Magic Kingdom After Hours coming back (DAH); Reviews: Page 18 >>

I wish it wasn't quite so expensive for the kids. Still, we might do it. It's basically the opportunity to hop for us one day of our trip and I'm most interested in the character interactions. I'll have to talk to Dh about this one.

@AngiTN and @mom2rtk woukd you ladies mind giving a recap of which rides you were able to squeeze in during the event (and really just during the extra 3 hours)? As empty as it sounds like it was, sounds like your experience would be close to best-case scenario. It sounds like a pretty good deal if it were announced far enough out to make plans for it (and if we hadn't just gotten back, those later dates would be almost do-able). Thanks!!

I was referencing my experience with Disney "limited attendance" events with respect to hard ticket parties.

I believe AngiTN was implying that my thoughts weren't valuable here because I had not actually attended DAH.

what do you all think of the disney after hour events we just got tickets for january 27th we just wanted to see what its like with low crowds it costed us 190 with the ap discount for two adults and the event hours for the night are 9pm - midnight

what do you all think of the disney after hour events we just got tickets for january 27th we just wanted to see what its like with low crowds it costed us 190 with the ap discount for two adults and the event hours for the night are 9pm - midnight
There's an AP discount? Oh my, I may have to jaunt down in March.

I'll admit it. I'm one of the "haters of (some) Add-Ons" and once I again I hope this fails. There, I said it.

Last year when they tried this, they reduced operating hours on many of the nights when compared to 2015 operating hours. Can I prove that's why they reduced hours? Of course not, but it's the most likely reason. If I wanted to increase revenue in a sneaky way, I would reduce operating hours a bit to increase lines/crowds during the day. This would then drive demand on an upsell "low capacity" event in the evening. Disney is effectively getting double ticket sales for the same day. Attending this sort of event just encourages them to dial back regular hours even more the next year. Pay more, get less operating hours each year.

I really only dislike "add on" events that take away from the regular guest experience. The folks who eat at Victoria and Alberts or who para sail, take nothing away from my Disney experience. I have no issues with those types of “add-ons”. However, others do take away from my Disney experience. For example:
  • DAH tends to sometimes reduce regular park hours.
  • Premium parking takes away good spaces that I used to be able to get if I arrived early enough.
  • Desert parties reduce the number of available premium parade/show viewing spots that are available to regular folks.
  • Tents in Tomorrowland rob me of a fully themed experience when I visit that land.
  • The new Tianna meet and greet "add on" makes the riverboat unavailable to regular guests for 2.5 hours right in the middle of the day.
  • The new Star Wars themed paid tour at HS will reduce the number of Jedi Training Academy slots available to regular patrons.
This is not a case of “class envy”. I just get annoyed when an add-on is partially funded by a reduced “regular guest experience”.

...if they can get attendance up it will be a money making deal for them. Trust me, there is an end game to this. Disney is not doing this to lose money.
I'm sure all those like me who loved the Pirate and Princess parties sadly agree. (GREAT for the customer, but evidently not for Disney, so GONE.) I guess I'm just wishing I could get in on one of these before the number or price of tickets doubles.

I don't begrudge additional stuff at a cost, but (like I've said in other topics) I get irritated when they take stuff away and then put it back for extra. I know it's their right, but it leaves a sour--or I guess it's really bitter--taste in my mouth that even a $10 specialty cupcake can't remove ;)

I went on a night where they might have sold more tickets than other nights and I can tell you the place was not empty (there was a line for back seat at BTMRR, had to wait two trains at Mine Train) and worst of all they ran out of frozen bananas. There were way more people than just 200 (that wouldn't even come close to covering operational costs) and if they can get attendance up it will be a money making deal for them. Trust me, there is an end game to this. Disney is not doing this to lose money.

Haha, I took two bites of that frozen banana, gagged and threw it away. :banana:

Yes I believe some nights it creeped up around 400-500 .... but that is not their end game, not even 1000 is their end game. They have a goal and it is one that will cover costs and make money. It will still be a great way to enjoy the rides without long lines but it won't be what happened in the spring. That was a fail for several reasons.

I'll admit it. I'm one of the "haters of (some) Add-Ons" and once I again I hope this fails. There, I said it.

Last year when they tried this, they reduced operating hours on many of the nights when compared to 2015 operating hours. Can I prove that's why they reduced hours? Of course not, but it's the most likely reason. If I wanted to increase revenue in a sneaky way, I would reduce operating hours a bit to increase lines/crowds during the day. This would then drive demand on an upsell "low capacity" event in the evening. Disney is effectively getting double ticket sales for the same day. Attending this sort of event just encourages them to dial back regular hours even more the next year. Pay more, get less operating hours each year.

I really only dislike "add on" events that take away from the regular guest experience. The folks who eat at Victoria and Alberts or who para sail, take nothing away from my Disney experience. I have no issues with those types of “add-ons”. However, others do take away from my Disney experience. For example:
  • DAH tends to sometimes reduce regular park hours.
  • Premium parking takes away good spaces that I used to be able to get if I arrived early enough.
  • Desert parties reduce the number of available premium parade/show viewing spots that are available to regular folks.
  • Tents in Tomorrowland rob me of a fully themed experience when I visit that land.
  • The new Tianna meet and greet "add on" makes the riverboat unavailable to regular guests for 2.5 hours right in the middle of the day.
  • The new Star Wars themed paid tour at HS will reduce the number of Jedi Training Academy slots available to regular patrons.
This is not a case of “class envy”. I just get annoyed when an add-on is partially funded by a reduced “regular guest experience”.

Do you know what's funny? I didn't even notice the tents until my 3rd visit. I am not near that restroom often.

yes when we called we let the cm know that we are ap's and he looked to see if there was a discount for pass holders which is 89 dollars other wise it is 120 before tax
Do you know if you can book now and switch dates if another isn't sold out? Similar to MVMCP? I may just go ahead and buy the tickets, but I'm not certain what day I could make it there yet.

We went last May, and I am really hoping they extend the dates to include our trip the last week of March next year. We were able to ride everything we wanted, and went on many rides multiple times. We did get the DVC discount, but even at $119 I would consider it worth the price.

I wish I could tell what rides we did exactly but it's been too long. I know it was any ride we wanted to. I'm sure we skipped Splash, as DH isn't a fan even on a hot and sunny day.

Like AngiTN, I don't remember exactly what rides, but I definitely remember taking the two 5 year olds in our group on Splash. We sat three in a row and were the only ones in our "log". I remember it being a little creepy that we never saw anyone else during the entire ride. Considering everything was a walk on, I think there could have easily been 3X more people in the park and it would still be worth it.

We have been to Disney just about every year for that past 10 years, and this was definitely a highlight of all of those trips. I did the EMM in the MK that same trip with just myself and DS5, and while we both had an amazing time, I don't think I would repeat that. The after hours event, absolutely!

I haven't read a single post on this thread. Just came back home and was checking the DPB, I wonder if this person is a Disser. He just made me laugh with his comments. I won't say that sometimes I feel like saying these same exact words :D
Okay, people, this time, let’s read carefully and get it right:
“(Please note that Disney After Hours does not replace Extra Magic Hours (EMH) for our resort guests and are instead held on non-EMH dates)”
If you’re staying on the resorts, NO, you’re not being asked to “pay for something we’re supposed to get free”. You -are- getting it for free, just on different nights.
This is for the poor unfortunate people who are not staying on the resorts.

Go on the Disney-fan sites and be amazed at the people who just couldn’t grasp this concept the first time around.

Eric Janssen on December 8, 2016 at 3:52 pm

I haven't read a single post on this thread. Just came back home and was checking the DPB, I wonder if this person is a Disser. He just made me laugh with his comments. I won't say that sometimes I feel like saying these same exact words :D
Okay, people, this time, let’s read carefully and get it right:
“(Please note that Disney After Hours does not replace Extra Magic Hours (EMH) for our resort guests and are instead held on non-EMH dates)”
If you’re staying on the resorts, NO, you’re not being asked to “pay for something we’re supposed to get free”. You -are- getting it for free, just on different nights.
This is for the poor unfortunate people who are not staying on the resorts.

Go on the Disney-fan sites and be amazed at the people who just couldn’t grasp this concept the first time around.

Eric Janssen on December 8, 2016 at 3:52 pm
Surprised that comment didn't get removed.

@cgattis ~ of the two you've listed, only @AngiTN has attended the After Hours event.

I believe @HopperFan and @Accident are the other DISers who have attended "After Hours."

I think my signature below has a event report for one of the after hours....

You can't do everything, the rides are just too long to do in 3 hours even with no wait. you can get everything if you start at 7 but you need to give up the night entertainment to pull it off. Now I hear people got in at 4pm like any other event and then came back out at 7 to pick up their lanyard so I think the disney system doesn't have an option for a 7pm ticket start. Of course they might have had a normal ticket get used so go in at your own risk at 4pm.

What I basically did was get dinner before the event, then head in at 7. I did a few longer rides I thought might be better with a larger group of people (jungle cruise and similar). then caught the night entertainment and got myself situated for the event to start by starting adventureland early and making my way back for many BTMR rides....

It's hard to describe how empty, but when your on 7dmt for 5 rides, the ride isn't full and you don't get off inbetween rides you get a little idea.... You get off space mountain and they tell you to follow the green line on the wall to get right back on and not bother with the walk all the way out. you start doing rides like barnstormer as a 6'4" adult and have the thing to yourself because your just running out of rides.. This is why I do not call it pay emh.. you do not get this experience at emh.

You do need to treat this different strategy wise.. Everyone is conditioned to rush to the big rides and then spread out. everyone went to 7dmt like it was rope drop and a combo of the last people to get into line and hte mass after hours crowd did back up that ride, but everything else cleared out. It's a great time to get in some smaller usually no line rides while the crowds disperse better and then hit the popular attractions....

I've really started to get into 360 video, sometimes called VR video.. I'm getting tickets to the first 3 events just to have empty rides to get great 360 video of.. it's like disney handed me the perfect situation to film..

edit to add:

this was the crowd leaving at the very end of the night and that was the largest crowd I saw all night.

20160422_020517-2-jpg.163497

Last edited:
You do need to treat this different strategy wise.. Everyone is conditioned to rush to the big rides and then spread out. everyone went to 7dmt like it was rope drop and a combo of the last people to get into line and hte mass after hours crowd did back up that ride, but everything else cleared out. It's a great time to get in some smaller usually no line rides while the crowds disperse better and then hit the popular attractions....

I agree with this. We had an infant in our group, so we went on many of the rides we could do with him first, and then split up later when all the big rides were a walk-on and we could take turns.

If I recall correctly in the 3 hrwe did
Jungle Cruise
Pirates
BTMRR several times without getting off
Haunted Mansion
Peter Pan
Small World
Met Anna and Elsa
7DMT multiple times in a row
Winnie the Pooh
Under the sea
Astro orbitor
Buzz Lightyear multiple times
Tried to do space mountain but it went down for the last hour of the event
We got ice cream and lots of drinks-they kept telling us to take them home
The best part was getting pictures of us laying on mainstreet with the castle behind us

We will be going to WDW Jan 26-31! Disney after dark will be happening on the 27! We also will be upgrading to APs when we get there, soooo my question is do you guys think there will still be tickets available for this when we get there since inwould obviously want to get the AP discount on these?! The hubby and I would love to do this!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter