MAGIC Drydock

Other than repair damage from her extended stay at CC, her usual inspections, SOLAS upgrades, and a name change for her teen clubs, no.
Ive called DCL a few times asking, and also asking where she is going, and they havent heard yet.Last person I talked to that sounded like he knew what he was talking about, said the same thing I did, that previously shed gone to VA, and the Wonder went to Freeport, but there is nothing definite, on where shes going, or what there doing.Theyll know the same time we do. When she shows up in a FDD. Anything else is pure speculation.

Other than repair damage from her extended stay at CC, her usual inspections, SOLAS upgrades, and a name change for her teen clubs, no.
Ive called DCL a few times asking, and also asking where she is going, and they havent heard yet.Last person I talked to that sounded like he knew what he was talking about, said the same thing I did, that previously shed gone to VA, and the Wonder went to Freeport, but there is nothing definite, on where shes going, or what there doing.Theyll know the same time we do. When she shows up in a FDD. Anything else is pure speculation.

Several crew said the Magic would be in drydock in Virginia. Because I live near Norfolk and they were wanting some info about the area. One person mentioned new linens in addition to what was already mentioned.

Several crew said the Magic would be in drydock in Virginia. Because I live near Norfolk and they were wanting some info about the area. One person mentioned new linens in addition to what was already mentioned.
yay! Hopefully new bedspreads too. :thumbsup2

Can you elaborate? :confused3

When is the Magic going to dry dock?
After the WBTA Repo, early Oct.

We get off the Magic on October 2nd after the WBTA and our biggest hope is that they don't do what they've done in the past and start prepping her for drydock (tearing up things) while our cruise is still underway. Hopefully they'll wait until the last morning at least.

I'm on the WBTA too. What do they do when they are going to go into drydock? Seems like we should be treated the same as other cruise dates.

Rumor had it last year(one of the many) that there was issues with work visas for some contract workers that DCL wanted, and they couldnt get in to the US for the work, so the Wonders drydock was moved to Freeport. No one has really said officially and publicly about the sudden last minute move. Im sure theyll go thru the cabins and update things as necessary, like you mentioned linens etc. Something else Ive heard is that the ship is broken up in to sections, and each dry dock, a different area gets deep attentions, such as stripping rebuilds etc, and others a once over, like a simple paint job. Ill try and look up exactly where shell possibly be in Va, and Im fairly certain they used BAE systems.

As soon as she comes back from her TA, and shes due back in serivce for our 7 night on Oct 16th. I dont rememeber the exact start date off hand.

Where did you hear that the club's name is changing? What is it going to be called now?

It was posted it on one of your threads. Both the Magic and the Wonder are getting the Vibe and Edge. http://justforkidsdcl.com/# Vibe is going into Magic and Wonders foward funnels, and the Edge is the name change on the Magic,(it will be where Ocean Quest is now simple name change) and the conference room that occupies the same space on the Wonder, is being converted in Dec to the Edge and will match the Magics.

yay! Hopefully new bedspreads too. :thumbsup2

Can you elaborate? :confused3

After the WBTA Repo, early Oct.

Sure.
Apparently when she had her extended stay at CC in feb, she hit an unknown object that did substantial damage to her running gear. There was at least 1 thread on it, that the Magic had picked up a substantial shake, that had not been there before. There were divers that followed her to KW and St Kitts on her next 6 day trip, and I thnk 1 more stop after that. Again officially DCL is mum on the subject. I talked to what I consider to be a reliable source, who said the Magic was acting the same way that another work ship hed been on acted, that had a broken blade on her prop. At the same time, there was some pics that were posted of the Magic trying to get out of CC, and it showed a considerable amount of debris in the water that the thrusters were kicking up. Ive also heard a report that the thrusters were running at max power longer then normal, and may have overheated.Im sure someone is going to look hard at the thruster tunnels and the thrusters themselves, for any damage they may have picked up on the same day.

I'm on the WBTA too. What do they do when they are going to go into drydock? Seems like we should be treated the same as other cruise dates.

Depends on exactly what they have planned for the drydock. Its not uncommon on the last day and night, for contract workers, to start putting down plywood,to protect surfaces that are not going to be worked on, or where the big conex boxes are going to sit on her deck, tearing up carpets that are coming out anyway, and rip outs of areas that are projected to take the longest, like the Mickey pools,(On the DIY show, they pulled up the rubber coating and found the supports around the sides were rotting and rusting away, and it took almost the full drydock to fix the issues.) or structural changes, like in the kitchens of Plutos Dogs, etc. where things are going to be changed or moved.They try to minimize the impact on the guests experience, but there is no guaruntee.

This is going to sound over dramatic, and I don't mean it too, but...

Wonder/Magic getting Edge and Vibe is taking specialness/innovation from Disney Dream. :(

Wonder/Magic getting Edge and Vibe is taking specialness/innovation from Disney Dream. :(

I agree. Why change the names on the Magic/Wonder? I thought the Stack, Ocean Quest, etc. were cool enough names. :confused3

Maybe their trying to avoid confusion with referring to places on different ships. Same way I always say Topsiders but Wonder's passengers would say Beach Blanket Buffet.
Still, I think they should have left original ship names the same.

Well, all the restaurants and adult clubs/bars have different names. Are they going to change the names of all those to the same one? Don't think so.

I just hope DCL doesn't add anything more to Magic/Wonder from Dream. :)

I agree. Why change the names on the Magic/Wonder? I thought the Stack, Ocean Quest, etc. were cool enough names. :confused3

Maybe their trying to avoid confusion with referring to places on different ships. Same way I always say Topsiders but Wonder's passengers would say Beach Blanket Buffet.
Still, I think they should have left original ship names the same.

Prob time for an update. Im thinking there doing the same thing with Ocean Quest. Oceaneers lab Oceaneers club, are on all 4 ships.

Well, all the restaurants and adult clubs/bars have different names. Are they going to change the names of all those to the same one? Don't think so.

If youre reffereing to the Magic and Wonder, theres only 2 different rest. Lumieres/Tritons and BBB/TS. Between the Dream class, and the Magic clas, they are carrying over Palos, and AP. The Enchanted Garden, is very similar to AP. So, when you look at it, both classes are sharing different aspects of each others better qualities.

Curtis,

All of us that are on the boards daily know you love the Dream. I am thrilled that you are so excited and are in such anticipation of that ship. But, I don't know why you'd be against updates on the Magic/Wonder because they "might take away from the Dream." Speaking for myself, I love the Magic & Wonder. Yes, the Dream (and Fantasy) are going to be cool, new and exciting, but regardless of what updates they make, the Dream is still going to be the Dream, the Wonder the Wonder, etc. I don't think they are going to put an AquaDuck on them, etc. Are you going to be sad when the Fantasy basically mirrors the Dream like the Magic/Wonder mirror each other?

I think it's in Disney's best interested to keep everything new, hip, and updated to keep people sailing on ALL of their ships :flower3:

Disney does change things regularly . On our first cruise on the Wonder the teen club was called Common Grounds and was where Quiet Cove Cafe is. What is now the Stack used to be the ESPN Skybar.

. One person mentioned new linens in addition to what was already mentioned.

I was last on the Magic right after the last dry dock. This is one thing they DID NOT do then, so I am sure it is time now!! In fact they had done nothing to the staterooms at all, aside from the flat screen TV's. Our room still had the same plaster patch on the wall noted here in the stateroom report in 2005. ;)

We heard that the drink station on deck 9 by the Mickey Pool is getting reconfigured...similar to how they did it on the Wonder...along the walls vs in a circular area on the Magic. It did seem to help with the congestion in the area (cruised on the Magic Dec 09, Wonder Aug 10). Not a huge change, but something that can be accomplished only in drydock to alleviate inconvenience to passengers.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter