Magic Key Renewals Start 8/18

Because then all APs would be able to use the LL lines all the time and DLR would end up with the same problems as WDW. Too many folks using the LLs. This way APs might buy it every now and then but probably not every single visit.
But back in the FP days, it was open to everyone AND there was MaxPass that could be added to APs. That seemed to work fine. That’s why I don’t understand why Genie+ / LLs seem to be more crowded despite fewer people using it each day compared to the old system.

Last edited:
Disney has covered their but now with not being able to sue. They can drastically cut down the number of APs they let into the park, while still letting day ticket guest in.

This was the original intent.

- MK holders are not buying into Genie+. Hence the discount addition. Why not add an additional charge to add Genie+ for the year.
I bet they’ll add the option at some point when G+ buy rates flatten out and they need a boost to show growth (maybe a year or two?)
- Is Free Photopass really that big of a perk?
Not really. But at least it’s something more than a free sticker or other useless trinket. There have been too many announcements lately that seem all negative, so it’s nice that some kind of actual perk has been added, even if it’s not a game changer.
- I wonder why certain MKH can only park at Toy Story Parking Lot and not the structures.
No idea, but wouldn’t this suggest that M&F/PP is seeing heavier usage than Toy Story, so they’re trying to shuffle some visitors to Toy Story.
- The inclusion of being able to upgrade makes me think there will be another pass coming.
I can see it being the return of Dream Key, no blackouts, park hop when you want, free parking, G+ for $1.8k??? I can see this happening just before the Christmas blackout dates.
If this happens, I can’t imagine it would only be another $200 to get G+ included and no park hopping restrictions.

I wish they would roll back park hopping restrictions for everyone. I don’t like the reservation system, but I really dislike that they have cut 5 hours off the value of park hopping. Does it really help them to limit hopping in the first 5 hours of the day?

I have a 4 day hopper I would like to upgrade to enchant. Can I do this over the phone? We will not be in DL until Aug 28th and I am afraid it will be sold out by then.

I have a 4 day hopper I would like to upgrade to enchant. Can I do this over the phone? We will not be in DL until Aug 28th and I am afraid it will be sold out by then.
They are not allowing new MKs, right now the 18th window is only for currently MK holders to renew.

But back in the FP days, it was open to everyone AND there was MaxPass that could be added to APs. That seemed to work fine. That’s why I don’t understand why Genie+ / LLs seem to be more crowded despite fewer people using it each day compared to the old system.
That is indeed a good question. I have no idea why it doesn't work the same as FP. In theory, it would even be less ppl because you cannot re-ride SM for example and it does help somewhat on that lvl since I was able to get SM LLs at like 8pm for 11pm which would have been impossible in the Before Times.

I've never considered going to the parks between December 22nd to Jan 1st because of the high ticket price and crowds. But now that every MK is blocked out during that period, I'm tempted to go to see what the parks will be like during that time.
Only one pass was ever not blocked out during that time. It has very little effect on the crowds. It’s a very crowded time period to visit the parks regardless of passholders block outs.

Only one pass was ever not blocked out during that time. It has very little effect on the crowds. It’s a very crowded time period to visit the parks regardless of passholders block outs.
you're probably right. But this is kind of unprecedented. There's never been a time where top tier AP holders were forced to purchase day tickets during these dates. I'm curious and really tempted to go now.

What is "select parking'? Is that VIP or Preferred?
Select parking is the structure or Toy Story. Doesn't include preferred or DTD parking.
you're probably right. But this is kind of unprecedented. There's never been a time where top tier AP holders were forced to purchase day tickets during these dates. I'm curious and really tempted to go now.
Over the last few years, Christmas week only had between 8-12% annual passholders compared to ticket holders. I don't expect it to make that much of a difference. Disney had to create a "Blocked Out Date" timeframe to keep the "No Blockout periods. We call that week "Newbie" week. It is fun to people watch that week.

I wasn't planning on purchasing Magic Keys, but the Inspire pass is interesting to me. May have to rethink if they ever start selling those again!

Do it! For science, and we the people demand a trip report after.
LOL. It would be a very expensive and risky science project. Especially since I didn't make any VGC reservations for that time. But I'm sure there will be plenty of Vloggers waiting to test this theory out in my stead.

The only effect I ever saw was in 2016 after the last Premium had expired a couple months before and it was just Sig+ and Premier in during that time. NYE was dead in comparison to the previous two years I had been there. It was still crowded, but not scary crowded. I agree that this change will have very little effect on crowds.

If you're talking about this year there's still plenty of active Dream holders and you won't be there without passholders. It's next year (unless a new tier is added) that all passes will actually be blocked. You would not get an accurate experiment.

But also like Mal said, there's really not that many passholders during those two weeks anyways. Many just avoid it and won't even be affected by the fact that the Inspire blocks them from going.

The return times for FP/MP would be much later on average than LL times were. I remember seeing Space Mountain run out of FP’s well before noon. Even though G+ has a 120 minute cooldown over MP, I find I am able to get far more LL’s than FP’s per day than I used to.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter