Magical Express Replacement

It was never free, the resort price skyrocketed over time as they added "free" perks, which were used to justify the unusually fast price jumps.
And like I said in a previous post, I have never used this "free" service in all the years I have gone. But I have been subsidizing all who did use the service with higher rates and resort fees. You're welcome! 😆
It was a part of their doing business. Now I thought that charging for parking at the resorts was a slap. So, I no longer stay at the resorts. No problem.

OK. Got it. I thought a lot of people would feel inconvenienced by Disney ending the Magical Express. I was wrong. Most people are responding and telling me it is no big deal, easy to get a ride share, and easy to arrange your own transportation to get to Disney. Multiple people have reminded me this is the way it was for 34 years. I get it. Apparently, I am part of a minority of Disney travelers who feel it's a problem to not have the Magical Express available.

I had thought everyone loved the convenience of the Magical Express. I made the mistake in thinking that because I have loved it so much. I have enjoyed getting my kids excited for their Disney trip by telling them to put on their MagicBands to scan at the shuttle pick up, and I loved how much my kids enjoy the Disney shorts that play on the way to our resort. To me, it was a great service, and I'm disappointed it is ending. I had thought most other travelers would be disappointed, inconvenienced, or stressed that Disney was canceling it. I had thought it was a big mistake by Disney. I can tell from the overwhelming responses I'm getting that most people disagree. So, clearly I was wrong.
The overwhelming responses you're getting is that most people agree with you about Magical Express. A couple of people pointed out that a free airport shuttle is not standard. Even those people agree with you that ending Magic Express is a disappointment. Everyone who uses DME thinks it's a great service and are as disappointed as you that the service is ending.

You were not wrong.

People posting that having to figure out transportation will be too complicated or difficult for most people seem to be forgetting that Orlando's "other park" doesn't and has never included transportation, but people seem to get there just fine. They do offer a paid shuttle (maybe by Mears or someone else, I don't know) so if you are curious on what the Mears Connect will cost, it'll probably be close to that.

And like I said in a previous post, I have never used this "free" service in all the years I have gone. But I have been subsidizing all who did use the service with higher rates and resort fees. You're welcome! 😆

I keep hearing that but I'm not sure how true that is. I think DME was actually making disney money. Yes they had to pay for the service but they made it back by keeping people in the bubble and extra revenue from people not going to universal or not going off property to eat. Basically the extra money they got paid for the service plus some. I think that math just isn't working anymore with rideshare and other options for people. Definitely sucks for people who loved it. I never used it but loved the idea and have mentioned it to out-of-state people thinking of trips.

Can we all just agree, whether you used it or not, that the DME was a fantastic service and perk that we are sad to see go?

I agree and will not be using it this time for the first time since they implemented the "free" perk.

The best part of the DME service wasn't the ride from the airport but the fact that you would drop off your luggage at the airport and not see them again until your in your room . Saved a lot of aggravation dragging luggage around . The new train service wont help either . We are now stuck paying hundreds of dollars more for less service.

Especially when traveling with young children. For us, the best part was always the luggage .

OK. Got it. I thought a lot of people would feel inconvenienced by Disney ending the Magical Express. I was wrong. Most people are responding and telling me it is no big deal, easy to get a ride share, and easy to arrange your own transportation to get to Disney. Multiple people have reminded me this is the way it was for 34 years. I get it. Apparently, I am part of a minority of Disney travelers who feel it's a problem to not have the Magical Express available.

I had thought everyone loved the convenience of the Magical Express. I made the mistake in thinking that because I have loved it so much. I have enjoyed getting my kids excited for their Disney trip by telling them to put on their MagicBands to scan at the shuttle pick up, and I loved how much my kids enjoy the Disney shorts that play on the way to our resort. To me, it was a great service, and I'm disappointed it is ending. I had thought most other travelers would be disappointed, inconvenienced, or stressed that Disney was canceling it. I had thought it was a big mistake by Disney. I can tell from the overwhelming responses I'm getting that most people disagree. So, clearly I was wrong.
Mears is offering a very similar service as a replacement. It stinks that it will come at a cost, but it will be a simple option. There are also ride shares, taxis, car services and rental cars among other means for people to get from the airport to Disney. I don’t think difficulty of booking a ride will be an issue.

I'm not worked up - I asked a simple question and was not expecting the deluge of negative comments. I will be just fine and my family and luggage will get to WDW in January. I did state that I like to plan in advance, usually a year in advance - this is a quite common practice.
Yes, I am going in January, so I would suppose you can see that waiting until January may just be a little aggravating and a waste of time. You don't wait until January to roll out a program that starts in January - I was just asking for some simple info on pricing. A question that I thought was not too difficult for a company who has taken the mantle over for Disney and has been doing this for X amount of years. Someone has to be the first to ask...

I'm a super-planner too. I get it.

I’m sorry. Late to this thread. Did mears post the information or no?
Meras has posted that they will continue to offer transportation to and from MCO to WDW. The price has not been announced.

Think about it. Disney can offer a package including tickets, dining (eventually) and airport transfers. I'm sure Disney will be able to negotiate a bulk rate with Mears. Guests who book a package might even wind up with free transfers. Guests who booked deeply discounted room rates such as AP and PL will pay for their transfers.

Disney might negotiate a commission with Mears if guests book Mears transfers through Disney's site when they make resort reservations.

Some posters think Disney might even charge Mears a fee for access to the resorts.

Prior to DME, and parking fees, I figured car rental was about the same, or a little more, then booking a car service. Easy decision. I thought DME luggage service, incoming and outgoing was a big plus. I can't think of a reason to stay at a WDW resort over Swan Dolphin. Staying at a DS hotel, or other hotel near Disney, makes a lot of sense. Just have to be sure to check resort fees and parking fees.

DME was one of the perks Disney was able to promote as they were offering premium priced hotel rooms.

This is one of several things that has made me rethink staying on-site. For a solo traveler with an AP staying off-site is now much more doable and less expensive.

I'm going in September to experience DME one more time. My current plan is three more trips to finish off my AP in Sept 2022 - all off-site.

Unless POFQ opens...

Mears connect website changes their inforatioon. Instead of May now says

"Make Your Reservation Through Mears Connect™ Starting Summer 2021

Accepting Reservations Soon"

Simple solution to all of this...bring back Minnie Vans. Plain and Simple. Faster and more efficient. Still can keep people in the Disney bubble and don't have to carry car seats for kiddos.

You can request an Uber with one but there are not very many. Definitely not a guarantee. And you won’t find an Uber with 2 car seats.

One of the best things about MinnieVan (IMO) is that they all have 2 car seats.

This is one of the most annoying things when people say “just call an Uber” instead of Magical Express or Disney buses. Uber/Lyft is just not reliable if you need two car seats (or 1 even) when I’ve been at Disney.

This is one of the most annoying things when people say “just call an Uber” instead of Magical Express or Disney buses. Uber/Lyft is just not reliable if you need two car seats (or 1 even) when I’ve been at Disney.

Why is it annoying?

Why is it annoying?

Because it’s not a viable, convenient, or cost effective alternative if you have 2 (or more) kids requiring car seats. Most ubers have one max, and even then availability is spotty. Minivan is great in that it had 2, but those were very expensive and cost prohibitive too. I’m on vacation to escape the real world, including driving, so I’ve always enjoyed that Disney seamlessly handles the transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter