wheelchairs will always be able to bring it to the boarding area. If the normal boarding area is different than the normal exit, the attractions either have a wheelchair accessible boarding area which will be the same place as you exit or the CMs will bring the wheelchair/stroller to the exit after you board.

Hi ladies!

Quick question - How long before you heard your child was approved for a wish and first contact from your child's wish granters? Just curious. Thanks!

Kelly

Hi ladies!

Quick question - How long before you heard your child was approved for a wish and first contact from your child's wish granters? Just curious. Thanks!

Kelly

i think it was about 2 weeks or so...but it seemed like an eternity!

Hi ladies!

Kelly

Ours took over a month but the first person who contacted me did say that it would take that long.

So it looks like we can do a couple of night shifts at GKTW if we want...:cool1:cool1::cool1: talk to the woman the other day and they are going to see if they can get us in the "Castle of Miracles" so Jake can help the kids make their "wish pilliows"....:banana::banana: We are so excitied, as this was Jake's favorite place at GKTW...he goes everywhere with his pillow...so this would be so cool. I should know more after Christmas for sure...maybe sooner....can't wait...:lovestruc:lovestruc

That is great Christine! How wonderful you are going to volunteer there. We hope to see you there!

Here's a great story that was published in the Glens Falls (NY) Post Star. We raised 763 through the sale of angels for Make a Wish, in 4 hours the other morning, but it pales in comparison to the efforts of this little girl.
"GREENWICH -- For the 12 days of Christmas, 4,000 special letters to Santa have been collected and a miracle delivered through the actions of a 9-year-old girl.

When fourth-grade Greenwich student Justice White Sloan was 5 years old, she was the recipient of a weeklong trip to Disney World, courtesy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

For Justice, who suffers from liver and lung disease, the visit came two days after she was released from the Intensive Care Unit. It was an act of kindness she hasn't forgotten and one that inspired her to set a lofty goal during this holiday season.

After learning that the Macy's company would donate $1 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for every letter to Santa it receives, Justice began a campaign encouraging people in her community to write letters to Santa. The goal was to accumulate as many letters as possible and deliver them to Macy's, which would in turn help provide a magical trip for an area child through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

"Imagine if we get more than 1,000 letters. That would be a true Christmas miracle," she wrote in a letter that was distributed throughout the community.

"A lot of the diseases like mine will never go away - only get worse," Justice wrote.

"When you tuck your kids in on Christmas Eve, think of what you did for a child who may never have another Christmas Eve. I know this is sad but it is true. Show me and every other child out there what it means to really believe in miracles. Make them come true."

Justice's family encouraged the community to write letters and deliver them to the Sloan home for temporary safe-keeping.

Drop locations for letters to Santa were organized at area businesses.

Justice's mom, Tiffany Sloan, talked up the letter drive at the local convenience store where she works.

At first, a handful of letters arrived. Their numbers multiplied by dozens, then to several hundred.

"She was determined that she was going to do it," said Justice's dad, Sam Sloan.

Word spread throughout the community by word of mouth, then across the country on the Internet.

"Before I knew it, there were a thousand letters. Geez-um. They just kept coming in," he said, of the letters postmarked with the state names of Rhode Island, Wisconsin and California, among others.

More than 3,000 letters have been delivered to the Sloan family home, and Friday morning Santa and Mrs. Claus visited the Greenwich school carrying a big, red bag that held more than a 1,000 more letters to Justice, after they, too, took up the girl's cause.

The letters were delivered during a morning program session in front of about 250 elementary school students in Greenwich, where the walls are highlighted by the apropos school motto: "Dream it. Believe it. Do it."

"There are some boys and girls who are really, really sick. We grant them a wish to help them feel better," William Trigg, CEO of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northeastern New York, told the students gathered at Greenwich on Friday.

Schools in Washington and Saratoga counties have also been collecting letters to Santa that they will deliver to Justice.

By the time all the letters are delivered to Macy's in Colonie on Sunday, the family hopes to have between 8,000 and 10,000 letters.

Trigg oversees the organization in the 15 counties that cover the 518 area code.

Based on Justice's efforts alone, one or two wishes will be granted to children in the region, Trigg said."

What an awesome story, Linda. We had Piper's school do letters but only had about 200. Still an ok number, but if they do it again next year, I'm thinking we need to branch out, lol.

Hi everyone,

We just found out yesterday that we will be staying at AKL for Brigitte's wish trip from April 24th - April 30th. We are then going to move over to the Swan and stay there until May 5th (that part is OOP, of course)...

We are SUPER excited!!! Having the zero-entry pool will be great for Brigitte and we plan on spending ALOT of time just hanging out and relaxing poolside and enjoying the views!!

If I want to start a pre-trip report, where do I post it??

Hi everyone,

We just found out yesterday that we will be staying at AKL for Brigitte's wish trip from April 24th - April 30th. We are then going to move over to the Swan and stay there until May 5th (that part is OOP, of course)...

We are SUPER excited!!! Having the zero-entry pool will be great for Brigitte and we plan on spending ALOT of time just hanging out and relaxing poolside and enjoying the views!!

That's so exciting! April 24th is when we start our trip extension (OOP) but we are leaving WDW for that part. Too bad we miss each other!

On the main page of the Disboards there is an option to "start a new thread". You choose the category (Pre Trip reports) and then start a new thread. Once you have posted that first time, copy the link over here so everyone can find it. It also helps to put the link to it in your signature. HTH!

Hi everyone,

That's awesome!:dance3: We're going to try and extend our trip by a night or two and spend it at AKL. Ali's wish is to actually "go to the zoo," so I know she'll love it, and we feel like it will be a great way to wind down the week. I can't wait to read your pre-trip report!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback regarding length of time between approval and hearing from the wish granters. I did break down and call Friday afternoon,:rolleyes1 and was told that there is a shortage of wish granters in this area, but two had been assigned just the day before so we should hear something more soon. I don't want to sound "greedy" or impatient, but if we don't go over April vacation, we won't be able to go until next year. So that's the scoop here. Thanks again!

Kelly

Hi everyone,

:banana: AKL sounds so awesome! I cant wait to hear all about it.

Hi everyone,

How awesome to stay at AKL! Can't wait to see your PTR :banana:

That's awesome!:dance3: We're going to try and extend our trip by a night or two and spend it at AKL. Ali's wish is to actually "go to the zoo," so I know she'll love it, and we feel like it will be a great way to wind down the week. I can't wait to read your pre-trip report!

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback regarding length of time between approval and hearing from the wish granters. I did break down and call Friday afternoon,:rolleyes1 and was told that there is a shortage of wish granters in this area, but two had been assigned just the day before so we should hear something more soon. I don't want to sound "greedy" or impatient, but if we don't go over April vacation, we won't be able to go until next year. So that's the scoop here. Thanks again!

Kelly

Kelly, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you hear from the wish granters this week...wouldn't that be an awesome Christmas present? Once you get the ppwk filled out, I think it really gets moving, it took us less than 3weeks to get our dates once all that was in place.

Hello everyone!!!!

I am back!

I had a WONDERFUL trip!

You know that Post Disney Depression some of us get after a wonderful Disney World trip...Well, I got it.

For some reason, within hours, life hit me square in the face. As of this morning life is happening all around me and most of it is bad news. Personal junk with a couple of close friends and my boss' daughter is dying of cancer. She has 4 kids and it is Christmas - for crying out loud. Which people around here are doing a lot of.

Because my boss is out, I have a considerable amount of work to do - both catching up on mine and working on hers - so, Welcome Home, Mary, Welcome Home.

I have already started working on a trip report...I WILL be doing one for this trip. It was a trip FULL of many, many blessings and something that will be remembered for a long, long time.

So, I am not really glad to be home and can't even DIS for a bit - so hang with me! I will have lots of time this weekend with the Holidays.

Maroo, have a blast!

Anyone else going to be there Jan 9th-16th? Karen

Did I already tell you that I would be there then?

I am going back the 7th through the 10th. Staying at POP and meeting up with a few of my Disney internet friends. (My face friends think I am totally crazy...but whatever. :)) I won't have a car and will be relying on Disney Transportation. I will also be leaving very early on the 10th...but I would LOVE to meet you guys somewhere before I go! :)

We are back and I have soooooooooooooo much to share....we just got home a bit ago so I will get on and share later this week....soooooooooo many photos to go through!

Maroo - can you pm me a code for the photo passport - we did not get one at GKTW....and I know we have a ton of amazing pictures!!!

So excited to get some rest and share!

Can not wait to see your trip report!!!

Have you started it?

I'll be at GKTW, working in the warehouse, on the 16th. Maybe we could meet for a hug, at least, on my way to work?

Welcome home! Maroo's on a trip this week - but checking her pm's so please send her one!

Thank you for telling her to send me a PM! I did get it and am getting her a code. :)

Well, Lydia developed pneumonia after about five days here and we had to take her into emergency Saturday night and she was transferred to the Florida Children's Hospital PICU that night. Last night we got to go the the peds floor (which is really nice and new) and we're hoping to be flying home with medical transport today or tomorrow. We are staying at the RM House right next to the hospital (what an awesome place!). Just wanted to let you who know us know. :)

Oh no. :sad2: I am so glad you guys are back on the regular floor and hope you get home in time for Christmas!

Welcome back to lots of recent Wish Trippers!

I have a few Photo Pass tips to share!

1) The default for each photo is 5x7. If you would like to print an 8x10 or a 4x6 later, you need to save each photo with each border in each print size. I learned this after changing 404 photos into 1300 photos with borders - all in 5x7 size! You will need to click the button up above that says for example: "2- 4x6 for $14.95". It will then save it in a 4x6 format. Make sure you always save when it says save as a copy or you will save over your other photo. It will be time consuming.

2) Only the fairy Terrance in Pixie Hollow had two special Christmas borders that can only be added to photos with him. If Tink is in the picture too, the special borders will not appear.

3) The Up Characters also have some cute special borders besides the 2 Up Borders. You can have Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto or Stitch invade the photo from the left or right.

There may be others that I missed, but these are the main ones that I found to be unique.

Have fun editing! :wizard:

Great tips that I had no idea about!

So are these for the ones you will print when you get home??

Hi everyone,

Brigitte is TPN/Gtube fed...but will occasionaly eat a tiny bit by mouth. Maybe 1 chicken nugget and a couple of fries...or a few bites of salad.....nothing more, and those are on good days!! She is 3, will we be charged meals for her at the restaurants at Disney? We will likely be doing alot of TS meals, of which some will be All you can eat, others plated dishes.

I think you got this answered...and I agree. Tell your server and they will most likely take any charge for her "food" off the bill. If not, ask to speak to a manager, because charging a child that is tube fed for a meal just seems wrong. :confused3

We had DS's ressies at Play N Dine at Hollywood N Vine. I called when I made the ressies and let them know he's tube fed and I would be bringing his "meal in a can" and reminded our server when we were seated. They didn't charge for him even though he ate about 3 bites of mashed potatoes from my plate. I think if you call asap and let them know you may be able to let her eat a bite or 2 from your plate. Just let them see her blend/can so they know she's not really eating-just possibly picking a bite or 2.
Good luck! (Oh and letting them know it's a Wish trip doesn't hurt either. ;) )

There ya go! :) And true...play the Wish Trip card. ;)

I'm trying to decide what to do about taking ours/using theirs/renting. So, we have 3 kids...6, 3 and 2. The 2 and 3 year old will have to have a stroller. The 6 year old needs one as well. I know that we can get a complimentary stroller rental at Disney. (not sure about US/IOA and Sea World though?) But, I know those don't recline and are hard plastic. Either way, we have to take at least one stroller from home. I'm considering taking 2 though. We would take our single and our double. I'm worried about that just being more to get through the airport though, but on the other hand, I think we will probably need them at the airport. Ack! Help! Another bit of info, we will be having one of the strollers tagged as a wheelchair. I'm not sure that we can tag the double that way. If we could, I would be ok using the Disney stroller for our 6 year old and using the double for the 2 little ones. If it won't work out that way, we'll have to take our single for Sloan. And then, I don't think the Disney double will work for a 2 year old who needs naps. Any info or input would be greatly appreciated.

Not a Mom, but wanted to add that you will have some help when you get toward the luggage area from a volunteer at GKTW - they will help you get your luggage and rental vehicle. :) But...you are on your own the rest of the time...

Those strollers are hard backs and don't recline, so if you decide to use one, take a blanket or something to soften it up. :)

I'm almost certain that will work IF I can tag a double stroller as a wheelchair. I don't know though... Anyone??

You got the answer from the expert! :goodvibes

you can use a double stroller as a wheelchair as long as it is no wider than 32 inches and no longer than 48 inches. There may be a few lines where a stroller that large would be a tight fit, but it will be OK for the most part. They will tag a double to be used as a wheelchair - other people have done it.

Sue...you rock!

Maroo Im sorry I missed your post that you were leaving. I was so busy reading all the posts lol. Hope you are having a great trip!

I had a wonderful trip! It was sort of like a wish trip - since Rachel has been so sick and likely won't be going back - and it was wonderful!

Here's a great story that was published in the Glens Falls (NY) Post Star. We raised 763 through the sale of angels for Make a Wish, in 4 hours the other morning, but it pales in comparison to the efforts of this little girl.
"GREENWICH -- For the 12 days of Christmas, 4,000 special letters to Santa have been collected and a miracle delivered through the actions of a 9-year-old girl.

When fourth-grade Greenwich student Justice White Sloan was 5 years old, she was the recipient of a weeklong trip to Disney World, courtesy of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

For Justice, who suffers from liver and lung disease, the visit came two days after she was released from the Intensive Care Unit. It was an act of kindness she hasn't forgotten and one that inspired her to set a lofty goal during this holiday season.

After learning that the Macy's company would donate $1 to the Make-A-Wish Foundation for every letter to Santa it receives, Justice began a campaign encouraging people in her community to write letters to Santa. The goal was to accumulate as many letters as possible and deliver them to Macy's, which would in turn help provide a magical trip for an area child through the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

"Imagine if we get more than 1,000 letters. That would be a true Christmas miracle," she wrote in a letter that was distributed throughout the community.

"A lot of the diseases like mine will never go away - only get worse," Justice wrote.

"When you tuck your kids in on Christmas Eve, think of what you did for a child who may never have another Christmas Eve. I know this is sad but it is true. Show me and every other child out there what it means to really believe in miracles. Make them come true."

Justice's family encouraged the community to write letters and deliver them to the Sloan home for temporary safe-keeping.

Drop locations for letters to Santa were organized at area businesses.

Justice's mom, Tiffany Sloan, talked up the letter drive at the local convenience store where she works.

At first, a handful of letters arrived. Their numbers multiplied by dozens, then to several hundred.

"She was determined that she was going to do it," said Justice's dad, Sam Sloan.

Word spread throughout the community by word of mouth, then across the country on the Internet.

"Before I knew it, there were a thousand letters. Geez-um. They just kept coming in," he said, of the letters postmarked with the state names of Rhode Island, Wisconsin and California, among others.

More than 3,000 letters have been delivered to the Sloan family home, and Friday morning Santa and Mrs. Claus visited the Greenwich school carrying a big, red bag that held more than a 1,000 more letters to Justice, after they, too, took up the girl's cause.

The letters were delivered during a morning program session in front of about 250 elementary school students in Greenwich, where the walls are highlighted by the apropos school motto: "Dream it. Believe it. Do it."

"There are some boys and girls who are really, really sick. We grant them a wish to help them feel better," William Trigg, CEO of the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Northeastern New York, told the students gathered at Greenwich on Friday.

Schools in Washington and Saratoga counties have also been collecting letters to Santa that they will deliver to Justice.

By the time all the letters are delivered to Macy's in Colonie on Sunday, the family hopes to have between 8,000 and 10,000 letters.

Trigg oversees the organization in the 15 counties that cover the 518 area code.

Based on Justice's efforts alone, one or two wishes will be granted to children in the region, Trigg said."

This made my morning and is a GREAT idea! We don't have a Macy's here, though. :confused3

Hi everyone,

We just got back from a wonderful stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. They really do have a great facility for dealing with wheelchairs/disabled/ill guests - I guess because it is one of the newer resorts and post ADA - but they were absolutely wonderful to us!

PM me if you have specific AKL questions! :)

Oh Maroo Im so sorry that the dreaded Disney Depression has started for you.:hug: and you have so much going on in your life. Thinking of you and praying the depression ends soon.:hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter