Magic bands linked?

Minuet888

DIS Veteran
When I ordered my magic bands are they automatically linked to account/trip?
How can I tell if they are linked?
How do I link them?
My family will all be linked together right since we are all on the same reservation?

They should be linked automatically if you purchased them from Disney in response to the invite in the My Disney Experience app. I’d check, though. You should be able to see them on the app as well.

Actually, you can check status on disneyworld.disney.go.com website. There is a magic band tab under My Disney Experience in the menu.

Last edited:

They are listed on there so I am assuming they are linked? But how do I put my card on there?

You don't put your card on a Magic Band.

NOTHING is stored on the bands. They are merely keys to access your MDE account. EVERYTHING is stored in your MDE account, including a credit/debit card number. You can add or change your card information on the My Profile section of the MDE app. Once you've done that the MagicBand will be able to access the card info from your account.

Steve

Is it possible to have two Magic Bands linked to the same person on the account? For example can I have one of the Magic Keepers that you hang on your lanyard that your puck goes into as well as a Magic Band on my wrist and have them both active for me? I'm going to assume no but I figured I would ask. I don't really like to have anything on my wrist for long periods of time but it would just seem like a pain in the rear end to use that screwdriver to constantly take the puck out of The wristband to put it into the magic keeper and back into the wristband when I wanted to wear the wristband again.

Is it possible to have two Magic Bands linked to the same person on the account? For example can I have one of the Magic Keepers that you hang on your lanyard that your puck goes into as well as a Magic Band on my wrist and have them both active for me? I'm going to assume no but I figured I would ask. I don't really like to have anything on my wrist for long periods of time but it would just seem like a pain in the rear end to use that screwdriver to constantly take the puck out of The wristband to put it into the magic keeper and back into the wristband when I wanted to wear the wristband again.

Yes, you can do that.

Steve

Yes, I have like 10 active MBs in my account. Usually wear a different one every day and often have an extra one or two in my backpack each day.

Can you not get ride pictures with the older bands?
Some newer attractions require that you have a MagicBand with a working battery since there is not a picture display at the end of the ride. The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, Slinky Dog Dash, and Frozen Ever After are some of those attractions without a photo display.

Disney has recently starting automatically linking ride photos using bluetooth on mobile phones in conjunction with the MDE mobile app.

As others have said, you can have an active puck in your Magic Keeper and an intact MB as well and can choose which one to wear. Open your MDE account and look at your profile and then open up your Magic Bands and Cards list. You can use any MB that’s marked Active, and if you want to use one that’s marked Inactive, just tap to reactivate it!

Thank you for all of the information! I feel like so much has changed since our last trip 3 years ago. Don't know what I would do without these forms!

Some newer attractions require that you have a MagicBand with a working battery since there is not a picture display at the end of the ride. The 7 Dwarfs Mine Train, Haunted Mansion, Slinky Dog Dash, and Frozen Ever After are some of those attractions without a photo display.

Disney has recently starting automatically linking ride photos using bluetooth on mobile phones in conjunction with the MDE mobile app.
A quick point about the magic bands. Many of us have our favorites.

There are two RFID chips in the band. One is a proximity chip. those are the chips that work forever (basically) and are similar to what you may have for a work ID badge, student ID, library card (remember them), etc. This is the "Chip" that is read when you "tap" your band (turnstiles, FastPass, hotel room, etc). Those chips do not need power.

The other chip is a longer distance chip, like an EZPass/SunPass toll reader. The embedded battery will work for about 2 years. That is the chip that is used for pictures. If your battery is dead, you will not get the pictures.

Now, for the funny story. Went with friends. They were linked to us, we have AP, so we get all the ride photos. Day two, we are at AK. Had gone to MK the day before. I start getting pictures on my account of empty boats on splash mountain. then pictures of single cast members making funny faces, and then whole boats. That afternoon it dawned on me what was happening, and I asked our friends if they had lost one of their magic bands. I was informed their son had lost his new band, but they had some old bands with them just in case.

I explained I knew where their lost band was. We had a good laugh with some of the pictures we saw...

A quick point about the magic bands. Many of us have our favorites.

There are two RFID chips in the band. One is a proximity chip. those are the chips that work forever (basically) and are similar to what you may have for a work ID badge, student ID, library card (remember them), etc. This is the "Chip" that is read when you "tap" your band (turnstiles, FastPass, hotel room, etc). Those chips do not need power.

Thanks for the chuckle with your story.

Just a slight point of correction: the passive RFiD chips do require power, but the minute amount of power required comes from the device being touched (aka Mickey's Head) rather than from an internal power source in the band.

Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter